• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Since Mic closed Lashing_Leaf's Donnie Darko topic for no real good reason, I decided it would be a good idea to have a general movie discussion going on. We have various music threads, sports threads, way too many anime threads, but not a single movie thread?

What's the last movie you saw? What'd you think?

What movies are you excited for?

Your favorites? and WHY?

for LASHING:

DONNIE DARKO, 2001

Donnie Darko is a very unique and surreal superhero movie. The overall story concerns with teenager Donnie recieving prophetic messages/visions from a guy in a scary bunny suit. He has a little less than a month before the world ends and he's been "chosen" to stop it. This involves a lot of time travel and other weird stuff.

But that's not even the best part of the movie. The best part is what we see of Donnie's home and family life. Every character in the movie is very vivid and colorful, and at times seem very realistic. The dialogue is really clever and catchy.

The soundtrack is also THE BOMB.

However I would stay away from the Director's Cut if you can. It sucks compared to the original version.

So yeah, talk about anything movie-related in here you chubs!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
And we can't have a music thread? :mad:

I've never watched Donnie Darko, but this thread makes me want to watch Let the Right One In again.

Edit: Actually, a movie thread makes more sense than a music thread; there isn't much movie discussion in here besides a couple of threads, and there are a ton of music threads.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Also anyone who claims they understood Donnie Darko the first time they saw it is a liar!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah. My main beef with DD is that there is a document that explains a lot of the plot, only it's not in the movie in any form. But it's still canon. I hate that.

Let The Right One In is a beautiful movie. I'm a little hesitant towards the American remake Let Me In, but the trailers actually look sorta decent. It looks like they're trying to make it more horror than the original.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I approve of Mic's actions :p

A movie that I saw recently that seems to really hit or miss is The Book of Eli.
Imo:
-fantastic cinematography
-good cast (can't get enough Tom Waits lol)
-very well done music

BUT, the main issue with it is
to understand what's going on at the end, the movie really does ask viewers to take a leap, depending on what your beliefs are.

I'd like to know what some of you think about this.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Anyone else wanting to see The Social Network?

Wow, it's been a long time since I've actually seen a movie in theaters. I want to say the last one I saw is Iron Man 2 but that was such a long time ago... I might be forgetting something.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
What!? Tom Waits is in Book of Eli? I have to see that.

And yeah, I was wary at first but Social Network is looking pretty **** good.

Me, I just watched Barton Fink from the Coen bros. It's amazing. It's very strange and I can't hope to describe what it's like. It's worth a watch if you're not a dummy!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I know, right? He's got this voice that fits characters so well. (Have you heard his music?)

and congrats on moderator......dom

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Let The Right One In is a beautiful movie. I'm a little hesitant towards the American remake Let Me In, but the trailers actually look sorta decent. It looks like they're trying to make it more horror than the original.
They're also talking out a lot of the controversial stuff like the
gender ambiguity ("I'm not a girl")
stuff.

I'll probably rewatch it soon; it's been a long time since I've seen it and watching Interview With the Vampire (great movie) the other day has left me hungry for a good vampire movie.

It also helps that every time I watch those movies, it feels like I'm slapping the face of the Twilight movie makers (they took a mediocre series and made it worse) and all the twi-tard fangirls.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
They're also talking out a lot of the controversial stuff like the
gender ambiguity ("I'm not a girl")
stuff.

I'll probably rewatch it soon; it's been a long time since I've seen it and watching Interview With the Vampire (great movie) the other day has left me hungry for a good vampire movie.

It also helps that every time I watch those movies, it feels like I'm slapping the face of the Twilight movie makers (they took a mediocre series and made it worse) and all the twi-tard fangirls.
Well, in the original movie it's even more explicit than that.
We are actually shown Eli's groin, and she's a eunuch

It's a shame because that is a really important part of the movie.

Jane

Smash Hero
this should develop into an awesome thread!

tommy, i saw book of eli. it was entertaining, but nothing spectacular. 3/5

this should spark up some discussion, last weekend, i saw for the first time, PULP FICTION. what do you guys think? film of the 90s? overrated?

i personally thought it was great, but i like resevoir dogs better, and inglorious basterds even more

finalark

SNORLAX
Last movie I saw was iRobot.

Still don't get why that movie gets so much hate (aside from that it was only very loosely based off of the original collection of short stories).

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
To each their own :/

I feel bad for having only just seen this, but I watched Memento for the first time tonight
:crazy:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, in the original movie it's even more explicit than that.
We are actually shown Eli's groin, and she's a eunuch

It's a shame because that is a really important part of the movie.
Yeah, I know, lol. Even with spoiler tags, I just don't really like to spoil things like that for people.

It really is a shame that they took it out, but I heard that the remake is still actually pretty good.

Olikus

Smash Champion
this should develop into an awesome thread!

this should spark up some discussion, last weekend, i saw for the first time, PULP FICTION. what do you guys think? film of the 90s? overrated?

i personally thought it was great, but i like resevoir dogs better, and inglorious basterds even more
Think the Tarantino Movies you mentioned are the three best films he has made. Hard to choose between them. Reservoir dogs and Pulp Fiction has the best dialog, but Christoph Waltz's performance lift Inglorious basterds up there with those two films. But the look Bruce Willis has when he hears Travolta flushing the toilet, is priceless.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I used to be obsessed with Tarantino back in the day. Pulp Fiction is what got me seriously into film. To me, Pulp Fiction is the definitive American film of the 90s, along with Scorsese's Goodfellas and PT Anderson's Magnolia.

Having said that, I find Reservoir Dogs hideously overrated and I think it's his worst movie besides Death Proof.

My Tarantino tier list would go

Pulp Fiction> Inglourious Basterds=Kill Bill> Jackie Brown> Reservoir Dogs>>>Death Proof

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Holy ****, appropriate bump here

Sally Menke, long-time editor to Quentin Tarantino's films, died this morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/28/sally-menke-quentintarant_n_741857.html

LOS ANGELES — An award-winning film editor has died while hiking in the Hollywood Hills during a record Southern California heat wave.

Assistant coroner Ed Winter confirmed Tuesday that the body found along a Griffith Park trail is 56-year-old Sally Menke, who edited every Quentin Tarantino film from "Reservoir Dogs" in 1992 to "Inglourious Basterds" last year. Identification was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

The body was found at 2:15 a.m. Tuesday along a remote Beachwood Canyon hiking trail. Her black Labrador retriever was nearby.

The cause of death hasn't been determined, but Winter says there is no sign of foul play. He wouldn't disclose details or speculate whether heat may factored in her death.

Menke had gone hiking Monday, when temperatures in Los Angeles peaked at 113 degrees.
Menke's editing is a huge part of what makes Tarantino's films what they are. This is so sad.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Yeah, Inglorious Basterds was great. It shoulda won Best Picture HANDS DOWN.

Also, last movie I watched was Silence of the Lambs. Great movie, great performances by all the cast(especially Hoppkins & whoever played Buffalo Bill).
Hannibal Lector and Buffalo Bill are truly the first villians in a non-horror movie to actually scare me. Hoppkins performance sent chills down my spine, and thats the first time thats happend scince I saw Heath Ledger/Aaron Eckhart in TDK.
Honestly, Lector is the best performence on screen that i've seen.(although i've yet to see the Godfather)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
over The Hurt Locker?....... i don't know about that

I was actually upset that A Serious Man didn't win anything

Olikus

Smash Champion
Didnt get why hurt locker won actualy. The story is straight forward, the actor performances is not great, and the script could need some more editing. Its an very very average film, and it does not deserve to be one of the most winning films of all time.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Hurt Locker had to win, same as an actor portraying a mentally ******** guy must always win best actor.

Just watched Last Train Home. **** good doc. Kind of freaked me out though when one of the people turned to the camera and shouted "You want to videotape the real me? Well here I am!"

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Didnt get why hurt locker won actualy. The story is straight forward, the actor performances is not great, and the script could need some more editing. Its an very very average film, and it does not deserve to be one of the most winning films of all time.
I disagree, I thought Jeremy Renner did an amazing job and is definitely the best part of the movie. It's just that his character isn't that deep or interesting at all.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I suppose it means more to one if the war is more personal to them (their or their family members'/friends' involvment), which yes, probably like Tomo mentioned, garnered more praise.

I still enjoyed it regardless

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, but the whole concept of Hurt Locker could be applied to literally any war, ever. That it takes place during a current war is arbitrary. The idea is that the main character is addicted to war/strife and is unsatisfied with a peaceful life. There is really no reflection of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars in the movie.

Like I said before, Jarhead covers a lot of similar themes and is a way better movie.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Yeah, but the whole concept of Hurt Locker could be applied to literally any war, ever. That it takes place during a current war is arbitrary.
Right here. This war has left many more with post traumatic stress disorder than any previous war due to its length and odd sense of conflict. This can't be as easily applied to any war, anymore than what is discussed in the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Hurt Locker isn't about PTSD.

And to say what you just did is very condescending and insulting to the victims and survivors of WW1 and 2, and not to mention practically every single other major war. War is traumatic no matter what. End of story. Moreover and again, that's not even what Hurt Locker is about.

