• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Olikus

Smash Champion
I love the gas station scene with Chigurh both in the film and the novel. So good.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Saw Memento first time today. Such a great movie. Anyone else seen it?

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Haven't seen Memento yet, but I want to

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
What 3D?
I dont get it
EDIT: oh ******* 3D

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
yes

Jackass

Anyway, it's really hard to give a review on the movie since it's essentially the only one in its particular sub-genre of comedy, so there's not much of a frame of reference for judging its quality.

If you liked the show, which you should, you will love the movie.
BTW, if any commercials for it come on tv, change the channel

Jane

Smash Hero
it was good, in my opinion. yeah like derp said, if you liked the show, or the previous two movies, youll enjoy this one.

this is the first time ive paid for a 3d movie since Up came out (back before i knew 3d was bull****) and, even though it was 12 ****ing 75, it was worth it for me. not just because it was ******* 3d, but because i went to the midnight showing at my theater was seriously like a **** party in a movie theater lol. there was like at least 4 beach balls going around, people yelling and laughing and stuff, and a fight almost broke out hahah, cuz someone got hit in the face with a beach ball.

but the BEST part was when they wouldnt start the movie because of the beach balls, and there was a manager waiting there for the people to give her the beach balls, she got all except one. she was persistent but finally like at 12:20, 10 full minutes after the movie was supposed to start, she gave up and just put the movie on.

good times, lol

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I wanna see that sooooo bad! I watched the previews and did not change the channel, and it looked hilarious.

Anyway, i saw Red sunday. Gotta say it was a pretty legit movie. Also (i didn't even know this) but it's based off a DC comic. It's pretty much all action and comedy. It kinda makes fun of other action movies such as Diehard and other movies. it's about this group of retired marines/Agents/epic ppl. One of them, Frances Moses (or Moses Frances i forget >_<), coined RED for Retired, and Extremely Dangerous is being hunted because he knows that the Vice President killed a large group of people illegally in Guatemala. The Vice president is using the FBI, Secret Service, etc. to to hunt him down. So he gets his team back together (and now they're all kind of old), but the catch is his friend is also being hunted down because they know Moses likes this friend. So he has to bring his friend along with him.

I recommend seeing it if you like action movies.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just watched Appleseed Ex Machina for the first time tonight. I liked it. I thought the three main characters were surprisingly well written and worked well off of each other and the action scenes were really entertaining. However, the plot fell short due to some inconsistencies and unanswered questions. Like how after
the brown-haired girl helped the cyborg escape she just kind of disappears from the movie without any sort of closure. If she was a minor character who got killed off after helping him this wouldn't bug me but she was a pretty important character before this.
Or how
the cyborg just sort of knew about this guy who was behind all of the bad stuff going down. It's made apparent that they've had some history but it's never explained or elaborated upon so it feels like it's kind of pulled out of nowhere. Plus the scene where they're talking was pretty confusing and didn't feel thought out.
Oh yeah, and
that machine woman at the end of the movie kind of came out of nowhere, I know that it's supposed to be the woman who used to run the lab but she kind of died in the flash back and it's never explained how she got to that state.

But besides that I found it to be pretty entertaining and worth a watch.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Paranormal Activity
Encounter: Deuce

The format for the first movie was very simple: particularly positioned camera views. Argo, as the sequel, there's not much deviation. Paranormal is really the epitome of the first-person theater that's so popular now. It's not dizzying (like, say, Cloverfield) and explores more options than the first one.

Through almost too realistic acting and healthy progression of conflict, what Paranormal 2 does best is maintain tension for looong periods of time, which, despite teasers from released footage
(some of which is not actually in the movie)
, sets up for what the original did so well, being to catch us off guard, which should be the point of going to see a horror film.

The movie foreshadows quite cleverly
and starts to tell an actual story. Yep. There's actual plot points revealed, which makes the experience all the more engaging

Obviously, as a sequel, it doesn't carry the same novelty of presentation as the first one. So more of the.... structure of the scare is predictable, if that makes any sense. Meaning I walked out less scared than I did after seeing the first one. HOWEVER, more than enough people tell me in their opinion that it was scarier, so it's really just up to your mindset walking in and the environment (a major part of the movie is being around a LOT of people).

I would suggest spending money to watch this movie.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

To start: I LOVED Paranormal Activity. The movie had balls to break the mold of typical American horror and go for a slow build story that focused on characters. Nothing insanely terrifying, but it worked out so well.

This sequel is the exact opposite. Instead of treading new ground, it literally circles the same path. You have a family, which is related to the family in the first one, who is the victim of a "ransacking." The ransacking is probably the demon from the first film, but it's a set-up to installing cameras in every room. So, the one innovation of the first film is adding cameras to multiple rooms. Okay...

Unlike the first film, the first 3 or 4 nights nothing happens. There's no fast forwarding over the boring nights, nothing to break up the monotony, nothing. The first "scary" thing we get is a door slamming, like in the first movie. In fact, every scary thing from the first movie is used in this film (in I believe the same order) but it's used multiple times. Like several doors will close, several dragging effects that rocked in the first film, it basically minimizes the scariness of it.

So, the worst part is the needless tie in to the first film. See, this family was actually plagued by the demon BEFORE the people of the first film, and then they sent the demon to them because it's there to claim the first born son. Now, this doesn't work because A. Katie never mentioned speaking to her sister about similar occurrences as she was experiencing in the first film, and B. it was noted that the demon latched on to Katie and that for the majority of her life, she experienced it. The movie's second worst issue is killing itself. One of the scariest scenes sees Kristi being possessed by the demon, exactly like Katie, only her only possession was her last one and lasted for a while. There's no logic here, she just gets possessed, which the doubting father sees on video, and then, eventually the night ends with her being exorcised. Instead of ending there and showing a cue card scene, the movie flashes to three weeks where Katie is over talking about her experiences in the first movie, then the movie replays the intro of the first movie. Then, the movie ends with Katie appearing, killing the father, throwing Kristi INTO THE CAMERA like as the did in the first movie, then taking the baby.

I think I would have excused the poor performance had the movie had some balls and thrown the baby at the camera instead as the last thing it showed, but nah. She took it away.

2/5

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I was thinking about it later and realized the major flaw was that it didn't develop its tension soon enough. The family is actually kind of funny, which doesn't help a lot.

About the ending, the family believes they've put off the threat, but as a purely evil entity still awaiting the fruits of its bargain, it decides to take the son (for whatever purpose) and dispose of the family anyway. Seems pretty appropriate to me. I just hope they don't try to make a third.

Flaws in the plot, while admittedly there, are not major enough to really ruin anything.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I watched V for Vendetta again yesterday, and it is still my favorite movie, after several years. It seems really underrated where I am.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I was thinking about it later and realized the major flaw was that it didn't develop its tension soon enough. The family is actually kind of funny, which doesn't help a lot.

About the ending, the family believes they've put off the threat, but as a purely evil entity still awaiting the fruits of its bargain, it decides to take the son (for whatever purpose) and dispose of the family anyway. Seems pretty appropriate to me. I just hope they don't try to make a third.

Flaws in the plot, while admittedly there, are not major enough to really ruin anything.
The family was terrible in my opinion. There were too many this time to create any dynamic. You had the disbelieving Father, then three other people who believed with one wanting to make contact. That isn't compelling enough. The father barely experienced anything to make him a believer as quick as he became one (whereas Micah's transition was forced since he saw footprints in powder, the father saw his wife dragging and immediately accepted everything; this is a philosophical revelation. It's like learning that there IS a Santa Claus now. Accepting would be precluded by rationalizing what happened).

The ending was lame. Period. Katie taking the baby was fine since the demon wanted the deal fulfilled (which was such a lame stretch since it was stated that the demons pick at random and latch onto someone in the first film). The ending was just too much like the first one for my liking (Katie is possessed, throws someone into a corner camera abruptly, looks demented).

Basically, it was WAY too much like the first movie for me to care. It was like those ****ty direct-to-DVD sequels of bad movies (Bring it On, Stick It, American Pie) where it takes what worked in the movies, and follows that formula. The third one (there will be a third one if this does even remotely well) will be straight to DVD.

Also, I REALLY hope Saw 3D is the end. Tired of seeing that movie even being hyped.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
How would seeing the wife being dragged downstairs not convince someone immediately? Imo, Micah took too long to come to the realization of the real threat in the first movie.

How would you have preferred it to end? It would have been nice for it to be conclusive enough to where the baby played a more major role in the ending (since we're left in the dark once the baby is taken). But as a segue to a 3rd movie, they may not have had much choice. So I suppose I'm saying I'll base the quality of the ending on what the franchise's plans are.

**** Saw

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
All I see on this page is blankness lol. In my film class soon I'm having a guest speaker that works "in the industry". So I should come up with some questions. Anybody have any ideas on what they would like to ask somebody "in the industry"?
Also, I wrote a review on The Town and The Social Network. Anybody who's interested in seeing it, and I'll put up a link to it from my FaceBook.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I just watched Appleseed Ex Machina for the first time tonight. I liked it. I thought the three main characters were surprisingly well written and worked well off of each other and the action scenes were really entertaining. However, the plot fell short due to some inconsistencies and unanswered questions. Like how after
the brown-haired girl helped the cyborg escape she just kind of disappears from the movie without any sort of closure. If she was a minor character who got killed off after helping him this wouldn't bug me but she was a pretty important character before this.
Or how
the cyborg just sort of knew about this guy who was behind all of the bad stuff going down. It's made apparent that they've had some history but it's never explained or elaborated upon so it feels like it's kind of pulled out of nowhere. Plus the scene where they're talking was pretty confusing and didn't feel thought out.
Oh yeah, and
that machine woman at the end of the movie kind of came out of nowhere, I know that it's supposed to be the woman who used to run the lab but she kind of died in the flash back and it's never explained how she got to that state.

But besides that I found it to be pretty entertaining and worth a watch.
Whoa, I didn't know there was a sequel to Appleseed. I'll have to check it out.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Just saw Pulp Fiction at a local badass cinema. Remembered nothing from it so this time around it was an incredible experience. I sort of stuck the Coen brothers in competition with Tarentino for best screenplay writers but goddamn Tarentino is good, Pulp was ****ing amazing.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
About Schmidt, 2004, Alex Payne

This movie's really under-appreciated. Jack Nicholson gives his most restrained and one of his best performances in years. He plays a retired insurance salesman who is quite depressed and unsatisfied with his pointless suburban life. His only daughter is about to marry a ******* mattress salesman and Schmidt couldn't be more discontent. The one outlet for his pain comes in the form of one of those outreach programs, where you send money to organizations to feed starving foreign kids. Schmidt finds that he can let out all his problems, in letters to his sponsored child Ndugu.

Then the movie becomes a bit of a road-trip movie with Schmidt trying to find himself, as he goes across the country to convince his daughter not to marry a schmuck. It sounds a little schmaltzy when I describe it, but the movie is wise and touching beyond belief.

5/5

Runaway, 2010, Kanye West

Sure, I guess I'm cheating here since this is a 35 minute glorified music video. I'm an abashed Kanye fan but even I was taken aback at how well made and beautiful this movie is. It's Frederico Fellini meets Michael Jackson's Thriller. I imagine this movie will make many people quite mad. It has a very avant-garde artsy posturing to it, completely unlike any hip hop video production or honestly, any music video production (excepting Pink Floyd's The Wall).

Here is the perfect marriage of images with music. The world of this film is so slick, magic and endearing that I got chills several times. Having said that, Kanye should have made it completely dialogue free. The dialogue is horrible and the weakest part of the film. It weakly tries to attach a message to the visuals and it just comes off as hamfisted. The only good line is the first one "First rule in this world baby, don't pay attention to anything to see on the news."

4.8/5

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Next Batman movie title confirmed.
The Dark Knight Rises
The Riddler and Mr. Freeze will not be the villians
Harvey Dent/Two-Face will not return because he died at the end.
The Joker, sadly, will not be returning for obvious reasons.
That is all.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The Dark Knight Rises
That is all.
I think the only new info out of all this is that we know the title and that the Riddler was deconfirmed for being the villain, but that's still rather surprising to me considering he was pretty much the most-speculated about and there was a lot more buzz about him surrounding the third film. With him off the table I'm even more curious.

For now I'm putting my money on the Penguin.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Just wondering if anybody saw SAW 3D, and if it was any good. I don't really want any spoilers, I'm just curious how it compares to SAW 2-6.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
What annoys me is how nobody has seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. For me, when I watched Inception, I thought of this film and The Matrix.

Now Inception is an entirely different film from these 2 (and this isn't a criticism of Inception, I'm buying that film on DVD because I liked it) but it has elements of both these films in it. The Matrix because of the surreal fight scenes and Eternal Sunshine because of the whole surreal world and dream elements.

But anyway Eternal Sunshine is definitely one of my favourite films, but I know almost nobody who has seen it. It's not a blockbuster mega film but its not exactly obscure either, just look at this excerpt from the top of Wikipedia:

The film was a critical and commercial success, developing a strong cult following and receiving myriad accolades, winning the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. The film was lauded by critics as one of the best and most thought-provoking films of 2004, and, in recent lists, has been acclaimed as one of the best films of the decade.
But to be fair a lot of the the actors in it are quite obscure and are relatively unknown to Hollywood:

Jim Carrey
Kate Winslet
Kirsten Dunst
Elijah Wood

The thing that always makes people lose interest though is when I say it's Jim Carrey in a non-comedic serious role. For some reason my friends always want to see him in the same role he's been in for the past 20 years, and if he isn't pulling wacky faces in every scene then they're just not interested.

So, in conclusion, watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's fantastic.

/vent

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Just wondering if anybody saw SAW 3D, and if it was any good. I don't really want any spoilers, I'm just curious how it compares to SAW 2-6.
The last Saw I watched was Saw 2, then I said "screw this," and just read spoilers. I read the spoilers for Saw 3D, and it's about the same thing that made me annoyed with the first two.

If you enjoyed the rest, then I'm sure you'll enjoy this one, but it doesn't end with a final note, so I wouldn't be surprised with a Saw 8.

What annoys me is how nobody has seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. For me, when I watched Inception, I thought of this film and The Matrix.

Now Inception is an entirely different film from these 2 (and this isn't a criticism of Inception, I'm buying that film on DVD because I liked it) but it has elements of both these films in it. The Matrix because of the surreal fight scenes and Eternal Sunshine because of the whole surreal world and dream elements.

But anyway Eternal Sunshine is definitely one of my favourite films, but I know almost nobody who has seen it. It's not a blockbuster mega film but its not exactly obscure either, just look at this excerpt from the top of Wikipedia:

But to be fair a lot of the the actors in it are quite obscure and are relatively unknown to Hollywood:

Jim Carrey
Kate Winslet
Kirsten Dunst
Elijah Wood

The thing that always makes people lose interest though is when I say it's Jim Carrey in a non-comedic serious role. For some reason my friends always want to see him in the same role he's been in for the past 20 years, and if he isn't pulling wacky faces in every scene then they're just not interested.

/vent
Movie is AMAZING, and I love showing it to people who've never seen it or heard of it before, because it's such a fun movie to watch and discuss.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Jim Carrey
Kate Winslet
Kirsten Dunst
Elijah Wood

/vent
Is this a joke post?

Anyways, Eternal Sunshine's probably my favorite sci-fi movie of the 2000s. It also happens to be one of my favorite romantic dramas of the 2000s as well.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
yeah man, I'd be surprised to hear someone hadn't seen it. Saw somewhere online at the turn of the year where it was at the top of a Best Movies of the Decade list

finalark

SNORLAX
The Dark Knight Rises
That is all.
Link?

Avatar 2 and 3 were announced. I won't fall for that again.
I second this.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I wish Avatar was 2.5 hours of sightseeing on Pandora. I love the scenes where Jake and the Navi girl just chilling in the wilderness. It's so much more potent and beautiful than any of the plot aspects.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The last Saw I watched was Saw 2, then I said "screw this," and just read spoilers. I read the spoilers for Saw 3D, and it's about the same thing that made me annoyed with the first two.

If you enjoyed the rest, then I'm sure you'll enjoy this one, but it doesn't end with a final note, so I wouldn't be surprised with a Saw 8.

I don't know, having seen it last night, I thought it ended on a final note. Pretty big spoilers included in the tags below, for the record.

I thought having Gordon be the big major apprentice made perfect sense and that last scene was something many SAW fans had been asking for for years to be the way it goes out. Only real complaint is that Jill's death seemed like a lot less of a big deal than I expected it to. Like, to me it felt like it was supposed to represent the definitive death of Jigsaw's original goal and intentions. Also have to say that in some weird way, Chester Bennington's (Evan) trap with the car was probably my favourite one. Plus, to me Gordon throwing away the very saw he used to cut off his own foot symbolized so much more than just stopping Hoffman from getting out. To me, it seemed like he was saying he was done with all of the Jigsaw stuff, and that now that he had fulfilled John's last request he was going to put everything behind him so that he could move on with his life. But perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Top Bottom