• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

soap

Smash Hero
ended up watching easy A. wasn't bad. Light-hearted and what I was in the mood for. The **** happened to Amanda Bynes tho? she used to be kinda hot right?

I just watched Braveheart for the first time today....lol.

I prolly have all kinds of preconceptions because of what I know about Mel Gibson, but ya, lol. long movie, entertaining at least.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Wait what? People liking the Mario Bros movie with John Leguizamo and the horrible acting? You guys usually have good taste so I'm going to let it go... for now.
Why would you expect good acting out of a movie about Mario? It's about having fun, not seeing award-worthy performances. For the record, nobody in the movie does a horrible job.

Paranoid Park, 2007

It's a shame when a 1.5 hour movie feels like 3 hours long. This is the story of a teenage skateboarder who is involved with the accidental killing of a train depot security guard. The film mostly concerns itself with the boy's mindframe after the incident. It is filled with incredibly unendearing characters, unemotional to totally horrific acting, unfocused direction and writing and an irritating sense of artistic pretense about it. I could not wait for this movie to be over.

The film tries to paint a realistic portrayal of teenagers and suburban life and flops on its face for the most part. The casting of local teens instead of actual actors is commendable, but it makes the final product a lot worse. There are dozens of awkwardly written, awkwardly performed scenes of the characters trying to make sense of life. It's completely un-charming and off-putting. Gus Van Sant should stop making movies about teenagers.

2/5

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I rewatched Transformers (first one) a few days ago and it's actually not that bad but the biggest mistake that Micheal Bay made were the stupid camera positions. If all of the actions scenes had been shot from a bit further and a lot less shaky, it would've been a lot more pleasant to watch.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I don't expect award winning acting at all, I would expect a Mario movie to be light-hearted. However, the acting is just really cheesy and corny, not to mention that neither one actually acts like Mario or Luigi at all. It's also post-apocalyptic for what seems like no reason at all. Usually, a post-apocalyptic setting would be used to try to convey something such as nihilism. If they wanted a fun movie, why not stick to the fun setting and colors known in the game? The only good thing I could say is that some of the costumes are well done, but then again, they're out of place.

What do you guys think of Kevin Smith trying to auction out Red State? At the premier, he was going on a rant about the movie industry and how it screws directors over. Here's a link to some info
http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-smit...tors-announces-full-details-selfdistribution/

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Kevin Smith is a complete ******.

He didn't auction out his movie. He brought it out at Sundance and said he was auctioning it out, then proceeded to buy it himself. He wasted tons of people's time and basically just talked **** to them the whole time. Complete idiocy and disrespect for real independent filmmakers and distributors. His movies suck total *** too.

Amide

Smash Lord
Paranoid Park, 2007

It's a shame when a 1.5 hour movie feels like 3 hours long. This is the story of a teenage skateboarder who is involved with the accidental killing of a train depot security guard. The film mostly concerns itself with the boy's mindframe after the incident. It is filled with incredibly unendearing characters, unemotional to totally horrific acting, unfocused direction and writing and an irritating sense of artistic pretense about it. I could not wait for this movie to be over.

The film tries to paint a realistic portrayal of teenagers and suburban life and flops on its face for the most part. The casting of local teens instead of actual actors is commendable, but it makes the final product a lot worse. There are dozens of awkwardly written, awkwardly performed scenes of the characters trying to make sense of life. It's completely un-charming and off-putting. Gus Van Sant should stop making movies about teenagers.

2/5

Haha I guess I'll have to agree to disagree. Lots of the movie annoyed me and came off as pretentious, but overall, I feel like the movie painted a moving picture of a teen struggling to deal with his mistakes. The awkwardness of the characters is. . . Awkward, but it's definitely more real than the perfectly phrased, weird sounding dialogue that lots of teen movies have.

From your last sentence, I'll take it you've seen and disliked Van Sant's Elephant, which is even more pretentious than Paranoid Park, but I guess it just worked for me.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
No, actually I love Elephant. Elephant's banality really worked, especially to make the last half of the movie more intense. It also had very little dialogue all in all and it was things I could imagine teenagers talking about, so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Paranoid Park has this god awful narration and the characters wax poetic and ruminate about "the war", and the whole time just feels like a cheap knockoff version of a Terrence Malick movie or films like George Washington.

Amide

Smash Lord
Good, because I know that lots of people are turned off by Elephant, but I think it works brilliantly. It was fun showing it to my brother without telling him anything beforehand to see his reaction. Avoiding a straightforward motive for those two characters really made it more powerful, more so by avoiding typical glamorization of high school.

And I suppose I'll add very brief reviews of obscure movies I've seen recently. . .

Winter's Bone: This Best Picture nominee about a girl looking for her criminal father has a stunning performance by Jennifer Lawrence, in a role that could easily be acted in an unaffecting earnest fashion, but is instead played with incredible heart. The movie itself, however, has somewhat of a strained sincerity in its depiction of the South, and comes off a little bit faker than authentic. Overall, I didn't think there was too much to take away from it, but its acting was some of the best of the year. 2.5/4

Enter the Void: Directed by Gaspar Noe, creator of the film Irreversible, generally regarded as one of the most disturbing films of all time, Enter the Void is extreme, but not to the same degree or with as much power as his previous feature. He's clearly a gifted filmmaker, as evidenced by the gripping, POV opening, but he gets very self-indulgent, and for a film made in a way trying so desperately to say "Look at me," there's little point besides the basic "Being a drug dealer is usually a bad idea." 1.5/4

Dogtooth: It's pretty amazing that this movie got nominated for an Oscar. It's extreme at parts, and pretty disturbing. That said, everybody should look fot this film about an idiosyncratic family and their bizarre practices. It's one of the most original films I've seen, and one that you'll want to talk about a lot after seeing it. 3.5/4

Amide

Smash Lord
Yes! PTA is like, my favorite director, and it's exciting that he has two movies in the works (I was wondering why The Master was not having much progress). I can't wait.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
PTA has been my favorite filmmaker for many years now. His major flaw has been a pretty damn slow work-pace, but two films in a short amount of time will make up for that.

TLink, what do you think of Magnolia? It is perhaps my all-time favorite movie.

Amide

Smash Lord
I thought Magnolia was brilliant, and it amazingly failed to bore me in its 3 hour+ runtime (Obviously, lots of critics disagreed and called it a "mess" of sorts). I think PTA managed to make a film that was funny, heartbreaking, and fascinating. Some people I know who have watched it regard it as a movie about coincidence, but while coincidence opens the film and ends it, I feel like it's more about loss and how damages lives can hurt others. And it does that remarkably by making you feel for seemingly unredeemable characters, and without being manipulative as some modern-day movies do. I also feel like lots of interconnecting storyline movies are partially that way just out of supposed cleverness, but in Magnolia it's more revealing and layered. I do have minor problems with some parts of the film, but that doesn't stop me from giving it four out of four stars.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I liked The Social Network a lot after I first saw it. After several months, the admiration has worn a little bit. Nothing about the film really begs me to watch it again. It is expertly crafted and acted but it lacks some emotional punch for me.

@TLink: Magnolia

I agree. I used to be caught up on the themes of coincidence and intersections, but I've come to realize that those themes are almost secondary. While the film is about MANY things, I think the most prominent theme is how our actions have far-reaching consequences that we never realize. There is a circular concept to almost everything in the film. People paying for the wrongs done to them by their parents ("the sins of the father visited upon the children") with the inability to love.

A lot of people hate the "singalong" to the Aimee Mann song that comes late in the film but I think it's not only incredibly emotionally effective, but it is a good summation of the film's view on humanity and society: "it's not going to stop until you wise up".

I also agree with the intersections of the characters. Ensemble films like these often use the interconnectedness of the events as a way to make a film more complex or "impressive". Here, PTA's characters are connected on a deeper, spiritual or cosmic level. Everyone's sadness and pain is one. They are connected on a human level, not just by mere plot machinations.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
The social network was really good. I agree that some of the "oh my god!" that I had after originally watching it have worn off I still go back to for a great ensemble performance by everyone in the cast. Also it's got the most intense rowing scene in the history of pretty much ever. So there is that.

Also does anyone have any oscar predictions? Is this allowed in this thread? If not should I run now?..........

Amide

Smash Lord
@Luigitoilet

Haha the Aimee Mann song was one of the problems I was referring to. It was a little distracting and weird last time I remember it, but it's been a while since I've seen the film. I'll give that scene another look though. And I definitely agree with your view on the characters' human connection. Definitely a deeper film than many give credit for.

On The Social Network...

I'd give it 3.5/4 and consider it either the best or second best 2010 release I've seen (still not sure if I like Black Swan more or not). Contrary to LT's opinion I think it's very rewatchable. It has brilliant editing, cinematography, directing, an amazing score and performances, and manages to make coding look kind of cool. I do think that the movie's most praised aspect, its screenplay, is actually kind of its weakest link (not that it's bad, it's great). I found one phrase somewhere on the internet that describes my take towards the film's writing: "Overwritten and under-expressed." Not that movies need to have a message, but I feel like The Social Network's themes are not as deep as some critics say. . . (I'm looking at you, Peter "The Social Network defines the generation" Travers)

@Colenstien

I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed. But the thread's too inactive for several opinions.

Picture: The King's Speech
Director: Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)
Actress: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Actor: Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
Supporting Actress: Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit)
Supporting Actor: Christian Bale (The Fighter)
Original Screenplay: The King's Speech
Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network

Actor is a complete lock, director might go to Fincher, supporting actress is a toss-up, and the rest are pretty safe.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
So we're looking at Kings Speech to win 4 of the 6 major awards

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I haven't seen King's Speech yet, but man does it have the most boring premise in the world.

Desperate Living, 1977

This movie is my introduction to the infamous John Waters, and I'm almost at a loss of words...

Neurotic housewife Peggy returns from a stint at the mental hospital and is overcome with paranoia and, well, neuroses. She believes her children are having sex with one another, and that her husband wants her dead. So, she convinces her gigantic black maid, Grizelda, to smother the husband with her ***.

So, Peggy and Grizelda go on the run, and after having a run-in with a quirky perverted traffic cop, they find a town of criminals and outcasts called Mortville. It's cramped, filthy and full of bizarre characters. So ensues a climax of perversion and debauchery. Lots of lesbian sex, improptu sex changes, murder, disease, filth and so on. It's incredibly bizarre and gross, but you know what? I kinda like it. John Waters has balls.

3/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCyMkgqY2FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3BfLOZBT_c&feature=related

"how about my life!? you have enough allowance to pay for that!?!?"

ziesha

Smash Rookie
the last movie i saw was the green hornet and mine favorite is titanic and final destination !

Amide

Smash Lord
The King's Speech wasn't really that bad a movie in my opinion (3 out of 4) but it's unfortunate that it's going to win to riskier, better pieces of work, and that the Academy is rewarding a typical "Oscar film" for Picture for the first time since 2005. I can't blame them for liking the film though. It's pretty funny, agreeable, and has an inspiring message.

@ziesha

Interesting that you name Titanic as one of your favorites. That movie gets a lot of flack but I love it.

@Lt

Haha props to you for admitting you liked that. I haven't watched any of Waters's movies but I've heard from one of my friend's parents that "Pink Flamingoes" is the most disturbing movie he has seen. I've heard what's in it though and I wouldn't recommend it. . . Hahahaaa.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Haven't seen a movie in a long time. Last one I saw was Tangled, which I liked. Usually, I don't like to go spend money wildly in theaters unless the movie is praised by critics.

So yeah, that's how I go based on what movies I should watch in theater. Personal interest, and what the critics have to say. Usually has to be a 80% or higher for me on Rotten Tomatoes.

What gives you the incentive to see a movie in theaters?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I [...] never go on Rotten Tomatoes.
THANK YOU
__

I can trust myself pretty keenly by gauging whatever the trailers decide to show.

Another huge factor to go out and see a movie for me is which/how many friends want to make a night out of it. The Expendables AIN'T NO MASTERPIECE, but that night was overall a fun one iirc.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Not to say I never read critic reviews, but I tend to wait until after I see the movie and read them to get a different perspective of the movies. I just plain don't trust other people's taste because mine is often pretty different.

and oh, Sucker Punch is going to be the greatest movie of all time

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
All I heard was, "hooves for feet" :scared:

There is an alternate, more cookie-cutter trailer that didn't quite have the same impact.

It'll make for a good midnight premier.

Amide

Smash Lord
That trailer has me sold as well, although there does seem to be too many young-girl exorcism movies. Hopefully this one will be original.

I don't think rottentomatoes is evil, I mean, it tells you whether critics like it or not, which may help you decide which movie in the theaters you'd mind seeing the least. Sometimes people take it too seriously though, like when my parents the other night decided we'd be more likely to enjoy a 80% movie than a 66% one, and on that factor alone. >__<

So, strangely enough, it was just last night when I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time. I don't know what to make of it, but I did like it quite a bit. It's classic status sure surprises me due to its weirdness, but I guess it is the type of movie that's particularly memorable.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
^Maybe if I'm stoned?

King's Speech took it home, no real surprises overall (except maybe supporting actress, I thought the little girl from True Grit was great).

Anyone hear of The Poughkeepsie Tapes?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah. Not really interested in all those snuff-like movies really.

Found some interesting films I'd like to check out

NOT SAFE FOR WORK/SCHOOL

[yt]QFtDzK64-pk[/yt]

also an extremely bizarre looking (even more than that one^) film called The Oregonian. The trailer left me almost nauseous, without any gore (aside from a fair bit of blood), very Lynchian. It might not even be officially released but I think the director has it uploaded online somewhere.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I really enjoyed Battle: LA

It was quick to start without disengaging from the characters personally.
I was kept interested and excited after most developments.
It held effective tension when it wanted to.
Love interest subtext and emotional plights enhance your connection to the characters without being a distraction from the action you would probably go to a war movie to see.
It was pretty "America! **** Yeah!", but I mean, they didn't really do or say anything they shouldn't do or say during an alien invasion.
[/imo]

Top Bottom