• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised Ness hasn't been announced yet. You think with the moderate success of EarthBound on the Virtual Console that he would then get announced.

There aren't too many changes that I would like to see from Ness other than having his Final Smash be PK Rockin Omega. Ness doesn't have many PSi powers of his own in EarthBound to really work with to be honest (other than Flash, Rockin, and Teleport [which hasn't been seen other than his on-screen appearance]).
All things considered with the creativity of PK Thunder, I believe they could make something work. Mewtwo got Disable after all...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not sure why so many people complain about Ness' recovery, I haven't failed it in forever now, same for Lucas, and I've never really played either of them a lot, it just feels so natural to me.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I'm not sure why so many people complain about Ness' recovery, I haven't failed it in forever now, same for Lucas, and I've never really played either of them a lot, it just feels so natural to me.
same here, but it can get pretty sketchy sometimes. the normal trajectory with the fastest input is pretty easy to use, but then again, its predictable. if you want to go in a slightly different direction, game forces you to be EXTRA precise on where you hit ness with the projectile, all the while, ness is descending at the same time.
theres also that pause in the air he does at the end of the move that makes him even easier to punish. I really think he should KEEP the momentum after the move ends, that alone would make his recovery safer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
same here, but it can get pretty sketchy sometimes. the normal trajectory with the fastest input is pretty easy to use, but then again, its predictable. if you want to go in a slightly different direction, game forces you to be EXTRA precise on where you hit ness with the projectile, all the while, ness is descending at the same time.
theres also that pause in the air he does at the end of the move that makes him even easier to punish. I really think he should KEEP the momentum after the move ends, that alone would make his recovery safer.
Yeah, while I do think that it's easy to control what direction you're going to propel towards there's no denying that it's easily one of the most punishable recoveries in the game, maybe only second to Snake's. They really need to make it less gimpable, I wonder if they ever did any test runs with Ness vs Meta Knight during testing, because I'm fairly certain that they didn't.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Yeah, while I do think that it's easy to control what direction you're going to propel towards there's no denying that it's easily one of the most punishable recoveries in the game, maybe only second to Snake's. They really need to make it less gimpable, I wonder if they ever did any test runs with Ness vs Meta Knight during testing, because I'm fairly certain that they didn't.
you reminded me how snakes recovery has some super armor on it. maybe that could work for ness, whadya' guys think?

meta knight requested that he'd only test himself against another meta knight during beta :awesome:

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
you reminded me how snakes recovery has some super armor on it. maybe that could work for ness, whadya' guys think?

meta knight requested that he'd only test himself against another meta knight during beta :awesome:
In Melee, the first 9 frames of PK Thunder 2 are 100% invincible. In Brawl, that is replaced with super armor.

Here is how I think Ness should be changed (starting from Melee Ness):

-His grab range should be increased by 30%
-He should not lean down so much when shooting pk fire(so that it is a bit higher off the ground when he fires it)
-Uncharged PK Flash should come out and go off faster and have almost no cooldown lag.
-Ness should not go into freefall (special fall) for using PK Thunder 1....ever.
-Ness should not go into freefall for using PK Thunder 2 while on the ground
-Ness should have the option of using double jump AFTER PK Thunder 2 if he has not yet used it.
-Ness' downsmash should be reworked with the following attributes:
--slightly more range in front and in back
--a slightly larger hitbox
--the ability to choose whether or not the yoyo hits in front of Ness (he throws it out behind him and then, depending on you choice, either brings it back to his hand ending the attack or throws it out in front of him like usual)

That is all.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
In Melee, the first 9 frames of PK Thunder 2 are 100% invincible. In Brawl, that is replaced with super armor.

-He should not lean down so much when shooting pk fire(so that it is a bit higher off the ground when he fires it)
-Uncharged PK Flash should come out and go off faster and have almost no cooldown lag.
-Ness should not go into freefall (special fall) for using PK Thunder 1....ever.
-Ness should have the option of using double jump AFTER PK Thunder 2 if he has not yet used it.
--the ability to choose whether or not the yoyo hits in front of Ness (he throws it out behind him and then, depending on you choice, either brings it back to his hand ending the attack or throws it out in front of him like usual)

That is all.
Nothing else Simna? Because I think you missed one(hint: it involves Marth).
Also curious which version of the game you're referring to. Because there was mild localization balance between regions. I assume you're referring to NA release, but iirc his Dsmash was stronger in EU version.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what if they have ness the ability to slightly alter his direction while in pkt2, allowing him to curve it like lucario (although obviously not to the same extent)? God that would be awesome, I've missed so many pkt2 because the angles don't seem to always be perfect and sometimes trying to recover from below the stage is impossible

grizby2

Smash Lord
^^^^^^^^^^^^
ive mentioned this somewhere before me thinks. but yeah, if would really help with aim and make it less predictable (at least where ness is going to be at the end of it)

That is all.
i can tell you what I know in brawl concerning his changes from melee.
1. his grab range increased for his dash grab for SURE XD, dunno about his standing grab range though.
2. pk fire goes a tad further, still can be improved.
3. pk flash kinda feels the same and I agree that the cooldown should decreased.
4. yessssssssss
5. but if he can use his 2nd jump after pkt2, wouldn't that get rid of his free fall indefinitely? no character can do this except for Pit (i think) and R.O.B. to an extent since they can only cancle out of their recoveries (rob can resume whatever is Left of his recovery, then go into free fall like normal)
6.the yo-yo was re-worked in those general areas a bit (except for the cool side-choosing idea), BUT it should be done AGAIN!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Some people want Ness to have a teleport instead of PK Thunder as a recovery. I think PK Thunder is one of the more creative moves.

Would it make sense and be helpful to the moveset to combine B (PK Flash) and a teleport. PK Flash would have less KO potential and be slightly faster. When B is let go, Ness teleports to the green ball which then explodes (not doing Ness damage, but giving him cover).

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I am a firm believer that the core mechanics of having pkt as a recovery are 100% to be preserved. All of this talk of teleports and **** frankly sickens me. Pkt can now travel through enemies and the path of pkt2 is somewhat longer and will not be shortened if people run into it, as well as the path tilting as mentioned before. Those are the only changes I want to his recovery system (although there are good ideas in this thread). Pk flash can be replaced/needs a major overhaul, psi magnet needs and major overhaul, pk fire needs less end lag.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Nothing else Simna? Because I think you missed one(hint: it involves Marth).
Also curious which version of the game you're referring to. Because there was mild localization balance between regions. I assume you're referring to NA release, but iirc his Dsmash was stronger in EU version.
What? I dont get it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
ive mentioned this somewhere before me thinks. but yeah, if would really help with aim and make it less predictable (at least where ness is going to be at the end of it)

i can tell you what I know in brawl concerning his changes from melee.
1. his grab range increased for his dash grab for SURE XD, dunno about his standing grab range though.
2. pk fire goes a tad further, still can be improved.
3. pk flash kinda feels the same and I agree that the cooldown should decreased.
4. yessssssssss
5. but if he can use his 2nd jump after pkt2, wouldn't that get rid of his free fall indefinitely? no character can do this except for Pit (i think) and R.O.B. to an extent since they can only cancle out of their recoveries (rob can resume whatever is Left of his recovery, then go into free fall like normal)
6.the yo-yo was re-worked in those general areas a bit (except for the cool side-choosing idea), BUT it should be done AGAIN!
But for Brawl Ness there are too many things I would want to change back so I started with Melee Ness. Starting with Brawl Ness would have a bigger list for me.

Regarding PK Fire: The point is to allow pk fire (the highest priority projectile in Melee) a chance to clash and beat other projectiles. As of Now Ness fires it too low to the ground and it really only clashes when fired from the air(which is not practical for that application).

Regarding PK Flash: PK Flash has its uses....and all of them are charged. I want a reason to use uncharged pk flash.

Regarding midair jump after PKT2: Freefall or not he still cant PKT2 again. IIRC Lucario can do this.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I am a firm believer that the core mechanics of having pkt as a recovery are 100% to be preserved. All of this talk of teleports and **** frankly sickens me. Pkt can now travel through enemies and the path of pkt2 is somewhat longer and will not be shortened if people run into it, as well as the path tilting as mentioned before. Those are the only changes I want to his recovery system (although there are good ideas in this thread). Pk flash can be replaced/needs a major overhaul, psi magnet needs and major overhaul, pk fire needs less end lag.
PK Thunder cannot travel through enemies. Get that Lucas crap outta here.

lol

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Merge the functionality of Ness and Lucas's Up B and take Lucas out of the game. :)

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Merging their functionalities would probably be too overpowered. If the knockback of ness's was combined with everything that makes Lucas's safe and dangerous in its own right (goes through stuff, extra length on pkt2) it would be so incredibly strong. No, it should have some of the functions of Lucas's but not to the same extent.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Merge the functionality of Ness and Lucas's Up B and take Lucas out of the game. :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Er. Ahem. I mean... I think Lucas provides a rather different playstyle to Ness and has shown himself to be a lovely and fun addition to the series.

I do personally like the idea of teleport. Maybe he'd run a little first (midair, screw you physics) to charge it/ram enemies and then he'd teleport? It is really tragic that an enemy can make you fall to your death by getting hit by your attack.

So, I was thinking... in Earthbound, PK Flash isn't an attack so much as a serious debuff.
How would people feel if PK Flash was made easier to use but no longer a KO move? On the explosion, it could instead grant tons of status effects based on how long it was charged.

In Earthbound it could inflict:
Crying (Lowers accuracy)
Feeling Strange (Randomly attacks allies instead of enemies)
Feeling Numb (Can't use normal attacks)
Instantly destroys enemy

So, perhaps a low level Flash could cause enemies to temporarily do less damage (crying), a higher level flash would cause crying and enable friendly fire (Feeling Strange), the next level would also disable A button attacks, and the highest level would also do damage?

What do y'all think? PK Flash is distinct because it's pretty much Ness's only special that he actually uses in Earthbound, and I think this could make it a much more accurate reflection of the move.

grizby2

Smash Lord

Er. Ahem. I mean... I think Lucas provides a rather different playstyle to Ness and has shown himself to be a lovely and fun addition to the series.

I do personally like the idea of teleport. Maybe he'd run a little first (midair, screw you physics) to charge it/ram enemies and then he'd teleport? It is really tragic that an enemy can make you fall to your death by getting hit by your attack.

So, I was thinking... in Earthbound, PK Flash isn't an attack so much as a serious debuff.
How would people feel if PK Flash was made easier to use but no longer a KO move? On the explosion, it could instead grant tons of status effects based on how long it was charged.

Crying (Lowers accuracy)
Instantly destroys enemy

So, perhaps a low level Flash could cause enemies to temporarily do less damage (crying), a higher level flash would cause crying and enable friendly fire (Feeling Strange), the next level would also disable A button attacks, and the highest level would also do damage?

What do y'all think? PK Flash is distinct because it's pretty much Ness's only special that he actually uses in Earthbound, and I think this could make it a much more accurate reflection of the move.
status effects would definitely be unique.
feeling strange also had an effect out of battle in Earthbound, it switched the directions of your D-pad. for example: left = down, down = up, up =right, right = left. (and this would continuously change!)
it'd be so hilarious to see your opponent run off stage :rotfl:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
feeling strange also had an effect out of battle in Earthbound, it switched the directions of your D-pad. for example: left = down, down = up, up =right, right = left. (and this would continuously change!)

OH! I totally forgot about that! That's a much better status ailment than enabling friendly fire... I felt dumb for even saying that one, but it's all I could come up with.

Maybe the order of status ailments could be:
Reverse directions
Disable attacks
Disable specials
Full stun?

grizby2

Smash Lord
OH! I totally forgot about that! That's a much better status ailment than enabling friendly fire... I felt dumb for even saying that one, but it's all I could come up with.

Maybe the order of status ailments could be:
Reverse directions
Disable attacks
Disable specials
Full stun?
and uncontrollable TRIPPING :troll:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't know guys, seems pretty gimmicky. It can be unique but it has to be useful and balanced too

Flash as it is now isn't extraordinarily useful, though. I definitely think being able to remove the enemy's ability to attack is pretttttty powerful, but it's offset by the difficulty of hitting someone.

For me, the main question for me is "would it be OP to hit people who are recovering with this if it disables specials?" and the answer is probably "absolutely, yes."

grizby2

Smash Lord
Flash as it is now isn't extraordinarily useful, though. I definitely think being able to remove the enemy's ability to attack is pretttttty powerful, but it's offset by the difficulty of hitting someone.

For me, the main question for me is "would it be OP to hit people who are recovering with this if it disables specials?" and the answer is probably "absolutely, yes."

well mewtwo had a move that makes you dizzy, and you cant do ANYTHING while you're dizzy... so i'd say it would still be a viable mechanic in that respect. :smirk:

congrats on your 2000th post btw :D

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
well mewtwo had a move that makes you dizzy, and you cant do ANYTHING while you're dizzy... so i'd say it would still be a viable mechanic in that respect. :smirk:

congrats on your 2000th post btw :D

I just forget, what happened when MewTwo hit someone in midair? Did it miss them or did they collapse a bit?

Thanks! I actually hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. :)

grizby2

Smash Lord
I just forget, what happened when MewTwo hit someone in midair? Did it miss them or did they collapse a bit?

Thanks! I actually hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. :)
no prob!

in midair... I thiiiiink it just made them free fall for a second or so. considering how close you had to be, it really should have made them go into the helpless state to make it even imo.

I was thinking of something crazy earlier. what if pk flash made you switch places with another player? XD

you could use it like a secondary recovery. if ness doesn't go into his helpless state after using pk flash, it would help out even more since you could use it again, and can be a reason to use an uncharged pk flash (sinma) to quickly gain the higher ground.

I know it makes no sense for pk flash to do any of that, but hey, im just trying to be creative. :ohwell:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I always hated when Ness started to feel strange and there was no hospital nearby. i tried to memorize what button did what, but then they changed again. It would be very fun to see my enemies do it instead :grin:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
no prob!

in midair... I thiiiiink it just made them free fall for a second or so. considering how close you had to be, it really should have made them go into the helpless state to make it even imo.

I was thinking of something crazy earlier. what if pk flash made you switch places with another player? XD

you could use it like a secondary recovery. if ness doesn't go into his helpless state after using pk flash, it would help out even more since you could use it again, and can be a reason to use an uncharged pk flash (sinma) to quickly gain the higher ground.

I know it makes no sense for pk flash to do any of that, but hey, im just trying to be creative. :ohwell:

It seems pretty risky, unless he froze in mid-air while charging it.
I do like the concept of a move that switches positions with an enemy, though! Maybe not necessarily for Ness, but I do like it.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936

Crying (Lowers accuracy)
Instantly destroys enemy

In the moveset I made for Ninten, Teleport works like that: Ninten runs a bit (even if he is in the air), leaving a trail of fire that damages enemies behind if used on the ground and suddenly disappears, appearing some distance in front of where he was.

grizby2

Smash Lord
It seems pretty risky, unless he froze in mid-air while charging it.
I do like the concept of a move that switches positions with an enemy, though! Maybe not necessarily for Ness, but I do like it.
ya, I was thinking about the whole midair thing, but if he negates momentum kinda like fox's mid-air reflector, then maybe it could work assuming pk flash is more mobile next time around.
situational too, since you'd NEVER use it on people who are about to die, unless you feel like a badass :teeth:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
In the moveset I made for Ninten, Teleport works like that: Ninten runs a bit (even if he is in the air), leaving a trail of fire that damages enemies behind if used on the ground and suddenly disappears, appearing some distance in front of where he was.

That sounds perfect to me, especially if you do get to control where he teleports to. It's simple enough but still different.

And, importantly, it's something that Ness actually did in Earthbound. :rolleyes:

Speaking of, I'm gonna try to construct a moveset of only moves that he actually used.

Up B: TELEPORT
- As described by Tepig. He runs forward for a bit, leaving a trail of fire, then teleports in the indicated direction.

Neutral B: PSI ROCKIN'
- Functions like PK Flash does, but it's more accurate as Rockin' is an offensive move while Flash is actually a debuff.

Side B: PK HYPNOSIS
- Zaps out like PK Fire, but on contact it makes an enemy dizzy for a duration based on %. Like Mewtwo's disable but, y'know, useful on account of having range and being able to attack downward from the air.

Down B: PK SHIELD
- Concentrates for a second, taking half damage and no knockback from all attacks, then releases a psychic blast with power proportional to the amount of damage dealt to him. A totally competent KO move, especially against multiple reckless attackers.

Final Smash: Ω PARALYSIS
He shrieks out "PEE KAY PARALYSIS... OMEGAAAAA!" and all enemies look sick for a moment. For the next 18 or so seconds, all enemies can do is move, jump and shield, losing the ability to attack or use specials at all. Ness can then freely go and pick them off.

I like this, actually! I'd play this Earthbound-accurate Ness much more often than the current Ness.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Down B: PK SHIELD
- Concentrates for a second, taking half damage and no knockback from all attacks, then releases a psychic blast with power proportional to the amount of damage dealt to him. A totally competent KO move, especially against multiple reckless attackers.
actually, theres no prefix for the name, its just plainly "shield" :upsidedown:

regular Shield would just ward off damage. what you describe is actually "Power shield"(not to be confused with the mechanic) (in mother 3 it was renamed "counter" for some reason . in game, it reduced incoming damage in half, and reflected some of the damage back at the enemy.

so would this be like a counter?
:idea:
or maybe it could be a complete opposite move from psi magnet.
instead of a defensive restoring energy absorber, it can be used as an offensive physical damage racking absorber. maybe at a certain damage threshold (25% ?) ness releases the energy maybe doing....45%.
i guess this is akin to G&W's bucket except with physical moves and a % threshold.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I made a moveset with attacks he actually uses too, here it is:

Neutral B - PK Flash

Looks similiar to the one he uses in Melee and Brawl, but causes status effects like sugested here.

Side B - PK Paralysis

Shoots a ball of lightning that stuns enemies. Think of Zero Suits Samus's Paralyzer.

Up B - PK Teleport Beta (aka "Hurricane Teleport")

Ness spins really fast and suddenly runs, reappearing some distance in front of where he was.

Down B - PK Hypnosis

Shoots a pink ball of PK that puts enemies to sleep.

Final Smash - PK Rockin

Ness yells "PK... Rockiiiiiin!!!" and a lot of these things that appear in Earthbound when you use PK Rockin come from the screen damaging enemies.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Why not? What's wrong with that? It's a lot better than all these other awkward fixes of "no helplessness after using up b"
For one it would completely change the dynamic of using PK Thunder

Also, there is a distinct disadvatange to having it that way: You can't END the use of PK Thunder by hitting your opponent. If you use PK Thunder and hit your opponent and they DI it the right way you could be looking at getting punished for using PK Thunder even if you land a hit with it. With Ness right now, you hit the opponent and PK Thunder ends.

Not to mention that Lucas' is hella slow and cant go very far.

EDIT: and really...how is no freefall awkward?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I made a moveset with attacks he actually uses too, here it is:

Neutral B - PK Flash

Looks similiar to the one he uses in Melee and Brawl, but causes status effects like sugested here.

Side B - PK Paralysis

Shoots a ball of lightning that stuns enemies. Think of Zero Suits Samus's Paralyzer.

Up B - PK Teleport Beta (aka "Hurricane Teleport")

Ness spins really fast and suddenly runs, reappearing some distance in front of where he was.

Down B - PK Hypnosis

Shoots a pink ball of PK that puts enemies to sleep.

Final Smash - PK Rockin

Ness yells "PK... Rockiiiiiin!!!" and a lot of these things that appear in Earthbound when you use PK Rockin come from the screen damaging enemies.
I would want a change in the status effects in Smash before doing this. Right now, all of the status effects amount to the same thing.

Disable, paralyze, sleep, and shield break all have the same functionality: incapacitating. There are minor differences between them(such as how sleepng makes a character sit/lie down and higher % means longer sleep but higher % means less shield break), but the main functions are the same.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yep, it'd just be a more unique counter move. Sure, it doesn't actually prevent all damage, but it's more effective offensively as well as actually working against multiple attackers. It'd be super satisfying to simultaneously blow away three enemies that are trying to jump on you. And, well, taking 50% of the damage and then retaliating is just accurate to Earthbound. :) I like it a lot, as far as counters go. Power Shield sounds cooler than just Shield. And I don't want to call it Counter... Stupid Fire Emblemers ruined it.

PK Rockin' definitely makes sense as a Final smash as well, though I kind of like the idea of running around knocking people off the edge when they can't recover due to Paralysis. :awesome:

In any case, goes to show that it isn't hard at all to make an interesting moveset while still being true to the original series. Shame, Sakurai, shaaaammmmmeeee. :p

Edit: @Simna
That's why taking away their ability to use attacks is so fun! Smash could definitely use more status effects...
- Slow movements
- Vulnerable to increased damage
- Vulnerable to knockback
- Unable to use attacks
- Unable to use specials
- Unable to grapple
- Unable to jump
- Unable to shield
- Mixed controls
- Burning (damage over time, touching others spreads it)

And so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom