• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Artist name: Army of the Pharaohs ("presented" by Jedi Mind Tricks)
Genre: Rap (please don't flame me because I listen to rap, I listen to other genres as well)
Other notes: These guys are really not known much, but they have some good rap of many different kinds. Army of the Pharaohs is basically a group of 50 or so rappers assembled by Jedi Mind Tricks. Most of their tracks feature many different people who each rap one verse. It's very good for those who like the kind of rap where multiple artists are featured. Anyways, if you're interested, "Seven" and "Dump the Clip" are two good examples. It shows their good variety of styles and song lengths.

NOTE: As is the case for most rap, this music is definitely considered "explicit".

Artist Name: Avenged Sevenfold
Genre: Metal
Other notes: A great metal band. I'm sure many of you have heard of them, but to those who don't: Give 'em a try! It's not too heavy like death metal, but not too light either. Diehard metal fans and casual rock listeners alike will be able to enjoy this group. Their latest albums are a bit lighter than their older ones.

NOTE: Avenged Sevenfold has several explicit songs, but many are not explicit and even the ones that are use curse words sparingly.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Artist Name: Beirut
Albums: Gulag Orkestar, The Flying Club Cup, March of the Zapotec/Holland
Genre: Combination of elements of Eastern European and folk with Western pop.
Starter Songs: Nantes, Guyamas Sonora
Other Notes: This is a great band. They have wonderful instrumentation, great vocals, and they're incredibly fun to listen to. Beirut won't be everyone's cup of tea, but they're worth the listen if you can get into them.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3ZAs17uAg

EDIT: Sorry, one of the albums is March of the Zapotec/Realpeople Holland. I knew that wasn't right somehow.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
Artist Name: Thrice
Genre:Rock/Metalish
Other Notes: this isn't that slow paced metal where the guitarist
is palm muting the entire time, it's a pretty good band, they're a little tiny bit like Thursday.

Artist: Iron and Wine
Genre: Folk
Notes: This band has a nice soothing sound that helps with the sleepy time junction
it's a one man band, and the guy has really soft voice.

Artist: Sound of Animals Fighting
Genre:Experimental/Screamo
Notes: This band is really great, they have a really different sound, some of their songs are really fast paced and some of them are just slow and relaxing.

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
Band name: Havayoth
Genre: "Gothic" Metal
Other notes: Only released one album back in 2000 entitled His Creation Reversed. Features the vocalist of Borknagar and Vintersorg.

yoshq

Smash Master
Artist Name: Into Eternity
Genre: Progressive death metal
Other notes: listen to Buried in Oblivion (the album), don't bother with the others. This is my second favorite band, and I am a huge metal connoisseur. Their singer has the most unique voice I've ever heard, able to reach amazingly high pitches. Their guitarist is also extremely talented, and they change beats frequently throughout the song much like all that remains. not for the light hearted.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928

Name: Blue Scholars
Genre: Underground Hip Hop

These guys are not mainstream, so they hold something very different from other artists. Think, the opposite of Lil' Wayne. Meaningful lyrics and awesome beats.

Blue Scholars Live for a 30,000 person crowd - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sA3qamPyEw

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Band:Rhapsody of Fire
Genre:Melodic Power Metal
Other Notes:They sound like Dragonforce + more win.
Seriously. They play in much the same style of Dragonforce, but their music relies less on super-speedy solos and impossible-to-nail riffs. They play melodically, but they balance it with a power metal sound. These guys are what Dragonforce could be.

Emerald Sword
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6YHQ8AZzU

Rage Of The Winter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6ztRsh0iw

Holy ThunderForce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrBIBfay_xQ

Power Of The DragonFlame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRzBg4hC2z8

Wisdom of the Kings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_d7ReeVkGo

yoshq

Smash Master
^ been there, done that. I just got a question, does anyone listen to Arsis and/or Into Eternity and know some bands that sound a lot like them (fast, melodic)? I think they're both amazing but few and far between.

Snail

Smash Lord
I approve of this post. Also, more acts to go with it: 3, Pure Reason Revolution, Abigail's Ghost.
Thanks for your recommendations! I really like Pure Reason Revolution! Although they went a little overboard with the electronics on Amor Vincit Omnia in my opinion xD

Haha! That was me, and looking back I agree with you. It was right after I found out about them through Wilson's work on Blackwater Park. Those were actually the first two tracks I heard and I didn't exactly have much else to suggest at the time. I just didn't know what I landed on.

Due to the quality of your post, the fact you used the search function and evidence of good taste, I'm going to pay attention to your other two suggestions as I rarely branch out from my standard music library.
Thanks! Do tell me how that turned out, if you're reading this thread again!

