• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Damaging opponents, I assume.

@what is the deal with that wavedashing and l-cancelling? It seems a bit overrated IMO.

:phone:
Wavedashing is an amazing tool for spacing and making sure you're in the correct spot. With Melee being as fast-paced as it is, being able to move so quickly without having to turn around or leave your neutral position is incredibly valuable. Any ground-based character will find wavedashing a MUST for competitive play, while more aerial focused characters will use it less often (though it's still useful).

L cancelling allows for combos that aren't normally possible as you can cancel the landing lag you would receive from performing an aerial by pressing dodge (L, R, or Z) exactly as you hit the ground. This cancels all lag so you can follow up immediately (perhaps even with a wavedash).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Damaging opponents, I assume.

@what is the deal with that wavedashing and l-cancelling? It seems a bit overrated IMO.

Wavedashing has a lot of uses. Getting in, getting out, etc. It has more options that a regular dash, but it requires you to commit to the wavedash.

L-Canceling is something that should've never happened.
But my concern with the idea is that it is geared toward a gameplay framework where attacks are classified in strict "high, mid, low" categories, and therefore, specific types of blocking is intuitive.

In smash, while to my understanding, the point at which an attack hits a player does influence how the player is struck, such black and white distinctions are not explicit enough to make differentiated blocking intuitive.

Of course, perhaps you intend for it to only really be relevant if you're playing at an advanced level.

It's just that when I think of concepts, I try not to neglect the average player in favor of the advanced player, so maybe my input is meaningless. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.
I think you're over complicating this.

Just think of it where you have two (technically three) types of blocking. Logically speaking, what should you go for if Fox does his DAir? Not the downblock because he'll just drill into your head. Standing block keeps your head safe. Try to think of like rock, paper, scissors. That and just play the game and learn what you can and can't do.

I may be a competitive player but I still care about the accessibility of the game. Most or maybe some of my friends even in the competitive side didn't like melee because it was too technical for them.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Just think of it where you have two (technically three) types of blocking. Logically speaking, what should you go for if Fox does his DAir? Not the downblock because he'll just drill into your head. Standing block keeps your head safe. Try to think of like rock, paper, scissors. That and just play the game and learn what you can and can't do.
Ah, I see what you're saying.

Didn't Melee have some directional influence with the shield?

Also, for your idea, what would be the controls for the different types of blocking? Would it be a slight tilt, similar to Melee? Or did you already explain this, and I'm just blind? ^^;;

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I hope ssb4 is more similar to brawl than melee. Melee looks very confusing and difficult for beginners to get used to.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I may be a competitive player but I still care about the accessibility of the game. Most or maybe some of my friends even in the competitive side didn't like melee because it was too technical for them.
The problem with Melee is that some of the techniques are too difficult for no real reason. Change Wavedashing to a QCF or QCB input or something and it's much easier to pull off. L-Canceling could just be removed for the most part except with certain moves as you typically don't have a reason not to L-Cancel, so just make it "automatic".

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I feel the opposite. I feel like Brawl is too bland and it's roof is too low for me. I feel compelled to get better with Melee, with Brawl, I have a lot less to perfect. I like a long, complex check list of skills I need to master.

I'm a glutton for pain I guess :p

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I hope ssb4 is more similar to brawl than melee. Melee looks very confusing and difficult for beginners to get used to.
I don't see how... it's just as easy to play Melee casually as it is to play Brawl casually.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Wavedashing is an amazing tool for spacing and making sure you're in the correct spot. With Melee being as fast-paced as it is, being able to move so quickly without having to turn around or leave your neutral position is incredibly valuable. Any ground-based character will find wavedashing a MUST for competitive play, while more aerial focused characters will use it less often (though it's still useful).

L cancelling allows for combos that aren't normally possible as you can cancel the landing lag you would receive from performing an aerial by pressing dodge (L, R, or Z) exactly as you hit the ground. This cancels all lag so you can follow up immediately (perhaps even with a wavedash).
Wow, impressive, seems like you know your technical stuff, man I need to learn more in-depth someday.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The problem with Melee is that some of the techniques are too difficult for no real reason. Change Wavedashing to a QCF or QCB input or something and it's much easier to pull off. L-Canceling could just be removed for the most part except with certain moves as you typically don't have a reason not to L-Cancel, so just make it "automatic".
They're difficult because they're exploiting the physics and programming to a level that Sakurai never intended for them. XP Which is why when he made Brawl, he didn't find it important to preserve those aspects. Or perhaps he deliberately eliminated them (which would be dumb).

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I hope tripping is kept in ssb4, but I want it to happen less and i want the tripping rate same for all characters.

Just avoid the L cancelling though. Simply reduce the number of frames.

And yeah, I see Crimson post in the Diddy boards. He knows a lot about the game.

@BlueZelda: Tripping? Please tell me you (Yup, not you're) joking

OmegaXXII

How so? If anything I would like it if it appealed to both casuals and the competative scene as well, it wouldn't be so bad, besides this way both communities would complain as much.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe I should try this "Project M" sometime.

Too be honest, my wii has been collecting dust for a while now

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the chance of tripping needs to increase. I swear I've gone through matches were no one tripped in it's entirety

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I think the chance of tripping needs to increase. I swear I've gone through matches were no one tripped in it's entirety
I think they should just have a setting for Tripping: On/Off. XP

for whoever crazy people actually like it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Be nice to the new kids y'all. They don't know much :)

If they're really bad, just send them to Waluigi's Van Funhouse ;)

OmegaXXII

I think they should just have a setting for Tripping: On/Off. XP

for whoever crazy people actually like it.
Exactly what I suggested earlier, no need to suffer with this effect, a simple switch would have saved the competative scene alot of trouble and dissapoinment, thus is why Project M was created and such, Smash 4 doesn't need it mandatory, maybe just optional or preferrably not at all.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Exactly what I suggested earlier, no need to suffer with this effect, a simple switch would have saved the competative scene alot of trouble and dissapoinment, thus is why Project M was created and such, Smash 4 doesn't need it mandatory, maybe just optional or preferrably not at all.

In all seriousness, the only time there should be tripping in matches is when you are against Diddy Kong

I doesn't add balance in any way and is just annoying

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I hope in ssb4 there is no option to quit during online matches. It's very annoying when taunt party chrashers quit in the middle of matches and d/c everyone.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
In all seriousness, the only time there should be tripping in matches is when you are against Diddy Kong

It's not supposed to "add balance" per se. It's supposed to add to the party aspect of Smash.

So I think there's SOME value in it for casual play only.

Wasn't there a setting to turn pause off? I think a setting to turn "reset" off would be good to have.

OmegaXXII

Lol..I think that Brawl's tripping will have people traumatized in SSB4 if tripping were to be removed and a player used Diddy with banana's, people would be like "OMGZ TRIPPIN' AGAIN!! NO!"

Actually, it's not suppose to add to the party content. It's suppose to make it "More" realistic.

I have nothing against footstool jumps. It's useful especially for the Ice Climbers especially during a chaingrab.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You play MKW?? We should play sometime.

Yea, I hate DC'D in online races, I end up losing VR as well which is never fun. :/

Mortal Kombat has me by the soul. Anytime is see MK I just want to rant about that game.

I think either argument has valid reasoning. Either way, a setting hurts nobody.
A lack of tripping hurts nobody, and makes a lot of people happy. No one's going to go "AWWWE MAN! NO TRIPPING!?"

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
You play MKW?? We should play sometime.

Yea, I hate DC'D in online races, I end up losing VR as well which is never fun. :/

I quit MKW because people with low vr kept winning me with items, especially on luigi circuit. But maybe I can play against you with no items one day, but I quit for a while now so I won't be as good.

Does anyone know why my signature graphic isn't showing on the bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom