• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. Ganon

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Well, maybe that's why he beat me :laugh:

I'm not that good... I play this game more than 90% of the players I know and never get anywhere lol. I would in fact rather pretend I wasn't even at that tourney yesterday since after my performance I'm ashamed to even exist ><.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I just find it funny how much Mario mains hate Ness.

Anyways, I think the matchup is slightly in Ness' favor, it is at most 60/40. Most people fail to realize that Ganon only needs about 10 hits to be able to kill you. This is how people like DLA are able to do this. Even the best make mistakes, and Ganon exploits these mistakes well.

I agree with A2ZOMG in that fair isn't that great of a move. It's best uses are defensive retreating and ACing it's first hits for combos. The damage it does is nothing great at all, you're lucky if does more than 5%. The most fair does is interrupt and annoy opponents. Fair of course does this very well on Ganon since Ganon has no tools to deal with a retreating fair.

Fair isn't Ness' only aerial you know. ALL of Ness' aerials are pretty solid aerials. Unless the character has a sword or a crazy bair like DDD, all of Ness' aerials can compete with or outperform other aerials. Ganon's aerials imo are outperformed by Ness' aerials. Ganon's only really good aerial is uair, which I know Ness' dair can trade hits with. So basically in the air Ganon is only at an advantage if Ness is above and in front of him and if Ness is below him (Ganon's dair is also pretty legit, it'll beat our uair if given time to startup).

There are plenty of times to hit with pkf. Nobody plays 100% defense ever in a game, there are chances to use it. Also pkf is pretty safe when spaced well and/or pivoted, so if it's powershielded you will probably be safe against most characters. If pkf is spaced well against Ganon, the worst you'll get is a Wiz Kick which is risky for Ganon since there is a chance Ness can powershield that.

Pkt forces Ganon to approach, and Ness has a lot of options while using his pkt. Even if Ganon knows these options, Ness usually can pick the best option and be safe or successfully offensive. Pkt can lead to pkt2 (offensively or retreating), floorblast (with a offensive or defensive followup), tailwhipping to prevent approach, and basic/complex pkt mindgames like circling, looping, etc., etc.

Fsmash is pretty bad, I won't lie. Brawl just really f'd up on this move, it's near useless. This will hit every once in a bluemoon, but it's sort of safe if spaced well unless it gets powershielded or the character has good oos options to punish it. I agree with you that this move really won't be hitting anyone in a competitve game.

Levitas

the moon
I almost want to create a list of ganon's moves that are longer than 48 frames.

12 hefty frames to react to ganon throwing out a move from out of range (barely ok for a reaction time)

21 frames for ness to subsequently get a bolt of pkf from the player's fingers to ness's fingers (wow that's slow)

15 frames (approx.) for the pk fire to get to the ganon from where he is (also a long time, this ness must have been pretty far away)

I don't know of a single player that doesn't throw out moves. The list of moves that last longer than 48 frames therefore would be a list of moves that could result in ganon getting pk fired, should ganon miss without forcing an action such as spot-dodge/roll.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I just find it funny how much Mario mains hate Ness.
He doesn't hate Ness. He just knows Ness is a terrible character (I admit to that too, but believe you can make it with him because you can learn to use him well).

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
A2 I don't think you've played a top Ness before. I go to Santa Barbara all the time, just play me and i know you'll change your mind about a lot of this. Ness/gannon is DEFIINITELY 60/40 or worse with Ness being in favor. No doubt about it. As long as you stay in the air, play defensive, aren't stupid with laggy projectiles, and don't challenge gannon's uair with dair he really can't do anything. Also i play Vato_break all the time in person and it's a rare occasion when he beats me so I don't know what that says about the Ness/Mario matchup but I really don't see how Mario could have an advantage. I'm of the opinion it's the other way around. Mario does not have enough reliable killers meanwhile Ness has several options ( mario's just being primarily usmash and dsmash- fsmash isn't reliable enough to be considered imo, too easy to see coming because it's what you mainly watch out for). and this is a crucial aspect of the matchup because they can both reliably deal damage to each other.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
There's a Yoshi/Wolf feud?! How and why?

Sorry for getting offtopic, but I'm just curious. And I did write up a ton about the subject a few posts back.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Mario mains don't hate Ness. O___o Anyway, I think this match-up is 60:40 or 55:45, Ness. That's just how I've always seen it. But with Ganondorf mains saying it's 65:35, Ness and the Ness mains saying it's 60:40, Ness, then I'm not sure which one to believe. By the way, nice new avatar, ViceGrip. Is it Ness with Cyclops' beam device?

Chuee

Smash Hero
I'd go into the Mario MU but I don't wanna get off topic.
The MU isn't that bad it's just that Ganon is SO easy to play against.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Gannon's think he has an advantage on Ness??? wahhhh? this seriously blows my mind : /.

Yes good guess Uffe, it IS Ness with a cyclops visor on hehe.
I'm pretty sure Ganondorf mains don't think they have an advantage on Ness. If I do recall correctly, they said it was 65:35, Ness' favor. I feel it's 60:40, at least. As for the Cyclops Ness, I demand someone who is good at texture hacking make that Ness! The visor and that shirt both look really good.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
oooooooh, I see. yea it's either 60/40 or worse in Ness's favor. Gannon just shouldn't be able to get in Ness's zone and the main thing i see him possibly hitting with is a dair if you are within stomping range and happen to short hop anything but fair. Dair will just beat out anything else ness puts out if they both do a move at the same time near each other ( i.e. if Ness uses nair/dair).

I'm glad you think so, the visor doesn't look half bad on Ness surprisingly, haha.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I find it funny that you guys immediately assumed that I came here because I hate Ness. Oh no, that's not it at all. If anything, I think Ness is a cool character, and that Earthbound is an amazing RPG.

Ganon however has infinite manliness and is the wielder of the Triforce of power, thus he has priority over Ness in the universe of Nintendo, so he's one of my secondaries. I come here representing a Ganon user's point of view of this matchup, and even though he may be the worst character in the game, I will not permit him to be improperly represented.

If you think Ganon only has U-air in this matchup, you're dead wrong. His B-air is a very solid move for challenging aerial approaches, and his N-air is also a GREAT aerial, his second best aerial overall by virtue of its range and speed. Ganon's superior range and higher damage output means that it's very risky for Ness to approach Ganon. I will point out however that Ganon should almost never be D-airing unless you really suck with dashgrabs.

Ganon also has better tilts, and his F-smash, while in many ways a terrible move, is a somewhat viable punish option by virtue of it's ridiculous range and priority.

As for Mario vs Ness...that's a totally different matchup. If you want to discuss that matchup next, I have a lot of reasons why it's fundamentally in Mario's favor.

And you'll have to let me know when you're in SB...I'm always looking for good competition...since I still suck. =P

Gannon just shouldn't be able to get in Ness's zone and the main thing i see him possibly hitting with is a dair if you are within stomping range and happen to short hop anything but fair
Oh **** you, you deserve to be GANNON BANNED. I'll see to it myself when we do finally meet.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ness is waaaaaaaay too limited for this to be a 70/30 in his favor. He doesn't come close to shutting down Ganon if you know what you're doing against him.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
hehe I second Gannon and I'll let ya know next time I'm there again : ). Ya someone will come get you when we go discuss mario I'm sure. Gannon is definitely manly, no one is disagreeing with that , haha.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Ness doesn't have smashes.

Ness' aerials are slow.

Ness doesn't actually have projectiles. He can't move while he's using his specials.

Ganon can outrange Ness. Ganon can't be trapped by PK Fire or PK Thunder. (Ness' PKFire is useless to begin with, remember?) Ganon has lethal choke followups on Ness.

Ganon can almost spam rolls and Ness can't do ****. Ness spends the entire fight trying to get inside Ganon, and for Ganon being unable to do anything, Ness can land (dtilt trip) -> jabs. Everywhere else, Ganon has something he probably doesn't have against any other character, the holy Grail of Ganon players: moves that answer more than one action from his opponent. As in, he actually has options as a character rather than just having to yomi the other player for the whole Ganon**** fight.

Ness would have more success switching his FAir spam to DAir spam in this matchup. Ganon needs a difficult-to-obtain spacing to avoid it and punish, or block and still hit out of shield. EDIT: On reaction. He can jab any jump at close range on prediction.

But now we've basically reduced Ness' options to three attacks (when he doesn't have control).

Ness is garbage.

But Ganon still has no such thing as an approach or pressure of any kind.\
Ganon has to fear going offstage, and he won't kill much earlier than Ness due to reliability, but his DAir loves that red cap. If he doesn't get baited outside of center stage, he's got this. With patience and endurance, he's chances are as good as they get.

60:40.

MrsSaturnandWatch

Smash Journeyman
I MMed Inui at Paradigems Saturday, lost, but it's fine lol (only a dollar to learn a MU? : O)

Main problem was I thought Ganon was a really slow character entirely until I played Inui's Ganon. Games were close I suppose.

All I can say is retreat Fairs, as S1-14 said, FH PKFs, and Nair.
Ganon's bair is a
, so watch out for that. I'd go BF, FD, or SV. Cps would be RC (adjusting is the key, make the stage work for you) or Brinstar. I'd be kinda effy choosing Delfino but personal preference.

55/45 (Dead arse)

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Brinstar is a terrible pick, gannon is great on that stage, Uair takes up practically a good 1/4 of it lol. Rc doesn't seem that great against Ganny either, hmmm. Also Delfino is decent because he can sd when he falem chokes next to the floating platform but I'd rather not risked getting spiked (even though ness can do the same thing). you shouldn't need to cp Gannon. Just beat him on a neutral- seriously.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Brinstar is a terrible pick, gannon is great on that stage, Uair takes up practically a good 1/4 of it lol. Rc doesn't seem that great against Ganny either, hmmm. Also Delfino is decent because he can sd when he falem chokes next to the floating platform but I'd rather not risked getting spiked (even though ness can do the same thing). you shouldn't need to cp Gannon. Just beat him on a neutral- seriously.
Oh **** you, you deserve to be GANNON BANNED. I'll see to it myself when we do finally meet.
Vice it's ganon ._.
Anyways Ganon isn't really good on any stage.

MrsSaturnandWatch

Smash Journeyman
PGN MMed Inui before I did, took him (Ganon) to Brinstar (as Nesh) and won

Pretty legit, but it's up in the air D:

RC ruins Ganon's recovery (same goes for Ness' but...yeah)
Get lucky, who knows.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I find it funny that you guys immediately assumed that I came here because I hate Ness. Oh no, that's not it at all. If anything, I think Ness is a cool character, and that Earthbound is an amazing RPG.
I wouldn't say, "you guys," since I don't believe some of us ever claimed that. I know I wasn't thinking that, anyway.

Ganon however has infinite manliness and is the wielder of the Triforce of power, thus he has priority over Ness in the universe of Nintendo, so he's one of my secondaries. I come here representing a Ganon user's point of view of this matchup, and even though he may be the worst character in the game, I will not permit him to be improperly represented.
Agreed with the first statement and as for him being your secondary, I see no problem representing him. I was just defending Ness in some parts that I disagreed with out of my experiences vs Ganondorf. Perhaps you were doing the same, so I apologize if I seemed bias in any way.

If you think Ganon only has U-air in this matchup, you're dead wrong. His B-air is a very solid move for challenging aerial approaches, and his N-air is also a GREAT aerial, his second best aerial overall by virtue of its range and speed. Ganon's superior range and higher damage output means that it's very risky for Ness to approach Ganon. I will point out however that Ganon should almost never be D-airing unless you really suck with dashgrabs.
I'm not really sure about nis nair, but I do know his uair is a threat for Ness if he's above him and bair is a killer move from what I've seen. The one thing I hate the most about fighting Ganondorf is his dairs. I sometimes find myself in a terrible position and get hit with that.

Ganon also has better tilts, and his F-smash, while in many ways a terrible move, is a somewhat viable punish option by virtue of it's ridiculous range and priority.
Versus Ness' f-smash, I do agree that it is better, if that's what you were talking about a few pages back.

As for Mario vs Ness...that's a totally different matchup. If you want to discuss that matchup next, I have a lot of reasons why it's fundamentally in Mario's favor.
I think you missed that one. That or that was on the Mario boards when we were discussing Ness vs Mario. It's 55:45, Mario IIRC.

I saw that, too. XD But he's ViceGrip, what are you going to do? You know? XD

That's waaay too steep if you ask me. At least 60:40.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I split main Ganon and Puff, but I've yet to play a competent Ness, so I can't offer any actual advice or ratios of my own.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Brinstar is one of Ganon's best stages if he knows what he's doing. The terrain kinda sucks for his autocancels, but the stage is small and easy for him to control, small blastzones make it much easier for him to kill, and he gets "free" Ganoncides when the lava comes up.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
^^ This.

Also gannon is supposed to be pretty good at norfair, though few regions have that stage legal. Once again i'd say just to stick to neutrals, ness should have it in the bag, don't let any gay stage steal a win from you.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Vice it's ganon ._.
Anyways Ganon isn't really good on any stage.
Ahem. Pirate Ship is a wonderful level for Ganon. Aside from being able to Ganoncide off the front edge, small stage so he can control it more easily, especially if he uses the tilting of the ship to his advantage. Dairs kill just about anywhere.

Also gannon is supposed to be pretty good at norfair, though few regions have that stage legal. Once again i'd say just to stick to neutrals, ness should have it in the bag, don't let any gay stage steal a win from you.
I play a few Ness' and they always go for neutrals. Just watch out for becoming predictable with your PK Fires, and space your Fairs carefully.

Wiz kick goes right over Ness' PK fire, and GDorf can ftilt through your Fair if you space it improperly.

MagicMike

Smash Rookie
Just sayin. The clips from that vid that I saw before getting bored. They looked unrealistic. Would anybody seriously jump INTO the lava? That vid just looks cool because somebody dies, nothing else.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well as it turns out, Vice actually knows the Ganon matchup since he actually has a legit Ganon, so unfortunately for me, he owned me since Ganon just sucks and because Vice's playstyle punishes bad spotdodging habits sooooo hard lol.

I do however have some entertaining matches saved. I personally think I could have played better with some spacing adjustments (but would still have lost since Ganon of course doesn't win the matchup), but you'll have to see for yourself when I upload the videos. =)

Uffe

Smash Hero
FOW = Overrated ;D
I like FOW a lot, and it's sad that he doesn't even have to brag about being good for someone to overrate him. I mean, sure, he's got a good Ness, but people act like he's the only good Ness out there. So when people come here and say, "I beat FOW with <insertcharacter>," they act like they've accomplished something when really they didn't. When you beat M2K or Ally with a lower tier, then come and tell us.

Top Bottom