• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
Artist: Nujabes
Genre: Hip hop/Rap

these guys are pretty good not like that popular **** that just is repeated over and over and over and over again....

Artist: Immortal Technique
Genre:Hip Hop/Rap

again like the one above, but this one is a little different, more like a political rapper.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I would say start with Undertow first, then move forward...but definitely listen to AEnima before Lateralus and 10,000 Days if you haven't listened to Tool before.

My Recommendation:

Band name/Artist: The Mars Volta
Genre: Progressive Rock
Other Notes: I have recently discovered The Mars Volta, and am I glad I did. I've always been a fan of Progressive Rock, but never really gave them a listen. I knew they sing in Spanish half the time...so maybe that was why I didn't check them out. I'd say all of their albums are good, but Frances the Mute is by far my favorite...and I've actually listened to it about 10 times this week. The CD's are long and contain many long songs (obv like all prog bands). Go check them out!
Props for the Mars Volta and Tool rep.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
Mars Volta is great!

you should check out "At the drive in", same singer from mars volta.

Snail

Smash Lord
I would say start with Undertow first, then move forward...but definitely listen to AEnima before Lateralus and 10,000 Days if you haven't listened to Tool before.

My Recommendation:

Other Notes: I have recently discovered The Mars Volta, and am I glad I did. I've always been a fan of Progressive Rock, but never really gave them a listen. I knew they sing in Spanish half the time...so maybe that was why I didn't check them out. I'd say all of their albums are good, but Frances the Mute is by far my favorite...and I've actually listened to it about 10 times this week. The CD's are long and contain many long songs (obv like all prog bands). Go check them out!
Great recommendation, I love it. Thanks :D

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
High fives all round.

Sinatra: I've got At the Drive In's stuff too though I much prefer the Volta.

Recommendation: Florence and the Machine. Great little band that reminds me of Imogen Heap.

Snail

Smash Lord
Here's one I discovered today. Amazing music, in my opinion, and I'm really looking forward to buying some of his albums... but I'll probably have to order them online ><

Artist: Phideaux Xavier
Genre: Psychedelic & Progressive Rock
Notes: Phideaux Xavier is a multi-instrumentalist, singer and songwriter, employing the drumming of Rich Hutchins, producer Gabriel Moffat and a revolving cast of supporting musicians. He has released several progressive/psychedelic inspired albums since 2003. His music is influenced by Jethro Tull, David Bowie, Van der Graaf Generator, Pink Floyd and early Genesis, among others. Phideaux uses many different instruments, complex compositions and great melodic songwriting to create amazingly creative and refreshing music. Prog fans such as myself will lean more towards his later albums, but his debut "Fiendish" and a compilation of earlier material "Ghost Story" might also be interesting for fans of folk rock & psychedelic rock (Songs From The Wood-era Jethro Tull, Strawbs?)
Recommended Albums: Chupacabras (2005), Doomsday Afternoon (2007), Number Seven (2009)

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
band-streetlight manifesto
genre-ska
notes-this is one of the best ska bands ive heard. they are WAY better live. but still amazing on album.

artist-sage francis
genre-anticon/hip hop
notes-greatest lyricist that has ever lived imo. better than tupac. you could say the white tupac.

band-against me!
genre-folk punk
notes-do NOT listen to searching for a former clarity or any album after that. now they suck.

band-leftover crack
genre-punk/ska
notes-Its the good! the bad! and the leftover crack!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Artist- Man Man
Genre- Freak Folk
Notes- The manliest band around by far. All the crazy percussion, distorted guitar, and man choir you ever dreamed of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhRlO3YWjeE

Band- Nadja
Genre- Doom Ambiant
Notes- Not for the faint of heart, the song Thaumogenesis clocks in at over an hour of noised based ambient music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyeSlN9LhnQ

Artist- Juana Molina
Genre- Latin
Notes- Former comedian, Juana combines elements of folk music with trance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlJjVdzPDY

Artist- Lykke Li
Genre- Female Pop
Notes- Yeah, its female pop. That's about all there is to it. Its difficult to talk about because her sound and production style is all so minimal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdZLiORITBg

Artist- Martina Topley-Bird
Genre- Trip-hop, RnB, Soul
Notes- Martina Topley-Bird first came into the spotlight by appearing on the albums of Trip-Hop founder Tricky, and later was put into the spotlight again by appearing on the Gorillaz sophmore album, Demon Days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB3iPhpLXx0

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
Artist: Jens Lekman (The Jens is pronounced "yens")
Genre: Alternative
Notes: Wow. It's been a long time since I've loved a band this much. He's a sincere singer/songwriter from Sweden. His lyrics are in the same vein as The Magnetic Fields if you happen to listen to them. He brings styles from everywhere and really catches you by surprise. You're going to want to get his album Night Falls Over Kortedala first (It's undoubtedly his best album) and then start listening to his older albums. If you're looking for something new, Jens is definitely it.

D3m0nhunter719

Smash Cadet

My Recommendation:

I would personally like to thank you for introducing me to such a great band.
I'm really getting into prog nowadays and they certainly made me like prog that much more.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Sonata Arctica.

this band has a HUGE fan-base outside of the US, so if you crazy foreigners Europeans have heard of them before... good for you.

This band is a "power metal" group from Finland. All their songs are in English, except for short sections or verses that may rarely be sung in other languages. Unlike other bands today, they actually perform (rather than just lip-synching) at live concerts and are known for improving solos and lyrics on the spot.

You can find them on iTunes, and on Youtube if you want a sample of their work. However, some of their best albums are hard to find. For instance, one of their best albums, Ecliptica, is not on iTunes... but you can still find most of the songs from that album.

Despite being a power-metal group, it is hard to classify their music as any one genre. Many of their songs are intense and fast-paced, and others are incredibly sad and slow. Their songs often carry deep messages, like a sad love song written for the girlfriend of the guitarist (if I understand correctly), and a tribute song, entitled Caleb, in memory of child-beating horror stories.

They DO have a website, and a forum... but not at any sonataarctica.com address. Just google search their name along with the word forum and you should find it. (if you're interested).

SonatArcticA...

brolyownage

Smash Rookie
Artist:Suicidal Tendencies
Genre:Metal
notes:excellent music

Artist:Carnal Forge
Genre:Melodic Death Metal
notes:i recently discovered this band i thought they would be all death metal but no they have melodic sound in there music and put in some soft vocals and the guitarist are shredders

Artist:Five Finger Death Punch
Genre:Metal
Notes:good music to listen to when your mad but also good to listen to overall

sammy p

Smash Lord
Artist: Taylor Swift
Genre: Country/Pop
Notes:she is a very young artist and 90% of her songs are about relationships, but her songs are truly unique really deserve a listen to... i believe she can change anyones views on counrty/pop music for the better
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKt-ioymcaI&feature=related

Artist: carrie Underwood
Genre: country
Notes: better known as the season 4 american idol winner, and is statistically the most successful AI winner to date. her music is quite sassy, and once again, not your normal country music, but a nice twist to the genre that make her music all her own.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu32vyCldh8

Artist: Gloriana
Genre: country
Notes: a VERY new group that came out with now 3 hit singles. THIS is real country music to me. NOT the very western music made by willie nelson, ect. but modern country that you can roll down you window driving on country roads singing as loud as you want. an amazing feel good group.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhEHjlsRQH4&feature=channel

please give these videos a try, you might find that you actually LIKE these people

D3m0nhunter719

Smash Cadet
I dislike all form of country....sorry...

Artist: TestAmenT
Genre: Thrash metal
Notes: This band is probably my favorite thrash metal band, they have some of the most killer guitar solos and riffs I have ever heard.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufLs1J8TNYA

Artist: Exodus
Genre: Thrash metal
Notes: Another killer thrash metal band. They are a bit darker than TestAmenT though...
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3D0s-cLQRc

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
LOL.

Well here's some music i've been listening to lately

Artist: So Many Dynamos
Genre: Indie, experimental synth-rock
Stuff: I can't really put these guys in a genre. They have a very unique, cool sound. I saw them live a couple years ago having never heard of them and they blew me away. Their live performances definitely top all their studio-work, but all their albums are worth listening to anyways.
Song: We Vibrate We Do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reFrDpRGtBg
Albums: Flashlights, or The Loud Wars

Artist: Scatman John
Genre: Yes, it's the guy who sang "I'm the Scatman". You've probably heard it. Lots of people don't know that Scatman John actually has a big big list of really great, catchy, meaningful songs. If you don't take music too seriously and like pop you would probably like a lot of Scatman songs.
Song: Time (Take Your Time) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnOpI-HXZA . This song is just so sick. He goes pretty crazy at the end.
Albums: Everybody Jam!

Artist: Rolo Tomassi
Genre: Technical, experimental synth-driven noise rock? I dunno really.
Stuff: This band is crazy. If you don't like really loud and abrasive music probably stay away. Fortunately they are not just crazy and actually really brilliant. I really love some of the tones and the "texture" of the music. Let me stop myself now.
Song: I LOVE TURBULENCE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7AXUmYrNq4
Album: Hysterics.

brownsheep

Smash Journeyman

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
Artist: Nujabes
Genre: Hip hop/Rap

these guys are pretty good not like that popular **** that just is repeated over and over and over and over again....

Artist: Immortal Technique
Genre:Hip Hop/Rap

again like the one above, but this one is a little different, more like a political rapper.
Just an FYI, Nujabes is one person and all the his songs featuring MCs are collaborations.

That being said, if you like this strain of hip hop then you might want to check out the Five Deez, who work with Nujabes frequently. I also like

-Aesop Rock -- check out 'Labor Days'
Genre: Hip hop

-MF Doom -- all his work is equally mind-blowing but if I had to recommend something I would probably say 'Mm...Food'

-Cadence Weapon -- check out 'Afterparty Babies'

-Kid Koala -- this guy is a maestro behind two turntables and a mixer, check out 'Some of My Best Friends are DJ's'
Genre: Instrumental Hip hop

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
Artist: Rolo Tomassi
Genre: Technical, experimental synth-driven noise rock? I dunno really.
Stuff: This band is crazy. If you don't like really loud and abrasive music probably stay away. Fortunately they are not just crazy and actually really brilliant. I really love some of the tones and the "texture" of the music. Let me stop myself now.
Song: I LOVE TURBULENCE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7AXUmYrNq4
Album: Hysterics.
I second this.

Artist: The Bad Plus
Genre: Jazz
A trio consisting of piano (Ethan Iverson), bass (Reid Anderson). and drums (David King). The trio's music combines elements of modern Avant-garde jazz with rock and pop influences. The band have recorded versions of songs by Nirvana, Aphex Twin, Blondie, Ornette Coleman, Pixies, Rush, Tears for Fears, Neil Young, David Bowie, Yes, Interpol, and Black Sabbath. However, their original pieces are definitely well structured and definitely worth a listen.
Albums: These are the Vistas, For All I Care, Prog.

Artist: Kyuss
Genre: Stoner Rock
What can I say? Phenomenal band making phenomenal music.
Albums: Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley (in that order)

Artist: Autolux
Genre: Alternative Rock
Taken from Allmusic.com. About their first album, Future Perfect:

After tenures in overlooked '90s outfits like Ednaswap and Failure, the members of Los Angeles' Autolux joined forces. The fruits of their labor have yielded Future Perfect, an album that triumphs as it defies expectations. Meshing the guitar blur of the shoegazer movement (Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Pale Saints) with traces of indie rock royalty (Sonic Youth, Ivy), it's hardly what you might expect producer T-Bone Burnett to stand behind. But the trio excels as it thumbs its nose at the new wave revival movement of the early 21st century via the hypnotic "Sugarless," the lilting and riff-sturdy "Trigger," and the menacing whirl of "Blanket." If the aforementioned numbers highlight Greg Edwards' guitar antics and bassist/vocalist Eugene Goreshter's twee vocal approach, the band's secret weapon is drummer Carla Azar, who is not just skilled behind the kit. Azar's pipes sound eerily similar to Kim Deal's Pixies efforts on "Angry Candy" and "Here Comes Everybody," which are arguably the band's finest moments.
Albums: Future Perfect

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I haven't read all the posts so this may have been said but;

Eyes set to kill
Screamoish
Other notes: I've never heard them mentioned anywhere and they are actually really good. Nothing else to say really, it's just I've never heard it mentioned anywhere, ever.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Artist- Chew Lips
Genre- Electronic Pop with a hint of chip-tune
I don't know about other people here, but I was in general, very let down by Yeah Yeah Yeahs Its Blitz! so when I heard Chew Lips's Solo, I was amazed to find an song that did everything Itz Blitz! had failed at for me. The hint of 8-bit sounds work well too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_5zfOa7CDI

Vermy

Smash Champion
Band name: Amon Amarth
Genre: Death/Viking Metal
Other Notes:Big epic melodic guitars, powerful drums and a roar like a freaking Umber Troll. Alot of lyrical content is based on war and Norse Mythology. Been around for about 18 years, but have gotten their rise in the last 3 years.
Recommended Songs:Runes To My Memory, Pursuit Of Vikings, Death In Fire, Twilight Of The Thunder God, Live For The Kill.

Band name:mind.in.a.box
Genre:EBM/Electronica
Other Notes:Really good chill out music, very calming.
Recommended Songs:Escape, Change, Out Of Time, Amnesia

Band name: Eluveitie
Genre:Folk/Acoustic/Melodic Death Metal
Other Notes:Amazing band. A mixture of metal, acoustic and Gaulish folk music in a bizarre but elegant collision. Some songs are just epic battle instrumentals, others are acoustic songs with native Swiss folk instruments, and others are a fusion of the latter with a heavy twist. Highly recommended for anyone into European metal.
Recommended Songs:Your Gaulish War, Samon, Brictom, Memento, Inis Mona, Of Fire Wind and Wisdom, Bloodstained Ground, Anagantios, Primordial Breath

Snail

Smash Lord
Thread revival! :x I have to inform you guys of my latest discovery, a very obscure Belgian band named Aranis. It's some of the most moving music I've heard lately, so I had to spread the word even if this thread is pretty much dead and buried now xD

Band: Aranis
Genre: "Chamber Rock", minimalist classical
Notes: Aranis is a Flemish septet playing contemporary classical music influenced by folk and rock music. They combine the sheer beauty of classical instrumentation with the powerful drive of rock music compositions, replicating the intensity of rock music using only classical instruments (two violins, a double bass, accordion, piano, flute and an acoustic guitar).
Recommended Albums: Aranis II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_BwXgDsZI

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Band name: Super Junior
Genre: Korean pop / electronic
Other Notes: Epic group, if you aren't a fan of Asian music and don't know them yet, go check them out. Great singing and dancing rolled up into one.
Recommended Songs: Sorry Sorry, It's You, Sorry Sorry Answer, U

Band name: Super Junior M
Genre: Mandarin pop
Other Notes: A subgroup of the forementioned Super Junior. The group does Mandarin Chinese music.
Recommended Songs: Super Girl, Blue Tomorrow, U, Me

-Terywj

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Guys, i've listened to alot of music in my life and post-rock is far my favorite. but mt zion brings it to a whole new level.Mt zion is like bringing a orchestra to a punk show. The lyrics are inspirational to the mind and the music chills down the spine when ever you listen to anything beautiful. I've taken this band for granted and preferred Mono over them. well i can't just choose one. but Mt Zion suddenly took my heart when their new cd Kollaps Tradixionales had a song that they played when i saw them on their closing set. The was called There is a light, and when they are singing it truly sounds that they are being sincere and you can feel music through the air and through your body. I've been listening to this song on repeat for the past few days, and oddly enough i'm not tired of it. So pick up the cd when it hits stores Feb 26. or download it. but i already preordered xD. Their cd Thirteen Blues for Thirteen Moons is amazing too. That cd i've listened to about 100 times and i still love it. Kollaps Tradixionales I still have to break it in, but i still love it. If you want the cd or anything I can send it to you in a link or w/e.

List of favorite bands -(any genre)
NO PARTICULAR ORDER
Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra
Mono
The Album Leaf
Sigur Ros
The Dear Hunter
Bowerbirds
The Dodos
My Latest Novel
Explosions in the Sky
Mae
http://www.last.fm/user/crossjeremiah

jjaysonn42

Smash Rookie
Band/Artist: Barenaked Ladies
Genre: Rock and pop

Band name/Artist: The Shins
Genre: Indy Rock

Band: Goodbye Soundscape
Genre: Rock, Screamo, Club
These are favourite bands. They are just awesome.:)

Underload

Lazy
Artist: Jens Lekman (The Jens is pronounced "yens")
Genre: Alternative
Notes: Wow. It's been a long time since I've loved a band this much. He's a sincere singer/songwriter from Sweden. His lyrics are in the same vein as The Magnetic Fields if you happen to listen to them. He brings styles from everywhere and really catches you by surprise. You're going to want to get his album Night Falls Over Kortedala first (It's undoubtedly his best album) and then start listening to his older albums. If you're looking for something new, Jens is definitely it.
Yes. Yes, yes, and again, YES. Jens Lekman is an amazing artist, I recommend checking him out if you're into the indie sound at all. If you want an album recommendation, I'd tell you to check out "Oh You're So Silent, Jens". Maple Leaves is my most listened to song at the moment.

And now for a few of my own.

Band name/Artist: Flashbulb Fires
Album: Glory
Genre: Indie / Alternative
Other Notes: A local band from Colorado, I can't stop raving about these guys after seeing them in concert a few weeks ago. Their sound isn't easy to describe for me, just because my musical vocabulary is low, just take a listen for yourself. Although that song isn't my favorite, it's better than nothing. Also, you can download two free (and legal) mp3s from their album if you click this link, for a more fair representation of their sound. Revenge Song is a fantastic song, and it's in that download.

Band name/Artist: Sufjan Stevens
Album: There's a few, but I own Illinois.
Genre: Indie Pop / Alternative (yes, I refer to Indie as a sound once in a while)
Other Notes: Comparable to Jens Lekman in a way, but they aren't of the same breed. Sufjan Stevens is a singer / songwriter out of Michigan, whose music is very lyrics based. His lyrics usually focus on faith and family. He's also a fantastic musical storyteller. Sufjan's one of those artists that you just relax to, but not in a way that would eventually make you bored. His music is both catchy and lyrically deep, if you make an effort to listen to the lyrics. I've caught myself wanting to listen to just a song or two of his, but realizing an hour later that I've just listened to the whole album. If you want just one song to judge him on, then give "Chicago" a listen. That one seems to be popular.

Band name/Artist: Soul Coughing
Album: Ruby Vroom, Irresistible Bliss, El Oso
Genre: Alternative / "Deep Slacker Jazz"
Other Notes: Probably my favorite band, Soul Coughing was based out of New York back in the 90s. They released three albums in their 8 year lifespan, and all three are fantastic by my estimate. Their sound could be described as a blend of improv jazz grooves, hip-hop rhythm undertones, electronics, and noisy experimentalism (thanks to last.fm for that). If you want a song or two, their most commercially popular single is Circles, and Fully Retractable is my personal favorite track.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
if you guys like post rock check out 惘闻

its a band from dalian, china. they uploaded their 3 most recent albums for DL.

dont bother with any of their other stuff.

Aristotle13

Smash Rookie
Two bands I'd like to recommend.

Artist/Band: Mortification
Genre: Christian Metal
Other Notes: Death Metal that won't anger your parents. The vocals might scare the **** out of them, however.

Artist/Band: The Exies
Genre: Rock
Other Notes: You might have heard of them if you play Guitar Hero, but they don't get much attention otherwise. "Hey You" is the great song that was on Guitar Hero, but they have a ton of other good songs, such as "These Are the Days", "Ugly", "God We Look Good (Going Down in Flames)" and "My Goddess".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom