• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My little pony friendship is magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=4052]My little pony friendship is magic[/drupal]

Original Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297701

I decided to get the authors permission to repost in a thread (or in this case blog) so there was a thread outside of the discoroom so other possible fans, and/or curious by passers could talk about this rather unique (In a good way) show.

Here is the quote from the original opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajice

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

About the Show
I've been pushing the new My Little Pony series all over smashboards since like... November, and people have started to actually take notice. Probably because it's gotten even more popular since then. Therefore, time to make a thread about it.

Now first off, you're probably asking the question.

And the answer is... It's not just a show for little girls! Sure it's made with them in mind, but the things people think of when they hear "little girl's show" aren't a part of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I know, you're looking at that title and going "Yeah right!" When you think of "little girl's show" you're probably thinking of those awful Barbie movies, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, or the old My Little Pony series. All these shows are about frufru girly garbage. You watch it and want to kill yourself.

This series, however, is more akin to old Cartoon Network cartoons and in some cases employs the good old Looney Toons/Tom and Jerry shenanigans we all know and love. Remember when people dropped pianos and anvils on other people? Yeah, that happens in this show. Surely any cartoon fan knows Craig McCracken, the creator of shows like Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Well his wife, Lauren Faust, who also worked on many of Craig's projects, is the person in charge of this here cartoon. That gives it merit on its own!

How else does this cartoon separate itself from others? Aside from what is arguably the best use of flash animation in a cartoon ever, every character is unique and lovable in their own way. It can be hard to pick a favorite, as you'll love every character for different reasons. Your typical "little girl's show" usually has every character being the one-dimensional girlygirl. In this show, there's only one character interested in "fashion" and such, and even she's far from the typical girlygirl.

But enough of that.

--------------------------------------------

Episodes and Links
"Where can I see more of this wonderful and amazing show?"

Videos
For good quality:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MAST3RLINKX
Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgsXkmQ6ZI
Then he conveniently links every other episode in the descriptions.

For OK quality:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pensivepony
Quality isn't great, but this person always has new episodes uplaoded the day they air.

Episodes have recently been released on iTunes for download as well, for a price.

The first 2 episodes (they're a 2-parter) basically turn into Sailor Moon with ponies and are generally considered by the community to be the least entertaining. Though they do kind of introduce everybody in them. They're not awful, just not the best. But after that, episodes pick up more. I should really stress that the series should not be judged based on the first two. They can be skipped over pretty easy too, so start on 3 if you wish.

Actually, here's a quote from a guy I know that explains the first two pretty well.
For a lot of people, first impressions are important.

The first two were almost strictly 4kids and don't offer the general humor the others do.

A doctor, banker, or marketer will look at the first ep and walk on by. If they were to see any of the other shows they'd be like "Wtf am I watching?"

That's where you get hooked. The first two aren't bad, but they don't sell the series very well.

Links
Every pony link you'd ever need can be found here:
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/External_links

Most importantly though is the /co/ archive.

This is basically where the entire community exists. It's a pretty varied fanbase. There are a lot of cool people, but you do have the occasional few that feel like ruiners. The archive itself is safe, but considering it's an archive of a 4chan board, beware of possible NSFW content.

There are also frequently threads on /b/ as of late, but they're not archived and you can expect a lot of the usual /b/ bull****. If you can brave it however, /b/ sometimes has some good pony content.

--------------------------------------------

Still want to know a little more first?

Well then, shall we meet the cast?

Twilight Sparkle

Hidden Message Show

A unicorn pony who's awesome at doing various types of magic. Twilight is more or less the main character. She's an egghead who used to be constantly buried in books and believed her studies were more important than friends. This is why the evil dictator of Equestria, and Twilight's mentor, Princess Celestia sent her and her pet baby dragon, Spike, to Ponyville with the task of making friends and learning the magic of friendship. Sounds pretty gay, but really this is was all just a ruse to force Twilight to find the 5 other chosen ones to harness the elements of harmony which were used to destroy Celestia's evil twin with rainbows.

Also she evolves into Rapidash.

Pinkie Pie

Hidden Message Show

An earth pony who can pretty much be classified as a "toon." Popping into the screen from random angles, reacting to screen wipes, eye-bulging, floating off cliffs without falling, etcetc. She's extremely hyperactive and random and loves to party, often throwing random parties for no reason. She'll sing songs every once in awhile, which are quite catchy I might add. Pinkie can't be explained more than that. She's almost impossible to explain at all. You just have to see her for yourself to fully understand Pinkie. Except you'll never fully understand Pinkie.

Also her brain is full of f***.

Applejack

Hidden Message Show

A cowgirl earth pony that runs an apple farm with the rest of her family who also have apple themed names. She's dependable and very hard-working but also extremely stubborn. She also talks with an adorable southern accent. Probably the second most boyish character in the main cast, pushing away all things girly and often trying to prove that she's the most athletic and hard-working pony in Ponyville.

Also she's a silly pony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84PZbL_-jjU

Rarity

Hidden Message Show

A unicorn pony, and probably the girliest character on the show, but not to the point where she's annoying. She runs a dress shop where she custom makes dresses, but often overworks herself. She's one of those upper-class hoity toity fashion designers and comes with the attitude, constantly fretting over her appearance. The best part about Rarity though, is that she has the classic "stage drama" embedded in her personality, making a lot of what she says candy for your ears and even sings a parady of an old 1990's musical in an episode focused around her.

Also she has some sexy glasses.

Fluttershy

Hidden Message Show

A pegasus pony. The short description, your waifu. She's extremely shy and easily scared. She watches after cute little animals and seems to know a lot about them, but most notable is her pet bunny Angel. Angel is a badass mother ****er. Honestly though, that's pretty much all there is to Fluttershy. The thing about her that gets you is that she'll make you daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw every time she does anything.

Also she sings like Barry White.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PGKcikaGY

Rainbow Dash

Hidden MessageShow

The most bad*** pegasus pony in Ponyville and definitely the most boyish. She doesn't give two ****s about girly things. She's more focused on being "cool" and kinda has that "cool" personality making her kind of rude and obnoxious. She's basically the boy of the group. Her job is to help control the weather in Ponyville but her dream is to join "The Wonderbolts," a group of stunt flyers.

Also she's a lesbian.

Derpy Hooves

Hidden Message Show

...and then derpy died and invented corn flakes when philo dough spouted the big pillow gets a tasty pudding snack but she got better and then sky happened and peanut nostrils happy clams.

Also I realized inch worm.

Now go and learn the magic of friendship or whatever, everypony.

PS:
I made a group because I'm still a group *****.
http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=2499

tl;dr - Don't be skeptical and don't be a ***.
I will admit I was a super skeptic when I started watching this show, and it was not till episode five when I finally got hooked on it, but now I can not stop watching it. In my opinion it is a one of those shows that are really good, but you have to give it a chance or else you will be missing out.

Also Fan Website Link: http://www.equestriadaily.com/

finalark

SNORLAX
Eh, I thought the YGO manga was going to be a pile of mediocre lulz but ended up being freakin' amazing. I'll give it a chance.

When I'm the only one in the house.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I just watched the first several episodes. Good stuff! If I weren't busy tonight, I'd watch the rest now, but that must wait until another day.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, it sure has changed since back in my day. Is there a reason why all cartoons have the Panty & Stocking/Powerpuff Girls look to them?

Browny

Smash Hater
^ because the average age of people watching cartoons has risen dramatically, and gone are the times when people watched cartoons to enjoy them. Now they just do it to be part of a non-mainstream group and being 'in' on the latest memes, since that style of cartoon is most definitely not normal among older kids. Seems a bit like hipster behaviour imo.

I dont hate the show, I watched an ep and its fine. I hate the goddam meme-status which these sorts of shows attain and how people shove it down everyones throat, trying to make it seem like were the ones are arent 'cool' coz were not up-to-date with trends.

This will take the same path as PS+G, all the hype will die out just as quickly as it started soon enough.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Stop liking what I don't like.
God dammit Browny, I hate every time you post anything on this subject.

Let me explain to you why your post is bull****.

^ because the average age of people watching cartoons has risen dramatically, and gone are the times when people watched cartoons to enjoy them. Now they just do it to be part of a non-mainstream group and being 'in' on the latest memes, since that style of cartoon is most definitely not normal among older kids. Seems a bit like hipster behaviour imo.
Plenty of people watch this cartoon because it's actually enjoyable. I watch this cartoon because it's enjoyable. And I'm pretty sure most people won't watch a cartoon if they don't find it enjoyable. Implying nobody watches cartoons for enjoyment is downright stupid.

And I have no idea how liking something that's popular is hipster behaviour.

I dont hate the show, I watched an ep and its fine. I hate the goddam meme-status which these sorts of shows attain and how people shove it down everyones throat, trying to make it seem like were the ones are arent 'cool' coz were not up-to-date with trends.
Sounds more like you're hating this show for the attention it garners rather than the show itself. Similar to how people hate Twilight for it's popularity that seems unwarranted. Am I in the ballpark here?

Then you say this is all about "being cool." Personally, I don't give a **** if you don't watch this show. All I ask is that you give it a chance. (And you did, which I respect. You don't have to like it.) The reason this show may seem like it's "being shoved down people's throats" is because the title and the series' past brings initial skepticism with it, so it's obviously going to take a little coercing for people to give it a chance.

Any other "forcing down people's throats" is simply it being prevalent because it's popular.

This will take the same path as PS+G, all the hype will die out just as quickly as it started soon enough.
Panty and Stocking sucked and had a very short run in popularity. Already this has surpassed it in how long it has lasted and is still going strong. One benefit it has is that it also caters to an audience outside of the crowd you claim is trying to be "in."

tl;dr
Your resistance only makes my little pony harder.

Browny

Smash Hater
So why is it then that cartoons which were/are infinitely more popular (you know the usual suspects when it comes to anime) dont seem to have this very dedicated following which appeared in such a short space of time?

You cant deny the similarities between this show, and the latest internet meme.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's hard being a mod and trying to discourage that when you know how ****ing hilarious it'll be.

Friendship is magic!

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
So why is it then that cartoons which were/are infinitely more popular (you know the usual suspects when it comes to anime) dont seem to have this very dedicated following which appeared in such a short space of time?

Even if the meme can spread word of the show, it can not make people watch it. People who watch it because of the meme probably do not get past episode 2 and have a prejudge when watching the aforementioned show, you can tell because the comments for episodes beyond about 3 are really different in maturity (More mature as the episode number increases) than the comments for episode 1 and 2. Also one last thing, if you do not have anything nice to say do not say anything at all.

Edit: also

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
can the mods take the "w" out of browny's name please. it'd be awesome.

bronies forever

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
I remember the 1st time I was told to watch MLP: FiM.

I watched episode 1, then 2, then 3, and all the way till episode 9 in one sitting.

I wasn't planning on it, but I loved the show.
Now I await the new episode every week.

I wanted to get others to give the show a chance, so that's why I uploaded the episodes.

It seems to be working out pretty well.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If this erupts into a flame war about My Little Ponies, I may just die laughing.
Oh my god.

I think I may die laughing at the thought of a flame war about My Little Ponies.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
It's not so much that the Pony following is horribly dedicated, but the fact that they're a rather outspoken minority, which is often the case for niche shows or those that by nature appeal to a small audience. If you want an example of a "dedicated" following, just look at the sales for One Piece volume 61.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-02-09/one-piece-manga-volume-61-sells-2-million+in-3-days

As for MLP, the "hype" will die out within a month or two after the series finale assuming that there isn't any movie, second season, or merchandising announcement, but there will ALWAYS be a few stragglers who will continue to attempt discussing the series.

You could also compare it to a fad, or Guthix forbid, a show that is popular during its run.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
To clarify, my rage toward Browny's post was more at how it encompasses all cartoons, not just this one.

+some backburner hate caused by Browny getting on my nerves in the past.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I remember the 1st time I was told to watch MLP: FiM.

I watched episode 1, then 2, then 3, and all the way till episode 9 in one sitting.

I wasn't planning on it, but I loved the show.
Now I await the new episode every week.

I wanted to get others to give the show a chance, so that's why I uploaded the episodes.

It seems to be working out pretty well.
Thanks for the videos I see them from your youtube account, so I appreciate it.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Sigh I dislike double posting but I would like to comment that the newest episode was kind of good though not as good as the last one. Moral of the story do NOT mess with fluttershy.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
It was okay-tier.

It had good moments like
Twilight being dead, Sweetie Belle's song, Cutie Mark Crusader carpenters, arguing in the forest about chickens
but overall average especially after amazing ones like Sonic Rainboom and Suited for Success.

This is basically exactly what I said to Leaf yesterday.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
gay :glare:

Why are adults/people close to being an adult liking this? What are you, 8?
User blogs is full of cool people as always...

Try reading OP and giving the show a chance first maybe?

I guess if you enjoy my little pony you would think like a 9 year old.
Considering the majority of viewers are 20-30 year olds from 4chan, this actually kinda makes sense.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Same reason why people still play video games.

Entertainment.
Yeah but there is a difference between baby entertainment and (lol) adult entertainment.
I gave up playing with action figures and stuffed dinosaurs a long time ago. I, what do they call it?...........
moved
on.

:EDIT:
and yes, I did read the OP. It is nice to see a cartoon that is like the good ole classics. If I had little kids I would watch a few episodes to get an idea of what it is like and probably let them watch it. Here the thing though, why the hell are adults seeking out My Little Pony episodes to entertain themselves?

justn1986

Smash Rookie
Would you say that someone who enjoyed shows like The Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy would enjoy this show?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
and yes, I did read the OP. It is nice to see a cartoon that is like the good ole classics. If I had little kids I would watch a few episodes to get an idea of what it is like and probably let them watch it. Here the thing though, why the hell are adults seeking out My Little Pony episodes to entertain themselves?
Cartoons don't have to be just for kids. This show also has a lot of references that only an older audience would get.

Examples: Benny Hill bit, reference to a 1990's musical, a Pepe le Pew skit, a Rocky montage.

In one episode about a sleepover there's a book, "Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Sleepovers (but Were Afraid to Ask)" which is a play on the book "Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)"

Rainbow Dash implies she's going to get double teamed by two stallions from the Wonderbolts.

Would you say that someone who enjoyed shows like The Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy would enjoy this show?
Probably. As I said in the OP, it's more akin to older cartoons like that rather than the newer (awful) **** they seem to put out lately. But imo, it's waaaaaaay better than Billy and Mandy was.

The reason this show is popular is because it's the first instance of a good western cartoon we've seen in AGES.

john!

Smash Hero
That's a funny way to spell Rainbow Dash.

(Eww, I just did a Pinkie Pie thing...)
rainbow dash brings a lot to the team, and is probably the one that i can relate to most. but her character lacks depth, and besides, shutterfly can fly as well and has other talents too. she may well be a better flyer but simply doesn't show off as much. it would be consistent with her personality.

tl;dr fluttershy is the **** and you can't deny it. noobicidal knows what's up.

oh god my mind is infected what have i become

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like every pony.

I can't pick a favorite, and I probably never will be able to.

Derpy Hooves

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Just from reading the OP I can already tell I'm going to like this...oh gawd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom