• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Okay so how about we drop the race thing altogether now? I can't see this going anywhere productive.

How about we discuss Starfy? He should be able to utilize his costumes as specials.
I figure Starfy could just have a costume for every one of his specials.

B: Starfy turns into Monstar and breaths a large fire blast. Or it can be a continuous stream, but then you'd have Bowser, Charizard, AND Starfy with that move, but whatever.

->B: Starfy turns into Starpedo and shoots across the stage with the huge icicle tail thing, damaging everyone it hits and MAYBE freezing them?

^B: Starfy turns into Starfright and hovers upward while a ring of purple flames circle around him, damaging anyone that they touch.

vB: Starfy turns into Roostar and does an aoe bugawk that damages anyone within a small radius around him.

Also, I never said the moveset was grasping at straws, I said trying to justify Slime as a worthy character never seemed very convincing to me is all.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Which is why I asked the question the other day. The question was whether you would rather have more newcomers if it meant cutting some veterans or less newcomers if it meant not cutting veterans due to limited availability of slots on the roster.

Few newcomers means SSB4 would feel more or less a rehashed version of Brawl... similarly to how we went from Street Fighter IV to Super Street Fighter IV, with only 10 new characters added. More newcomers means SSB4 would feel new... similarly to how we went from Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to Marvel vs. Capcom 3, with lots of character cuts and lots of newcomers.
You brought up good examples pertaining to what the roster might turn out, in terms of having less newcomers I feel Smash 4 would probably turn out to be an 'updated' game with no significant changes as far as characters rosters go, I believe the reason why Marvel vs. Capcom wasn't taken as well as MvC2 was simply because it had lots of cuts, I think people were expecting at least 60+ characters when in reality only got less than 40, and due to the mentality that some fans had about expecting more, I felt it wasn't taken as good as it's predassessor.

Honestly I'd rather see a most vets return with a couple of newcomers rather than getting a bunch of cuts in order to make room for the newcomers.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'd take some cuts in the realm of:
Toon Link, Jigglypuff, for sure... As well as either Wolf/Falco, Lucas/Ness. In the grand scheme, Star Fox isn't all that major anymore, and Mother is done with. No sense having more than 2/1 there.

Mixing up some others would be interesting too. I like Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, R.O.B. and all, but these aren't really All-Stars, they could be a sort of guest appearance to keep things fresh.

REALLY hoping for DLC though...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Maybe it's because we were discussing Starfy for Brawl (and got into his games around this era) before costumes really came into his games, but I think he has more than enough of his own attacks without costumes that he can warrant fighting without them. Just for specials (not gonna go into full depth wit this right now)

B - Spin - No intro needed, Starfy's trademark
Side B - Kyorosuke Spin - Kyorosuke grabs onto Starfy and they spin in a diagonal angle either up-left, up-right, down-left, or down-right. When done in the air it puts you in a helpless state.
Down B - Body Slam - Unlike Bowser or Yoshi's Down B's that put you straight down fast, Starfy's is slower and you have some horizontal control over it. If you hit someone, you can press B to jump off of them, like in the games
Up B - Falling Star - another Starfy trademark, Starfy does two flips Up before coming down at an angle

Final Smash - Star coin. If heads, it will hurt all other enemies. If tails, it'll turn them into comical piles of ****, just like in the game. Ok, that won't happen, but it'll damage Starfy instead.

Then of course, Starfy can glide, has multiple jumps, wall cling, wall jump, crawl, swim easily....

I have no problem with the costumes, it's just that's the Starfy I've known for all this time :p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah well apparently because I'm Hispanic most people don't consider me as a "gamer". But yes I took it down so as to not offend anyone, but apparently it still slipped through... >_>

My apologies.
You're Hispanic too? And since when does Hispanic != Gamer?

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I don't think Toon Link is going anywhere, he's the new face of young Link and seems to be the preferred version for the portable Zeldas.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Toon Link is staying, he represents most of the portable Zelda games and there's no real reason to kick him out at all. Plus if they can give him more original b moves, maybe using items from games like phantom hourglass and spirit tracks, that could really help him out and become a type of luigified clone.

Also I'm calling it right now: Travis Touchdown

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You're Hispanic too? And since when does Hispanic != Gamer?
I don't know, it is like some people act all surprised. Doesn't make much sense to me, but people think what they will.

As for Starfy, I did not realize the costume aspect of him was new? Between those and his normal capabilities there is absolutely no reason he should not be playable. Period.

He's had 5 games, made his way to the West, has potential as a fighter, is a popular series not yet represented; why should he not be?

Stryks

Smash Hero
I think the reason Starfy won't be added is because he's not that well known of a character, as SP pointed out, he JUST arrived on the western market, but the game underperformed in America AND Japan where most of his games are released.

and as a fighter I don't see it happening, his reach would be among the worst in the series and there are far more deserving characters out there that can be added instead.

If sakurai went as far as to make his model, yet decided to make him an assist instead, I just don't see why he would make him into a full fledged character this time around

Stryks

Smash Hero
lol sup man

idk I just don't see it happening since starfy became an assist and tbh the only ATs I see becoming full fledge characters is Little Mac cause of the recent franchise reboot which sold pretty well, and Isaac since there's been a new Golden Sun, tho I heard that the guy on the cover isn't Isaac but his son right?

OmegaXXII

I think the reason Starfy won't be added is because he's not that well known of a character, as SP pointed out, he JUST arrived on the western market, but the game underperformed in America AND Japan where most of his games are released.

and as a fighter I don't see it happening, his reach would be among the worst in the series and there are far more deserving characters out there that can be added instead.

If sakurai went as far as to make his model, yet decided to make him an assist instead, I just don't see why he would make him into a full fledged character this time around

Stryks is back? o_O

but that doesn't make sense, if anything starfy could be adjusted to play depending on his moveset, saying there are more deserving character just because he 'doesn't fit' just doesn't make sense.

Go Ridley!!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Normally I'd be up for the idea for starfy, but his/her (ok seriously what is it?!) recent addition as an AT in Brawl just kinda lost points for me, I still believe other characters should get a chance like Isaac and Little Mac, sure a moveset CAN be made, I'm not saying it's not possible, but I think other, more successful series have a better shot. That's all.

and lol I'm surprised people remember me :p

roy_owns

Smash Lord
I'd take Issac over Starfy, and then Starfy over Little Mac. Mac doesn't seem to have a whole lot going for him when it comes to moveset imo.

OmegaXXII

I'd take Issac over Starfy, and then Starfy over Little Mac. Mac doesn't seem to have a whole lot going for him when it comes to moveset imo.
now Roy_owns shows up too? Man is this thread gonna get exciting with you guys back.

Anyway, I have to disagree with you on that, like Stryks mentioned Little Mac has it going for him, plus him being a retro he definetly has a chance, not to mention moveset potential more than Starfy can deliver.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
I'm sure Toon Link is dead.... personally I don't want to have Toon Link after playing Ocarina of Time 3DS....more realistic Link for portable please.
SSB4 is a long ways away, you can never know what Zelda games will come out before it's release, like one that will make Toon Link something to be desired.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I'm sure Toon Link is dead.... personally I don't want to have Toon Link after playing Ocarina of Time 3DS....more realistic Link for portable please.

There's no way they'd drop Toon Link for Young Link, Toon Link represents the portable Zelda games, while Young Link is just there cause of the remake, not because they dropped the art style in favor for a more realistic young link

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
There's no way they'd drop Toon Link for Young Link, Toon Link represents the portable Zelda games, while Young Link is just there cause of the remake, not because they dropped the art style in favor for a more realistic young link
Who said I want young Link ? (although Masked young link >>>> toon link in uniqueness)...I support 1 version of Link and that's the Skyward Sword Link...no more 2 versions because you know that's a waste of space....

OmegaXXII

SSB4 is a long ways away, you can never know what Zelda games will come out before it's release, like one that will make Link something to be desired.
Actually that's irrevalent, since SSB4 developments is scheduled to start in October 2011, Sakurai by that time will have a planned character roster, if another Zelda game were to come out during SSB4 tha game might not have any inclusion at all since development was planned way before the 'new' game even came out.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Actually that's irrevalent, since SSB4 developments is scheduled to start in October 2011, Sakurai by that time will have a planned character roster, if another Zelda game were to come out during SSB4 tha game might not have any inclusion at all since development was planned way before the 'new' game even came out.

Exactly, I think this is a reason why Midna and/or Zant weren't added into the game because Sakurai had no knowledge of what they could do and if they would be popular with the fans.

also about toon link:

It's gonna happen, it's pretty much a given now that there will be a Toon Link/Young Link to go along with the main 3 (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf).

Not to mention in the poll for brawl Toon Link was a japanese favorite so I don't really think he's going anywhere.

I'm certain they'll add Ghirahim or someone else from Skyward Sword to the roster

roy_owns

Smash Lord
now Roy_owns shows up too? Man is this thread gonna get exciting with you guys back.

Anyway, I have to disagree with you on that, like Stryks mentioned Little Mac has it going for him, plus him being a retro he definetly has a chance, not to mention moveset potential more than Starfy can deliver.
I'm glad to be back, kind of ditched when the tournament thread I was running started going down hill. Anyway...

I guess you guys are right, I'll be looking forward to this rapid discussion.

OmegaXXII

Are you saying the Zelda series would get 5 reps?

Well.. I won't say it isn't possible, but I highly doubt it, sure Gharaim may be the new Skyward Sword antagonist, but I don't think having both him and Ganondorf would actually happen, unless they cut Ganon which would outrage fans, not to mention make Sakurai look bad.

If anything, I'd say 4 at the most with the Tri-Force along with either Toon Link or Gharaim but not all 5.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

I don't think that really matters. Remember, Charizard was once a Pokéball Pokémon before he was playable. In fact I remember using that argument against the few supporters of his back in the day. So we cannot really say for certain why a character became an AT. To do so would be to have knowledge of why they decided not to complete them further. Maybe they didn't have time? Maybe they chose to focus on other characters? Unless any one of us were a part of the development team there is no real answer. Plus not being well known has very little bearing in this series where you have Capt. Falcon, Marth, Roy, Ness, Lucas, Pit, R.O.B, and Mr. Game and Watch.

Plus their models would have to be reworked anyways as most of them are low res like the Pokémon.

refugee

Smash Journeyman

Why do people keep on considering Little Mac as a retro character? He's no longer a retro character ever since the new Punchout came out.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Mac doesn't seem to have a whole lot going for him when it comes to moveset imo.
Dude, are you serious? He actually fights in his games, which is more than we can say for some playable characters in Brawl.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I agree with everyone who thinks Toon Link is staying. One remake of OOO is not enough to give Young Link a high chance of replacing Toon Link. Plus, Toon Link is still popular in Japan, and I don't see his cel-shaded style disappearing in the handheld titles anytime soon.

I'm certain they'll add Ghirahim or someone else from Skyward Sword to the roster
I'm not sure about a Skyward Sword character being added. So far, Ghirahim looks like he'll just be a one-shot character in the franchise, much like Midna or Skull Kid. Plus, SSB4's release is still years off from now, and I don't see much point to adding a character from a game that will be a couple years behind. I'm expecting development of another handheld Zelda game announced soon (probably an original, non-remake one), so if any recent Zelda character should get into SSB4, it would probably be from a game more recent than Skyward Sword by SSB4's release.

Of course, though, Skyward Sword still hasn't released, so we can't really be sure about Ghirahim or any form of representation for the game until then. I wouldn't mind seeing Ghirahim in SSB4 though.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I'm not. They didn't include Midna from Twilight Princess, why would they include Ghirahim?
Girahim and Midna ? dude are you smoking something....it's irrelevant comparison. it's obvious Girahim is an antagonist.....BTW guys Ganondorf was never included to SSB in my prespective... it was just another captain falcon to me....

OmegaXXII

What? That doesn't even make sense. That's like saying Sonic is a retro character because people know him for his Genesis games.
I believe, even if Little Mac was brought back to a recent Wii title many would agree that he is indeed a retro character by heart, he mostly known for being on the NES.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Got a response back from a Nintendo representative about my inquisition into The Last Story's legal standing. No dice.

Thanks for writing, I can appreciate your interest in The Last Story. However, as we're Nintendo of America, we generally don't have too much information about foreign titles. I can confirm that it has been released in Japan, and that it was published by Nintendo. However, I don't have information on what company (or companies) developed it, or how it's production may be classified by Nintendo Company, Ltd.
Rats... Still have no clue.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I believe, even if Little Mac was brought back to a recent Wii title many would agree that he is indeed a retro character by heart, he mostly known for being on the NES.
I would have to disagree because he appeared in a new game that most people agree didn't suck. Maybe if the game sucked and didn't sell well I would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom