• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(MW:W Cir) Event 52: Battle to End Hunger- M2K Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Well it's looking pretty good that my group will make it. You can put us down for a preliminary head count (4-6). Also mark us up for one full set up to be used for melee.

dmac

Smash Champion

MetafighterX, jimi8705(on the floor), dmac, darkrain, jesi

dont know whos teaming with darkrain(might be me), darkrain/metafighterx/UNDISPUTED sitting, guy in blue shirt?, phatgamers little brother, guy in blue hat?, mikefalco lover aka da bomb, rezo, demised, aly, dan smith, dyc, jimi8705

bunch of people, but i think that might be n64 in the red shirt with the super long hair, i dont remember
hrmm... place looks familiar !

this was the room we used ... in 2005

undisputed was awesome.

dmac

Smash Champion
didn't need to quote it!

we held a tourney at the church right across the street in 2005, i spent about 30 minutes looking for the original thread, but it got lost to the void of the internet somehow :/ was just reminiscing!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
didn't need to quote it!

we held a tourney at the church right across the street in 2005, i spent about 30 minutes looking for the original thread, but it got lost to the void of the internet somehow :/ was just reminiscing!
No excuses will excuse what you have done.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
AmBa LaNce has volunteered to be my Melee TO :) :) :)

And I decided to name it generically, "Battle to End Hunger".
Press releases to follow lol

PEEF!

Smash Hero
AmBa LaNce has volunteered to be my Melee TO :) :) :)

And I decided to name it generically, "Battle to End Hunger".
Press releases to follow lol
I feel that naming it Event 53 or some reference to the Event 52 series would be the best way to go. The most powerful thing about tournaments like SMYM and Pound is that "people went to the last one." Remeber Darkrain goes to every single SMYM still because "he has never missed one." Both Event 52 and Event 52-2 had big turnouts of big names. I highly highly recommend sticking with the name. It will really help this tournament take off because it is coming from one of the more successful midwest tournament series.

Dmac, you should PM a quick invite to all of the big OoR names that came to any of the past Event 52s. That means Cactuar, Mango, Jman, G$, Raynex...all of them. People really like coming back to tournaments that feel familiar. Confirm a couple of them, put them in the title and BAM everyone wants to come. This is how POE3 attendance took off.

I think that no name will help make this tournament awesome more than the Event 53 name (or Event 52-3, although I think that is a bit too much).There are many clever names including Battle to End Hunger, but that won't do HELP you, whereas keeping a very successful tournament series going will help you now and in the future when you do it again.

DeLux

I have no affiliation with Event 52. I dont' want whoever was in charge of that event to be all mad for me stealing their series and crap.

The melee people can unofficially call it Event 52 or Event 53 if they want, but in terms of advertising it locally, I am going to call it BTEH.

I'd even Parenthetically cite it as such :)

BTEH (Event 5X)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I have no affiliation with Event 52. I dont' want whoever was in charge of that event to be all mad for me stealing their series and crap.

The melee people can unofficially call it Event 52 or Event 53 if they want, but in terms of advertising it locally, I am going to call it BTEH.

I'd even Parenthetically cite it as such :)

BTEH (Event 5X)
I guess I don't understand how exactly it is being structured, but yeah having Event 53 in parentheses will probably do it justice. Maybe different threads for each game would help...dk.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Darkrain ran the event, I'm sure he'd give you permission.

Call it...Event 52: Battle to End Hunger.

Someone contact Darkrain and get the permission, lets make this thing a National Event. We'll end some serious hunger that way.

Also DMac, you're right Unsidput3d was awesome. I played him at MLG Vegas in...'06 I think? It wasn't the huge one that was the nationals...it was when EVO and MLG paired to do just a regional MLG Event. It came down to DSF and Rob$ in grand finals, with Caveman taking third, and Zelgadis in 4th. Where was he from?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
lets nor forget this is a combo brawl/melee event. event fifty two was a melee only event, i think this event should have its own name and i dont think KC can support a national currently :/

DeLux

Yeah, the only problem with making it a "national" is that I feel like the venue can only hold about 150 people. I could check max occupancy limits, but I think 150 is about right.

And we wouldn't have enough housing to support OoS'rs so they'd have to motel it up.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Yeah, the only problem with making it a "national" is that I feel like the venue can only hold about 150 people. I could check max occupancy limits, but I think 150 is about right.

And we wouldn't have enough housing to support OoS'rs so they'd have to motel it up.
I doubt you'll get 150 total even as a combo event. 75 each is probably the upper limit.

Phatgamer's house can hold about 150.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I wanna come to this but my money is gonna be hella tight also no interent sucks.

Jace08

Smash Lord
how many can you host?
Probably like 5-6ish

We won't be mad at you ><. Yes the name is associated with the kc crew, but we're the ones running the melee side of things anyway so nothing is being stolen. The previous E-52s have all gone very well so calling this one E-52 is a positive thing. Also I like your idea for BTEH, glad we're using both

Let me know if I can do anything to help, Lux! I guess there'll be more to do as the date gets closer

Trent

Smash Champion
Letting you know right now. If you intend to do pools AND brackets in the same day, this tournament is going to end at 4AM.

Suggestion: Don't do pools. Pools are really only useful for elimination uses, since if there's "no fear" of being knocked out of bracket, people do tend to not try as hard, thus making it random seeding, thus wasting ALL the time you just did to do pools.

Pools take FOREVER as well, especially since people don't play their matches because they think their "too good" to play them out right away. I believe you'll be determined to do pools, regardless of what I say. So just letting you know, I called it, when it's past midnight and the tournament is still going on.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Melee or Brawl or both?
Both, since I play both, both works. Trent plays Brawl. JB<M plays Melee. Both.

Letting you know right now. If you intend to do pools AND brackets in the same day, this tournament is going to end at 4AM.

Suggestion: Don't do pools. Pools are really only useful for elimination uses, since if there's "no fear" of being knocked out of bracket, people do tend to not try as hard, thus making it random seeding, thus wasting ALL the time you just did to do pools.

Pools take FOREVER as well, especially since people don't play their matches because they think their "too good" to play them out right away. I believe you'll be determined to do pools, regardless of what I say. So just letting you know, I called it, when it's past midnight and the tournament is still going on.
I like 4 am tournaments. I feel I'd do the best around then.

MJG

Smash Hero

Pretty much this.

DeLux

Pools will take 1/3 to 1/2 of the normal time because it's best of 1 full stage striking. Based on my calculations of number of games, the time allotted should be fine.

I want to at least have some form on non bracket play for the dual goal of trying to get some more casual players a chance to play more than 2 and out as well as a competitive tournament.

That being said, I'm going to be a TO control freak and demand matches quickly and efficiently.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Best of one? I really don't favor Bo1 matches. Brawl Mechanics FTW, ie trip into Fsmash to secure the loss.

DeLux

Either way it's random then. Which means it's equitable. Except you get the added benefit for bad people like me that get to play more than 4 sets for $10.

DeLux

Definitely not going to happen in terms of 2 day events.

A pool should take an hour if there are 4 people. 6 games by 8 minutes by a few extra minutes in between. That's assuming everyone goes for the TL special and times out every time as well.

I mean, I might drop doubles pools. But singles pools for Brawl are tentatively locked in because I said so.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
It's really rare to attend a tournament where a TO uses pools for Doubles. I think you're better off seeding the doubles bracket by location.

DeLux

Dropped doubles pools. Will go to random seeding tempered by region

Jace08

Smash Lord
so it was just pointed out to me that the tourney date is right before finals, for like everybody. Lux can we change the date to the 29th? I think it would make it easier on a lot of people. Obviously not everyone has the exact same dates for finals but to me this seems to be during the majority of them

DeLux

I can't get the venue date changed for earlier. Only later. :(

I'll try and see what I can do, but I don't know if I can do anything.

5/13/11 Academic Calendar Stop Day
5/16/11 Academic Calendar First day of finals
5/20/11 Academic Calendar Last day of finals

That's KU's schedule. Who are you talking about?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
The date seems about as good as it could be, it's still the weekend before Stop Day so it's not too bad, and if you made it after finals you'd have to content with move-out (which makes all of Lawrence a traffic jam) as well as people moving back home/out of Kansas.

The Event 52 brand is from the KC crew so there's no problem there, and I'm sure at least a few OoS crews would make the trip for old times' sake (Illinois and Tennessee come to mind). It probably won't be national-size but I say go ahead and try to bring as many people as you can, attendance usually drops anyway so it'll probably round out to about 150-200 if you can get interest.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Brawl related rule changes / recommendations:

- Extend the color blind rule to state that teams with Lucario, Sonic and Pokemon Trainer must use Blue Team.

- Highlight that all finals sets must be played on my Wii or else they will be considered friendlies.

- Lower the ledge grab limit, though I don't care about this one too much compared to the others.

You don't have to add these, but just thought I would mention them ^^;

DeLux

I changed the LGL to 33 and 81 for singles and teams respectively.

That's 4 per minute in singles and 5 per minute per teammate in doubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom