• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

metal_mario64

Smash Journeyman
On the can singing the bottles of beer song.
I like this topic.This is a good way to find great music.
Band: Alexisonfire(Alexis-on-fire)
Genre: Screamo/punk
album: alexisonfire, watch out (coming soon).
Songs: Adelleda, Waterwings (And the Other Pool Side Fashion Faux Pas), .44 calibur love letter, Counterparts and number them, Pulmonary archery.
This is a little known canadian band. First off, i would like to say that this band is not for everyone. A lot of people can not understand the lyrics to the songs (like many screamo bands).
Secondly, this band has equal amount of songs that are upbeat songs (ex. Pulmonary Archery, Waterwings) and slow songs (Adelleda). alos, there is, in most songs, more than one person singing (one screaming and the other singing normally.)

Band: Three Days Grace
Albums: Three Days Grace
Genre: Rock
Songs: I hate everything about you, Just like you, Scared, Home.
This band is another canadian band but more widely known. They have strong vocals and almost all of there songs are upbeat.

Eral

Smash Journeyman
my turn!

Beulah
when your heartstrings break
theyre indy...kinda vauge description, i know, but they are really good verry relaxing lets go out and drive to the next state kinda music. i love them and theyre soooooo great live

The Minutemen
Double Nickles on the Dime
theyre awesome. lots of funky guitaur. they wrote the Jacka$$ theme song, its called corona

more later as soon as i remember them

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Best. Bands. Ever.

Band: Sublime
Genre: So-Cal Rock, Heavy Punk, Ska, Hip-Hop
Album: 40 oz.to Freedom, Sublime
Songs: My favorite song (from this, my favorite band, is "same in the End". Newbies to Sublime would like their poppier hits, like "What I Got", "Santeria", "Doin' Time", and "Date ****". I recommend "Chica Mi Tipo", "We're Only Gonna Die...", "Ebin", and "Seed".

Other Comments:
There's just too much to explain about this band, but their name describes their music perfectly: it's just Sublime. Highly recommended band to listen to. I would suggest starting off with their Self-Titled Album, then moving to 40 oz. to Freedom, and then their other albums from there, in order to get used to their style, and to be able to truly appreciate it. Their style has influended MANY bands in one way or another.

I've been to so many concerts and met so many bands in person (namely Puddle of Mudd, Fastball, Smile Empty Soul, Three Days Grace, Static-X, Papa Roach, Kittie, Die Trying, Lo-Pro, Edgewater, etc...) and when I'm hanging out with the band members (usually outside their tour buses before the show) I ALWAYS ask them what they think of other bands, and when it comes to Sublime, I haven't met a single band member from any one of those bands who didn't like Sublime. Most of the guys loved them, as a matter of fact.

---------------------------------------
Band: Type O Negative
Genre: a badass iteration going a long the lines of Gothic
Album:Bloody Kisses
Songs: For newbies to this band, I suggest starting out with "Summer Breeze". You may enjoy "Black No. 1". My favorite song is "We hate Everyone".

Other Comments:
Their music is much more accessible to the average listener than most or all goth music. It's mainly Rock with a Goth vibe. The vocals are beautiful, Peter Steele has such a booming voice, but can sing with such grace. Their lyrics rock, especially in the song "We Hate Everyone". Like most goths, they're non-conformist, but not to where they contradict themselves by conforming to the Gothic style.
They're on like every rocker movie soundtrack since I Know What You Did Last Summer. From Mortal Kombat to Dare Devil.

