• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness discussion

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
The final hit of Ness' jab combo has too much end lag to properly combo at any percent iirc. A surprise jab can occasionally lead into an easy hit if they're not expecting it but at high level play I don't think it's suitable tactic.

Peek~

Smash Lord
The final hit of Ness' jab combo has too much end lag to properly combo at any percent iirc. A surprise jab can occasionally lead into an easy hit if they're not expecting it but at high level play I don't think it's suitable tactic.
I think hes talking about the knockback on the 3rd hit, at low-mid%s it forces them to tech the hit while being pretty close to Ness. So you can just follow up with an attack or chase with a grab

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
peek (or anyone), can you just explain the djc fair chains to me? I have been trying so hard to learn them, but for some reason I can never link more than 2, or even connect the dair correctly...its pissing me off

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
LOL so predictable

Ness is so hated by the community its so funny, just because most suck using him
Just watch japanese nesses to learn how ness is played

*prepares flame shield*
Japanese ness is much better than US ness. Up b has more invincibility frames. d-air is better, Ness's smashes get much more power. But there is one move that makes him...really annoying in the japanese version.

Up air priority/damage is STUPID compared to the US version.

This was tested vs a Jigglypuff in training mode. It kills a Jigglypuff at the center of Hyrule:
95 in US version.
SIXTY FIVE in Japanese version.

I don't think Ness is a useless character in the US version. I mean, if he was he'd be below Link.

Peek~

Smash Lord
peek (or anyone), can you just explain the djc fair chains to me? I have been trying so hard to learn them, but for some reason I can never link more than 2, or even connect the dair correctly...its pissing me off
Yeah I am not a big supporter of Fair chains. I love being flashy but Fair 0-death combos are not my mug of chicken soup

Just keep practicing and listen to ballin (:

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
@th3kuzinator: the biggest thing that kept me from doing DJC combos was finding how to reliably press the buttons fast enough..... idk if its your problem too, but I learned how to slide my fingers across the controller at the right timing to accomplish shield breakers.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I dont know if this makes sense to anyone but, the issue i had with DJC was i would slide way to fast so it never came out properly.

Once i slowed down and found more "rhythmic" sliding action i was able to do DJCs far closer to the ground and faster (Isuppose they go hand in hand but owell)

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
the only thing i know about ness is that saske is really good at fighting him i mean he made a video guide that must mean he is the most knowledgeable of players....

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Ness sucks for 0 to death combos:

floaties:
Uair x 1-samus, mario, weegi to fair's to spike. HARD and the fair is so **** that if you mistime it your stuffed.
straight fairs to spike: jiggs, and only if your super quick samus.
nairs are generally not worth your time unless its jiggs, starting with an nair with jiggs tosses him up a littlbe bit higher for a fair chain to spike.

imo this is the best method of comboing floaties, but its impractical even if your well practised in it. small amounts of di on the fair/uair will stuff it up. And good luck getting an approach son.

^^sucks because this wont work on hyrule. and even then most levels will still bring problems. also going from fair to spike in a fair chain is hard.

heavies:
nair/fair to spike at around 20-40%. thats it., unless you happen to be close enough to the edge to do usmash to spike or utilt to spike etc.

heres some ness combo's on heavies. http://www.youtube.com/blaze3927

note how basic they are, they dont get any further with that on heavies unless your using Tas or a wall.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I laughed at the PK thunder one :p

The more basic the 0-death the better.

Less complexity = less room for error and less opponent variables (DI, Platforms, etc)

Nair Chains are not for TAS only.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
wtf you forgot the utilt utilt utilt > reversed nair > spike that works on every stage...

firo

Smash Ace
Ness may not be the best true comboer, but his ability to tech chase is unmatched to the point where a lot of the tech chases can leave the opponent with no options if done perfectly, especially paired with DJC and reverse DJC boosting (even more so on platforms).

Nairs are good against a lot of characters, combos like nair x2 to spike works on lighter characters like pikachu. Fair chains are cool but DIing up usually gets opponents out real quick. Practicing them in training mode can help, but remember that you should start with an uair or so and make sure that the opponent hits the very back of the hitbox when you are near the ledge to get the spike off. Even working in bairs that send the opponent forward can be worked into combos and don't send the opponent too far, but that's mega-hard.

Comboing into grab is also an option and is not seen too often as a finisher, but it works.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
^^tech chases do make ness look broken/top tier in some cases,
especially on dreamlands platforms where if you get one dair there pretty much stuffed, it seems these are very underused by ness players

blaze3927

Smash Ace
wtf you forgot the utilt utilt utilt > reversed nair > spike that works on every stage...
wtf you forgot to post something not pointless
--->
woops we forgot to look at alancitu's ness combos, he has the best ones of U version for sure.
he was l33t at hitting the weak fairs/nairs

Peek~

Smash Lord
Can anyone using an n64 controller tell me their exact joystick motions they do when DJC Dair across a stage?

firo

Smash Ace
bottom c button (2x) > dair (down a, z-cancelled) > bottom c button (2x) > dair (down a, z-cancelled), repeat.
Instead of using the bottom c button twice, try tilting your thumb downward so that you can hit c-right, c-down and a in one motion. That'll make djc a lot easier and quicker (also no need to cancel the dair).

For stick movements (lets say you are heading right) it would be hold right > down > reset stick > hold right > down etc. You momentum from the DJC will keep you moving right during the move.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Ty

I was thinking about changing my DJC style but I decided to just continue like this

Might to experiment more with deadzone

Olikus

Smash Champion
Not to much pressure on the N64 joystick lads. Just a tip from a man who need to buy new ones.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I've just picked up Ness, and am having problems with my approach. I've read to approach with d-air and b-air, but i feel like every time i get in close enough to use them i just get punished. is the idea just to space until an opening shows up, or is it good to have a more aggressive approach?

Peek~

Smash Lord
I finally stopped my bad habit of dropping when recovering

I found the best method for me so far is recovering horizontally with the stage

Those saying from above, play boom more

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I finally stopped my bad habit of dropping when recovering

I found the best method for me so far is recovering horizontally with the stage

Those saying from above, play boom more
that was actually a discussion point on your channel, not this forum page. What you were doing was fast falling after every edge guard, and trying to recover from bellow the stage after every hit. Making you predicable and repeating the habit.

Above/bellow/horizontal..... all of them can be the right or wrong answer, the advice was more directed at the extreme opposite choice to get you to mix up your patterns.

I actually like to be horizontal, but then aim down, and then get that little tinny boost up to correct it back to the ledge.

Peek~

Smash Lord
that was actually a discussion point on your channel, not this forum page. What you were doing was fast falling after every edge guard, and trying to recover from bellow the stage after every hit. Making you predicable and repeating the habit.

Above/bellow/horizontal..... all of them can be the right or wrong answer, the advice was more directed at the extreme opposite choice to get you to mix up your patterns.

I actually like to be horizontal, but then aim down, and then get that little tinny boost up to correct it back to the ledge.
Ah I knew that discussion was somewhere.

Posting while playing >.>

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
Ah I knew that discussion was somewhere.

Posting while playing >.>
glad to hear the break through on your ness game was that important.

Have you every practiced PK Thunder in training with close-up mode on? if you do that, you get the timing down for the angle without seeing it anymore. Some people just think its stupid to use training mode, but for PK thunder training, its totally worth it. And it feels really good to try and drift as far as possible away, then come back. See the full range without any pressure to it.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Some of the things I practice

Recovering while you are in that offstage bubble/coming out of that bubble
Horizontal recovering
Edgehog + Projectile edgeguarding

But I will try that too Blade

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
OHHHHHHH. Yeah, Same purpose as close up. Just anything that blinds a person from seeing the thunder makes them rely on the timing.

I love the fact that its the point of contact, not the angle of the pk thunder that creates your trajectory. very big difference to the use of the attack once you realize that. Some people confuse that, timing solves that mistake quickly. Strait up shots become pretty easy.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
you call it a bubble?

its a magnifying glass (or at least I thought that was the correct term used)

Also, peek, your avatar is staring into my soul.

Top Bottom