• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My essay as to why I think clones are necessary for future Smash Bros. insallments...

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I was at my neice's house when she bought an N64 and SSB64. We were playing days and days, cause i lived right next to her. My mom later bought me a Nintendo 64, and i borrowed the game for a while. My mom didn't bought the game cause she couldn't find it. So 2 years later, I got my gamecube and isaw Melee, and i immidiatly bought it. I was addicted to it as hell. When my friends were here, Smash was always the game we were playing. It was so fun.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I gave the Metroid series a try due to Samus in Melee. I got the one for DS, prime hunters or something. Loved it, still play it from time to time.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'd never played any Zelda or Metroid games prior to me playing Smash Bros. Melee. Melee really made me want to play the games all the characters that were in it, with the exception of Ness...and G&W...and maybe Marth/Roy.

It acted as a pretty good advertisement, I used at least $500 on games introduced to me on Smash. (Bunch of Metroid, LoZ, and I bought Ice Climber on the VC for the nostalgic effect, but it counts)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I posted my latyest essay which is a very long and elaborate essay about the history of the Smash Bros. roster throughout the series. It will be a very long read, however, I hope you all get something out of it.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Dang Pat, beat me!

Well, I agree with basically everything you said. Sakurai should've at least put Lip as a playable character in Brawl to cover the puzzle genre. Alas, the probability of her being playable is low, though, as Lip's Stick is a battering item *sighs*. Even if she was a semi-clone of Peach (whom I LUV!) that would've sufficed my longings of her inclusion.

Though I agree that Ridley is MUCH more popular than ZSS, I must say that she is an interesting addition and appreciate her inclusion (though I don't like some aspects of her movepool...).

...ZSS's suit ISN'T a suit; it IS painted on! lawlz (your comment made me rofl)

XACE-K

Smash Master
Good read. I basically agree with everything except for the fact that you don't like Snake.
I love him put he didn't really do much for Nintendo so I agree with you on that about Snake.

What flawed Brawl's roster according to most people is that it didn't follow the Japanese poll that came out concerning it and possible newcomers. When it had Ridley, K. Rool, Geno and others as top vote getters, we expected them to get in. What really happened was that the poll that was for Melee newcomers was first used for Melee (Bowser, Mewtwo, and Falco placed high on it and got in) and the reamaining characters that didn't get into Melee ere put in Brawl. (Wolf, Wario, Dedede for example)

The reason I brought this up is because this might be the answer to your question. The top characters on the Brawl poll will probably be the characters to get in SSB4 with a few changes here and there
which'll mostly be from the small retro or modern Nintendo series

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I remember getting the original, me and my brother saw the commercial and rented it. We could not stop playing it! I used Fox, and seconed Falcon and Yoshi.

We got Melee a year after it's release and thats when we got all our friends into the series. When Brawl was announced I **** my pants and then I reserved it. And in March I waited 2 hours outside at 12am waiting to get it!

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
ChronoBound said:
As for Star Fox, what has it done to warrant a third playable character? Why does it deserve three characters? Is it because people simply seem to think it deserves another one since one was added to Melee and both characters in that game were top-tier.
I think we can safely say that Mr. Sakurai didn't make his decisions based on Melee's tiers ;D

You answered it yourself earlier in the essay, though: In Melee, people were expecting either Falco or Wolf. You can only have so much time each game, but if there was Wolf anticipation going on, why not work with it for the sequel?

That does bring up your question of timing, though. It's a very good point. Brawl wasn't nearly as effective a Nintendo-brand hype machine as Melee was (I mean for the company's other properties. Hype for Brawl itself was enormous, of course. Bigger even than all the hype Melee generated for everything, itself and the games whose representatives it carried.)

On the other hand, the Big N isn't exactly hitting us hard with a lot of great material these days. The Big 3 are temporarily burned out, Pokemon is more of a handheld thing, and who the **** knows what's going on with Kirby. Selection wasn't great.

XACE-K said:
What flawed Brawl's roster according to most people is that it didn't follow the Japanese poll that came out concerning it and possible newcomers. When it had Ridley, K. Rool, Geno and others as top vote getters, we expected them to get in.
I chalk it up to time constraints. Ridley alone would have demanded massive animation resources to be done correctly, imo.

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
I think we can safely say that Mr. Sakurai didn't make his decisions based on Melee's tiers ;D

You answered it yourself earlier in the essay, though: In Melee, people were expecting either Falco or Wolf. You can only have so much time each game, but if there was Wolf anticipation going on, why not work with it for the sequel?

That does bring up your question of timing, though. It's a very good point. Brawl wasn't nearly as effective a Nintendo-brand hype machine as Melee was (I mean for the company's other properties. Hype for Brawl itself was enormous, of course. Bigger even than all the hype Melee generated for everything, itself and the games whose representatives it carried.)

On the other hand, the Big N isn't exactly hitting us hard with a lot of great material these days. The Big 3 are temporarily burned out, Pokemon is more of a handheld thing, and who the **** knows what's going on with Kirby. Selection wasn't great.

I chalk it up to time constraints. Ridley alone would have demanded massive animation resources to be done correctly, imo.
I'd have to agree, and if they had added Ridley in, he would either have to be oversized, or sized down to the original hight of a large character, which would look quite weird. It would kinda be like trying to size Giga Bowser down to the size of Mario. It just wouldn't work.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
What flawed Brawl's roster according to most people is that it didn't follow the Japanese poll that came out concerning it and possible newcomers. When it had Ridley, K. Rool, Geno and others as top vote getters, we expected them to get in.
The Brawl poll has never been released. If so, please hand me a link.

Kirby Wii is in development, we have Mario Galaxy and Phantom Hourglass. Pokemon Platinum is on its way. I'd be more concerned about F-Zero. =P

I'd have to agree, and if they had added Ridley in, he would either have to be oversized, or sized down to the original hight of a large character, which would look quite weird. It would kinda be like trying to size Giga Bowser down to the size of Mario. It just wouldn't work.
Why would it look weird if he was downsized? They resized all of the Pokemon and Olimar. The latter wouldn't even be as big as a coin if he was in real size. The game is not about being canon, it's about having fun and beating up Nintendo characters with your favourites.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Got melee in 2002, but I never got competative. I was addicted to it untill 2003 or so. When brawl came out I discovered this site and knew of the competative scene of SSB. epic

:088:
Thats pretty much my story as well. I really hated Melee's roster of cloning, back when I first played it. I never got around to playing melee to its full potiental since there were really no competitive players to fight with. Brawl's done a better job trying to get around the cloning idea. From a developers stand point, i can see why cloning is easier to do...and melee had a shorter development period vs brawl.

At least im not heartless like some people that sell their copies of Melee/SSB when the newer generation comes out.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
The Brawl poll has never been released. If so, please hand me a link.

Kirby Wii is in development, we have Mario Galaxy and Phantom Hourglass. Pokemon Platinum is on its way. I'd be more concerned about F-Zero. =P

Why would it look weird if he was downsized? They resized all of the Pokemon and Olimar. The latter wouldn't even be as big as a coin if he was in real size. The game is not about being canon, it's about having fun and beating up Nintendo characters with your favourites.
Kirby Super Star Ultra [remake of the SNES title] was also released this past November. Also a very good DS title to pick up if you havent played the SNES original.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I don't see a lot of mistakes in Brawl's roster...

Mewtwo was removed because it was not actual anymore, and that should please you :p

The only (big) mistake was not to include Krystal...

Patinator

Smash Champion
I don't see a lot of mistakes in Brawl's roster...

Mewtwo was removed because it was not actual anymore, and that should please you :p

The only (big) mistake was not to include Krystal...
^I'd be careful if I were you. Lots of people hate Krystal. Like Chrono. :p (And me but I have my restraints)

I agree for the most part with your new essay, Chrono, but WTF @ Dark Samus hate.

:mad:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^I'd be careful if I were you. Lots of people hate Krystal. Like Chrono. :p (And me but I have my restraints)

I agree for the most part with your new essay, Chrono, but WTF @ Dark Samus hate.

:mad:
I don't hate Dark Samus. Dark Samus would have actually have been a worthy addition for Brawl. However, now that the Prime series is over, Dark Samus would be pointless to add. Also, Dark Samus was a pretty original villain. It cared about the expansion of its species as opposed to simply "lol world domination", sort of like a more sentient version of Lavos.

Anyway, yeah, Krystal deserves no place in Smash. She is one of Nintendo's worst characters in my opinion.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
Kojima came to Sakurai during the production of Melee about putting Snake in Smash and with this he was pretty much handed a spot for Brawl even if he was not as deserving as Megaman, Geno or Sonic.

If I remember right Nintendo had to sue Rare to gain the rights to use Krystal in Star Fox Assault. Least it gave the series a female lead and once you sued for the character why not use them, lol. Yeah, Wolf is more deserving than Krystal for a third character from the series. That being said, if it was Krystal least we would not have three characters with a similar moveset. I believe that would have helped the series' image in realm of Smash more.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Kojima came to Sakurai during the production of Melee about putting Snake in Smash and with this he was pretty much handed a spot for Brawl even if he was not as deserving as Megaman, Geno or Sonic.

If I remember right Nintendo had to sue Rare to gain the rights to use Krystal in Star Fox Assault. Least it gave the series a female lead and once you sued for the character why not use them, lol. Yeah, Wolf is more deserving than Krystal for a third character from the series. That being said, if it was Krystal least we would not have three characters with a similar moveset. I believe that would have helped the series' image in realm of Smash more.
Source? Unless you supply a source I call shenanigans (I am talking about the Krystal part).

Patinator

Smash Champion
I don't hate Dark Samus. Dark Samus would have actually have been a worthy addition for Brawl. However, now that the Prime series is over, Dark Samus would be pointless to add. Also, Dark Samus was a pretty original villain. It cared about the expansion of its species as opposed to simply "lol world domination", sort of like a more sentient version of Lavos.
The Ice Climber series is more or less over, and look who got in Melee and Brawl. Dark Samus is the only good representative for the Prime subseries, which should still probably recieve one character as represenatation- it's all Metroid's been for quite some time. You got that, NOOB?! :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Ice Climber series is more or less over, and look who got in Melee and Brawl. Dark Samus is the only good representative for the Prime subseries, which should still probably recieve one character as represenatation- it's all Metroid's been for quite some time. You got that, NOOB?! :p
If it were up to me, Metroid's representation would be Samus, Ridley, and Dark Samus. Zero Suit Samus (like Sheik) is an unneccesary addition.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
What I want to see in the next addition to the Brawl series is simply more of a "core" basis for the characters and the series chosen. I'm tired of seeing a bunch of minor characters or characters from series that mean next to nothing when it comes to the legacy of Nintendo. The characters like Ice Climbers, MG&W, Captain Falcon (debatable), and Pit need to go in order to more flesh out the characters that actually had a meaningful career in Nintendo's history, instead of spending all this time and effort making up nonexistent move lists for characters that don't even do enough from their original games to base attacks on.

And by "core," I do not mean popular. I mean significant; characters that actually had a prominent role in their respective series, and come from significant series from Nintendo.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
Source? Unless you supply a source I call shenanigans (I am talking about the Krystal part).
http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/n64/dino/dino.html

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/134/134516p1.html

There is the original Dinosaur Planet design which was for the Nintendo 64 and supposed to be Rare's final project for Nintendo, which featured two anthropomorphic foxes called Sabre and Krystal. Originally, the game had nothing to do with the Star Fox series. This is why Rare and Nintendo fought over who owned the rights to Krystal and Tricky. They were created by Rare for a completely new series and only after the release of the Gamecube and the required updating of the graphic for Dinosaur Planet did this new series merge with the Star Fox series.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/n64/dino/dino.html

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/134/134516p1.html

There is the original Dinosaur Planet design which was for the Nintendo 64 and supposed to be Rare's final project for Nintendo, which featured two anthropomorphic foxes called Sabre and Krystal. Originally, the game had nothing to do with the Star Fox series. This is why Rare and Nintendo fought over who owned the rights to Krystal and Tricky. They were created by Rare for a completely new series and only after the release of the Gamecube and the required updating of the graphic for Dinosaur Planet did this new series merge with the Star Fox series.
They did not fight over anything. I know that SFA was originally Dinosaur Planet. Nintendo did not fight to keep the rights to anything. There was an agreement between Rare and Nintendo that all the characters that Rare created for Nintendo's franchises that Rare worked on (Donkey Kong and Star Fox) would be owned by Nintendo, and that all the series created by Rare would be owned by Rare. Don't make stuff up.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
A History and Analysis of the Roster Throughout The Smash Bros. Series
Where do you all think should be done in regards to the next Smash Bros.'s roster?
Where?

You pretty much just recapped many obvious things about the characters that have been known for a long time and discussed to death and threw in your own opinion at the end. Isn't this what the SSB4 thread is for?

Smash Bros. has not and will probably never be a perfect representation of Nintendo as a whole, but that hasn't stopped the series from selling millions worldwide and becoming one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and being massively popular among casual fans and competitive players alike, has it?

Good writing though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Where?

You pretty much just recapped many obvious things about the characters that have been known for a long time and discussed to death and threw in your own opinion at the end. Isn't this what the SSB4 thread is for?

Smash Bros. has not and will probably never be a perfect representation of Nintendo as a whole, but that hasn't stopped the series from selling millions worldwide and becoming one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and being massively popular among casual fans and competitive players alike, has it?

Good writing though.
You're wrong. If Sakurai didn't care about adequately representing Nintendo's history, then a character like Mr. Game & Watch would have never have been placed in. The roster is not dictated by popularity. It is instead decided by current importance in the series at the time, as well as series that have become important enough to warrant a playable character (as Sakurai had decided for Pikmin and Wario by Brawl), and if a character can make itself into an unique addition while at the same time surprise the player (like Ice Climber, Pokemon Trainer, and ROB).

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Spadefox said:
Galaxy and PH were released in 2007, and there'll be a "cooldown" before the next round can come (though I have heard a Wii-built Zelda is in the works...) Platinum just rounds out DPP so it's not so exciting, and Kirby has been "in development" for about a hundred years now. Since 2005 iirc?

I also meant to mention that there's been a total of ZERO major new Nintendo franchises in the 7th hardware generation.

Spadefox said:
Why would it look weird if he was downsized? They resized all of the Pokemon and Olimar. The latter wouldn't even be as big as a coin if he was in real size.
His proportions would be hardcore off. But my point had more to do with the difficulty in animation, what with all his interlocking parts and innumerable points of articulation.

@ChronoBound:

Have you thought about making a new thread each week instead of updating this one? It's a bit tricky trying to hunt around for the cutoff point between topics...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
You're wrong. If Sakurai didn't care about adequately representing Nintendo's history, then a character like Mr. Game & Watch would have never have been placed in. The roster is not dictated by popularity. It is instead decided by current importance in the series at the time, as well as series that have become important enough to warrant a playable character (as Sakurai had decided for Pikmin and Wario by Brawl), and if a character can make itself into an unique addition while at the same time surprise the player (like Ice Climber, Pokemon Trainer, and ROB).
The roster is somewhat dictated by popularity. I think the fact that Sakurai has put out character polls attests to that. I don't deny that Smash Bros.' roster takes into account al those things you mentioned, because it's all true. But that vague definition doesn't explain third-party characters, Zero Suit Samus, three Star Fox characters, etc. The roster will probably never be "perfect Nintendo represenation" because...what is "perfect Nintendo representation" anyway? Insert opinions here.

@ChronoBound:

Have you thought about making a new thread each week instead of updating this one? It's a bit tricky trying to hunt around for the cutoff point between topics...
It would all fit perfectly in the SSB4 thread....

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
Why be concerned about F-Zero? The series hasn't even developed in the last few years. Mario Galaxy came out over a year ago, as did Phantom Hourglass. A game called "Kirby Wii" is said to come out in February 2010. I'm guessing it will be kinda like Crystal Shards. If they have Wi-Fi for the game, It will probably be boring. And already hard to make. I mean, how can you make a Wi-Fi game out of an adventure game without completely changing the game to dicksplit measures? Nintendo hasn't developed Mario games for quite a while either. About brands other than Nintendo, I'm SO FREAKIN' GLAD they made another Trackmania game. The game is coming out on March 17, 2008. I already pre-ordered it. It will probably be the most popular DS game other than Mario Kart DS. You'll get to make your own custom tracks and race on them, the Wi-Fi won't change the game, and the graphics will be GREAT. Sonic Unleashed didn't get good reviews that I was expecting. A new Megaman is said to come out in 2010. Now what I REALLY wanna know, is when they'll make a new system. Like, a COMPLETELY new system. Not a Wii 2, not a PS4, not an Xbox Supreme, but a whole new system all together.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One criticism of the article (or the analysis in general) is to understand how the franchise get characters. It's not the games it sales, but the fans who support those characters. Fire Emblem has one of the worst averages in all of Nintendo big hit series. Starfox's average is 2,060,000 units while Fire Emblem is 284,000 (counting only the average of the international releases to coincide with Starfox). Despite a "decline" the franchise has had large backing from the fan base and is still doing OK in terms of sales. This is why Starfox gets characters (NOTE:When adding Falco, Sakurai said he was shocked at Starfox's popularity.) This shows he probably isn;t biased and the fan base is strong).

Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Also, I got Smash becuase I noticed a lot of franchises that I likes, namely Pokemon.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One criticism of the article (or the analysis in general) is to understand how the franchise get characters. It's not the games it sales, but the fans who support those characters. Fire Emblem has one of the worst averages in all of Nintendo big hit series. Starfox's average is 2,060,000 units while Fire Emblem is 284,000 (counting only the average of the international releases to coincide with Starfox). Despite a "decline" the franchise has had large backing from the fan base and is still doing OK in terms of sales. This is why Starfox gets characters (NOTE:When adding Falco, Sakurai said he was shocked at Starfox's popularity.) This shows he probably isn;t biased and the fan base is strong).

Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Also, I got Smash becuase I noticed a lot of franchises that I likes, namely Pokemon.
No way in hell does Star Fox deserve four characters. Star Fox is nowhere near on the same level as Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. Heck, its not even on the same level as Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Kirby. Star Fox has even fallen behind Metroid in Japan in terms of sales (Hunters outsold Command in Japan, Hunters is regarded by most Metroid fans to be the worst Metroid game).

It seems as the people who have primarily criticized muy massive essay are people who back Krystal for Smash 4. I wonder why?

Also, it seems as though my points went over flyinfilipino's head...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No way in hell does Star Fox deserve four characters. Star Fox is nowhere near on the same level as Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. Heck, its not even on the same level as Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Kirby. Star Fox has even fallen behind Metroid in Japan in terms of sales (Hunters outsold Command in Japan, Hunters is regarded by most Metroid fans to be the worst Metroid game).

It seems as the people who have primarily criticized muy massive essay are people who back Krystal for Smash 4. I wonder why?

Also, it seems as though my points went over flyinfilipino's head...
SmashChu said nothing about Star Fox getting more characters.

What are you implying, and would you care to elaborate? Obviously, agreeing with you isn't enough to keep you from turning into a brat. There's no need to turn into an immature child whenever anyone disagrees with you. I know you're trying to gain some sort of respect in this community, and you'd be doing a better job if you didn't come across the way you do.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
SmashChu said nothing about Star Fox getting more characters.

What are you implying, and would you care to elaborate? Obviously, agreeing with you isn't enough to keep you from turning into a brat. There's no need to turn into an immature child whenever anyone disagrees with you. I know you're trying to gain some sort of respect in this community, and you'd be doing a better job if you didn't come across the way you do.
I am just posting an observation. I am not being immature. I have observed that most of the people that disagree with my opinion are people who like Krystal and want her playable ion Smash 4. If posting correct observations makes someone immature, then a lot of intellectuals on this site are immature. Please drop the conversation now, you are only going to try to exscalate thing.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
The only thing I can't get with is people wanting Ridley in. Explain to me HOW it would be in? It's a huge massive bird that would be as big as Master Hand and I'm not even talking about his moveset, I don't see it having much possibility of good looking attacks attach to him. *only complaints*

But anyways, great article there! *thumbs up* I'll read your next ones for sure ;)

On another note: I started playing smash when my friend said he bought a fighting game (I don't like much them in general) but when he stated it was with Nintendo characters, I said : What? I don't believe you! We went to his house, and I played one of the most amazing game ever ^^

As for the next smash game, old characters always have a spot in the roster IMO. They don't only represent Nintendo's present series, but also it's past, where the glory began. We can't turn our back on them, they always deserve to be in. But for the Starfox thingy, don't add a new character :p Just... REPLACE WOLF! For like Krystal, for example. With her stick, not a **** blaster. I'd see Waluigi making his real debut, not as a stupid Assist trophy. Samurai Goroh, being the ''rival'' of Captain Falcon, would be a great choice to my eyes. Megaman really could come as a worthy 3rd party, or Zero, but MegaMan probably would have more chance. If Snake were to disappear, I wouldn't cry. Though it was awesome to see him in, he's not Nintendo-ish. He's more playstation-ish. And for the Pokemon series, I kind of hope Raichu would be in Brawl, (kind of a logic follow-up to me), but oh well, it's not that drastic. If they could had my Mewtwo back, it'd be cool ^^ Ganondorf... with a SWORD! Geez they made Twilight Princess and Wind Waker where Ganondorf was fighting with swords! Of course I let it slip by for Melee since, well, Melee was the first game we saw him with a sword (only in the winning sequence after a battle thought >_>). Oh well, it's not going to be tomorrow they will announce the next smash games. Probably a bit after the unveil of their next console or in 6 years.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
The only thing I can't get with is people wanting Ridley in. Explain to me HOW it would be in? It's a huge massive bird that would be as big as Master Hand and I'm not even talking about his moveset, I don't see it having much possibility of good looking attacks attach to him. *only complaints*

But anyways, great article there! *thumbs up* I'll read your next ones for sure ;)

On another note: I started playing smash when my friend said he bought a fighting game (I don't like much them in general) but when he stated it was with Nintendo characters, I said : What? I don't believe you! We went to his house, and I played one of the most amazing game ever ^^

As for the next smash game, old characters always have a spot in the roster IMO. They don't only represent Nintendo's present series, but also it's past, where the glory began. We can't turn our back on them, they always deserve to be in. But for the Starfox thingy, don't add a new character :p Just... REPLACE WOLF! For like Krystal, for example. With her stick, not a **** blaster. I'd see Waluigi making his real debut, not as a stupid Assist trophy. Samurai Goroh, being the ''rival'' of Captain Falcon, would be a great choice to my eyes. Megaman really could come as a worthy 3rd party, or Zero, but MegaMan probably would have more chance. If Snake were to disappear, I wouldn't cry. Though it was awesome to see him in, he's not Nintendo-ish. He's more playstation-ish. And for the Pokemon series, I kind of hope Raichu would be in Brawl, (kind of a logic follow-up to me), but oh well, it's not that drastic. If they could had my Mewtwo back, it'd be cool ^^ Ganondorf... with a SWORD! Geez they made Twilight Princess and Wind Waker where Ganondorf was fighting with swords! Of course I let it slip by for Melee since, well, Melee was the first game we saw him with a sword (only in the winning sequence after a battle thought >_>). Oh well, it's not going to be tomorrow they will announce the next smash games. Probably a bit after the unveil of their next console or in 6 years.

yes i have to agree there,ridley being in brawl would be overpowered and....weird......
:026: in next ssb game=win

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Why people fail to realize that characters can be resized? Bowser has been downsized. Olimar, ROB, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario and the PT Pokemon have been made bigger.

As for the next smash game, old characters always have a spot in the roster IMO. They don't only represent Nintendo's present series, but also it's past, where the glory began. We can't turn our back on them, they always deserve to be in. But for the Starfox thingy, don't add a new character :p Just... REPLACE WOLF! For like Krystal, for example. With her stick, not a **** blaster. I'd see Waluigi making his real debut, not as a stupid Assist trophy. Ganondorf... with a SWORD! Geez they made Twilight Princess and Wind Waker where Ganondorf was fighting with swords! Of course I let it slip by for Melee since, well, Melee was the first game we saw him with a sword (only in the winning sequence after a battle thought >_>).
Why replacing Wolf? Wolf is a very important character, very popular and has been around since the second game, only out-aged by Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppy and Andross. He has been in every game except Adventures and was planned to be in the cancelled Star Fox 2. And even if Krystal would be included, there is NO guarantee she would use her stick. In fact, knowing Sakurai, she'd probably end up with a moveset based on Zero Suit Samus (both wear blue catsuits... get it?).
Why should Waluigi be included as a character? The only thing speaking for him is that he's basically the personification of Mario spin-offs. Everything else makes other characters more important.
Ganondorf getting a sword is VERY unlikely with his clone status in Brawl. He will, at most, become luigified, because Sakurai most likely will not change the moveset muchly anymore, as he wants this certain playstyle on Ganondorf.

Though I'm a bit disgruntled that this discussion basically is the same as in the SSB4 thread.

Edit: Gah, since instead of except. I'm getting all dizzy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Thank you for your feedback. However, I will tell you this regarding many of your character decisions. A lot of those characters are minor characters within their respective series (Waluigi, Krystal). As I said at the end of my essay, I think that Smash Bros. must look elsewhere for roster lifeblood. Minor characters from major series is not the way to go, neither is an overload on third-parties (though an increase aimed at iconic third-party characters that had lots of history on Nintendo consoles is something that could be in the cards). Either way, I think most of the sensible characters from veteran series (series that already have at least one playable character within Smash Bros.) haver already been added to Brawl. The only two major stars from veteran series that have not been added are K. Rool and Ridley (and to a lesser extent Paper Mario or Bowser Jr.).

As for Ridley's size, it can definitely be made to change. Ridley has a slew of moves from the many games he has been to make his moveset practically write itself.
Also, there is absolutely no guarantee that Krystal would use her "stick" if she was ever made playable in Smash. The magic stick was not used since Adventures, regarded by many as the black sheep of the Star Fox series. Look at Toon Link. He had the Deku Leaf,Skull Hammer, Grappling Hook, Bombchus, Tingle Tuner, and Hurricane Spin. Did any of those items and abilites make it into his moveset? No. More often than not, Sakurai creates an original moveset for the characters he places into Smash Bros.

As for Ganondorf getting an original moveset, his only hope is Black Shadow. Black Shadow has the same body compostion as Ganondorf, and also uses dark magic, making a hand-to-hand moveset with dark magic a perfect fit for him. Black Shadow would also be in all likliness very strong, slow, and heavy, much like Ganondorf is in Smash. Unless Sakurai knows that he can give Ganondorf's old moveset to Black Shadow, it is very likely that Ganondorf will still have the Captain Falcon-clone moveset in Smash 4, if nothing else but for Sakurai not wanting to alienate the people who mained the slower, heavier, more powerful Falcon clone for the past two Smash Bros. games.

Top Bottom