-ANYWAYS- for a film that is actually, in part, about PTSD

TAXI DRIVER (Martin Scorsese, 1976)

What can I say? This is one of the greatest movies ever made. I rewatched it for the fourth time the other day and my admiration only grows with each viewing. Robert DeNiro gives an incredible, classic, performance of a very complex and unhinged character. It's a pretty nihilistic movie, but it's very powerful.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Yeah, but the whole concept of Hurt Locker could be applied to literally any war, ever. That it takes place during a current war is arbitrary.
This war specifically as a setting matters insofar as being what would appeal most to a contemporary crowd, and while that may not be itself a factor of quality, it does amplify the experience for a recent war veteran more than a WW2 veteran.

Not to mention how the external conflict, being the setting (and it's physical effects on soldiers), the enemies (often right in front of you like normal civilians) and the object of their job (being lifeless objects of destruction) envokes a tension that isn't quite capable of being applied to all other wars. I mean, it's a different war, things are different.

The tension, combined with the dynamic of the relationships that are made (other squad mates, civilian kids, doctors) is something the movie did well.

Good to know I have all this free time to write this **** :urg:

Oh ****, we're talking about Taxi Driver now

My bad...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This war specifically as a setting matters insofar as being what would appeal most to a contemporary crowd, and while that may not be itself a factor of quality, it does amplify the experience for a recent war veteran more than a WW2 veteran.

Not to mention how the external conflict, being the setting (and it's physical effects on soldiers), the enemies (often right in front of you like normal civilians) and the object of their job (being lifeless objects of destruction) envokes a tension that isn't quite capable of being applied to all other wars. I mean, it's a different war, things are different.

The tension, combined with the dynamic of the relationships that are made (other squad mates, civilian kids, doctors) is something the movie did well.

Good to know I have all this free time to write this **** :urg:

Oh ****, we're talking about Taxi Driver now

My bad...
No worries, we don't have to talk about whatever movie I last watched!

But as for your bit about conflict and settings, the Gulf War was very similar.

I agree, there were some very tense scenes in Hurt Locker. I also thought there were some very emotionally powerful moments as well. It's just at the end of it all, I wasn't moved very much. I think it's a good movie, maybe even a great movie, but I don't feel it was the best film of that year. Roger Ebert has Hurt Locker as his #2 film of the decade, and being someone who generally shares similar opinions as the guy, I cannot even fathom that decision.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Maybe one thing I should reconsider is that I compare Hurt Locker to other warmovies. And imo there are far better warmovies than Hurt Locker. That said, I still dont think Hurt Locker was the best movie of that year. And I seriously dont think it is one of the best movies of all time. But w/e, done is done.

The worst mistake the academy did imo was not to give the oscar for best supporting actor to Robert Duvall in 1979 for his role as Lt. Colonel Kilgore in Apocalypse Now. it wasnt even a year with alot of competition. Think he won all the other nominees he got for the role but not the oscar. I still dont get it. If any1 disagree, and can explain why, please let me know.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
The worst mistake they made was not giving There Will Be Blood best picture, pure and simple.

And to say what you just did is very condescending and insulting to the victims and survivors of WW1 and 2, and not to mention practically every single other major war. .
Then you really don't know anything about this war at all. The amount of mental trauma this war has induced is recorded at a larger volume than any other war. The suicide rate, PTSD, and nearly any other sign of mental health issue is almost always reported larger due to the irregularities within this conflict, from the climate, the length of deployment for each individual soldier, and dealing with an invisible enemy.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0539451520080506

Again, you can take the questions of morality in war and apply them to any war, but in no war other than the Vietnam war are these so fully brought into light. The struggle of the Vietnam war was morality. The struggle of the Iraq war is the mental health of our soldiers, deployed and veterans.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
edit: oops, I thought we were just talking about the 09 awards.

The Academy makes dumb decisions all the time. Crash winning best picture (puke), Juno winning best screenplay, etc.

But i agree, There Will Be Blood is one of the best movies of the decade, and I don't think No Country For Old Men is a better film at all. I could write a book about TWBB.

And if you keep derailing Tomo I'm gonna infract you.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Regardless of whether you agree with his opinions, Ebert is the greatest writer about cinema there is. I don't agree with a lot of his views but his eloquence and skill with words is unmatched by any other movie critic. So no, he isn't an *** just because you disagree with him sometimes.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Writing brilliantly and being full of yourself are not necessarily exculsive :ohwell:

I find his reasoning for many things to be unjustified, but he gets away with it because he's now pretty much the flagship of film critics.
[tangent]Except for his view on the whole videogames/art thing, he makes many good points.[/tangent]

But I apologize, if a critic generally matches your opinions, I have no place saying he's not fit to make material for you, and others, to read

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Don't you dare go see that movie. Blatant homophobic and rip off director :mad:

Anyone ever seen Manhunter? The plot was average, it's Hannibal Lector story after all, but god, the cinematography was just beautiful. Some of the best camera work I've seen in a long **** time.

Top Bottom