• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
HA! I finally got The Moon and Antarctica, and its totally awesome!
ESPECIALLY "Tiny cities made of ashes". When I heard that song... well, I think the only way to acuritely discribe it is this: o_O
Yeah, it wierd.

Now, I haven't heard many songs by them, ****, the only one I know the name of is "Giants", but FIVE IRON FRENZY is awesome.
I need to find more of their stuff!

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I got 3 songs so far off winMX of five iron frenzy. Mama Mia, which is a remake of a song, its OK. Pre-ex girlfrind, a cool song. Both sound pretty Ska. The third is "awesome god" which sounds like christian rock, but its pretty metal-ly sounding. and only about how great god is. (?)

I havn't gotten "giants"yet

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
I had the Lonesome Crowded West, then I sold it, cause it got boring. I have a pal who has loved Modest Mouse since thier first CDS.

New stuff Hiemie Likes. You get the names, nothing more.

Katamari Damacy Soundtrack
Tetrisphere Soundtrack
MC Paul Barman
The Pharcyde
DJ Shadow vs Cut Chemist
DJ Dieselboy

Stuff Hiemie Still loves:
Mindless Self Indulgence
Mindless Self Indulgence
Aphex Twin
Estradasphere
Secret Chiefs
Tom Jones (I don't know why either, maybe it's because he did a cover of Situation.)
Mr. Bungle
Fantomas
Steel Drum Music
MC Chris

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
You all have to hear this band (if you haven't already, since their very popular)

Artist/Band : Jethro Tull
Genre : Rock
Notes : One of the greatest bands of the 60's and 70's. This group took the world by storm with what I feel to be their greatest album, Thick As A Brick . The album only has one song (guess what it's called), but the song is around 30-40 minutes long. Now that may seam like a long waste of time, but the song is so incredible that you don't ever want it to stop. Also, the original album came with a pull out fake newspaper created by Jethro Tull.

This album, along with their other album Passion Play , are my favorite albums of all time. Anyone who hasn't heard Jethro Tull yet needs to go out and by one of their CD's now.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Originally posted by demoncaterpie
You all have to hear this band (if you haven't already, since their very popular)

Artist/Band : Jethro Tull
Genre : Rock
Notes : One of the greatest bands of the 60's and 70's. This group took the world by storm with what I feel to be their greatest album, Thick As A Brick . The album only has one song (guess what it's called), but the song is around 30-40 minutes long. Now that may seam like a long waste of time, but the song is so incredible that you don't ever want it to stop. Also, the original album came with a pull out fake newspaper created by Jethro Tull.

This album, along with their other album Passion Play , are my favorite albums of all time. Anyone who hasn't heard Jethro Tull yet needs to go out and by one of their CD's now.
All about Aqualung.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Band: Hatebreed
Genre: hardcore
Album: perseverance

this band is hardcore as ****, if you wanna get swole or maybe throwdown some this is what you would like listening to.

Band: Tool
Genre:??? dont know (ive heard it been called acid metal)
Album: lateralus

best album ive heard (but no other shy to far from it), tons softer than hatebreed but is really worth listening to.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I don't know if you have it in the US, since it's produced by Much Music, but the Big Shiney Tunes CD looks awesome this year.
Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Finger Elevin, The Darkness (No, its not "I Believe in a Thing Called Love". Don't worry.), Alexisonfire.
And, thankfully, Linkin Park didn't get on it this year!
The only bad point is that Blink-182 is on it... oh well.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
So are you suggesting a #1 hits CD for the music recommendations thread? Usually most of the stuff on those CDs are already heard of, and generally not favored by people who are sincerly intersted.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Well, it's not always well known artists. Ever hear of The Salads?
Yeah, I didn't think so. :p
Basically, I like pretty much every band on the CD, and if I had the money I'd go buy them all...
Here is a more complete list of the bands I personally like on it:

Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
Finger Elevin
Alexisonfire
The Hives
The Tea Party
Thornley

Assuming you haven't already heard of these bands, they are all awesome, so you should...

MillieQOF

Banned via Warnings
There's not enough J-rock in here!

Artist: hide
Genre: J-rock
Recommended Album: All of them
Recommended Songs: Dice, Pink Spider
Info: hide's been in loads of bands (Yokosuka Saver Tiger, X Japan, hide with Spread Beaver, Zilch), mostly as guitarist, but he's also done vocals. He's very pretty - and dead.

Band: Malice Mizer
Genre: J-gothrocksomething
Recommended Album: Merveilles
Recommended Songs: Illuminati (Just...don't watch the video before you think you're ready), Syunikiss
Info: So good band with crossdressing pretty boys. Could it get any better? They disbanded in 2001 though.

Acrobat

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by MillieQOF
There's not enough J-rock in here!
I agree.

As for hide, I would also suggest "Rocket Dive," "Breeding," "Beauty & Stupid, and "Tell Me." Although, being one of those rare artists who produce virtually nothing unlikable, nearly any song by hide would be recommended.

In addition to your recommendations of "Illuminati" and "Syunikiss" for Malice Mizer, I personally would recommend, too, "Le Ciel," "Seraph," "Aegen," "Bois de Merveilles," "Au Revoir," and "Beast of Blood."

To contribute another group to the list of recommendations:

Band: Dir en grey
Genre: J-rock
Recommended Album: Gauze
Recommended Songs: "Cage," "Increase Blue," "Yokan," "Child Prey," "Jessica," "ZAN," "Umbrella"
Info: While I am aware that quite a few music enthusiasts harbor something of an aversion for music which they cannot understand, that is, music composed by artists in a foreign language, Dir en grey could be considered an excellent example of a band which, given the choice, the listener would prefer not to understand. Their lyrical and song content ranges anywhere from the loss of loved ones to domestic tragedy and child abuse, however, as disturbing as the band may sometimes be, their music is not without intelligence or merit, nor is it disturbing simply for the sake of unsettling the audience. The music of Dir en grey could be characterized as being simultaneously energetic, intense, and engaging, offering a multitude of "angry" songs, while genuinely surprising their listeners with such songs as "Ain't Afraid to Die," "Mushi," and "Akuro no Oka," which, though not representative of the band's discography as a whole, serve as necessary reminders as to the humanity of Kyo, the band's vocalist, who is also the member of Dir en grey primarily responsible for writing the lyrics of their songs.

For more information on Dir en grey and other popular J-rock artists or groups, try visiting Project J, as the site's author provides a wealth of information regarding J-rock artists or groups, and even offers downloads of his favorite songs by those artists or groups.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
If you're a Radiohead fan, I'd totally get the Com Lag EP. It's basically a B-side compilation of the Hail to the Thief stuff, but some of it is really good:

Gagging Order: My favorite, a fantastic acoustic song.

I Am Citizen Insane: A bouncy instrumental techno-ish track, cheers me up alot.

Fog (Again): This is a live version of another B-side (from Amnesiac) and it's just Thom on piano. It's nice, but it's not as ethereal as the studio version and this one ends a little abruptly.

Paperbag Writer: One of the more experimental songs, and this one reminds me of Mr. Bungle for some odd reason. It sounds like some old movie soundtrack at first, with distant drums, but...I dunno, hard to explain...also, very cool bass bit in here.

Where Bluebird Fly: This one hasn't really grown on me. Just a weird instrumental track, but I'll keep listening.
---
Otherwise:

Nirvana: Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through the Strip
Rolling Stones: Stealing My Heart
Rolling Stones: Under My Thumb
Rolling Stones: Mother's Little Helper
Rolling Stones: Wild Horses
Foo Fighters: Everlong
Foo Fighters: Hey, Johnny Park!
Foo Fighters: See You
Procol Harum: Whiter Shade of Pale
Melanie: Brand New Key
Pink Floyd: The Thin Ice
Ten Years After: I'd Love To Change the World
Three Dog Night: One
Aimee Mann: Amateur
Aimee Mann: It's Not

Acrobat

Smash Rookie
Speaking of Radiohead, has anyone mentioned the fanmixes by Pawel Osmolski at deViloOD? My personal favorites are "Follow Me Around" and "Good Morning Mr. Magpie."

MillieQOF

Banned via Warnings
Acrobat, all of hides and Malice Mizers songs rock, you know, I can't recommend them ALL ;D
Dir en Grey are so good.. It's such a pity Kyo uses his voice in the wrong way at times. You know, too much screaming... You should've recommended Raison d'être.

Acrobat

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by MillieQOF
Acrobat, all of hides and Malice Mizers songs rock, you know, I can't recommend them ALL ;D
I know, but I just thought I'd add a few of my own favorites to your list.

Dir en Grey are so good.. It's such a pity Kyo uses his voice in the wrong way at times. You know, too much screaming... You should've recommended Raison d'être.
I rather like Kyo's screaming, actually. I suppose that he can overdo it at times, at live shows especially, I imagine, but his scream is one of the strongest assets in his vocal arsenal. For example, the tortured roar at the beginning of "audience KILLER LOOP" sets the mood for the entire Vulgar album in one ominous advance. It's almost as if Kyo is saying to the listener "This is our most intense album yet, so you have two choices: either get the **** out, or bring a change of underwear."

You're right, I should have recommended "raison d'être," however, considering the fact that I did recommend "Cage" and "YOKAN," and considering the fact that I also recommended the entire Gauze album, I figured that I had that era of Dir en grey's music covered. :chuckle:

FaTmAn2k20

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this really fits here, but does anyone have song suggestions for someone who plays acoustic guitar? I need songs to play, and I'm looking for songs that have good acoustic sounds. Difficulty doesn't matter; if it's easy, all the better, if it's hard, I'll buckle down and learn it. :)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Originally posted by FaTmAn2k20
I'm not sure if this really fits here, but does anyone have song suggestions for someone who plays acoustic guitar? I need songs to play, and I'm looking for songs that have good acoustic sounds. Difficulty doesn't matter; if it's easy, all the better, if it's hard, I'll buckle down and learn it. :)
TENACIOUS D.

FaTmAn2k20

Smash Journeyman
Wow, thank you for opening my eyes, Luigitoilet. I can't believe I've lived this long without listening to Tenacious D... what a waste

guitarhero

Smash Cadet
Band: Atreyu
Albums: Fractures in the Facade of your Porcelien Beauty, The Curse
Genre: Hardcore Emo/Metal
Songs: Someone's Standing on my Chest, Right Side of the Bed, Tulips are Better, more

A great band. Heavy, but still accessible

Band: Children Of Bodom
Album: Hatecrew Deathroll
Genre: Melodic Death Metal
Songs: Needled 24_7, Triple Corpse Hammerblow, Sixpounder, Angels Don't Kill

Heavy as ****.

FaTmAn2k20

Smash Journeyman
Artist Name: Elliott Smith
Genre: I've seen him classified as Indie-Rock, Folk-Punk, Folk-Rock, Folk, and Rock. He has a good acoustic sound though, so check it out if you like that kind of sound... also kind of a throwback artist.
Albums: From a Basement on a Hill, Figure 8, Either/Or, XO, Elliott Smith, and he has a couple songs on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack (including Miss Misery, which was Grammy-nominated)
Recommended Songs: Happiness, Needle in the Hay, Miss Misery, Son of Sam, Angeles, Fond Farewell

All the people that I've talked to about Elliott Smith are split; half my friends love him (the smart ones with good taste) and the other half despise him. Personally, I think his good songs are fantastic and his bad songs are merely alright, but the good songs more than make up for them. Songs like "Happiness" are the kind of songs you can listen to for weeks just playing on repeat, that's how good they are. Unfortunately, Smith died in October 2003 (apparently at his own hands), and now all that's left is memories.

Anyway, you all should check him out.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I always found it creepy that an Elliot Smith song is playing over the scene in The Royal Tenenbaums when Richie Tenenbaum is committing suicide.

Oh, and miscellaneous song recommendations:

Radiohead- Scatterbrain (just realized this last night, one of the saddest songs I've ever listened to.)
Nena- 99 Luftballons
Bjork- Who Is It?
Sigur Ros- Untitled #4
Aimee Mann- The Moth
Aimee Mann- It's Not (did I recommend this one already?)
Armando Trovajoli- I Lunghi Giorni Della Vendetta
Charles Mingus- Hora Decubitus

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
The name of the band is: The Arcade Fire.
The name of their only album (to date) is: Funeral.

I am going to copy/paste a description of the album from Questionable Content (where it was chosen as the number one album of the year, by the way):

The Arcade Fire are the darlings of indie-rock at the moment, and rightly so. This is an utterly mindblowing album. It's bombastic, ambitious, and uplifting. It's heartwrenching and ecstatic and almost overwhelming at times, but retains enough of a sense of humor and joy that it remains totally accessible. IT LIVES UP TO THEIR LIVE SHOW! It's hands down the best record of this year. (Indie-Pop)
How awesome they are.

X Japan

Smash Lord
Band - Lacuna Coil
Gener - gothic/metal
Albums - Comalies, HalfLife, In a Reverie, Unleashed Memories, and other one that escapes my mind right now.

Info - not much to say right now since i just started listening to them a week ago, but this is what i know. its Europe answer to Evanescence, but with both a guy and girl as lead singers and the lead girl Cristina Scabbia(she Italian) in my opinon has a voice that rivals Amy Lee.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Lucuna Coil has been around a while longer than evanescence. I dont listen to either one, but just thought i'd share.

I started listening to Elliot Smith, and I must say hes really good. I got four or five songs and really liked all of them. Last night I downloaded about 8 more, but havn't listened to them yet.

I downloaded a few things that I got as results when I typed in dreamtheater, and I didnt like them much. One problem though, might have been the bad search results, becuase each song sounded different, so I'll give them another try sometime.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Yeah, I guess that even though I like a ton of songs they've been arounds for a while and have like 10 albums worth of stuff, so yeah. Try the YTSE Jam, A Change of Seasons, Learning to Live, As I Am, The Glass Prison, and Don't Look Past Me. But yeah they're not for everybody. And a lot of their songs on P2P aren't theirs or are mislabelled as being different songs.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Venom Dream
HA! I finally got The Moon and Antarctica, and its totally awesome!
ESPECIALLY "Tiny cities made of ashes". When I heard that song... well, I think the only way to acuritely discribe it is this: o_O
Yeah, it wierd.
Yes! Modest Mouse is very weird. But I love them.

Artist: Gackt

Lately I've been listening to alot of Japanese Pop. I'd recommend looking into the artist nmaed "Gackt." He writes some good stuff... And he looks like a woman. My friend tricked me when I first saw him and said "Look at this girl, isn't she hot?" "Yeah she is actually," "hahahahahahhahah it's a guy dude," "oh.... **** you!"

Artist: Chevelle

Yes Chevelle came out with their new album entitled "This Type Of Thinking (Could Do Us In)." If you go here: http://www.chevelleinc.com/ You will automatically sample a small clip from their songs (being able to hear the music before buying is always nice). I was very pleased with this album. The lyrics are fairly powerful in a few songs. However I found that their sound was very similar to their last album (Wonder What's Next). That's discluding their 3 live albums which I haven't listened to though. If you're into rock with and a harder edge - definitely check out this album.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh gettin in to J-pop? Waheey :3 I used to listen to a lot of Gackt...but i sorta grew outta him xD

Artist: Chihiro Onitsuka
Genre: J-pop

Been listening to a lot of her lately :3 Got her 'ultimate hits' album and it's lovely. Her songs are generally quite mellow and ballady but they're very beautiful and melodic, soothing too. Personal favourites include "Fly To Me" and "Infection"

Artist: Misia
Genre: J-pop

I don't think i reccommended her yet have I? She's one of my absolute favourites <3 Her voice is so amazingly powerful and unique, absolute bliss in her ballads, but she does upbeat stuff too which is pretty sweet :3 Personal favourites include "Kokoro Hitotsu" (remixes are also fantastic) and "Everything"

Shade520

Smash Apprentice
Artist: The Shins
Genre: Indie-Pop
Album: Oh, Inverted World

This band is really good, I heard about them on the Garden State soundtrack, which is also really good. The Shins have a weird sound, that is a mixture of acoustic guitars and keyboard sounds. It sounds like old music from the '60s but I assure you it isn't. If you are looking for some calm tunes definatly check out The Shins.

Geo

Smash Ace
Artist: Cursive
Genre: Emo/Indie
Album: Cursive's Domestica

They are a bit quirky, the lead singer's voice may take some getting used to but **** this record is good. Buy it so you can see the booklet, it really pieces the whole album together. It's basically about divorce(sp?) and well the title says it all.

Artist: The Dismemberment Plan
Genre: Indie-Pop
Album: Emergency & I

Buy it and listen to it.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
band: the go! team
genre: hell if i know. best way to describe it is akin to gorillaz, only upbeat...
album: i think it's self titled, but i can't find it anywhere so i had to ARRLIKEApirate it.

it's just addictive to listen to... i keep getting myself hooked on huddle formation, especially, but all of it's good ****.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this one's been done, but:

Title: Turn On the Bright Lights
Band: Interpol
Genre: Indie, I guess
Description: Interpol's 2002 release is hailed by many of their fans as their best. Reviewers agree too, although they claim it sounds like Joy Division whoever they are. Many are extremely psyched about this CD because it proves that American bands can make music just as amazing as those across the pond. It's just sheer brilliance.
Favorite Songs: Obstacle 1, NYC, PDA, Say Hello to the Angels, Roland

dan smith

Smash Champion
Nephilim, I love Cursive. (Ugly Organ)

Band: The Party of Helicopters.
Genre: Punkish
Album: Something with the word "give" I think...

Super cool, I love falsetto, song about a mustache?

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
Soulja Slim

A great rapper that is now dead. My friend told me that it's because he was shot like 6 times in the chest by a 12 year old on his front porch. Wild stuff.

But yeah, anything by Soulja Slim is good.

EDIT: And Raccoon, Interpol is one of my favorite bands. Nice to see more of their fans around.

Hawkeyes

Smash Cadet
Band: Savatage
Favorite Songs: This Isn't What We Meant, Alone You Breathe, Commissar

Band: Three Doors Down
Favorite Songs: Kryptonite, Loser, Duck and Run

Give these both a listen and trust me, they are very good.

Hoefler

BRoomer
Band name/Artist: The Mississippi Breaks
Album: Not taking your stupid ***** advice
Genre: Indie/Drum n' Bass Techno
Other Notes: I found this CD in the back of my car. No one knows where it came from but there song titles make references to them being from the south suburbs of Chicago. "Walking around like we own swap-o-rama" and "I've located heaven, it's on 167th and Halsted". Swap-o-Rama is off of i-294 and 167th and Halsted is in Harvey!

Band name/Artist: Square Pusher
Album: Ultravision
Genre: Trance
Other Notes: I'm assuming they're UK from hearing their voices in the songs. This band is the most chill band I've ever listened to. All of their stuff is intoxicating. My ex-girlfriend showed them to me and whoa, they're very good.

You can find both of these bands from my name on the hub (311 there too.)

Pax and enjoi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom