• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Stafy (Densetsu no Stafy series)

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Super Smash Master said:
HE IS A ****ING YELLOW STAR WITH A FACE! HOW IS HE CREATIVE? I could've made a better character
So could I.

+rep for anyone who can guess the name of this guy, it should be obvious.

He still is popular in Japan though, so he might get in.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Great job, check your rep.

As for Stafy, does he have a stage that is familiar, or is commonly associated with him? I mean like, Green Hill Zone with Sonic and Geno's Forest with Geno.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Super Smash Master said:
Actually that was my user name by accident. It was original supposed to be Super Ska Master, but I had smash on the mind so I put smash by accident.
uh huuuh. yeeeeeaaah. Suuuurrreee. riiiiiight. :p

HE IS A ****ING YELLOW STAR WITH A FACE! HOW IS HE CREATIVE? I could've made a better character when I was FOUR. I don't care if the games are fun. I am just saying that Stafy has the laziest design of any character ever.
he is creative in ways you will never understand my good friend. plus who HASN'T wanted to play as a yellow sea star?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Super Smash Master said:
HE IS A ****ING YELLOW STAR WITH A FACE! HOW IS HE CREATIVE?
The same way a pink ball with arms and legs (Kirby) can be crative.

GenG

Smash Lord
Oh yeah. Coral Reefs is the recurring first stage in all Stafy games, from 1 to 4. It has a catchy tune that has been remixed in each game.

Other stage could be the Sky Palace, where Stafy and the Royal Family lives. It is usually the last stage or near, cause all baddies usually rules from there.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
OK, but seeing as how I really don't care about Stafy, I'm not going to argue. We'll probably be seeing him in Brawl, he has 2 possiblities for a stage, and as Fliptroopa pointed out, that's all that needs to be said.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Stafy's stage would probably be 1/3 Stafy-based, 1/3 StarTropics-based, and 1/3 Wave Race-based. Because all three franchises take place in a tropical area (except that Wave Race also has non-tropical areas).

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
tirkaro said:
plus who HASN'T wanted to play as a yellow sea star?
hat has been my life-long dream ever since I first heard of about Stafy about three months ago. I'd love to see Stafy in brawl.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
You know, I think Nintendo WANTS us to know about Stafy, with his cameo as a poster in M&L, and that the enemy in Super Princess Peach was a direct reference to him, maybe to get people hyped up about him (if this was what they wanted, it worked on me).

GenG

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Stafy's stage would probably be 1/3 Stafy-based, 1/3 StarTropics-based, and 1/3 Wave Race-based. Because all three franchises take place in a tropical area (except that Wave Race also has non-tropical areas).
Stafy has non-tropical areas, with snow for example. Startropics too (Myke travels in time in Startropics 2 to Egypt, North Pole...).

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I just looked at the Youtube link, and now I want Stafy in Brawl. He'd make a great character addition. Simple looks, with great attacks.

I could already see Stafy and Kirby on teams..

parrothead

Smash Lord
GenG said:
Stafy has non-tropical areas, with snow for example. Startropics too (Myke travels in time in Startropics 2 to Egypt, North Pole...).
Yes, I forgot to mention them, too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Stryks said:
A cute little star with no hands feet or coolness... No thanx, dont c him as a fighter
Regardless, it's popularity that gets characters into Brawl, and, from what I've heard, Stafy is pretty popular.

Also, read up on Wikipedia, says Stafy is a starfish, at least I think.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Stryks said:
A cute little star with no hands feet or coolness... No thanx, dont c him as a fighter
Mind showing me kirby's hands? And the cool part is just your opinion, and if you'd actually ever played any of his games, you'd know he has plenty of moves to make him a fighter.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Stryks said:
Looks don't matter, I don't care if Stafy makes it or not, but he has great potential.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Judging by the fan sites and forums, Stafy is one of the more popularly requested characters in both East and West. He never appeared once on Sakurai's poll, but regularly in fan polls, art, and suggestions.

So who knows. They definitely enjoy the little star-whatever.

icymatt

Smash Lord
He teamed up with Wario once. It could be cool to see them team-up again.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Stafy not appearing on Sakurai's list might be a sign of him being added and in production. Or probably Sakurai dislikes Stafy, because his personality is similar to Kirby's.

GenG

Smash Lord
Maybe Sakurai doesn't aknowledge Stafy as a superstar (no pun intended) character yet. Of course, 4 games which grazed the 500k copies, charisma and a potential characters. This is a must character, highly smash friendly (2D-platformer characters fit like a glove), but not seeing him in the poll knowing how popular he is made me worry. He is one of the few characters to be supported from both Japan and the US, despite his games not being released there.

By the way, do you know any Japanese Stafy webring? Just for fanboysm factor you know.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I'm thinking that there were just not many Pro-Stafy letters that were genuinely interesting or that were more interesting than the letters they did choose. I'm pretty sure Stafy will not be ignored.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Okay, let me say something I said on the Gamefaqs boards, and please don't get upset:

NO, JUST BECAUSE A CHARACTER DOES NOT APPEAR DOES NOT THEY WERE NOT SUBMITTED OR THAT SAKURAI DOESN'T LIKE THEM. IT ALSO DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE ALREADY IN THE GAME OR PLANNED FOR THE GAME.

...anyways, Stafy is pretty similar to Kirby, but I think he'd still offer something unique that the development team wouldn't mind including the game. I've noticed that Melee took a turn away from "major stars" towards "humanoid" and "mature" characters. Rather than going with the Stafy type characters, they stuck with doing ones that were either very human or humanoid, and weren't necessarily discouraging to older players (because, though I feel otherwise, there are a lot of people who play Melee who would be really upset if the roster wasn't a bunch of Star Fox, Zelda, Metroid, and F-Zero characters. You know, the more "serious" ones).

Brawl so far hasn't shed the Melee philosophy, but we're not that far along in our knowledge of the game, so it could change. Who knows. They obviously "upgraded" Pit, so they could easily do the same with others. I just hope they do become more inventive and care more about the game and not the appeal, like they did the original. I WANT to see Stafy, Demiru, Sukapon, etc. Sure, Falco and Ganondorf are cool, but I could've done without them. Definitely. But losing the opportunity for a fighter as cool and unique as Lucario? Unheard of.

GenG

Smash Lord
You know, Melee was a game intended to show a grasp of the true GC power. High detailed characters, with a lot of physics. They sure chose those characters that would look great for this goal: Appealing, human-like and detailed.

With Brawl they are sticking to the same style, but not the same philosophy. Brawl won't be a top notch game in term of graphics, but they are trying to raise the hype with a high level production game, online and an extended roster appealing for both nintendo and non-nintendo fans.

I know the poll isn't decisive, Sakurai said it. I'm worried that ANY Stafy or Stafy related suggestion didn't made it to the poll. Even mentioning it. I just don't feel like waiting other 6 years to see him in a Smash game... He fits too much to the extent that thinking about him not being it Brawl makes me sick .

parrothead

Smash Lord
I've added his Victory Themes from the first three Stafy titles on the first page.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I've added videos of the openings of Legend of Stafy 1, 2, and 3, on the first page. I couldn't add the opening of Legend of Stafy 4, because I encountered this.

And here is a Stafy-shaped Japanese food:

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Hey, if there are any more levels that have water, like Termina, if Stafy landed in the water, would he drown like the other characters, or would he be able to survive longer?

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
GenG said:
You know, Melee was a game intended to show a grasp of the true GC power. High detailed characters, with a lot of physics. They sure chose those characters that would look great for this goal: Appealing, human-like and detailed.

With Brawl they are sticking to the same style, but not the same philosophy. Brawl won't be a top notch game in term of graphics, but they are trying to raise the hype with a high level production game, online and an extended roster appealing for both nintendo and non-nintendo fans.

I know the poll isn't decisive, Sakurai said it. I'm worried that ANY Stafy or Stafy related suggestion didn't made it to the poll. Even mentioning it. I just don't feel like waiting other 6 years to see him in a Smash game... He fits too much to the extent that thinking about him not being it Brawl makes me sick .
One of the few critics that actually make any sense at the moment, but looking at Kirby and Meta Knight, I think that Starfy is still able to make it in. His simply design may actually benefit him, as younger players would probably play as him more, which would also bode well with parents who neglected to actually look at the rating or what kind of characters are actually in the game. :p

Iggy K

Smash Ace
It could also help Nintendo get that E10 rating they want(I'm not sure if this is true, I remember hearing it somewhere).

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Not to be cynical or anything, but try using that same logic of putting in a cutesy character to tone down a game to something like Conker's Bad Fur Day. I just meant that Starfy would be more approcable by little kids than say, Samus, Link, and especially Zamus and Snake.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Guess I'm just jumping for reasons to include Stafy, I'd probably do the same thing for Toad, Balloon Fighter, Deoxys and Bomberman.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I never said Stafy was unlikely anyways. I was just pointing out that, instead of opting for such characters in Melee, they went for the more human-like and "serious" ones, because they knew most of the people who were waiting to play that game were older than 10 :p (not to sound mean or anything)

Brawl's hype is stemming almost entirely from this same demographic, 16-30 year old males. So of course they're going to throw in people like SNAKE, ZERO SUIT SAMUS, and PIT. It makes for a great game all around for everybody, sure, but who's going to appreciate it more? A kid who just found out who Snake was, or the guy who played Metal Gear Solid religiously when he was in high school 8 years ago?

Black/Light

Smash Master
If Im correct Sakurai made Stafy and it's VERY popular in Japan. He also said that he is going to put some more of his own characters in and hinted that there will be a few Japan only characters to make it in seeing how FE turned out.

So this really makes me think Stafy has a good chance. And plus, we know that theres going to be some cute, "kiddy" looking characters added so he stands a even better chance with that on his side.

I really think he will be in brawl.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
If Im correct Sakurai made Stafy and it's VERY popular in Japan. He also said that he is going to put some more of his own characters in and hinted that there will be a few Japan only characters to make it in seeing how FE turned out.

So this really makes me think Stafy has a good chance. And plus, we know that theres going to be some cute, "kiddy" looking characters added so he stands a even better chance with that on his side.

I really think he will be in brawl.
Legend of Stafy was developed by TOSE, who also does the Game and Watch Gallery games. When Sakurai was part of Nintendo, he worked for HAL. So no, he didn't create Stafy. Did you confuse him maybe with Kirby?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Lolz, wow nice music videos. Anyway, I don't know about him being in SSBB...he's just a star...

Top Bottom