• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. High Tiers discussion/Character Matchups

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You also have to realize pkt isn't that great. I'm not trying to talk to him like he's a noob, just give him some advice... Sorry if I sound condecending.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Same in regards to the condescending.

And PKT isn't as great as people make it out to be(thanks mostly to Simna), but you're making it sound like it's a bad option. All of Ness's techniques have their uses(except for this Dsmash, ewwww). You don't use PKT when other techniques will do a better job, but there are situations where PKT is extremely useful.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
T.T

I'm not trying very hard anymore to be good... I don't think it's worth the time. Being a semi-n00b is good enough for me.

None of my friends are good. Nobody at my school is good. I learned that from a SSBM tournament hosted by student council.

Meh.

EDIT: Hmmm.... weird sentence structure thingy in the first sentence.

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
yah.
no one at school is good except a marth player who im kinda training right now.
and VERY good people live like 20 min. away from me but my mom is overprotective and can't really go anywhere.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I travel like 4 hours to go to Smashfests with my friends(not that they're very far away, busses are the most horrible things ever invented). And I go to the monthly tournaments around here, so I guess my point is, I'm fighting really good people all the time. I'm also going to Super Champ Combo...for some reason I can't remember at this point, because it will be something like 2 days worth of me losing over and over. But hey, I get to play Simna, so rawk.

Point is, sometimes you gotta go out of your way to play better people in order to get better. I guess it really depends on how much you CAN do and, past that, how much you're willing to do.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Hmm... buses. I wish I had some more money. I wish I could get a job. Wait, I get home at like 7 everyday without a job... hmmm.... *tries to solve world hunger*

Ademisk

Smash Champion
yup, problem is a job sucks a lot of time from smashing too, so you have to be willing to travel at really weird hours sometimes. Busses don't cost much though, like $5 round trip for a smashfest usually, only $2.50 if it's nearby. I might get a car sometime soon with my new job paying more than usual, and that'll help things.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I kinda decided if I can't make myself better, I'll help others get better via huge guide and threads (like this one).

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Yeah, maybe. I dunno, it's just not the same. I spend all this time working on my Ness, what if he's actually good in Brawl?! Where does that leave me!? All that time and effort, and now suddenly my character is reasonable to play in tournaments!? WTF MAN!?

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Lol. At least you'll be one one of those people who can say they played with Ness when he sucked instead of switching cause he got good.

Levitas

the moon
My theory is that if in ssbm, when you enter magicant and beat evil Ness, you take the sanctuaries powers into yourself making you harder, better, faster, and stronger. That upgrades your Ness to top tier.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get to magicant, since there's no carbon/diamond dog to fight.

Any ideas?

Milos

Smash Lord
Ness has some good combos on fox and falco....

0-50 %, u-throw (or dair) into uair, into nair or bair (no djc!!)

50-90 %, d-throw, uair, djc bair pretty much destroys them, if you can follow the DI well.

plus, 45-150 % u-throw, bair.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Milos, all the combos you mentioned, except for the uthrow into uair/uthrow at low % are escapable through DI, easily. The dthrow into uair works, but you really have to follow their DI well, and the bair after that is not reliable at all, it only works when they DI certain ways.

And yeah, its nice when people who play other characters come to the Ness boards to ask/give advice. It's not so nice when they come to bag on Ness for being sexier than them.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If only we could ban certain people from the Nesss boards. Then the "OMFG y do they have a ness forum he is teh sux0rz i cant blieve it" posts would stop.

Then again, they stopped a while ago....

Voraine

Smash Rookie
I've never played in a tournament, nor am I familiar with who is high tier or low tier or any of the specific advantageous glitches but I've played melee for quite a while and against many people and I still know of no one who can beat me when I'm Ness, regardless of who they are using so I don't understand all this "Ness Sucks BS" He was hard to use in the Nintendo 64 version yet still the most powerful when mastered and the same applies if you put dedication into him in melee or for anyone who truly attempts to learn they're preferred character.

Levitas

the moon
Not so for ssbm. You need to get out to a tourney and say that again. Ness definately belongs in low tier, but realistically speaking Kenny10 is right. Take a look at some Guides to characters you use, or watch some vids on the boards, and see if you do the same kind of things before making judgements.

Of course, I'd say that to anyone who starts a post like that, no offense intended. After all, everyone starts somewhere. What matters is where you go from there.

EDIT: Ness is still my favorite character to play, by far.

EDIT squared: He wasn't the best in 64 either, he was mid tier.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Naw he was inbetween top tier and mid tier IMO. He ***** lower tiered chars and has OK matchups w/ pikachu and kirby. I think Fox was better than Ness in the old games... Why didn't they try to nerf him??? =(

His dj and djc were so different. I want his old nair and diar back too... **** combos + shieldbreaker ftw.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
djc z canceled dair basically guaranteed a 3 hit combo at like 0%

there's a certain isai match video where he absolutely ruins a kirby's shield with djc z canceled dairs

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Yeah, even I'll admit Ness isn't great in Melee. But I don't mind, I love playing him, and while I'm serious about tournaments, it's more because I want to improve Ness's standing more than my own.

But yeah, Voraine, you don't have to go to tournaments if you don't want to, but once you get into more serious play, Ness stops being as good. At more amateur levels he is really good.

Levitas

the moon
Awesome!
But the second one was hacked or used a code, as someone pointed out in the comments. But yeah, both were cool. Or am I wrong? it may have been clanked.
Never did much 64 myself.

I'm gonna find Isai's ness w/the pillar in it and post the link in a sec.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J3i9gFKz48 Pillar your shield until it's broken. Then keep pillaring you till you're dead, lol

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I saw both of the videos already. Ness looks way cooler in ssb64. He actually has a Neck... and a almost proportional body. I wish they fixed that in ssbb...

Levitas

the moon
I'm pretty sure for melee they just took the clay models and used tht pretty literally. I guess people in Eagleland are just big-headed or something. And conceited too.

Voraine

Smash Rookie
Well you guys probably know more about the technicalities than me so I believe what you say, its just hard for me to take it that way having never found an opponent that could really stand a chance, especially one on one, while I was using Ness, but then like you said, tournaments would show me that. I do however want to participate in them because I would like to prove how good I can be with him, I've always liked his char starting when I played Earthbound and it kept going when I started playing super smash bros. which I'll add is my all time favorite game.

Top Bottom