• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Ha ha poor losers..

Anyway, I've been thinking, didn't they once state in Melee that the Motion Sensor Bomb came from a ?? Series, hmm...Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? Just a thought.

:phone:

User33

Smash Journeyman
and to adress your points personally :

1) popularity MAY be a factor but its certainly not the only one to decide the appearance of a character in smash over another one

2) same as 1)

3) having only one appearance in a game does not suddenly make a character less likely to be a rep , Uprising or not
The first two points were meant as a counter to people saying Victini and Tingle are likely due to their popularity. You seem to have misunderstood my last point. I'm saying that Medusa isn't the most likely just because she's been in one game (which some people might think). Her appearance in it is so obviously not character worthy (look at the picture I linked to) so I believe that Uprising will be the game that determines the second rep.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ha ha poor losers..

Anyway, I've been thinking, didn't they once state in Melee that the Motion Sensor Bomb came from a ?? Series, hmm...Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? Just a thought.

Probably because those kinds of Rareware titles don't involve Nintendo characters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Then why is a requirement set by Sakurai that characters must originate from video games?
This is why:

"OMGZ MERIDITH GREY 4 BRAWLLZ!"

or

"LADY GAGA VS LINK WOULDAH BEH AWESOMEEE!"

It just keeps requests less stupid. I'm an avid Gaga/Grey fan, but not for freaking SSB. It's much easier to say "No 4th parties" altogether than make a list of requirements. Plus, it's just better this way. It's Nintendo's finest, with guests.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Here's the thing with Medusa though...

1) she's undeniably the main Kid Icarus villain
2) she's reappearing in KI: Uprising.

Why argue against that until we actually play Uprising? As of now, she's the second most likely rep because Magnus was so obviously created for Smash Bros.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why argue against that until we actually play Uprising? As of now, she's the second most likely rep because Magnus was so obviously created for Smash Bros.
WHy is everyone in love with him? He has a sword, and muscles that isn't anything new. Medusa is.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Medusa FTW!!

I now officially support her as a playable character, and don't give me that size factor thing, it doesn't apply to smash.

Bowser,Olimar proved that. Obviously Ridley would go through the same procedure.

Spire

III
BRoomer
WHy is everyone in love with him? He has a sword, and muscles that isn't anything new. Medusa is.
Did I say I was in love with him? I haven't seen a whole lot of support for him as a character, just a lot of people like myself agreeing that he's probably gonna get in because Sakurai created him.

Aside from his face looking like Paul Stanley, I couldn't care less about the guy. Just some generic anime swordsman with a big sword (might as well put Cloud in). I want Medusa all day, any day. I'd main her in a heartbeat.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
Then why is a requirement set by Sakurai that characters must originate from video games?
You miss the point that Medusa from Kid Icarus is not the same as Medusa from Greek Mythology. She may be (and is) based on the mythological creature with snakes instead of hair. The team at Nintendo took that as a basis and created their own character out of that, who is now property of Nintendo.

Medusa from Greek mythology is NOT the Goddess of Darkness banished to the Underworld.
Medusa from Kid Icarus is NOT a gorgon nor slain by Perseus and neither is she the mother of Pegasus.

Okay, they have more in common like:
Original Medusa is the beautiful Goddess of wisdom and a particular rival to the Goddess of Wisdom Athene (who is the basis of Paluthena). Because Medusa didn't take the holiness of virginity sacred (she got preggers by Poseidon in the Temple of Athene) Athene cursed her and her sisters with ugliness beyond belief.

What I am trying to say:
Medusa is based on mythology but is still property of Nintendo.

Or else you could say: You can't put in Mario, cause there are real fat Italian plumbers in Brooklyn

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Beats me. People need to understand that size doesn't determine who can be playable.

Bowser has been a giant himself, but he has been resized for Mario spin-offs.
Well I meant to whole originating from Greek Mythology. That was such an obvious joke post even without Trollface.jpg

As for the other point she even appears in human-sized human form in the original Kid Icarus so I really doubt it's a problem.

Eggplant Wizard > Medusa >>>>>>> Magnus. Seriously why do I even get My hopes up that he won't be a game ruining factor?

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
oh, one more point:
Sakurai about the size of Palutena in Pit's Final Smash
"Now that’s what I call a deity. Look how big she is!

Well, I guess technically that’s not her actual size. She just chose to manifest herself as something that big."
directly out of the Dojo
The exact same applies for Medusa: So size is not even remotely relevant to those two, as they are beings of higher existance

Spire

III
BRoomer

He's awesome, but looks more like an Assist Trophy honestly. Looking at the direction by which Uprising is headed, Eggplant Wizard ain't gonna see the light of day in a Smash Bros. roster. Pit, Magnus, Medusa, and Gaol are the prominent characters so far.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Holy shot. Why the hell are people still debating Kid Icarus's Medusa and Paletuna and all?

To be honest, I think that only Palutena and Medusa have a real chance. They have been with the series since the beginning. Magnus and Gaol are new and they aren't deeply rooted in history of the series like Palutena and Medusa are. The only reason why people are supporting Magnus and Gaol is because they are new. Unless I see Magnus and/or Gaol in more Kid Icarus games after Uprising, I am not supporting them because it would be the same as supporting Skull Kid, Tetra, Midna, Zant, and even Anthony Higgs and that new villain from Skyward Sword and the other one-time characters just because they are new. I think this is taking the "recent-ness" to the extreme!

And the only reason more people are supporting Medusa than Palutena is because Medusa is a twofer token minority (female AND villain). This is the same reason why some people support Captain Syrup despite her not being THE villain of the Wario Land series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He's awesome, but looks more like an Assist Trophy honestly. Looking at the direction by which Uprising is headed, Eggplant Wizard ain't gonna see the light of day in a Smash Bros. roster. Pit, Magnus, Medusa, and Gaol are the prominent characters so far.
Care to explain why Palutena is not a prominent character?

She is more important than Medusa... and she has appeared in all three Kid Icarus games thus far while Medusa was missing in the Game Boy sequel.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

Eggplant wizard is noted as one of the worst video game enemies of all time. If you ever played Kid Icarus for the NES you will find out that he was worst then any of the bosses.

He would lob these eggplants grenades and if it touched you it would turn your upper body into and eggplant. You cant do anything but run and jump. The only way to remove it was to wander about the dungeon until you found a hospital which the girl would remove it for you.

He was also a major villian in Captain N the Gamemaster

Definatly assist trophy material if anything.

Life

Smash Hero
So? Roy is not in Smash Bros. anymore. Forget him.
You missed the point. Also a trope.

Roy didn't have a single game prior to his appearance in Melee. Therefore, the number of games a character has or doesn't have is irrelevant (barring the no-fourth-parties clause). So if you want to dissuade people from bringing up Magnus/Gaol, you'll have to find another line of logic. (I personally am waiting to see the characters in action before passing judgment.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Eggplant wizard is noted as one of the worst video game enemies of all time. If you ever played Kid Icarus for the NES you will find out that he was worst then any of the bosses.

He would lob these eggplants grenades and if it touched you it would turn your upper body into and eggplant. You cant do anything but run and jump. The only way to remove it was to wander about the dungeon until you found a hospital which the girl would remove it for you.

He was also a major villian in Captain N the Gamemaster

Definatly assist trophy material if anything.
Yeah he does sound like a menacing Assist Trophy, though I can't really picture seeing fighters get their heads turned into eggplants. Instead, maybe the fighters will get turned into eggplants completely, and be immobile for a few seconds; the transformation would be temporary. Think of it as Eggplant Wizard's answer to Yoshi's Egg Lay.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Yeah he does sound like a menacing Assist Trophy, though I can't really picture seeing fighters get their heads turned into eggplants. Instead, maybe the fighters will get turned into eggplants completely, and be immobile for a few seconds; the transformation would be temporary. Think of it as Eggplant Wizard's answer to Yoshi's Egg Lay.
Well what I was pictured was their upper body would turn into eggplants. They can run and jump but can't attack. Of course it will vanish eventually rather then finding a hospital.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Here's what Sakurai needs to do about Ganondorf:

1. Give Ganondorf is ****ing sword! Keep Ganon slow, but make his sword strikes Marth fast with more power. In terms of sheer swords-play Ganon has always been better than Link and far faster while he only walks and mostly counters, he counters with speed, power, & precision.

2. Put Black Shadow in Smash 4 and give him Ganondorf's current moveset. Not only does the old Ganon get to stay in some form, but it gives F-Zero another rep AND another villain in Smash.

A win for everyone involved.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You missed the point. Also a trope.

Roy didn't have a single game prior to his appearance in Melee. Therefore, the number of games a character has or doesn't have is irrelevant (barring the no-fourth-parties clause). So if you want to dissuade people from bringing up Magnus/Gaol, you'll have to find another line of logic. (I personally am waiting to see the characters in action before passing judgment.)
Has it occurred to you that Sakurai likely added Roy as a last-minute clone AND to promote Fire Emblem 6 at the same time? This is why we also had Pichu in the first place.

Magnus and Gaol may be new and they could be used to promote Kid Icarus: Uprising... but why pick them when you can use the characters who has been with the series for a long time (since the beginning would be ideal) and use them to promote Kid Icarus: Uprising because they are in that new game, too. It is like picking Rosalina over Toad and Bowser Jr. just because she is new (and female). Toad and Bowser Jr. are also in Super Mario Galaxy so why not use them instead of Rosalina?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wario Land I-III are the only ones that matter

I agree but they were over 10 years ago in the Game Boy era. We are at the end of the DS era and the beginning of the 3DS era now. I expect Captain Syrup will be a trophy (at best) or a sticker (at worst).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see a point in 3DS exclusives. Maybe the 3DS isn't powerful enough to have all the characters, but the Wii-U is powerful enough to have them. If they Wii-U version CAN have the characters, it should

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't really know what the Cerberus-like creature below is named, but seeing it makes me think that it should appear as a boss.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Magnus and Gaol may be new and they could be used to promote Kid Icarus: Uprising... but why pick them when you can use the characters who has been with the series for a long time (since the beginning would be ideal) and use them to promote Kid Icarus: Uprising because they are in that new game, too. It is like picking Rosalina over Toad and Bowser Jr. just because she is new (and female). Toad and Bowser Jr. are also in Super Mario Galaxy so why not use them instead of Rosalina?
Or at least in a case similar to Bowser Jr's have that character have the character have a decently major role for the next few games. Even IF Magnus was to get another big role in another Kid Icarus game, I wouldn't expect to see that anytime within the next five years. Sakurai isn't a fan of sequals. So he just in general has a smaller chance than Medusa and Palutena. That's why he gave up on Kirby. Speaking of that, does he still have the rights to Kirby?

Unlike what Arcade said about Medusa, their is more appeal to her than just "Female Villain". She's freaking cool. One of Nintendo's biggest BA's.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't see a point in 3DS exclusives. Maybe the 3DS isn't powerful enough to have all the characters, but the Wii-U is powerful enough to have them. If they Wii-U version CAN have the characters, it should
To me it would sense. It would be part of the connectivity. Somebody who bought both versions would be able to transfer 3DS exclusive characters over to the Wii U version.

It just sounds like something Nintendo would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom