• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think Pikachu was given too much of a personality in Brawl, to be honest.

In SSB 64 he had a lot. His facial expressions changed from time to time.

In Brawl he's ALWAYS SMILING. I swear I think I've seen him smile even when he's hit! Even in the trailer when everyone was worried about the Wario Waft, Pikachu was still smiling. Smiling all the time isn't a personality trait. It just looks akward, void of personality and unrealistic (even for cartoons). Just my 2 cents. ;D

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
We're discussing Smash Bros. It's a game where the sole goal is to knock the crap out of the other fighters. There's really no story (unless you count the mess that was SSE as story), and, thus, pretty much none of the characters have any deep personality. Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Marth, etc. are pretty much generic goodguys, while Bowser and Ganondorf are generic baddies. And other than short lines spouted by the characters while they're fighting, there isn't really any way to give them personality. Lack of personality is a ridiculous reason for a character being excluded.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
We're discussing Smash Bros. It's a game where the sole goal is to knock the crap out of the other fighters. There's really no story (unless you count the mess that was SSE as story), and, thus, pretty much none of the characters have any deep personality. Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Marth, etc. are pretty much generic goodguys, while Bowser and Ganondorf are generic baddies. And other than short lines spouted by the characters while they're fighting, there isn't really any way to give them personality. Lack of personality is a ridiculous reason for a character being excluded.
Again, it contributes to the general feel of the entire game. If a character lacks personality, it feels like you're playing with lifeless dolls. It doesn't feel proper. Personality isn't simply displayed through words or audio, but also through animation, fighting style, and character design. I don't feel Ridley would meet those standards. Needless to say, I'm picky.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Again, it contributes to the general feel of the entire game. If a character lacks personality, it feels like you're playing with lifeless dolls. It doesn't feel proper. Personality isn't simply displayed through words or audio, but also through animation, fighting style, and character design. I don't feel Ridley would meet those standards. Needless to say, I'm picky.
Explain to me how, say, Mario and Link have personality then. I'm a huge LoZ fan and I don't hate Mario, but there is really no personality to these two characters, yet they're the lead characters in 2 of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

Since you're persistent with your opinion and you ignored the warning of Ridley supporters, I won't try changing your opinion.

I liked the concept of SSB 64. It was childish and creative.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Explain to me how, say, Mario and Link have personality then. I'm a huge LoZ fan and I don't hate Mario, but there is really no personality to these two characters, yet they're the lead characters in 2 of Nintendo's biggest franchises.
Mario is a hero, he's a clutz, a goof, and sometimes a badass, as displayed in many of his games. Link is mute as well, but he's constantly showing emotion through his expressions. When he pulls up the master sword, plays his ocarina, saves zelda, or fights ganon, there's always emotion and personality portrayed.

You do know movesets can be made from scratch. Like Wario, only Wario bike and waft are from the Wario series. The others are new moves that he never did in the wario series.

Ridley's moves can be heavily based from Other M and Prime.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
You do know movesets can be made from scratch. Like Wario, only Wario bike and waft are from the Wario series. The others are new moves that he never did in the wario series.

Ridley's moves can be heavily based from Other M and Prime.
I am aware of that. However, I never played Other M, but moves from Prime I could see. Wario has been the one character in Brawl I hated. He's disgusting.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
His personality, as displayed in the games, is simply a boss. He is simply an alien life form on another planet that samus tends to encounter. I didn't know it was illegal to have an opposing opinion.
You're not talking about opinions though when you say he has no personality. Its been established here that he does. You're ignoring the truth now. Now if you want to say that his personality isn't suited for Smash, that's a dumb, but valid opinion, but this personality thing is just wrong.

Look, as of now, there's no evidence that any aspect of Smash's Bowser is taken from the RPG games, and rather he takes those aspects from the main line games. In those, he has no personality. He's just a generic final boss. He's in Smash though. You don't see anything to do with his crush on Peach, just him slashing around. Is his bumbling attitude there? No, just weird dragon noises and grunts.

Ridley's personality isn't the most complex out there, being a cruel, scheming, and relentless bad guy, but for all this personality nonsense, his personality would actually come through, so this is doubly silly.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
You're not talking about opinions though when you say he has no personality. Its been established here that he does. You're ignoring the truth now. Now if you want to say that his personality isn't suited for Smash, that's a dumb, but valid opinion, but this personality thing is just wrong.

Look, as of now, there's no evidence that any aspect of Smash's Bowser is taken from the RPG games, and rather he takes those aspects from the main line games. In those, he has no personality. He's just a generic final boss. He's in Smash though. You don't see anything to do with his crush on Peach, just him slashing around. Is his bumbling attitude there? No, just weird dragon noises and grunts.

Ridley's personality isn't the most complex out there, being a cruel, scheming, and relentless bad guy, but for all this personality nonsense, his personality would actually come through, so this is doubly silly.
I'm not ignoring anything, I'm simply restating my reasoning and my opinon. It's not changing. Even you admit his personality -- or lack there of, is limited. There's not much there. It's not fitting and he'll be a boss as he was in Brawl.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Mario is a hero, he's a clutz, a goof, and sometimes a badass, as displayed in many of his games. Link is mute as well, but he's constantly showing emotion through his expressions. When he pulls up the master sword, plays his ocarina, saves zelda, or fights ganon, there's always emotion and personality portrayed.
I'm not talking about in their games. I mean in Smash Bros itself. Mario never smiles in Smash Bros, and Link doesn't pull the master sword, play the ocarina, or save Zelda in Smash Bros. I'm not saying I'd prefer the characters in the game as lifeless (actually, the fact that Mario never smiles despite his cheery personality in his games has always bugged me), but lack of personality is not a reason to exclude a character.

D

Deleted member

This is going to go in circles...

So, what past stages would you like to return? I'd like to see Saffron City from the N64 come back.

I am aware of that. However, I never played Other M, but moves from Prime I could see. Wario has been the one character in Brawl I hated. He's disgusting.
That reminds me, I hope they change Samus' dodge animation to the sense move in the game.

At least Rapture isn't here. If he was then you sir would be dead by now.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
I'm not talking about in their games. I mean in Smash Bros itself. Mario never smiles in Smash Bros, and Link doesn't pull the master sword, play the ocarina, or save Zelda in Smash Bros. I'm not saying I'd prefer the characters in the game as lifeless (actually, the fact that Mario never smiles despite his cheery personality in his games has always bugged me), but lack of personality is not a reason to exclude a character.
Again, animations, voice acting(as limited as it is), facial expressions, moveset. All of these are factors of personality.

Also, regarding moveset potential argument, Ice Climbers? Rob? Captain Falcon? ಠ_ಠ

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm not ignoring anything, I'm simply restating my reasoning and my opinon. It's not changing. Even you admit his personality -- or lack there of, is limited. There's not much there. It's not fitting and he'll be a boss as he was in Brawl.
...You're aware that just a little bit ago, we provided you with the proof that Ridley had a personality, you said you wouldn't read it, and then concluded that Ridley didn't have a personality, right? That's like the definition of ignoring.

ig·nore/igˈnôr/Verb
1. Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally
2. Fail to consider (something significant)
Yeah, that is the definition.

You're also failing to consider the fact that Bowser displays the same things, yet he's in Smash.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I hope mushroom kingdom 64 makes a return. I loved the stage even though it was banned from tourneys.
This stage and Saffron City were among my favourites in the original Smash Bros.. The Mushroom Kingdom stage was also very creative as it truly stayed in its roots to its series.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
This is going to go in circles...

So, what past stages would you like to return? I'd like to see Saffron City from the N64 come back.
Really, with the hopeful addition of DLC, I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see all the past stages reappear. That said, I hope Saffron City, Mushroom Kingdom, and Hyrule Castle return from SSB64. From Melee, I'd like Rainbow Cruise, Temple, Brinstar Depths (4 player fights there were always interesting), and Poke Floats. I didn't really love or hate most of the Brawl stages (except for Mario Bros and that irritating Donkey Kong stage)

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
...You're aware that just a little bit ago, we provided you with the proof that Ridley had a personality, you said you wouldn't read it, and then concluded that Ridley didn't have a personality, right? That's like the definition of ignoring.

Yeah, that is the definition.

You're also failing to consider the fact that Bowser displays the same things, yet he's in Smash.
Yeah, did I ever say I liked the fact that Bowser is in Smash? Nope. And yeah, I'm not going to read a manga. It's uninteresting to me. Should it have been an article or a novel, I would gladly read it.

If there was an airship stage (Most likely Jr's home stage), should it be from Mario Galaxy or Mario Bros. Wii?

Lateralus, are you saying you don't like 1/4 of the roster in smash bros?

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
If there was an airship stage (Most likely Jr's home stage), should it be from Mario Galaxy or Mario Bros. Wii?

More like half the roster.

Anyhow, what about the airships from SMB3? Give the classic games some love.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace

For the most part, there is a large amount of characters I don't agree with being in Smash.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Hm...I was just thinking if there could be a possibility that Castelia City from Pokemon Black and White (the biggest city designed after New York) could become a stage in SS4? It would be much like a bigger Saffron City and a lot more things can be going on as well (not to mention the view). What do you guys think about Castelia City as a replacement to Saffron City?

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Hm...I was just thinking if there could be a possibility that Castelia City from Pokemon Black and White (the biggest city designed after New York) could become a stage in SS4? It would be much like a bigger Saffron City and a lot more things can be going on as well (not to mention the view). What do you guys think about Castelia City as a replacement to Saffron City?
It could also give us the one huge stage we seem to get each game (Sector Z, Temple, New Pork City, etc.) I like the idea.

For the most part, there is a large amount of characters I don't agree with being in Smash.
That includes the characters in SSB?

Wow. Then why are you interested with Smash 4? Why is it that you post about it?
More like half the roster.

Anyhow, what about the airships from SMB3? Give the classic games some love.
I like SMB 3 but I would prefer the NSMB Wii version.
I think I prefer Saffron for nostalgic purposes.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
That'd be cool, fighting on the city skyline or something, or that bridge (Can't remember the name right now =_=)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, did I ever say I liked the fact that Bowser is in Smash? Nope. And yeah, I'm not going to read a manga. It's uninteresting to me. Should it have been an article or a novel, I would gladly read it.
Okay then, read this.

While Ridley is commonly portrayed as a destructive beast in the games, the official Metroid manga delved a great deal deeper into the persona of the Space Pirate General. Ridley first appeared in chapter one, where his violent disposition and love of death and destruction is made apparent when he orders his entire legion of Space Pirates to annihilate the peaceful inhabitants of K2-L as he looked on. His ability for cruelty is further made concrete when he attempts to kill a small girl who tries to befriend him; killing her mother while trying to shield the child. He, like many of his Space Pirate brethren, also believes in the superiority of certain races over others, counting himself among the privileged elite species and the lower races seen as something only to exterminate.

Despite these bloodthirsty tendencies, Ridley has shown to be an intelligent and competent battle tactician orchestrating a great many successful battles as well as proving a serious threat on his own. Interestingly, his traits as a competent leader seem to be on a genetic level, as the Mystery Creature, Ridley's adolescent form, seemingly leads various creatures into attacking Adam Malkovich's squad while he handles Samus alone. However his quick temper and his arrogant belief that nothing can defeat him often undermines these qualities, leading to a great many defeats for him as well.

Ridley also seems to grudgingly show respect to those that are natural at commanding others, such as when Gray Voice is ordering the Pirate Troops to their battle stations; Ridley, taken aback, smirks at being told by Gray Voice to attend to his job and sarcastically addresses him as "Sir Military Commander" when he flies off.

He has also shown to have a very sadistic sense of humor evidenced by his various comments against Samus upon their first meeting since K2-L. Ridley even goes so far as to taunt her by saying that he may have eaten and incorporated the cells of her mother's corpse into his body and sardonically wonders what part her cells reside in and proceeds to bring his foot down on Samus angrily saying "At least pay your respects!"; referring to her dead mother, showing just how much joy he takes in the suffering of others. This sadism can also be seen in Other M as Ridley toys with Samus before being interrupted by Anthony.
Anyways, you may not like Bowser, or pretty much all of the roster that doesn't either have a personality, or doesn't show it because this is a freaking fighting game, but it still shows that it happens. :V

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I hope mushroom kingdom 64 makes a return. I loved the stage even though it was banned from tourneys.
Well.. Past stages I want. (At least 6, to per game)

SSB:
-Hyrule Castle
-Mushroom Kingdom (Warp Pipes and POW block)

SSBM:
-Hyrule Temple (a classic)
-Kongo Jungle (the one with the rapids coming at the screen)

SSBB
-Delfino Plaza
-Norfair

Yeah pretty much these. :D

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Okay then, read this.

Anyways, you may not like Bowser, or pretty much all of the roster that doesn't either have a personality, or doesn't show it because this is a freaking fighting game, but it still shows that it happens. :V
Can I have a link to that article please? Thanks :)

Okay then, read this.

Don't mind him.

Nothing will change his opinion.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Can I have a link to that article please? Thanks :)
Oh, that's just the Metroid Wikia. Its easier to take stuff from those regarding personality since no one writes articles on this stuff.

But if you really want an article about it, one was actually written summarizing his role in the manga, and thus you can see his personality through there. :psycho:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...d-other-m-who-is-ridley/?attr=CVG-General-RSS

Don't mind him.

Nothing will change his opinion.
Its not an opinion though that Ridley has no personality, is a statement that contradicts the truth. It would be an opinion to say that he doesn't like the personality or that it wouldn't be suited, but this is just dumb here. I don't like Toad, because I think he's incredibly bland and boring, but I'm not going to out and out ignore the fact that he does have a personality.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
D

Deleted member

It should be from the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom