• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wanna follow Berserker's words here. Though I know it will hurt me so. (Dixie Kong will be my only character I get from my true wishlist.)

But a young man shall not grow into a cranky old douche.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
BTW, I had this wierd thought last night before I went to sleep: we know that Sakurai loves Panel De Pon. Now, it's bit interesting to think that he puts a reference from that series to his own creation. (Kirby's Down B having Lip's garbage block).

I'm sorta wondering does Sakurai then have some special heart for Panel De Pon...
Technically Panel De Pon isn't a retro series as there have still been plenty of games in the series over the years. I think the lastest game was for DSiWare.

Lip, however, is a retro character whose franchise has left her behind. Definitely a weird situation.

Only dropping by here to see opinions of what I thought for some reason. Now, I'm out and here are my last words:

No matter what happens....

I will still buy the game even though Toad is not in the game or if the roster kinda of sucks ***.

But I will be disappointed if the game does not bring anything new to the formula/gameplay OR if the new mechanic will screw up the magic of Smash bros. I'd still buy it for the sake of playing it competitively.
This. BTW you have 5555 posts.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oasis: Senior indeed.. Thanks.

TripleHyper: I agree. Japan still wants to keep her alive but seems like she's lost her way. So has her franchise. I think it's becayse of the localisation circumstances that will arises when doing a new Panel De Pon-game. America didn't mind characterless Planet Puzzle League but Japan did, saying it felt boring due not having any character and theme around it.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Since Shortie did a dream roster I'm throwing mine in. Luckily Brawl added most of my favorite characters, so there are not very many left I'd want.

Dream roster and tweaks:

Yoshi: Eggs and shield reflect color of Yoshi
Wolf: A couple new specials
Luigi: Poltergust down specials
Mario: Spin move down special again
Roy: Refine moveset ala Capt Falcon Smash 64 <-> Melee
Ness: PK Rockin' Final Smash
Toon Link: Differentiate him more
Falco: Dual pistols
Pit: Great Sacred Treasure Final Smash

JPW

Smash Ace
For E3 next week I don't know if we should suspect a trailer If anything i see a possible 1 minute teaser. It's just too early. I know he finished Kid Icarus in February. But the Wii U dev kits only came available this month.

If anything we'll get a Dojo Return announcement.

Though it would the most awesome kick in the face to have Sony show off their Playstation All Stars Battle Royal(such a horrible name). Make all the fanboys happy, and then all off a Sudden we see Nintendo showing a really awesome Smash Bros. 4 trailer, and seeing Sony fanboys end up sooooo speechless. Oh yeah jaws will drop.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In Star Tropics 2, Mike Jones gets a Katana from Leonardo (DaVinci)

Ninja turtles reference, lol

JPW

Smash Ace
Since Shortie did a dream roster I'm throwing mine in. Luckily Brawl added most of my favorite characters, so there are not very many left I'd want.

Dream roster and tweaks:

once again i don't see the point of ditching Ike to bring back Roy. Roy is old news. And is nowhere near as popular as Ike. Also Roy has only been the main in one FE game. Ike has been a main in 2 FE games, and they've both had a worldwide release.
And Yet Roy deserves to have a spot more than Ike.....? How?

I also feel those who were cut will always be cut.

D

Deleted member

Dream roster and tweaks:

This actually one dream roster that I would have no problems with, with the expection of Krom replacing Ike, but maybe Ike can be alt of Krom...? :awesome:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
once again i don't see the point of ditching Ike to bring back Roy. Roy is old news. And is nowhere near as popular as Ike. Also Roy has only been the main in one FE game. Ike has been a main in 2 FE games, and they've both had a worldwide release.
And Yet Roy deserves to have a spot more than Ike.....? How?

I also feel those who were cut will always be cut.
It's called a dream roster. Secondly, Mewtwo and Roy are probably two of the most requested characters for the next game. So there.

This actually one dream roster that I would have no problems with, with the expection of Krom replacing Ike, but maybe Ike can be alt of Krom...? :awesome:
For me I can replace Ike with Krom because I honestly have no attachment to him as a character. I like Ike because he is my main, but If Krom (whom I do like) can give me a similar playstyle, then I'll gladly ship Ike up the creek. Tis me though.

bbbbut it's not only missing Ike. IT'S MISSING ISAAC!
Well I have a Shulk.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
JPW: I think Isaac's not there because despite how we ALL want to see him being included, we kinda think he also has some obstacles to go through. He's second-party after all, and Matthew might be just picked over him.

D

Deleted member

Isaac and Golden Sun are overrated to be quite honest. Also doesn't have that big of a chance anyway.
And it's his dream roster, so if he doesn't dream of Isaac, so what?

JPW

Smash Ace
I just think Isaac has a better chance than Roy or Metwtwo.
And if they can make a moveset for Captain Falcon anything is possible.

If you were Sakurai and you made brutal cuts would you really want to go back on them?

I also don't get Roy's popularity. Wasn't he a clone. I thought Smashers hate clones. They seem to hate the Star Fox clones.

D

Deleted member

If you were Sakurai and you made brutal cuts would you really want to go back on them?
Let's see, if I was Sakurai and I made cuts due to time restraints and had expressed dissapointment over those cuts, then yes, I would.

And if one of them was a character that was planned for two games but didn't make it both times due to time, then I would especially go for that one.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I like how Dark Samus and Meta Knight are next to each other. Then you have a mech and a robot by each other. Too bad Olimar couldn't be beside the other Captain. Why didn't you put Bowser on the same row as K. Rool, Ganondorf, Ridley, Dedede, and Wolf?

Palutena's Final Smash or leaked Uprising DLC or whatever gets you to click this link *Snicker.*

I just think Isaac has a better chance than Roy or Metwtwo.
And if they can make a moveset for Captain Falcon anything is possible.

I also don't get Roy's popularity. Wasn't he a clone. I thought Smashers hate clones. They seem to hate the Star Fox clones.
Last I checked no one said anything about Isaac not being able to have a moveset (or any character).

JPW

Smash Ace
who was he disappointed about cutting? I never heard about that.

Besides if he wanted to include them he would have no problem taking them on before adding newcomers but he didn't. He threw them away and moved on.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Besides if he wanted to include them he would have no problem taking them on before adding newcomers but he didn't. He threw them away and moved on.
Kind of like how Bowser and and King DDD were cut from Smash 64 and neve- oh wait.

D

Deleted member

He didn't say, but he stated there were characters he wanted to include but couldn't due to time.

Mewtwo and Roy have the most data of all the cut characters.

And you really don't think, do you? He didn't just go "throw them away". Priorities must be made.
In fact, Sonic's late addition into the game is part of why Mewtwo and Roy didn't make it.

JPW

Smash Ace
if he really wanted Mewtwo and Roy to stay. He would of focused on them like he did with the others. If they were that important. They would of been a first priority. But he moved on to the newcomers.

Why the love for Roy and Mewtwo though? You guys seem so defensive on it.... i never really saw them being popular choices.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey Golden, I saw that Eggman concept from DeviantART you posted last night. Pretty sweet. Kind of reminds me how I envisioned Porky working in Super Smash Bros using his Mother 2 spider mech. Kind of a cross between that, Tron Bonne in UMvC3 and Pacman in SFxT.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
Isn't the point of dream rosters to discuss them?

I would change Waddle Dee for Little Mac. Kirby doesn't deserve 4 when DK, Metroid and SF have 3. And I would also prefer Megaman X, but any Megaman will do. EDIT: Except the abysmality that is in SFxT. Classic, X, Exe all good.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Isn't the point of dream rosters to discuss them?

I would change Waddle Dee for Little Mac. Kirby doesn't deserve 4 when DK, Metroid and SF have 3. And I would also prefer Megaman X, but any Megaman will do. EDIT: Except the abysmality that is in SFxT. Classic, X, Exe all good.
Yep. :)

Personally the whole "what a series deserves" argument is extraordinarily subjective. Plus, as I wrote last night, putting a cap on what series can or can not have is going to mean having less characters to choose from, and I think people would support having more characters over less. Besides Star Fox already breaks the mold, so even within the roster itself there is no precedent to show any rate of growth to be quantified.

Megaman X is da bomb. Love Classic and all, but X feels like he would just be the better fighter.

JPW

Smash Ace
I'm just trying to discuss it. It's amazing they still haven't told me why they choose Roy over Ike. Or Mewtwo besides claiming they're popular among some "die hard" fans. And Sakurai somehow couldn't include them because of time contraints.

But they are right it is a dream roster. I'm just curious why sooo many favour Roy. Marth was the better one.

D

Deleted member

if he really wanted Mewtwo and Roy to stay. He would of focused on them like he did with the others. If they were that important. They would of been a first priority. But he moved on to the newcomers.

Why the love for Roy and Mewtwo though? You guys seem so defensive on it.... i never really saw them being popular choices.
You act as though they aren't important.
Here's some simple logic that even you can comprehend.
-Roster is decided on 2005.
-Some things end up being changed around. (Plusle & Minun (intended replacements for Pichu) cut for Lucario. Dixie Kong removed after Diddy + Dixie system doesn't work out. Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik cut for unknown reason; possibly due to the fact that Toon Sheik doesn't exist in the Zelda series.)
-Sonic gets squeezed in the game in 2007.
-Bunches of characters were left to be finished. They are Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf, Mewtwo, Roy, and possibly Dr. Mario.
-Crunch time, due to resources taken to fit in Sonic.
-Drawing the line, Newcomers took priority because Sakurai wanted to put in as many Newcomers as he could.
-Jigglypuff, being of the Original 12 characters from Smash 64 took priority over Mewtwo.
-By the time Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were finished, there was no time to complete Mewtwo, Roy, or Dr. Mario, though Mewtwo got pretty far in development and Roy, moderately so. Not so much on Dr. Mario.

Why Roy should get in over Ike? I have no argument there, as I don't support cuts of any kind when it comes to Brawl characters. In fact, of the cut characters, I can easily see only Mewtwo returning.
But the reason Roy is so popular is because he:
1. Has the potential to not be a clone. (Although look where that got Ganon and Falco...)
2. Is part of the reason Fire Emblem was finally released worldwide.
3. Has a fire sword. Kind of a stupid reason, but hey, it's a reason nonetheless.
4. Literally debuted in Melee, so he is kind of a Smash representative.
5. Whatever reason Japan likes him for.

And if I really have to explain Mewtwo's popularity, there is no hope for you.

@Star: Thanks. It was actually that concept that got me into the idea of Eggman in Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
New topic, this time on customization.

I was reading on a way to change SFxTK's gem system and it involved a big streamlining on the number of gems. Reading it, it reminded me of Final Fantasy XIII's Paradigm System. In that game, your three party members were each of six different classes and you could change classes in battle.

For example, I could have POW-MED-SEN for a particular team. Let's apply this to Smash. You have six types of enhancements: Power, Jump, Movement Speed, Resistance (Damage), Meter Gain, and Weight.

You can choose which power ups to choose from and you can choose the same power ups more tgan once. To balance this, certain combinations will provide enhancements in some areas, but take away in others.

What do you think?

:phone:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm just trying to discuss it. It's amazing they still haven't told me why they choose Roy over Ike. Or Mewtwo besides claiming they're popular among some "die hard" fans. And Sakurai somehow couldn't include them because of time contraints.

But they are right it is a dream roster. I'm just curious why sooo many favour Roy. Marth was the better one.
I already explained in my response why I chose Krom over Ike. Roy was added independently of Ike and Krom, so blame Krom; and do I even really need to defend Mewtwo? One of the most consistently popular Pokémon (and legendaries) of all time since the nineties. Many people were upset about him not being in Brawl and since then he has had very vocal demand for his return (if you need evidence go look around the internet for some of the many SSB4 character polls). On top of that the only reason he (and Roy) were not in was because of unexpected switch in priorities (ie Sonic needing to be included). Yeah, you mean to tell me that Sakurai can't or won't revisit him?

Hopefully this answers your question better. :)

JPW

Smash Ace
so tell me what will Roy bring to the table? Will be a clone of Marth again? Or will he end up being Gannondorf where they barely change anything and try to say but he's not a clone. Because of Down+A.

I also feel with Fire Emblem you should only take the face and the most recent. Judging on Fire Emblem: Awakening and whether it is available around the rest of the world could play a big part of whether Ike makes the cut or not. I remember i always wanted to see Sothe or Miciah in the next one. The idea of a Thief moveset sounded epic to me. And Miciah, mage moveset would be something different.

Roy could be possible. You guys are obviously passionate about it. But why ditch Ike for Roy? What does Roy have that ike doesn't?

D

Deleted member

You don't read, do you?

For one, I said I don't support cutting Ike.
For two, Star cut Ike for KROM. Not Roy. The reason being that Krom is essentially Ike 2.0, so Ike's moveset can easily be given to Krom instead. He merely brought Roy back, and had nothing to do with Ike.

And there's more than "Down + A" that gives Ganondorf major differences from Falcon. Granted, he doesn't have enough for our tastes, but he isn't a full clone anymore. Brawl has no full clones. Semi-clones yes, but no full clones like Melee.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Roy has a freaking fire sword don't be dense.

Though who knows if he actually WOULD be decloned. Probably NOT, but if he WAS, then he'd be the best.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
so tell me what will Roy bring to the table? Will be a clone of Marth again? Or will he end up being Gannondorf where they barely change anything and try to say but he's not a clone. Because of Down+A.
The same question could be asked of any of the lords. His moveset can change considering Captain Falcon's changed dramatically between Smash 64 and Melee, so it is not like it has not happened before. Play up the fire theme, that is pretty unique in itself. Plus Roy can act as the middleweight character between the lighter Marth and a heavier Ike/Krom, similar to how the Star Fox crew play out [Fox - Falco - Wolf].

Roy could be possible. You guys are obviously passionate about it. But why ditch Ike for Roy? What does Roy have that ike doesn't?
You should ask the question why ditch Ike for Krom?

JPW

Smash Ace
I care about Ike the same i care about Sonic. He is part of my main 5. So i would hate to see him cut. I have grown a liking to him. Looking at that now, and realising it, i can see why so many are supportive of Roy or Mewtwo right now. I never saw them as big players though. I only saw them of being replaced by the next generation. Just as i see Lucario being replaced by Zoroark.

Also the fact that Mewtwo is very popular surprises me. Among me and my mates he is the laughing stock.
So different opinions clashing i guess.

D

Deleted member

Lucario did not replace Mewtwo.

Now get the idea that he did out of your head or I will track you down and get it out for you.

Also, Lucario is being promoted again for B/W2, so I seriously doubt he's going anywhere.

And you should be more worried about Krom replacing Ike than Zoroark replacing Lucario.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
New topic, this time on customization.

I was reading on a way to change SFxTK's gem system and it involved a big streamlining on the number of gems. Reading it, it reminded me of Final Fantasy XIII's Paradigm System. In that game, your three party members were each of six different classes and you could change classes in battle.

For example, I could have POW-MED-SEN for a particular team. Let's apply this to Smash. You have six types of enhancements: Power, Jump, Movement Speed, Resistance (Damage), Meter Gain, and Weight.

You can choose which power ups to choose from and you can choose the same power ups more tgan once. To balance this, certain combinations will provide enhancements in some areas, but take away in others.

What do you think?
Meter Gain? :smirk:

But yeah, keeping things simple like that. It kind of reminds me of how the more powerups you have in Uprising for your weapons, the more of a glass cannon you become. Though, I think there'd be more than 6 enhancements, like the amount of stickers in Brawl or the effects you could get in Heroes & Heralds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom