• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness' Matchups

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You have to have the hitbox out already by the time they're going up.

Ness' Matchups:

Advantage against Ness
Jiggs, Marth, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Shiek.

Neutral:
Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf, Samus

Disadvantage against Ness:
Yoshi, Mewtwo, Pikachu, Pichu, Zelda, Roy, Bowser

I still think Kirby should be lower in the list.

Character Strategies:

VS. Marth - Lots of Marths will stay just outside your SH F-air/DJC F-air range and try to dash dance you for a grab. If you can predict they're going to try this, dash attack where you would normally F-air. (It's really hard to dash out of range of the dash attack. ) You'll catch them and pop them up for a DJC U-air (extremely low %'s) or an easy fulljump F-air, DJC U-air. Careful though, because the counter to this is simply shielding.
~from Reik

He isn't as easy to dtilt as cf and dorf since he can tech. What you can do is knock him off the stage and bair them into it. Though bair is easier to tech, the tech timing on a sweetspotted bair and a nonsweetspotted bair are very very different, messing up their timing.
~from Simna ibn Sind

I usually try to play edgehog-or-not-edgehog mindgames. If I you get him to Up+B early, it's a free bat or B-air.
~from Reik

VS. Samus - Camp vs. Samus...it helps(and pk fire is good here too...use it on her bombs)...also if Samus is at middle%s and up(60+) and you knock her straight up into the air.....spend some time jugglign her with PK Thunder...she will have a hard time escaping....not as hard as LUIGI, but still a hard time. Just watch out for her bomb jumps.
~from Simna ibn Sind

Pk Fire outprioritizes Samus' full charge shots
~ from indie_dave

Vs. Ice Climbers - Not only can u PK Fire at ICs but you can also start the fire on their ICE.
~from Simna ibn Sind

Vs. Link - you can fair Link's bombs
~ from indie_dave

Vs. Captain Falcon - I think CF has a slight advantage on larger stages like FD (yes, even though it's easier to combo him there), normal Stadium, and DL64 while Ness has a slight advantage on the smaller ones (Battlefield, FoD). His recovery is just perfect for D-tilt edgeguarding when he's coming from below. (I started using this because Cape techs EVERYTHING, and you can't tech D-tilt. ) After a few D-tilts people get impatient and stop trying to sweetspot. Wait until he is too high to tech and send him on his way.
~from Reik

Vs. Ganon - He does better on the smaller stages, but I wouldn't give him the advantage on any. Maybe YS. Maybe. It's really easy to combo Ganon into F-smash from DJC F-air. His recovery is just perfect for D-tilt edgeguarding when he's coming from below. (I started using this because Cape techs EVERYTHING, and you can't tech D-tilt.) After a few D-tilts people get impatient and stop trying to sweetspot. Wait until he is too high to tech and send him on his way.
~from Reik

Vs. Fox - He isn't as easy to dtilt as cf and dorf since he can tech. What you can do is knock him off the stage and bair them into it. Though bair is easier to tech, the tech timing on a sweetspotted bair and a nonsweetspotted bair are very very different, messing up their timing.
~from Simna ibn Sind

Vs. Docter Mario- I usually try to play edgehog-or-not-edgehog mindgames. If I you get him to Up+B early, it's a free bat or B-air.
~from Reik

Reik

Smash Ace
I think it would be better to have no list at all than a grossly inaccurate one. We should keep this thread focused on character-specific strategies instead.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm not an expert on Ness. All I'm trying to do is put together what everyone says on one easy to read page. If you want me to take down the list I will, but I won't until more people ask me to. If you disagree with whats on the list then say it. I have only put characters on that people mentioned. I already put my 2 cents in the previous post.

If you haven't noticed, I'm still trying to update the list with what everyone has said. I also prefer the character specific strategies instead of a list, but it helps people choose whether they should use Ness before a match.

Reik

Smash Ace
I didn't mean to insult your work. It's noble of you to try to compile everyone's thoughts on these things. I just think that trying to create an advantage/disadvantage matchups list from all the varying opinions on the Ness boards isn't worth the effort.

If you want to do both, fine. Knock yourself out. :p

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Sorry if I sounded insulted. If you want to dispute the list I gave, please feel free to. It might help more people learn about Ness, and then more people will choose him. I only know of a couple of pros that use him, that's why, in my opinion, he is so low in the tier list.

Reik

Smash Ace
If you want to dispute the list I gave, please feel free to.
K.

(No particular order within categories)

Strong Disadvantage
Sheik
Fox

Disadvantage
Falco
Peach
Samus
Jigglypuff
Marth
Doc
Mario

Mostly Even
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Luigi
Game & Watch
Pikachu
Link
Young Link

Advantage
Ganon
DK
Bowser
Kirby
Yoshi
Roy

Some of these were really borderline. I haven't made up my mind on Pichu, Mewtwo, and Zelda yet.

If anyone has any questions, just ask and I'll try to explain myself.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Nice list Reik.

I think an experienced/knowledgeable player should have made a matchup thread (like Reik or Mow).

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Kirby shouldn't be too hard for Ness. He is even to me. his aerials have less range than Ness, and Ness is much faster. You can use your fair really well on him. You can dthrow combo kirby pretty well.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
In a Tournament set of 9, this is currently what my Character Match-Up Chart suggests for Ness' match-ups (from worst to best):

Falco
→ →
1-5
JPuff
→ →
1-5
Sheik
→ →
2-5
Fox
→ → →
3-5
Marth
→ →
3-5
Peach
→ →
3-5
Falcon
3-5
ICs
→ → →
4-5
Samus
→ →
4-5
Ganon
→ →
4-5
Doc
→ → →
even
Mario
→ →
even
Pikachu
even
Yoshi
→ →
even
Zelda
→ →
even
G&W
→ → →
even
Luigi
→ →
5-4
Kirby
→ →
5-4
Link
→ →
5-3
YLink
→ →
5-3
Bowser
5-3
Mewtwo
5-3
Pichu
→ →
5-2
DK
→ → →
5-1
Roy
→ → →
5-1

A lot of these I got from reading this thread, but if anyone feels any of these could be improved, point out which and what changes should be made and why, and we can get the Ness match-ups more accurate in the chart.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
phanna plays ness? :D:D:D:D:D
I don't think he does. That chart he made consisted of the opinions of other players as well as himself.

BTW thanks Phanna and Reik for your lists. I'll try to make a new list later today. Thanks to anyone who contributed.

Edit: Here's the list I made. I based it off of Reik and Phanna's list as well as the people who posted here. If you disagree with it please discuss.

Strong Disadvantage

Sheik
Fox
Falco
Jigglypuff

Disadvantage

Peach
Marth
Samus

Even

Doctor Mario
Mario
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Pikachu

Slight Advantage

Luigi
Ganondorf
Pichu
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Link
Young Link

Advantage

Roy
DK
Bowser
Kirby
Yoshi

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Very Hard

Shiek
Jigglypuff

Hard
Peach
Marth
Luigi
Ice Climbers

Medium

Mario
Dr. Mario
Fox
Falco
Mr. Game & Watch
Samus

Easy

Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Zelda
Link
Young Link
Yoshi

Very Easy
Roy
Pichu
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Bowser

Mine is right beuase it looks the s3xiest.
Naw, but really, this is what I think. Mine has changed drastically sincethe last one I made. If you really dont get mine, just ask about a character. Also, the order of characters in each tier is irrelevant.

EDIT: I am sooooooooooooooooooo gay.:cool:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Luigi's aerials are very powerful, so hitting him in the air isn't as easy as say Mario. He is also prety fast on the ground with his effin long WD and IMO, Ness' speedcant compare. Luigi can juggle Ness well, and Ness really cant in return due to Luigi's floatiness. Also, some other aerial combos dont work on him, and DjC fairs can pop Luigi high enough for him to actually fair you sometimes.

Mr G&W's aerials are all disjointed hitboxes. They have good range and I think either the turtle or cement block outranges Ness' fair. His dair's priority and range makes him hard to juggle, and I find his recovery kind of hard to intercept.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Strong Disadvantage

Sheik

Disadvantage

Fox
Doctor Mario

Even

Falco
Peach
Marth
Jigglypuff
Samus
Mario
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Pikachu

Slight Advantage

Luigi
Ganondorf
Zelda
Pichu
Link
Young Link
Mr. Game and Watch

Advantage

DK
Kirby
Roy
Bowser
Yoshi

As you can see i'm clearly a Ness zealot with clouded judgement^_^ of course...come SYYG...the list will look like this:

Advantage

Fox
Doctor Mario
Falco
Peach
Marth
Jigglypuff
Samus
Mario
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Luigi
Ganondorf
Zelda
Pichu
Link
Young Link
Mr. Game and Watch
DK
Kirby
Roy
Bowser
Yoshi
Sheik
^_^

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Hmm, I like Simna's list. But there's something people should take note of. With these lists, Ness seems like he's a hightier/midtier character. Then again, you'd have to side aside the fact that Ness players have done poorly in tournaments (something the tier list mainly revolves around). This actually goes for most Low Tier characters like Link (Link's main probably is simply Sheik/Fox/Falco and those 3 are the most played tourney characters).

I wanna start using Ness against Falco players >.>

I'm very confused with Ness being even with Marth....Marth totally out ranges him.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, I guess we can all agree that Ness stands no chance against any Shiek :ohwell:
Marth even confuses me as well.

Did I say that?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Very Hard

Shiek
Jigglypuff
Marth

Hard

Peach
Ice Climbers
Fox
Falco
Samus

Medium

Luigi
Mario
Dr. Mario
Mr. Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Zelda

Easy

Pikachu
Link
Young Link
Yoshi

Very Easy
Roy
Pichu
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Bowser

IMO, in no particular order within the tiers...

indie_dave

Smash Ace
falcos spike me sooooo much :grr:

i think i would agree with eb360's analysis re: luigi and g&w in particular, and anybody with high priority in the air generally. but i'm just about the only ness, luigi and g&w player within the group i play plus i've only started smashing this past semester, so don't weight my words like you would simna's et al... ^_^

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Don't forget about those character strategies too! Those are more important IMO. I'll update my list with everyone's suggestions tommorow. Thanks everybody for helping out.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'd bump Link up to even or even slight disadvantage. His grab game on you is attrocious, but it's hard for Ness to keep pressure, which is the key to beating Links. He also basically just has more weight, a similar combo game, more prioity, and better projectiles. If you get him off the stage though, you can tailwhip him to death pretty solidly, and you may be able to stage-spike his up-B with thunder as well.

Edit - I'd also give Doc a bump down. Mario is fine, however, Doc has difficulty approaching Ness through the F-air, because it owns pills, and Ness has an easy time edgeguarding Doc between PK Flash, the B-air, the bat, and edgehogging. The thing is Doc's range is godawful short, so he has to stand a few inches closer to Ness in order to make good on his approaches, and this opens up a huge variety of options for Ness. he can also be jabbed out of almost all of his moves. Plus, he basically has to open up with a forward air to get the kill, because downsmash and back air don't cut it until very high percents, while Ness can score low percent kills on him fairly often. And Ness's fair straight ***** Doc's air game, gg.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I agree with eveything Tech said about Doc.
But I just find Link easy. I dont think I could explain.

BZZL

Smash Apprentice
Actually I'd have to say that Ness has an advantage over Falco. With the exception of being Dair'd out of the UpB recovery, Ness has got it down. His shorthop Fair and Bair have huge potential.

Also, I've had good experience suggest that Ness's Bair screws up Falcon pretty good.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah, I dont think Falco-Ness is hard. Falco is one of the only characters Ness can chaingrab well. He can combo him well with uairs, fairs, and utilts. You can finish combos easily with nair and bair. Starting them with dairs and uthrows. Edgeguarding Falco is so dameasy. You have so many options, there's no need to explain. SHL can be avioded just by jumping over them, and since Ness has a unique double jump, swing jumping over them proves effective. Ness' aerials> Falco's.

I find things similar to Fox. Added shine combos are hard for Fox to pull off since Ness flies the second or third farthest from a shine. Edgeguarding is diferent though.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
This is my new list. There is no particular order within the tiers, but I'll put it in some order in a week or so.

Ness' Matchups:

Strong Disadvantage

Sheik
Fox
Falco
Jigglypuff

Disadvantage

Peach
Marth
Samus
Luigi

Even

Mario
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Link

Slight Advantage

Ganondorf
Pichu
Zelda
Young Link
Doctor Mario

Advantage

Roy
DK
Bowser
Kirby
Yoshi

Changes: I lowered doc becauser of what eb360 and technomancer said. I also bumped Link up to even becauses of what technomancer said and that his air game has the potential to **** Ness. I also raised Luigi and g&w.

I didn't lower fox and falco because nearly every character in the game can chaingrab them/easily spike them. I'm sure that most good foxes and falcos have strategies against this.

I think that Ness has a slight advantage over the Ice Climbers since it's so easy for him to seperate them and isn't his airgame better?

BTW Don't forget those character strategies! Those are important too! Don't just say the lists. Try to argue your point about character placements you think I should change. It makes it easier for me to see your point of view.

Ness_Superfair

Smash Rookie
agreed

I totally agree with most of your choices, me a friend and my brother always play and I always destroy my brother (ganon), but have difficulties with my friend whos pretty decent (falco). Yes, now I can blame losing on this chart thanks man!

also I have a hard time with peach for some reason...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm not considering simna's list (no offence simna) since he obviously states his personal bias towards Ness. Saying that Marth and Peach run even with Ness isn't believable to most people. It might be how simna views his own personal difficulties, but not of the overall community. Since he is the one of best Ness players, doesn't mean he has to have complete authority over Ness.

In fact it worries me that he has stayed in the top ranks for so long, indicating that Ness players aren't being imaginative/unique in their tactics, and that Ness is a stagnant character. Like I said before, if more pros played him and mastered him then he would be top teir. Their are still many strategies using Ness that we will never know. The only two things Ness players care about now are the yyg and PKT which are important, but we all should try to master our own unique strategies.

I know I'm new to the smash competitive scene but this doesn't only hold true to smash, it works with many other video games as well as real life competitive sports.

Reik

Smash Ace
Ness is top tier
in low tier tournaments.

thesage said:
The only two things Ness players care about now are the yyg and PKT
Keep in mind that the majority of the people who post on the Ness boards are fairly new to Ness.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Personally I like your list sage, although i'd change a couple things. I would move marth up to strong disadvantage, and move falco down to just normal disadvantage. I'd also move samus down to even, and move ic's up to disadvantage. Thats just me tho :)

gtfo

Smash Apprentice
... i may be mistaken... but dosnt ness's FAIR cancel out all, if not almost all of gannons moves. So shouldnt gannon be at the bottom of the list.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Range wise, fair will cancl out Ganons aerials, but once you get in range, his nair and uair can outprioritize Ness' fair. And just because he canoutrange with aerials doesn't mean he is automatically easy. As for the Wizkick I dunno.

I also agree with almost everything AL said.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The new list:

Strong Disadvantage

Sheik
Fox
Jigglypuff
Marth

Disadvantage

Falco
Peach
Luigi

Even

Ice Climbers
Mario
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game and Watch
Pikachu
Link
Samus

Slight Advantage

Ganondorf
Pichu
Zelda
Young Link
Doctor Mario

Advantage

Roy
DK
Bowser
Kirby
Yoshi

I changed everything to agree with what angrylobster said, except for the ics. IMO there is just so much Ness can do to mess them up, pk fire, they don't work well in the air, and so many more things.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but please don't forget those character strategies. I know they are in Nessbounder's guide, but he doesn't exactly go over the advanced techs and how to counteract them.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I still think Fox is too high. Here is a character strategy since you want one so bad :p

For Fox, you can start a combo on him at low % best with an uthrow. Uthrow to DCed uair or fair if they DI. If they dont, follow up with any aerial necessary. You can land uthrows by DjCing fair or dair.If they dont DI, hitting with the last spark in the dash attack can also lead to a grab, or any fast attack. Fox is just about the easiest character to juggle with DjCed uairs and utilts. After almost any combo that leaves Fox near you, you can end with a DjCed nair in place.

For edgeguarding, if Fox is above you, any aerial should just about stop him. This may force him to recover while level to the stage. When he does, you can use the dtilt to stop him right at the edge, or a yo-yo. If you release the yo-yo as he touches it, you will pull him up for an ftilt. If you keep charging it, it will have the same effect as a dtilt. After Fox drops below the edge, you can easily hit him with any edgeguarding aeial.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Okay I'll lower fox. Thanks for the strategy!

BTW I reordered the list so the order in tiers does mattter. I know there isn't much difference in the tiers, but anything helps.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Earthbound, you seem to forget that almost every character in the game finds Fox easy to juggle and have good edgeguarding strats against him. Fox too has great combos on Ness and Ness if fairly too easy to edgeguard (unless you are a master with the PK Thunder strats).

Fox should stay were he is. I'm just surprised about Link and Y. Link. Link can outspace Ness's moves using his sword's range and priority and has a pretty solid combo game against Ness. He can also use his projectiles to control the spacing between him and Ness (Ness isn't exactly a great character to deal with spam). Speaking of spam, Y. Link has better projectiles than Link and can combo through spamming (bomb stun ftw). Eventhough his sword is shorter, it still outranges Ness. Both of the Links also have solid edgeguarding games against Ness too (Nair ftw).

Top Bottom