-------------------------------------
Band:Dark Tranquility
Genre:Goth Metal
Album:Haven
Songs: "The Wonders at your Feet" has one of the best solos of any song since System of a Downs "Deer Dance". I also recommend "Run Down" and "The Same"

Other Crap:
They're another screaming metal band, except his voice is low, so you're ears aren't going to shatter from annoying high pitched screaming. They have some electronica in their music. The combination is kinda werid, but it's one of the most beautifully done fusions of music genres since Sublime.
--------------------------------------
Band: Fastball
Genre: Um, Indie Rock i guess... dunno. A little Jazzy.
Album: All the Pain Money Can Buy
Songs:I highly recommend listening to "Out of My Head" and "The Way", but there's a 95% chance you've heard these songs before and compeletly love them, and didn't know who it was. My favorite song from them is "Slow Drag", which they personally dedicated to me at a concert. "This song is for Neil". That was pimp stuff. I bet you guys wish one of your favorite songs ever was dedicated to you. lol, I R l337!!!1

other crap:
I'm in their street team, so it's like "duh" that I advertise them. lol. So go buy their new album "Keep Your Wig On". And their other albums for that matter, but mostly "All the Pain Money Can Buy"

------------------------------------------
Band: Bad Religion
Genre: Punk
Album: All of them
Songs: "You" (on tony hawk pro skater soundtrack), "Inner Logic", "10 in 2010" (Crazy Taxi soundtrack). There's just too many good songs.
other crap: YaY!!11 I get to see them in concert at Warped Tour in like 5 days!!!1 I HOPE I MEET THEM@!!!! I'd give up hanging out with all the bands i've ever met just to hang out with this band. OMg!!!1 Sublime even made a cover of their song "We're only gonna die from our own arrogance"

FoX_KiLLz

Smash Journeyman
Band: In Flames
Genre: Metal
Album: Soundtrack To You Escape
Songs: The Quiet Place
Other Comments: In Flames, supposedly from Sweden, has quite a few albums out, but I believe this new release will be thier biggest hit. The Quiet Place is a great song.

Band: The Used
Genre: Rock/Emo
Album: The Used
Songs: The Taste of Ink, Poetic Tragedy, Buried Myself Alive, Blue and Yellow, On My Own.
Other Comments: On My Own is a great acoustic song; I personally like the guitar on it. They have a new album coming out soon, and they will be at the Projekt Revolution tour with Korn, Linkin Park, Snoop Dogg, and Less Than Jake.

Band: The Ataris
Genre:Rock
Album:So Long Astoria
Songs:So Long Astoria, In This Diary, The Boys of Summer, Hidden Track #14
Other Comments: The Boys of Summer is a great cover of Don Henly's firt version. Over all, I think this album is a 6/10. It has a few good songs, but not many.

Band: Alice In Chains
Genre: Hard Rock/Metal
Album: Dirt, Live, Nothing Safe
Songs: Them Bones, Rooster, Angry Chair, Would?, Get Born Again, Man In The Box, I Stay Away
Other Comments: Jerry Cantrell is a pretty great guitarist. My favorite album would have to be Nothing Safe.

That's all, for now. Check out those songs. They're pretty Awsome.

BlueObsidian

Smash Journeyman
Band: Radiohead
Album: Amnesiac

Well, I'll just add a bit of Radiohead critique from the Amnesiac album, as I believe Luigitoilet hasn't already done so.

Packt Like Sardines In A Crushed Tin Box - I rather like this song. It starts off with a trippy little dance beat with some sounds of kitchen pots being hit. Most of the music is techno, which is characteristic of the Kid A and Amnesiac albums. Yorke's voice is somewhat distorted throughout the whole song.

Pyramind Song - Definitely one of my favorites from this album. Starts with a sad piano solo, after which Yorke lets out a light howl, and then intones the entire song in his traditional falsetto. Slightly sad and moody, bordering on hypnotic throughout the earlier part of the song, it ends with the entire band coming in. Love the lyrics on this song.

You And Whose Army? - A slightly different song, this one is essentially Yorke singing, almost moaning for most of the song. It's a very poetic song, with the interest being drawn to the lyrics rather than the morose string section and organ in the background.

I Might Be Wrong - This one is easier to get into than the others, due to its strong beat and rhythm. Yorke sings with his usual falsetto, and keeps up the pattern of sad songs on Amnesiac.

Knives Out - Another of my favorites, it's more reminiscent of songs on OK Computer than those of Kid A or Amnesiac. Pretty straightforward for a Radiohead song, with some nice lyrics.

Dollars and Cents - One of what I see as Radiohead's best songs, this one would probably fit better on Kid A. Primarily guitar and cymbals, nice string section in the background for this first part. The "We are the Dollars and Cents, the Pounds and the Pence... " part is absolutely great.

Like Spinning Plates - Pretty eerie song, it was built over the backing track of I Will from the Hail to the Thief. It sounds like the entire song is backwards, when in fact the lyrics are being sung forwards. The voice is extremely distorted, which is to be expected, and the song is characterized by the turn-table like noises.

Life In a Glass House - Powerful and emotional, this song is doubtlessly brilliant. Starts with a moan and a slow jazzy beat. Then the entire things turns into a sort of New Orleans style jazz session. I love it.

Band: Sigur Rós
Album: Agætis Byrjun
Songs: Starálfur, Flugufrelsarinn, Hjartað Hamast.

I'd like to second or third these guys. This Icelandic stuff is just brilliant. Really.
The albums aren't even too hard to find, and their sonic experimentations and powerful cresendos are worth listening to.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Band: Deathcab for Cutie
Album: Transatlanticism
Genre: Emo/Indy Rock

Melodius guitar work. Genius percussion section. Beautiful vocals with solid poetic lyrics. What more could you ask for from a band? These guys became an instant favorite of mine after listening to a couple songs I downloaded to sample their style. I'd compare these guys to a mix of pedro the lion/cold play/cool hand luke style bands. I strongly recommend this band to people who are interested in writing. The lyrics are very well written on this album and the music flows right along with it.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Artist: ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead
Genre: Indie rock

Holy crap these guys rock. Their vocalist(s?) rocks, and provides a nice contrast from the heavy, hard-hitting instrumentals. They're kinda artsy. Some songs like "Monsoon" have a classic kinda throwback feel while songs like "How Near, How Far" just plain rock. Interesting stuff.

Artist: The Postal Service
Genre: Indie rock.

Yeah, they've probably been recommended before in this thread, and for good reason. Their lyrics are wicked awesome, even if they're the lovey-dovey stuff I wouldn't normally like. They use cool drumming and static effects, and their vocals own. Try "Such Great Heights", "District Sleeps Alone Tonight", and "Nothing Better".

Artist: Liquid Tension Experiment
Genre: Prog rock/jazz fusion.

Holy ****. Incredible talent. They pretty much blow everyone else out of the water. All of their songs are instrumentals, with a pianist, bassist, guitarist, and drummer, and all of them are mad crazy badass. "Biaxident" is a must hear.

Artst: Megaherz
Genre: German rock/Industrial metal

If you like anything by Rammstein, you might like these guys, because hey, they're German too. The singing is just like...you want to listen to it again. Try "Gott Sein" and "Herz aus Stein".

Artist: Stabbing Westward
Genre: Industrial

Kinda gothy stuff. What else can I say? They sound like an industrial band. Try "Sleep" or "Save Yourself".

Artist: Powerman 5000
Genre: Metal

Aww yeah. Their vocalist is cool, their lyrics are cool. Their stuff is pretty heavy, though. Wicked riffs. My friend says that the vocals remind him of nightmares he had where he would look be zooming out, like to view the terrain in a film, but then he just keeps zooming out and out and eventually seeing the entire universe all at once. They're not quite like that, but you get the picture. Try "Free", "Super Nova", "Transform", and/or "Tonight the Stars Revolt".

Artist: Pennywise
Genre: Punk
Album: Land of the Free

Yeah, yeah, pretty much everybody hates punk these days. They just sound a lot more polished (at least on "Land of the Free") than most other bands. Just download "F*ck Authority", and if you don't like it, well there's nothing I can do. It's just the kind of music people kill government officials to.

Artist: Rage Against the Machine
Genre: Rapmetal

I'm sure you've heard of them. Wicked guitarist. Just a friendly reminder that even though they broke up, you don't have to stop listening to them. Try "Wake Up", "Know Your Enemy", and "Killing in the Name Of".

CORY

wut
BRoomer
dammit, now i'm gonna go to cd warehouse later on and forget half these bands i want to check out... you guys suck for putting so many in here...

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Believe it or not, CORY, you can be like MacGuyver and solve your problem with measly, underestimated household items. Look around your house and see if you have a "pen" and a "piece of paper", and, making contact with the tip of the pen against the piece of paper, use a wristy motion to "write them down".

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Seconding (or thirding) any votes for Velvet Underground, they rock so much.

Songs:

Here She Comes Now (The Nirvana version is a bit better, though)
Heroin
I'm Waiting for the Man
Femme Fatale (is this actually them? Not sure.)
Sweet Jane

---
Misc. Songs

Nirvana- Clean Up Before She Comes
Sigur Ros- Staralfur
Liquid Tension Experiment- Biaxident
William S. Burroughs w/ Kurt Cobain- The Priest,They Called Him
Grateful Dead- Shakedown Street
Charles Mingus- Haitian Fight Song
Charles Mingus- Gunslinging Bird
Bjork- Hyperballad
Bjork- Oh So Quiet
Thelonius Monk- Straight, No Chaser
Pink Floyd- Goodbye Blue Sky (skies?)

Probably recommended a bunch of these songs already, but man I'm too lazy to look.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
You've been awarded ONE (1) X-Prop

Originally posted by tmw_redcell
Believe it or not, CORY, you can be like MacGuyver and solve your problem with measly, underestimated household items. Look around your house and see if you have a "pen" and a "piece of paper", and, making contact with the tip of the pen against the piece of paper, use a wristy motion to "write them down".
*PROPS*

Anyways, you all need to listen to Bad Religion.
Sublime has been my favorite band for the last 6 years, and now, since a week ago, Bad Religion has replaced them. If you knew me like my friends do, you'd realize this is totally unexpected, bewildering, and almost down-right scary.

Bad Religion picks:
-Broken (((A MUST)))
-I Love my computer (((A MUST)))
-Struck a Nerve (((Highly recommended)))
-You (((you already heard this from Tony Hawk 2, good song)))
-10 in 2010 (((On crazy taxi, good song)))
-Inner logic (((VERY GOOD song, also on Crazy Taxi)))

Lt.Uber

Smash Rookie
Band: Hammerfall
Album: Legacy of Kings
Hammerfall is a great band with great songs. They have a medieval theme to most of their songs. They simply rock.

Band: Helloween
Album: Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2.
Helloween is the Godfather of Power metal bands. If you have even a shred of music sense, pick up a CD now!

Band: Lost Horizon
Album: A flame to the ground beneath
Good band, good songs. Most of the songs are over 7 minutes long and you will enjoy every minute of it.

Band: Blind Guardian
Album: Tales from the Twilight hall or Nightfall in Middle Earth
I think they have already been mentioned but these guys are great. Listening to them is like reading a book with awesome guitar solos.

Band: Queensryche
Album: Operation Mindcrime
One of my favorite bands, I just saw them in April at the HoB and they put on a GREAT show. I believe they fall into the genre of Progressive Metal but with all the genres now who can be sure? Operation Mindcrime is a concept album much like Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Hope you guys check some of these bands out.

Canis lupus

Fab Dandy
BRoomer
I'm sure someone's gonna peg me as an emo for this but--

Artist: Thrice
Album: The Illusion of Safety
Songs: Stare at the Sun, Trust, In your Hands, Kill me Quickly, The Beltsville Crucible, The Artist in the Ambulence

A kickass punk/hardcore/emo band from Orange County, SoCal. I only have their latest album, The Artist in the Ambulence, since it's published under Island Records and that's the only way it gets overseas, corportate mofos and all. Personally I think AitA is too hardcore; I prefer their more punk-ish songs. At any rate, they're one of favs.

Artist: Finch
Album: What it is to Burn
Songs: Enders, Letters to You, What it is to Burn

Sure they're Drive-thru, but wtf. Just picked them up, but I'm really liking their stuff. Tends to lean on the emo/screamo side of things.

FoX_KiLLz

Smash Journeyman
I've come across a cool band!

Band: Our Lady Peace
Genre: Er... Rock.
Album: ???
Songs: Somewhere Out There, Theif, Innocent, Clumsy
Other Comments: Uhh, my cousin showed me this band. I have been listening to them a lot lately. They sound kinda like Pearl Jam at some times, but they're awsome. I haven't been downloading as much lately. Ragnarok has been enforcing the RIAA's laws! XD!

Vinniek

Smash Cadet
Band name/Artist: HIM
Album: Razorblade Romance
Genre: AlternRock
Other Notes: I think the name of the band is called "her" in europe but im not shure, coz my friend told me that. Their actually like romantic rock but if you didint hear the lyrics youd just think it was plain old rock. As far as song recommendations go, get "Sigillum Diaboli" its my favorite song from them.

EDIT: Ok i looked through this topic and didint find any rap at all. The topic did not say you can only post rock music because thats what it looks like everyones doing. I find it hard to belive that out of everyone here noone likes rap.

Band name/Artist: D12
Album: "Devil's Night" and "D12 World"
Genre: Rap
Other Notes: Yes, I know you have all heard of them but I think we should switch it up because 90% of the music here is rock. What songs to get? "My Band".

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
Band/Artist: At the Drive In, The Mars Volta
Other Notes: At the Drive In was and still is one of my favorite bands, however they broke up, they then formed The Mars Volta...and their music is nothing short of an orgasim for the ears

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Artist: Louis Armstrong
Album: The Very Best of Louis Armstrong
Genre: Bluegrass, Jazz
Notes: Louis has definitely got one of the most distinctive voices you will ever hear, and he's an awesome trumpet player as well.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Time to reccomend some.

Artist: 311
Genre: Alternative Rock
Album: From Chaos
Notes: I'm surprised nobody's mentioned these guys yet. Amazing talent, and they've been around since 1990. Their music is absolutely amazing and it has a positive message to boot.

Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Genre: Alternative Rock
Album: By the Way
Notes: The Chili Peppers have been around since '84 but they're still going strong today. Similar to 311 but have their own distinctive sound.

Artist: The Prodigy
Genre: Big Beats/Electronica
Album: The Fat of the Land
Notes: Probably one of the best electronica bands around. Even if you hate techno, give them a listen.

Blind

Honorbound
Band : XTC
Genre : British Pop/Punk
Notes : I love this band, but for some reason very few people I know like them as well... The singer has a voice that's something of an acquired taste to the ear; it's not bad, but it can take getting used to. I listed them as Pop/Punk because their first few albums, White Music and Go2 are more British Punk, whereas they suddenly switch to Pop music... now their newest stuff sounds so different from their older music you'd think it was two different bands. All that aside, they are definitely unique; most of their songs you have to read and understand the lyrics to appreciate. One of their most popular titles, Dear God, has awesome lyrics and a guitar that's not half bad either. I recommend the following songs: Dear God, The Ballad of Peter Pumpkin Head, The Loving, The Man Who Murdered Love, Scarecrow People, and Respectable Street.

Band : They Might Be Giants
Genre : kind of undefinable, but basically pop/lite rock.
Notes : You've probably heard of these guys or something by them, specifically Particle Man or Istanbul. However, they also wrote You're Not The Boss of Me Now, the theme from Malcolm in the Middle, the theme from the really strange but hilarious cartoon the Oblongs, as well as the song Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. (you know... eeeeeeevil... evil is his one and onnnnnly name). They also do music for and with homestarrunner.com, which some of you probably check.
Their music is highly experimental, and they range allllll over the place, from sad love songs (End of the Tour - my favorite song) to upbeat and strange (Particle Man). They're educational (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescant Gas) and also do a lot of stuff for kids. One of their albums, No!, is an album "for the whole family" and is actually a lot of fun even if you aren't that young.
I could pump you full of information, but I'll just recommend some songs and albums.
Songs: End of the Tour, No One Knows My Plan, Ana Ng, Birdhouse in Your Soul, Dead, I Palindrome I, Experimental Film (first heard on homestarrunner.com)
Albums: John Henry, Flood, Apollo 18

I'll have to check out the stuff you guys recommended as well... now I can't complain that I don't know what to listen to for lack of choice... now I have to say that I don't know what to listen to because I have too much to choose from :p

CStick

Smash Lord
heres mine:

artist/band: Sevendust
genre: metal

notes: Great band, and they sound even better live. Every song is loud and has a great sound and rhythem to it. They have I believe four albums out. Sevendust just sounds frikken awesome!

artist/band: Evanescence
genre: Rock

notes: They have a good album out now, and would probably be considered a "big" band, but I decided to put them here anyway.
every song sounds eerie/haunting and has a nice flow to them.

artist/band: KoRn
genre: Metal
why?: Favorite band, so just wanted to.

Notes: They rule. That should be enough. Get their "Issues" album, that one is the one I like the most.

FoX_KiLLz

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Crotchfire
Game Over is an interesting band that I've recently taken a liking to. They basically do metal remixes of nintendo themes. If you'd like a good example, check out "Little Mac's Confession" which can be found on OCR.
I wish some idiot named "LiL FlIp" wouldn't have made an apparentally popular song so I could not find any artists named "Game Over" on KaZaA. He did it on purpose.

evaguy

Smash Rookie
(Not listing albums here)

Band: Offspring
Genre: Alternative Rock probably... could be Punk
Recommended Songs: 'The Kids Aren't Allright', 'Hit That', 'Pretty Fly for a White Guy', 'Keep 'Em Seperated'
Other: If you listened to the radio during the nineties you've probably heard these guys before. Put simply they kick ***.

Band: Weezer
Genre: I have no idea... Rock
Recommended Songs: 'Come Undone (The Sweater Song)', 'El Scorcho', 'Island in the Sun'
Other: Once again a very cool band. Vocals are probably the strongest point of all the songs with guitar being a close second.

Band: Scissor Sisters
Genre: Dance or Indie
Recommended Songs: 'Take Your Mama Out'
Other: Once again, if you listened to nineties radio you've probably heard that song. Or if you watch VH1. Overall they've got crazy vocals and a piano. Get some of their songs immeaditly!

Band: Violent Femmes
Genre: Rock/Alternative Rock
Recommended Songs: 'Kiss Off', 'Gone Daddy Gone', 'Blister in the Sun'
Other: Most kickass band ever? Maybe. All of their songs are simple, vocals guitar and drums. But they're extremely good. It's just amazing that they make songs so good with so little.

Band: Orbital
Genre: Electronica
Recommended Songs: Almost anything from 'The Altogether'
Other: Orbital is the first band I listen to when I'm looking for some good Electronica. The earlier the album the better it is in most cases.

Band: Moby
Genre: Trance/Techno
Recommended Songs: 'Extreme Ways', 'Southside', 'Run On', 'Bodyrock'
Other: Moby caould be called Trance or Techno depending on the album/song you're listening to. You know the ending song to the Bourne movies? That's 'Extreme Ways' by Moby. Now that you know that maybe you should get a few of his albums. I command you....

That's all for now.

JBird1203

Sgt. Pepper
BRoomer
Band: Air
Genre: Ambient pop (?)
Songs: Venus, Run, Surfing on a Rocket, Cherry Blossom Girl, Playground Love
Notes: French duo (omg freedom fries joke i hate the french lol), focus on the present, the here-and-now, instead of nostalgia. Space-oriented soothing songs. Also did the soundtrack for the Sofia Coppola film, "The Virgin Suicides."

Band: Oasis
Songs: The whole album, (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Notes: Once hailed as, "The next Beatles," Oasis had the possibility of living up to hype that large, but despite failing, still managed to make some **** good music.

CunningCubop

Smash Cadet
Jazz agogo, classical too

This thread is a bit massive, I wish I could take a look at it all but its a pain to sort through it all. Maybe if someone could organize it into different threads by genre, but thats just an idea. In the meantime

Bazooka wins the prize for best music overall for mentioning Bach, Miles Davis and Mingus too, but Bach especially.

Artist Charles Mingus

Album Ken Burns Collection

Notes This is a good assortment, most non jazzers like it. Mingus is pretty hardcore jazz at times, screamin and shouting. Read his autobiography if you want some some quasi-pornagraphic fiction. He raised quite a ruckus in his time. Mingus is just plain awesome. If you are rockly inclined and are interested in jazz there is some stuff on here to interest you.

Herbie Hancock

Headhunters

Good intro to jazz-esque stuff for the techno inclined. Modern techno probably owes its existence to this album's success. Jazz/rock fusion stuff, hardcore funk. Herbie Hancock is probably the funkiest keyboard player to live. The textures are a little dated sounding at times, but hey its a couple decades old, there were no cliches when this stuff was written.

Arturo Sandoval

I'm unsure of the album but if you are a jazzer who knows whats what try Trumpet Evolution. But otherwise, search kazaa or somesuch for any of his latin work. Best trumpet player of all time and definitely better than wynton marsalis.

Art Tatum

Unsure again, but I think its self-titled put out by Decca. Art Tatum is argueably the best pianist to ever live. Classical players would come to a bar to here him play jazz to see if the rumors were true. The jazz world has lots of nicknames, Bird, Dizzy, Warmwater Daddy, whatever, but people just called Art Tatum God. No joke.

Tchaicoffsky err however you spell it

You know him, he wrote the 1812 overture, (that was his least favorite piece) Check out his piano concertos, incredible.

Alexander Scriabin

Another crazy russian composer. Incredibly avaunt garde, at least in later works especially sonata #5. He invented his own chord system for his music. Also thought himself to be some sort of sex god/mystic. Needless to say, incredibly cool guy.

Beethoven

Some people wouldn't like him at all, he and Mozart defined the classical period, which sounds prissy and weak to people, I feel that way about some of his chamber music, but his symphonies! wow, good stuff, symph 6 2nd movement is awesome, the emo types might enjoy it.

Actually, this list could be quite a bit longer, but I'll spare everyone. If this list perked anyone's interest, pm me. We can talk jazz or classical or funk or whatnot

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I just recently got Good News for People who Love bad New by Modest Mouse and its one of the best I've ever had.

Some of you have probably heard some of their songs (Float On and Ocean Breaths Salty are played on the radio every once in a while), but I wish they would be recognised a little more, because they are a great band.

For those of you who haven't heard anything by them, they are a lot like Our Lady Peace, but their singer has a deeper voice (thankfully) and it has more drum and 'side' instruments (like trumpets).

The CD has 16 tracks (although three of them are less than ten second long, so really 13.) I love 11 of them, and the other two are good, but just too friggin' long.

It has good lyrics, too. Sure, some of them don't make that much sense ("We were shooting for the moon, we were shooting for the stars, but the kids were only shooting at the busses and the cars"? What?), but lots of great lines.

I encourage everyone to check it out.

~ Azure

EDIT: Also, I have to back up the people who said Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pink Floyd. They are both awesome.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Artist- Aimee Mann
Genre- Folk/Alternative, I guess
Album- I'm With Stupid, Songs From Magnolia
Notes- My favorite female songwriter outside of Bjork. Her work on the Magnolia OST (I'm not sure if she wrote it specifically for the movie or what) is my favorite. 'Save Me' is, I think, her greatest song and a good indicator to see if you'll like her stuff. Another good song is 'Wise Up' which is made even better the way it's used in the movie.
Other Songs- I'm With Stupid, Driving Sideways, Invisible Ink, Momentum, Deathly, One

Artist- Earth, Wind and Fire
Genre- Funk, Disco
Album- All of them, really
Notes- All in all, my favorite band of the 70's at the moment, they're just great, and have quite a range for their genre.
Songs- Shining Star, September, After The Love, Boogie Wonderland

Misc. Songs-

Dusty Springfield- Son of a Preacher Man
Dusty Springfield- The Look of Love
Scatman John- Love Me Tender (Elvis cover, really great)
Lara Fabien- Evidemment.
Radiohead- Punch-drunk Lovesick Singalong
Electric Light Orchestra (my current favorite band, but no time to recommend them now)- Telephone Line
ELO- Tightrope
ELO- Livin' Thing
ELO- Rain is Falling
ELO- Evil Woman
The Emotions- The Best of My Love
Queen- Somebody To Love
Bjork and Thom Yorke- I've Seen it All
The White Stripes- Lord, Send Me an Angel
The White Stripes- Hotel Yorba
Charles Mingus- Haitian Fight Song
Carly Simon- Nobody Does It Better
Isaac Hayes- Never Can Say Goodbye

--
Phew, that's enough for now.

Geo

Smash Ace
If you like Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse, do yourself a huge favor and pick up the Moon and Antartica by Modest Mouse. It is infinetely(sp?) better, not saying GNFPWLBN isn't good but The Moon and Antartica blow it out of the water.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Artist Everclear
Genre Rock (Alternative)
Album So Much for the Afterglow
Notes A solid band that I didn't hear of until recently. Their single "Everything to Everyone" is played on the radio sometimes. These guys have some solid tunes with lyrics that actually mean quite a bit, because the singer has experienced the experiences he sings about. In "Father of Mine", he talks about the pain he's felt after his father left him at a young age. "I was ten years old, Doing all that I could, It wasn’t easy for me To be a scared white bo In a black neighborhood. Sometimes you would send me a birthday card With a five dollar bill, I never understood you then
And I guess I never will." In "I will buy you a new life", you get lines like,
"I hate those people who love to tell you
Money is the root of all that kills
They have never been poor
They have never had the joy of a welfare christmas."
Good Songs Everything to Everyone, I Will Buy you a New Life, Father of Mine, Sunflowers, One Hit Wonder

Her Space Holiday
Genre Rock (Indie)
Album The Young Machines
Notes Woah! This band totally took me by storm, particularly because I was dealing with a relationship problem in my life. Simply amazing. Sweet beats, the use of violins combined with synthesizers, and soft vocals that hit home, this band's just great. Although some songs can depress you. "I'm looking down again, I'm losing all my friends, but it's allright... I'm forcing her to leave, she's the better half of me, but it's allright... I miss the both of you, so much that I can't move, but it's allright..."
Good Songs Tech Romance, Sleepy California, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, The Luxury of Loneliness

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
The best Everclear song, handsdown, is "Wonderful".
Don't disagree, or I'll be forced to be mildly irritated with you!

As for The Moon and Antarctica, I was going to buy it, but it was like $20, so I desided I'll wait until I get a job...

~ Azure

Geo

Smash Ace
Funny thing KI, the day I read your post a lady friend of mine gave me The Lonesome Crowded West and well it hasn't left my CD player yet.

I like it alot, it is a different Modest Mouse than from GNFPWLBN and TM&A. I stand by my statement that TM&A is still the best Modest Mouse album though.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I've recently listened to some older modest mouse songs, and I have to say they are very different and pretty cool. So, I gather that TM&A would be thier best CD?

The best Everclear song, handsdown, is "Wonderful".
I thought this song wasn't very good. Its about some kid and his parents are fighting and he cries a lot. What a baby.

Notes: The singer has a very distinct, different voice. Some people might not like it, but I thought some of you might.

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
The new Straylight Run LP, I really like it. "Mistakes we Knew we were making" and "The Tension and The Terror" are my 2 favorites off that one.

Any Tupac Shakur album or song, it's all gravy and good.

A band called "I Voted For Kudos" is also really really good. I reccomend the songs "She Hates Ska" and "Shallow Grave" the most however, especially Shallow Grave. They are ska/punk band, just so you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom