• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody got an good bands for Pop-Rock? I recently heard Trading Yesterday's newest Album and I was awe-struck O.o

Snail

Smash Lord
@ Crashic

I like Tiny Vipers and Feist; especially Life on Earth impressed me. I'd like to thank you for the recommendations. Already knew Portishead and The Gorillaz but both are good stuff. I'm not really into electronic music so I skipped the last one x)

@ Luigitoilet

GY!BE is indeed awesome. I'll check Björk out soon; wanted to do that before but never really got around to it :x

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
boris - flood

minimalistic yet mammoth

careful with this one, it clocks in at a bit over 70 mins, 4 tracks total

one of my favorites @_@

maybe youll like it if youre into experimental/ambient/sludge/cool japanese stuff

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but I listened to both of their work and I didn't like it :/
Got anything else?

Really my top favorite bands right now are...

Coldplay
Vampire Weekend
Passion Pit
Coldplay- try The Temper Trap (listen to "Sweet Disposition"!), Sea Wolf, Grizzly Bear, As Tall As Lions, Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, some of the slower songs by The Dear Hunter (try "Life and Death", "What It Means to be Alone") and the more obvious bands would be U2 and Radiohead.

Vampire Weekend - The Fratellis, Arctic Monkeys, The Ugly Club, Phantom Planet, Miike Snow

Passion Pit - Phoenix, Stars, The Postal Service

you've gotta like atleast one of these haha i hope i helped!

Underload

Lazy
@ IcyDeath: Passion Pit and MGMT seem to go hand-in-hand for most people, it seems. I would definitely recommend them to somebody, if they asked me for music advice.

Besides MGMT, I'd say go for Miike Snow, Animal Collective, or maybe even Discovery. Those share a few common bonds.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Artist: Periphery
Genre: Progressive Hardcore/Metalcore
Albums: Periphery (self-titled)
Notable Songs: Light, Insomnia, Icarus Lives!, Totla Mad
Description: Think of Sky Eats Airplane with twice the talent and half the electronica. Add an 8-string guitarist and a better vocalist, and there you have it.

Artist: Circle Takes the Square
Genre: Mathcore/Screamo/Indie
Albums: As The Roots Undo
Notable Songs: Same Shade As Concrete, Crow Quill, A Crater To Cough In, Kill The Switch
Description: Hell, idk what genre these guys are, but they're **** good.

Enjoy!

:036:

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
Band: The Flaming Lips
Genre: Psychedelic/Indie Rock
Album: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Songs: The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Spongebob & Patrick Confront The Psychic Wall Of Energy, The Sound Of Failure, Fight Test
Description: Really relaxing and fun. Hard to describe them, so here's Wikipedia: "The band is known for their lush, multi-layered, psychedelic arrangements, spacey lyrics and bizarre song and album titles"

Band: Neutral Milk Hotel
Genre: Lo-Fi Indie Rock
Album: Aeroplane Over The Sea
Notable Songs: Aeroplane Over The Sea, Fool, Holland 1945, Everything Is
Description: Short lived, but still one of the greatest bands ever.

Band: Death From Above 1979
Genre: Dance Punk
Album: You're A Woman, I'm A Machine
Notable Songs: Little Girl, You're Lovely But You've Got Lots Of Problems, Pull Out
Description: Bass and drums. That's it. Most energetic music ever, it's so great.

Band: Puscifer
Genre: Industrial
Album: V Is For ******
Notable Songs: Indigo Children, Momma Sed, The Undertaker, Polar Bear
Description: I only recently got into Puscifer, but come on, lead singer of Tool and A Perfect Circle. What else is there to say? Maynard James Keenan is brilliant, and you should check it out.

Underload

Lazy
Band: The Flaming Lips
Genre: Psychedelic/Indie Rock
Album: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Songs: The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Spongebob & Patrick Confront The Psychic Wall Of Energy, The Sound Of Failure, Fight Test
Description: Really relaxing and fun. Hard to describe them, so here's Wikipedia: "The band is known for their lush, multi-layered, psychedelic arrangements, spacey lyrics and bizarre song and album titles"

Notable Songs: Little Girl, You're Lovely But You've Got Lots Of Problems, Pull Out
Description: Bass and drums. That's it. Most energetic music ever, it's so great.
I have both of these albums, highly recommend both of them. But, I don't recognize some of the titles, like the first 3 Flaming Lips songs you mention, and You're Lovely But You've Got Lots Of Problems by DFA79. Care to elaborate?

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
I have both of these albums, highly recommend both of them. But, I don't recognize some of the titles, like the first 3 Flaming Lips songs you mention, and You're Lovely But You've Got Lots Of Problems by DFA79. Care to elaborate?
Some of them aren't released on the albums mentioned, those are just my favorite songs by them.
The 3 Flaming Lips songs are from: At War With The Mystics, Spongebob The Movie Soundtrack, and Yoshimi.

The DFA1979 is from Romance Bloody Romance.
guise

i never understood neutral milk hotel

WAI??????
I dunno, it's a pretty awesome band.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't really see how NMH is some kind of band that you have to try hard to "understand" or grasp. It's very melodic folk music, that's all. The strangest thing is the abstractness of the lyrics and the vocals take a little getting used to I guess.

Some recommendates

Band: School of Seven Bells
Genre: electro-pop/indie
Description: Floaty, atmospheric, synthesizer-driven pop. Very hypnotizing vocals and arrangement but easy to listen to.
songs: Iamundernodisguise, My Cabal ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_WcaZZj0o ), Half Asleep, Wired for Light

Band: Lole Y Manuel
Genre: Modern Flamenco/Folk
Description: Spanish Flamenco mixed with some classical Arabian rhythms and very unique and powerful vocals.
Songs: Tu Mira http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEKFsYucCiM , Alquivera

Band: Super Mash Bros.
Genre: Mashup
Description: Forget Girl Talk. Mash Bros are the best mashup artists around. If you're familiar with the genre, they won't surprise you too much. The samples they use are mostly hip-hop/mainstream crunk music mashed with tons of other genres. Everything is very dancey and catchy, and put together super well.
Songs: Adler Girl Pt 2, Livin The Dream (I'm on a Float) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ix6b0WrAkc&feature=related , Bruce Willis Was Dead the Whole Time, Broseidon Lord of the Brocean- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKc-3nMI4U&feature=related

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Awesome band! My friend introduced me to them a couple weeks ago, and I just wish they were still together.

From my avi, if your into hard rock, Led Zepplin, Queens of the Stone Age or Foo Fighters, I really recomend Them Crooked Vultures (supergroup from the listed bands: Josh Homme, John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl). Hard rock at it's best imo :)

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
For anyone looking for a little bit of acoustic music, try out Paul Dempsey. In particular Ramona was a Waitress, but his album 'Everything is True' is all good.

If your interested, I hope you enjoy.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Iron and Wine - The Shepherd's Dog (Indie)
Delphic - Acolyte (Electronic Rock)
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour (electronic)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Tay Zonday. He's kinda old news I guess but I actually just heard him for the first time ever. "Chocolate Rain" goes back a while but it's definitely a worthwhile song, and his keyboard skills are fairly impressive. So yeah, I recommend Tay Zonday :D

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
Band: City And Colour
Genre: Folk Rock/Acoustic
Album: Sometimes
Songs: Hello I'm In Delaware, ...Of By Heart, Save Your Scissors
Description: Dallas Green from Alexisonfire's solo project, with acoustic guitar and occasional piano, it's definitely worth checking out, really, really relaxing.

Band: Elliott Smith
Genre: Folk Rock/Acoustic
Album: Either/Or
Notable Songs: Say Yes, Angel In The Snow, Speed Trials
Description: One of the greatest song writers of all time, and certainly one of the greatest musicians as well. RIP Elliott. You were incredible.

Band: Of Montreal
Genre: Indie Pop/Indie Rock
Album: Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Notable Songs: So Begins Our Alabee, We Were Born Again As Mutants With Leafling, Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse
Description: Depressing lyrics with happy instrumentals, of Montreal really should be more popular, it's one of my favorite bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom