• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. High Tiers discussion/Character Matchups

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Well you guys probably know more about the technicalities than me so I believe what you say, its just hard for me to take it that way having never found an opponent that could really stand a chance, especially one on one, while I was using Ness, but then like you said, tournaments would show me that. I do however want to participate in them because I would like to prove how good I can be with him, I've always liked his char starting when I played Earthbound and it kept going when I started playing super smash bros. which I'll add is my all time favorite game.
You live in California. Go play at a tournament/Simna and get *****. You'll start seeing Ness' limitations compared to other chars.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Lol. It's funny how every new person comes and asks how to get better and you always see that one person who says, "Go to a major tournament, get ***** by random pro, and that'll show you how "good" you are."

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Yeah, but my point is, HE'S WAY FREAKING BETTER THAN ME, and I'm getting super close to beating him in Ness dittos. Ness dittos just...don't make sense.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
ugh..Ness dittos. People I play against will occasionally sympathize with my lack of good Nesses to go up against [because who plays Ness? Honestly! ;___;] so, having only ever seen me use him and not actually used him themselves, they either beat me or get close to it. I have 0 spacing against Ness because I just...suck I guess hahahaha. Maybe it's because I have no real clue what they'll do, whereas most good Ness players will employ similar tactics or at least I can read their mindgames better.

I dunno...I guess I should request it more often so I don't happen upon Mow or someone at some random tourney and get ***** by my own character :'(

EDIT: fair stops PKT2 too easily, PKT-tailwhips are too good.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Luckily I don't have to deal with that crap 'cause I suck. Beating up my n00b friend's Marth (fsmash for the lose) is gooood enough.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Stop being Emo Annoying.

And yeah, with Ness dittos, Simna's best strategy is to hit me with PKT before I can hit myself with my own PKT. I have a horrible time with it, because I'm stubborn. I'll try to PKT2 like 10 times.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
hahaha yeah....its a pretty nice way to build of damage....hit Ness off the stage so he has to use PK Thunder to recover

then you use pk thunder and hit him with yours just before his hits him...yours hurts him, and then his hurts him immediately after!
and this doesnt get him closer to the stage, so repeat! lol its funny

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Mow just batted me whenever I tried to sweetspot, and it worked... Either that or edgehog.

Levitas

the moon
Ademisk, you've got simna, and thesage has Mow. I hate the Midwest, the pop. density doesn't make for a good smash community.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
dont feel alone jman....ademisk doesnt really have me...he lives like a 12 hour drive away from me...we only had the chance to meet because we both travelled the distance to Super Champ Combo

EDIT: ****...i hate when i sound like an arrogant *******...can sum1 get Mow in here to say he has the best ness on the boards? that'll make me feel better

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah dude, the only "thing" I have are people who have PLAYED against Mow, either on occasion or regularly enough to help me out with how to beat them ^_^ but no help on beating Nesses ;__; Edge-guarding is a snap (but my spacing is terrible as I probably mentioned)...guess I'll just have to force my friend to use him now =D

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
yeah dude, the only "thing" I have are people who have PLAYED against Mow, either on occasion or regularly enough to help me out with how to beat them ^_^ but no help on beating Nesses ;__; Edge-guarding is a snap (but my spacing is terrible as I probably mentioned)...guess I'll just have to force my friend to use him now =D
*cough* MOVE TO NOVA *cough cough* *hack*

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Ness dittos are pretty pointless though, I mean, playing Simna was fun, but it was better for my game just watching him play against Foxes and Falcos and Sheiks. See his spacing and stuff. AFter all, I'm not gonna be fighting many Ness's in tournaments.

toasty

Smash Hero
@ Ademisk [b/c Quote isn't working]
true...but wouldn't it SUCK when you do happen to go up against one and lose simply because you're not great at the matchup? I think more specifically for me, I just need to know how to fight a Ness (period). Not just in dittos.

@thesage
ugh, NoVa??? Why move there? To be come an over-dramatic boardz/tourney/resultz-obsessed a.sshole? [not saying you are, but wow does that seem to be a breeding ground for them, from my experience].
I'm pretty content with SoVa's smash scene. We may not have the concentration of raw talent, but we're not bad [and getting pretty sick as a whole...esp Ether: he beat Azen in some Marth dittos a couple weeks ago at C3!!!] and we're all cool with everyone. We don't even talk ****! Well...it's kind of a "fire when fired upon" policy, in which case we pull no punches and employ some hideous embarrassment.

Drive down to SoVa some time =D!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
How about we compromise and go to C3.

And people up here are *******s on the tourney boards cuz there joking. Most everybody is really cool (mostly...)

Take Lucas out of your sig ***. Lucas = GAY

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
@ Ademisk [b/c Quote isn't working]
true...but wouldn't it SUCK when you do happen to go up against one and lose simply because you're not great at the matchup? I think more specifically for me, I just need to know how to fight a Ness (period). Not just in dittos.

@thesage
ugh, NoVa??? Why move there? To be come an over-dramatic boardz/tourney/resultz-obsessed a.sshole? [not saying you are, but wow does that seem to be a breeding ground for them, from my experience].
I'm pretty content with SoVa's smash scene. We may not have the concentration of raw talent, but we're not bad [and getting pretty sick as a whole...esp Ether: he beat Azen in some Marth dittos a couple weeks ago at C3!!!] and we're all cool with everyone. We don't even talk ****! Well...it's kind of a "fire when fired upon" policy, in which case we pull no punches and employ some hideous embarrassment.

Drive down to SoVa some time =D!
hahaha i can see why you wouldnt wanna turn into a results-worried player^_^ I remember back when the NCPR(NorCal Power Rankings) started and i was put as 18th(of 20) and this made me quite pissy as i strongly believed my rightful place was 10th. Then the next update came and i was only 14th behind some players i believed should be much lower. I was so worried about it and found myself complaining to ppl often.

Then in the next update I was removed from the list completely due to "inactivity." At this point I stopped caring; I was removed...and that was a nice load off my mind. I didn't even care if they put me back on the NCPR...and they havent since. lol but maybe they will after how i did at EVO/SCC(**** it woulda really been nice to get at least 8th at EVO....all i would have had to do is beat Chu Dat...lol)

indie_dave

Smash Ace
lolll i <3 nessers XD

where the heck are they around these parts
>_> oym
and i </3 ness dittos with non nessers, i get pwnz0rd so hard

i'm learning how to finally chain grab XD
how well does fair work against fox/falco up-b recovery? must test on ppl

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Fairs work pretty well against anything, but I don't really use them on Fox/Falco up-B recovery. Not that they don't work...there's just...BETTER moves. Bair them, bat them, Tailwhip, anything.

Also, that pic is god tier.

Edit: As for Simna's comment, I kinda understand where you're coming from, but I'd kill to be on the WA PR at all, so...I also kinda don't

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
/me crashes through the wall

DID SOMEBODY CALL FOR

?!?!?!?
hehe.
i've seen that in another thread. It's cool.

You still owe me another one because I feel ashamed about our last one.
Also I'm having a little thing at my house this weekend with people who live around my area so my mom can meet them so i can go to more smashfests.

Then maybe we can have another ditto dogy!!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
lmfao @ that picture...too good!

@Simna, I totally get what you mean...in our local crew thread, while I am famous for this it kinda sucks that instead of being listed as a "Member" I'm listed as "Official Nacho Maker" [do it at every fest I throw and any time I can]. Only bothered me at the time because there are like 6 other players who are consistantly better than me so it's like "wait, do they even actually consider me part of the crew?]
[crew name will soon be changed from "Head Rapers" to "Squirtle Squad" ^_^]

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
Ness should be a little higher on the tier but he's certantly not gonna beat a marth player of equal skill.
He is one of the best lower tiers.

Levitas

the moon
How did ness change from NTSC to PAL? It seems all high/top tiers (save peach0 were nerfed in the transition, so naturally, he would improve in a relative manner.

technomancer

Smash Champion
The attack hitboxes for the most part weren't changed, and Ness's recovery was not improved, so Ness is still at a disadvantage vs. the top teirs. Lighter weights on some things means that the backthrow and backair might kill a little earlier, but most high teirs don't rely on off the side kills to kill ness, mostly just spikes and backairs etc.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Well, equal skill? It'd be tough, but not impossible. I mean, eventually, it stops being about skill and about who can trick who. I can beat people of higher skill than my friends, but my friends know all my usual tricks, so it gets much more difficult to beat them, I have to constantly change my game to beat them.

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
yeah man, same with my and my bro.
all he does now is spam nairs until one hits.
then a grab.
then oblideration.

I gotta keep trying my mindgames.

Top Bottom