So I'm back with some time to spare and I have some more music to share! I'll start off with...

Band Name/Artist: Anekdoten
Genre: (Swedish, heavy, dark, psychedelic at times) Progressive Rock
Notes: Anekdoten is a (rather underground) Swedish progressive rock band from the area of Borlänge. The group started out as a King Crimson cover band called "King Edward", but in 1991 they changed their name to Anekdoten, as they started writing their own music (don't worry, all lyrics are in English). Their first real album was titled Vermod and was released in 1993. Although many critics disliked the first album, their third album From Within (1999) received many positive reviews, as did Gravity (2003) and A Time of Day (2007). Their music is best described as dark, psychedelic, heavy progressive rock, at times gloomy and distorted (especially on their early albums they sometimes sound like Iron Butterfly at their worst) but always very atmospheric.
Recommended Album(s): From Within (1999), Gravity (2003) and A Time of Day (2007). Vermod ('93) and Nucleus (2000) if you love King Crimson and distorted guitars.

Band Name/Artist: Spock's Beard & Transatlantic
Genre: Symphonic/progressive rock
Notes: Spock's Beard, formed in 1992 by Neil Morse, is neo-progressive rock leaning heavily on Yes, ELP and Genesis-influences, with lots of keyboard use and a very symphonic sound, complex compositions (ranging from one minute up to 30 minutes length) and superb musicianship. Their most revered albums are Beware of Darkness, considered to be one of the best prog-rock releases of the 90's, and concept double album Snow. Neil Morse left the band after the recordings for Snow due to his conversion to Christianity in 2002, and the band took drummer Nick D'Virgilio as their lead vocalist.

Transatlantic is a progressive rock "supergroup", formed by Neil Morse in 2000 and consisting of members of Spock's Beard, Marillion, The Flower Kings and Dream Theater. They only released two albums due to Morse leaving in 2002, but have recently announced to be working on a new album that will supposedly be released this year. Both SMPT:e (a play on words, as both a combination of the members' last initials, as well as a common machine time protocol used in high end recording studios) and Bridge Across Forever received extremely strong critical reviews, including "some of the best progressive rock music ever written" (Robert Taylor in Allmusic) and "a fireworks of ideas and incredible musicianship" (The Metal Observer).

Recommended Album(s): Spock's Beard: Beware of Darkness ('96), V (2000), Snow (2002). Transatlantic: SMPT:e (2000), Bridge Across Forever (2001)

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Band name/Artist: The Appleseed Cast
Album: Two Conversations, Peregrine, and Sagarmatha
Genre: Post-Rock/Indie
Other Notes: like most post-rock and indie music, "The Appleseed Cast" usually tells stories through their albums combined with easy listening; their 2006 album, "Peregrine", is about a girl named Peregrine accidentally murdered by her father in the woods, hence he's a hunter; it's very abstract music to me, and anyone with a pretty good ear for music should appreciate the instrumental bits more than anything. ambient pieces of music create moods, thoughts, and visions without lyrics, which is a special thing for me. try it out, it's worth a try.

Band name/Artist: Kwoon
Album: Tales and Dreams
Genre: Ambient
Other Notes: Kwoon is similar to the more recent bits of The Appleseed Cast in some ways, but in others, they're a bit deeper and more abstract. I'd recommend watching a video of "I Lived On The Moon" featured in this album Tales and Dreams, and look up the lyrics for it; since you obviously have trouble understanding him. his singing is usually not very bold, and just adds to the atmosphere of the song, but they actually have good meaning. I'd try watching that video, and if you're into more ambient pieces of music, i'd give their songs "Blue Melody" and "Eternal Jellyfish Ballet" a listen.

Band name: Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Album: F#A#Infinity
Genre: Experimental, Progressive Rock
Other Notes: Godspeed You! Black Emperor have been making albums since '97, so it's relatively easy to find their material in stores or on torrent sites. The music usually have no lyrics, and the songs usually last a rough 17 minutes; but like any progressive music, i'd have to compare this music to a story. every story has a start, ups and downs, a climax, and a resolution. the climaxes of their songs are pretty intense, like the drum line in "East Hastings" in the above album i've mentioned. some people find progressive music boring, but i find it deep, well constructed and moving. if you're capable of trying new things, i'd try this genre of music, if you haven't already.

Band name: Tool
Album: Aenima, Lateralus, Ten Thousand Days
Genre: Progressive Metal
Other Notes: if you haven't heard of tool, there's something wrong. they're not quite as back-watered as the other artists i've mentioned above, and the music is more catchy. their songs sometimes tell stories too, such as in "Third Eye" of the album aenima, "Die Eier Von Satan" is actually a very misleading song, which sounds like a WWII Nazi Germany military speech, but it's actually a cooking recipe for hash brownies that's supposed to be misleading, because that's an example of how things aren't always what they seem; and Maynard has a good job of pissing people off doing this, he's a smart man. there's a lot more I could say on this band, but the rest is self explanatory.

Snail

Smash Lord
^ You have a great music taste ._. I really like both The Appleseed Cast and Kwoon (already knew the other two O.o) Thank you, you helped me find some amazing new music (: I love this thread.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
it's alright ha more people need to listen to good music; Bon Iver and The Album Leaf are two really good bands as well, if you want to give them a shot. i'd type up a really long list but it'd probably end up like..a page?

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
oh i LOVE tool now, ever since i played their music on guitar hero. their songs sound more...exotic than other bands iv heard, they unique beats and there isnt much yelling and nonsense. it something you would like to hear on a stresses day. my favorites is Parabola and vicarious it just relaxes me. Heck i was born into rap and kinda converted to rock

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
it's alright ha more people need to listen to good music; Bon Iver and The Album Leaf are two really good bands as well, if you want to give them a shot. i'd type up a really long list but it'd probably end up like..a page?
The Album Leaf is fantastic. I'm glad we've got some new music coming in. This thread used to be dead.

oh i LOVE tool now, ever since i played their music on guitar hero. their songs sound more...exotic than other bands iv heard, they unique beats and there isnt much yelling and nonsense. it something you would like to hear on a stresses day. my favorites is Parabola and vicarious it just relaxes me. Heck i was born into rap and kinda converted to rock
I think I'm going to have to get into Tool as well. I've heard so many good things. Any recommendations for a starter album, anyone?

Yall's music is too slow... let's get some metal lovers in here.
Dude, almost the entire thread is metal lovers. It's good to get some different stuff in here once in a while. Don't hate.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Now it's time for some Dutch music. Don't worry, the artist I'm about to recommend sings in English.

Artist: Anouk
Album: Urban Solitude is what she started with I think. Honourable mentions: Together Alone and Who's Your Momma.
Genre: Rock , I can't really narrow it down further because she has many different styles.

Side note: You should start out with these songs:
- R U Kidding Me
- Michel
- Sacrifice
- Nobody's Wife
- Good God

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Yall's music is too slow... let's get some metal lovers in here.
If you have something to recommend, recommend it.

And the point of this thread is to introduce people to things they might not know about or wouldn't normally listen to (checking out The Album Leaf right now and loving what I'm hearing). What good does this thread do you if you've already decided you only want to listen to one type of song (fast metal)?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Artist: Klaus Nomi

Genre: Alternative

Other Notes: It's pretty hard to describe this guy. Alternative is probably the best way to describe most of his stuff, but it's all out there. It's good stuff to listen to for a change of pace. Nomi died back in the early 80's, I believe, but he has five albums out (two released posthumous). I only have his first, self-titled, album (given to me by Spire III), but I want to get more. He has some really good stuff out there.

Just keep in mind that it'll seem pretty weird at first, though.

Examples:

Lightning Strikes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gma5IUNMTn0
Nomi Song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYpepxGkyY

yoshq

Smash Master
If you have something to recommend, recommend it.

And the point of this thread is to introduce people to things they might not know about or wouldn't normally listen to (checking out The Album Leaf right now and loving what I'm hearing). What good does this thread do you if you've already decided you only want to listen to one type of song (fast metal)?
of course I've already decided what I like, it's my taste... although I listen to a lot of different artists (just depends on how they hit me at the time)
and I did already recommend Arsis and Into Eternity, but I'm stuck listening to them over and over because there don't seem to be any bands that can match the experimental ingenuity they have. just listen to the intros to "Shattering the Spell by Arsis and Splintered Visions by Into Eternity and tell me where else you hear that kind of guitar work.
Anyway if you guys like the soft stuff more, www.nevergetoveryou by Prozzak and Be my Escape by Relient K are two bands that just happened to hit me in the right way even though they're slower.

and to that^ wow >_<

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Artist: Dedicated Servers

Genre: Hip-Hop

Other Notes: Dedicated Servers are three guys who rap about life and video games. The two rappers, Peanut & Rufus/Matt, provide the lyrics to the songs while Resident Genuis provides the beats which usually consists of video game soundtracks that have been remixed. They rap about a variety of subjects such as love, hardships, dreams, etc. while dropping multiple game refrences.

Albums:

Warp Zone
This album is pretty neat. It's mainly a lot of raps done using soundtracks from video games, hence the name of the album. Here's a link to on of the songs on the album called "Super Matt's World". If you like it you can download the entire album in the description of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkTfZZGxsZA

If you enjoy Warp Zone you should also listen to Explosive Mixtape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXF2fH66ow&feature=channel_page

moogle

Smash Ace
Artist: Girl Talk
Album: Feed the Animals
Genre: Mashup

Other Notes:
I'll give many descriptions:
1) This is rap for people who don't like rap.
2) Imagine if you took a rap song and replaced the background of the song with.... Nirvana or Pavement or Aphex Twin or Elton John or Ace of Base.
3) It's like 250 different samples over the course of a 50 minute album. You might hear a Tears for Fears drum fill lasting 2 seconds, or you might hear Ludacris's verse from "Glamorous," with Earth, Wind & Fire in the background.
4) I went to a Girl Talk concert. I've never seen so many people dressed in neon clothes, headbands, and $1 plastic sunglasses.

The album came out a year ago today, and it's my favorite album to this day. It's available to download for free from the artist's website:
http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net/__girl__talk___feed__the__anima.ls___/

Track 2: (yeah, there's bad language... we're sampling rap, remember?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMyyg3G1bt4

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Artist:Mago De Oz

Genre:Spanish Folk Metal

Notes:If you haven't heard of them, You're going to need a few things. First, they are a Spanish band so most of the songs are in spanish ( a couple of them are in English). The second thing is some of the songs are satanic (Some)

Here is one of the most favorited song from them, in english, it means Windmills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCAht19XC8Q

Smash Journeyman
Artist: Five for Fighting

Genre: Varied

Notes: The lead singer is John Ondrasik, the songs he makes are generally about his views on life and are very inspiring. Like the song The World where he expresses his views on the direction the world going in with the line "History starts now." Saying history might as well start now since we choose to ignore it and act like it never existed.

I'd to hear about other deep songs.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Band name: A Flock of Seagulls
Genre: New Wave
Other Notes: With 3 hits you'd think they'd be a good memory, but sadly 2 of them are unknown, forgotten, and unloved. Everyone knows "I Ran" but what about "Wishing (I had a photo of you)" or "The more you live, the more you love"? These men brought New Wave into pop culture and helped show it was timeless

randomscrub

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody! This is my first time posting here so I decided that I may as well go for something that isn't related to smash ^^

Band name/Artist: Modest Mouse
Genre: Indy I think
Other Notes: This band is amazing! Their songs are very catchy. I'd recommend the songs: Ocean breathes salty, tundra/desert, float, the devil's workday, and sleepwalking. They're a really versatile band :D

Band name/Artist: Necrophagist
Genre: Technical Death Metal
Other Notes: My favorite metal band. If you aren't into death metal this band probably isn't for you. The vocals aren't understandable(to me anyways) and the music is about pretty gruesome stuff. But, if you're like me, you'll love this band for the amazing solos, the ridiculous bass, and the crazy fast drumming. I'd recommend the songs: Fermented Offal Discharge, Only Ash Remains, and Stabwound.

Band name/Artist: Meshuggah
Genre: Progressive (death?) metal
Other Notes: Another of my favorite metal bands. Although their early stuff is boring ol' thrash, their newer stuff is more progressive and is better, imo. I'd recommend the song Rational Gaze off of their album "Nothing".

Band name/Artist: Antoine Dufour
Genre: Acoustic alternative I guess
Other Notes: The dude is a Canadian guitarist and he can really pick! I'd recommend the songs Spiritual Groove and Development. Then again, you should just buy his albums. All of the songs are amazing and relaxing.

Sorry if some of these bands have been mentioned.. I kinda only looked through the first few pages before I posted >.>

yoshq

Smash Master
Band name/Artist: Necrophagist
Genre: Technical Death Metal
Other Notes: My favorite metal band. If you aren't into death metal this band probably isn't for you. The vocals aren't understandable(to me anyways) and the music is about pretty gruesome stuff. But, if you're like me, you'll love this band for the amazing solos, the ridiculous bass, and the crazy fast drumming. I'd recommend the songs: Fermented Offal Discharge, Only Ash Remains, and Stabwound.

Band name/Artist: Meshuggah
Genre: Progressive (death?) metal
Other Notes: Another of my favorite metal bands. Although their early stuff is boring ol' thrash, their newer stuff is more progressive and is better, imo. I'd recommend the song Rational Gaze off of their album "Nothing".
if you like those 2 then you should really check out Arsis - Shattering the Spell
I'm gonna listen to those songs now.

turdsi

Smash Rookie
Band name: The Black Keys
Genre: Blues Rock
Other Notes: Great modern blues-rock duo. Their song "Strange Times" was included in Grand Theft auto 4. I personally think all of their albums are great, but i guess if I had to recommend one I'd say check out Attack & Release.

Defqon.1

Smash Rookie
Band name: Kamelot.
Album: The Black Halo
Genre: Power Metal
Other Notes: One of the most diverse power metal albums you'll ever hear. Seriously, from death metal vocals and slow tempo to blazing power metal tempo to a duet, this album has everything. It finishes off an interpretation of the Faust story started in the previous album, "Epica".

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNfEOwMZMmU&fmt=18

And now for probably the first recommendation of the genre.

"Band" name: Noisecontrollers
Genre: Hardstyle
Other Notes: If you don't have an open mind about music or don't enjoy aggressive styles of music, this genre isn't for you. If you're a fan of what some people consider "techno" and want to try something new, or if you enjoy floor shaking basslines and a general adrenaline rush coming from your music, try this. It's the heavy metal of "techno". Noisecontrollers in specific have good songs all around, which isn't that common with hardstyle.

Sample: (okay, well, it's 1/2 of Noisecontrollers. They make good stuff on their own too) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioigXoeylVc&fmt=18

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
i'd start with aenima and move your way through their albums to understand their foundation first.
I would say start with Undertow first, then move forward...but definitely listen to AEnima before Lateralus and 10,000 Days if you haven't listened to Tool before.

My Recommendation:

Band name/Artist: The Mars Volta
Genre: Progressive Rock
Other Notes: I have recently discovered The Mars Volta, and am I glad I did. I've always been a fan of Progressive Rock, but never really gave them a listen. I knew they sing in Spanish half the time...so maybe that was why I didn't check them out. I'd say all of their albums are good, but Frances the Mute is by far my favorite...and I've actually listened to it about 10 times this week. The CD's are long and contain many long songs (obv like all prog bands). Go check them out!

NukSuCao

Smash Cadet
Band name/Artist: We Butter The Bread With Butter
Genre: German Synth Death/Grindcore
Other Notes: These two guys have some serious vocals. Most people I know don't like "BREE BREE" but I absolutely love it. They have great song titles, too. Like Breekachu and World of Warcraft.

Band name/Artist: The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Genre: Grindcore/With a hint of everything.
Other Notes: They don't have a genre. Each song can break into a different sound within seconds. I recommend the album Mongrel and their new one Worse than Alone. The old stuff... Not so much.

Band name/Artist: VersaEmerge
Genre: Light Pop-Rock
Other Notes: They claim not to sound like Paramore, but they do. They are different in lyrics and they have their own moments, but it's still very Paramore-esque.

Band name/Artist: Ace Enders
Genre: Pop-Punk Rock
Other Notes: Saw him at the same show as Versa. Has a unique sound, definitely. Very upbeat and fun, too.

Band name/Artist: Circa Survive
Genre: (Extremely) Light Rock
Other Notes: Anthony Green's voice is like a choir of angels on helium. He sounds like a girl most of the time, but it works for him. I recommend the album On Letting Go, but Juturna was good, too. A lot of the lyrics are convoluted, but they can be unraveled.

I hope someone likes something off here. ^-^

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Has anyone mentioned this band before?

Band: Coldplay
Genre: Alternative Rock/British Indie Rock?
Other Notes: Coldplay is well known in Britain for the release of many singles that become widely popular throughout the country for quite a while. We all still remember Coldplay but don't celebrate their existence as much now. Nonetheless their style of music suits my tastes and if you don't prefer Hard rock but still wanna listen to rock, Coldplay's your band

NukSuCao

Smash Cadet
Has anyone mentioned this band before?

Band: Coldplay
I believe that every media outlet in ever has mentioned Clocks or Viva La Vida.

xkcd- http://xkcd.com/56/

Band name/Artist: Evans|Blue
Genre:[/b ]Alternative Rock
Other Notes:[/b] They've had some issues, one being the loss of their original vocalist. Their new one is... not as good. The first album The Melody and Energetic Nature of Volume is well worth listening to. It only has two or three songs that grind on my nerves after too many listen-throughs.

Band name/Artist: Skillet
Genre: Christian Rock
Other Notes: They've grown by a huge amount over their span of time. Their lyrics have grown from being, sadly, quite emo to being very moving and powerful. I listen to Comatose constantly, and Alien Youth is a very good album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom