• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 controller - any new breakthroughs?

randomguy737

Smash Rookie
Blaze has it right, it's more of an open-source kinda thing.

If you check in the hardware folder, you'll see he has pdf's of the hardware as well as schematics.
http://svn.navi.cx/misc/trunk/wasabi/devices/cube64/hardware/

The normal version uses a 5V wall adapter for rumble while the mini uses a small chip to step up the 3.3V line.

If you can program AVR's and solder, you can assemble one. Or you could also get someone to make one for you. ;)

blaze3927

Smash Ace
wrong thread, and if you want to have a n64 controller collection you should at least have an actual rare controller. banana bunch/power 100/millenium 2000/lion mack for example

blaze3927

Smash Ace
should we have a section in the sticky/or own sticky regarding n64 controller stuff.
like different controllers/analog sticks/hori pads etc.?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I guess I posted pictures of my official N64 controllers because in my humble opinion they’re the best instrument for playing the original Smash Bros. with.

In terms of new developments, it’s hard to improve on an interface that’s already just about perfect. I understand why someone would want to mod a worn out N64 controller but the honest truth is that it’s hard to improve on the original design.

Lately I’ve been playing Super Smash Bros. mostly on my Wii via the Virtual Console so my controller of choice is actually the more reliable GameCube controller. So if anyone is interested I can post pictures of my Japanese white GameCube controller or any or all of my 4 Wavebirds. :)

blaze3927

Smash Ace
I guess I posted pictures of my official N64 controllers because in my humble opinion they’re the best instrument for playing the original Smash Bros. with.

In terms of new developments, it’s hard to improve on an interface that’s already just about perfect. I understand why someone would want to mod a worn out N64 controller but the honest truth is that it’s hard to improve on the original design.

Lately I’ve been playing Super Smash Bros. mostly on my Wii via the Virtual Console so my controller of choice is actually the more reliable GameCube controller. So if anyone is interested I can post pictures of my Japanese white GameCube controller or any or all of my 4 Wavebirds. :)
you got me,

TheRealColtMaster

Smash Apprentice
I have tried playing with one of the game cube rigged joysticks in the n64 controller and it had alot of trouble registering my dair's and other move. i returned it.

I am fortunate enough right now to know where to get like-new controllers at a shop down the street. so i haven't had the joystick problem in awhile but if i did right now. i did have a good idea that MIGHT just work.

I have tried a generic controller for the n64 and the buttons suck but the stick felt nice and springy. has anyone tried putting one of those joysticks in an original n64 controller. if it works then all u would have to do is buy another easy-to-find generic controller and replace it when the time comes. :)

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Not as easy since 3rd party controllers and N64 controllers use different ways to detect movement, so they're not directly interchangeable. You could convert the signals using a microchip, but that's more hassle than it's worth.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Just to get back on topic; is it really financially feasible to mod an N64 controller using the methods mentioned previously in this thread? I ask because I just ordered some “new” third party sticks which ended up costing just $7.60 a piece with shipping.

I’ve heard that these third party sticks don’t work properly when playing Smash on a PC. Is that true? I’ve also heard that they work just fine with the actual N64 console and are in some ways superior to the original Nintendo manufactured units as they feel more “GameCube-like”.

I’ve also heard that the third party units are stiffer than the original N64 stick which in my opinion is probably a good thing although I wonder how long that will last.

Maybe we can cannibalize parts from the third party replacement to rebuild/restore the original factory control stick assembly. Anybody try that yet?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Just to get back on topic; is it really financially feasible to mod an N64 controller using the methods mentioned previously in this thread? I ask because I just ordered some “new” third party sticks which ended up costing just $7.60 a piece with shipping.

I’ve heard that these third party sticks don’t work properly when playing Smash on a PC. Is that true? I’ve also heard that they work just fine with the actual N64 console and are in some ways superior to the original Nintendo manufactured units as they feel more “GameCube-like”.

I’ve also heard that the third party units are stiffer than the original N64 stick which in my opinion is probably a good thing although I wonder how long that will last.

Maybe we can cannibalize parts from the third party replacement to rebuild/restore the original factory control stick assembly. Anybody try that yet?

original factory assembly is not interchnageable with any third party controllers without the use of a microchip.
most people who buy a third party with a tight potentiometer version of the n64 stick swap them out with a gamecube like stick because a lot of people know/think there better.
any modification done to an offical n64 controllers analog will work on pc if it works on n64 console, third party controllers just dont work on most usb adapters, hell even the official horipad doesnt work on usb adapters.
the gamecube style ones labelled as new n64 repalcements have mixed reviews, some say good, more say bad. one of the problem is i think there using the same abs compound that was in the original n64 analog, meaning eventually the guide will just break down like the old ones.
personally i like my gc analog in my n64 controller, a little bit of hassle, but precision every time

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
So I received and installed my new third-party thumbstick and I gotta admit I’m impressed. Contrary to the common sentiment on the Interweb that the new sticks are “GameCube-like” I honestly believe they feel more like the analog stick of the Sega Dreamcast controller.

As the picture shows the new thumbstick sits lower and closer to the face of the N64 controller which gives slightly less leverage. Nonetheless I got used to the new thumbstick quickly and was pulling off mini turbos in Mario Kart 64 with ease. Super Smash Bros. also played perfectly once I got accustomed to the sticks lower profile. I played everything from F-Zero X to Turok Rage Wars with my refurbished controller and I noticed that it was much more accurate than it was before when it had the original limp stick.

Here’s a picture which shows the controller I put the replacement thumbstick in along with the original stick for comparison.

I guess the only question now is how long will these replacements, which are manufactured in Taiwan, last.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Is the range the same as a usual N64 controller?

I played some GameCube a few months ago and one of the things that threw me off was a smaller joystick range.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
i bought a few of those, they don't give a good feel to the controller. its a huge deadzone in the center.

On another note, I got a hori Mini Pad, that stick is legit, and its all I am using lately.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Is the range the same as a usual N64 controller?

I played some GameCube a few months ago and one of the things that threw me off was a smaller joystick range.
My initial impression is that the radius of the new stick is somewhat tighter which would probably take a little getting used to if you're coming from a really worn out original.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I've heard/read so many feedbacks about the various controllers that I got to the conclusion that I'll have to try it myself to find the one that fits my likes.

But paying for each one of those, doesn't seem like a smart choice.
Will try to make some statistics about it to find out.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
i bought a few of those, they don't give a good feel to the controller. its a huge deadzone in the center.

On another note, I got a hori Mini Pad, that stick is legit, and its all I am using lately.
I’ve installed these new thumbsticks in two different controllers and haven’t noticed a deadzone on either. If anything these new replacement thumbsticks almost feel too accurate.

Sure they’re not going to make your old N64 controller feel like a Hori Mini Pad but they’re not going to cost you upwards of sixty bucks either. I got my new replacements sticks for just $7.60 a piece shipped.

toazron1

Smash Rookie
I've been researching a little bit on replacement options for the n64 (bros every weekend = worn out controllers)

Grizzmeister, where did you order yours from? We ordered some third party ones and, while they did work in the control, smash bros was unplayable because you couldn't smash with them.

Do you have the same problem?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I've been researching a little bit on replacement options for the n64 (bros every weekend = worn out controllers)

Grizzmeister, where did you order yours from? We ordered some third party ones and, while they did work in the control, smash bros was unplayable because you couldn't smash with them.

Do you have the same problem?
I ordered 5 of the new N64 controller replacement sticks that say “made in Taiwan” on the back of the module from a seller I found on Amazon; he’s based out of New Jersey and charged me seven dollars a piece plus three dollars shipping. If you’re interested I can PM you his contact info.

Yeah I think the timing on the smash attacks is a little different than it is with a factory original stick. I haven’t had any problems performing Donkey Kong’s up smash but I’ve heard a few other people make the same observation as you, toazron1. You have to keep in mind, however, that I’m just a casual SSB player so I’m probably not the best person to ask about exact timing of move sets. All I know is that DK’s hands slap together over his head when I want to attack an opponent on a ledge above me and Mario’s big fist comes out when I perform a forward smash. Other than that I’m probably not very qualified to address the issue but I feel confident saying that the new 3rd party sticks are superior to a worn out original any day of the week.

Gruelius

Smash Rookie
with the made in taiwan GC stick for 64 controllers i am getting my *** kicked, cant even smash, usually end up just punching air... gotta slow down and make sure i move first before hitting anything...

going to buy a hori...

blaze3927

Smash Ace
My babies

The black one is my favourite, its makes fastfalss uairs consistent, hoever the yellow one is amazing for di.
if i wasnt working full time i'd make more to sell.

It's a shame to here about the taiwan's GC like n64 stick being rather shoddy. they would have been an amazing solution.

Gruelius

Smash Rookie
dont get me wrong. it doesnt feel shoddy, feels sick quality and im sure for games like goldeneye it would be quite good but for smash its no good.

are you 64 controllers custom jobs? or did u get a different batch of gc like 64 sticks

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
dont get me wrong. it doesnt feel shoddy, feels sick quality and im sure for games like goldeneye it would be quite good but for smash its no good.

are you 64 controllers custom jobs? or did u get a different batch of gc like 64 sticks
Yeah the new third-party thumbsticks are great for other N64 games but after more playtime I've noticed that they don't allow you to consistently pull off smash attacks.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I think he did them himself.

I've played with his yellow one, it's amazingly smooth compared to the almost static stick of the 64 controller, and there is no issue whatsoever with any techskill. This is coming from a keyboard player.

Gruelius

Smash Rookie
asianaussie theres a smash tourney in melb in like a week which is what i wanna get a good controller ready for lol i ordered a new lookalike 3rd party og 64 controller (the stick in the photo looked like the 64 type.)

failing that ill just get a hori minipad

Gruelius

Smash Rookie
whats desirees?

from reading this site i see theres alot of stuff about online play.. gave me some hope that i might be able to school some players if we had a console not a keyboard :p

Battlecow

Play to Win
You can get an adapter and play online with your n64 controllers.

Desiree's is the main aussie server, but stick to console. There ain't nobody worth schooling on that godforsaken kangaroo prison.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'm the only keyboard player (aside from maybe Dark but he's not on SWF). Everyone else plays console and is even or better than me even when I am using keyboard.

Battlecow is a bad player.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
James did indeed make both of those himself. I personally prefer the original stick, his are way too sensitive for my liking. Actually it's weird, I prefer a slightly loose joystick the most. Gives more of a buffer zone when performing some moves.

Top Bottom