• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
I would have to disagree because he appeared in a new game that most people agree didn't suck.
If a new Ice Climbers game was released on the 3DS, would you still consider Ice Climbers as a recent character? I wouldn't.

Another example, R.O.B was in Mario Kart DS, but he is still considered a retro "character".

refugee

Smash Journeyman
If a new Ice Climbers game was released on the 3DS, would you still consider Ice Climbers as a recent character? I wouldn't.

Another example, R.O.B was in Mario Kart DS, but he is still considered a retro "character".
Yes I would actually because it's a NEW game. They therefore lose their retro status.

That was a cameo appearance, not an actual game from the series. That's a big difference.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, Little Mac has been subtly revived through cameo appearances.

After Super Punch Out! (completely different Little Mac), we got a cameo of the same guy in Fight Night Round 2. Then NES Little Mac appears in Captain Rainbow, Smooth Moves cameo, and finally Brawl assist trophy, before being revived.

I also think Little Mac lost his retro status. Especially not only because he just appeared in a retail game, but because they even talked about making a sequel already. So he's pretty much back in action, I say.

Now, I see where people are coming from when they compare him to Ice Climbers and ROB. But we could still say that Ice Climbers are retro characters (they haven't gotten a new game/remake as off late), and ROB is retro because... well, in my opinion he's retro because he's a NES accessory. They'll never make a ROB 2.0, so until that day, ROB is retro.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
Yes I would actually because it's a NEW game. They therefore lose their retro status.

That was a cameo appearance, not an actual game from the series.
I guess it's a matter of opinion then. But I digress...

I would love to see Starfy, Issac, and Little Mac is SSB4 as long as the move sets are interesting.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Exactly,just because they've made an appearance on a modern console it doesn't change the fact that they are retro, Hecht when Game & Watch was brought to Melee on the Gamecube, did people consider him as a modern character then? I highly doubt it, even if a retro character makes an appearance of some sort on a modern console, they are still consired retro by many, unless of course they have numerous titles coming out.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Well, Little Mac has been subtly revived through cameo appearances.

After Super Punch Out! (completely different Little Mac), we got a cameo of the same guy in Fight Night Round 2. Then NES Little Mac appears in Captain Rainbow, Smooth Moves cameo, and finally Brawl assist trophy, before being revived.

I also think Little Mac lost his retro status. Especially not only because he just appeared in a retail game, but because they even talked about making a sequel already. So he's pretty much back in action, I say.
I don't think cameo appearances makes a character lose their retro status because it's not actually their game. Yeah I agree with you though that Little Mac has lost his retro status after starring in a new game from his own series. And a rumored sequel too? Retro status, lost.
Exactly,just because they've made an appearance on a modern console it doesn't change the fact that they are retro, Hecht when Game & Watch was brought to Melee on the Gamecube, did people consider him as a modern character then? I highly doubt it, even if a retro character makes an appearance of some sort on a modern console, they are still consired retro by many, unless of course they have numerous titles coming out.
Like star in their own game? O_o

OmegaXXII

I want Medusa!!

She has to be in, she is a female antagonist with a lot of potential, and if sakurai wants to promote Uprising in any way both Medusa and Palutena have good chances.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm interested to see what kind of moveset potential Medusa will gain from being in Uprising. I still say Sakurai's humility is her only, yet still significant barrier. u3u

Also Little Mac pretty much needs a pink jumpsuit, Doc Louis, and King Hippo alternate costume. It's kind of just necessary.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I want Medusa!!

She has to be in, she is a female antagonist with a lot of potential, and if sakurai wants to promote Uprising in any way both Medusa and Palutena have good chances.
Lol, he didn't even "promote" the kirby series until Brawl and that was after making like 10 games starring the pink guy. With that said I think Medusa still has a good chance on making it in.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I'm not. They didn't include Midna from Twilight Princess, why would they include Ghirahim?

I think this is a reason why Midna and/or Zant weren't added into the game because Sakurai had no knowledge of what they could do and if they would be popular with the fans.

And because TP was still in development when Brawl started development, Aounuma recently said that development is done for SS but they're working on the bugs and Sakurai said he isn't gonna start on Smash 4 til Kid Icarus is done, so by then SS will be about a month or from being released, he can see the fan reaction over main SS characters and decided wheter or not he'll add any.

And I can see Zelda with 5 reps as long as Mario gets 5 reps too, and I'm sure Bowser Jr is a shoe-in

refugee

Smash Journeyman

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sakurai will probably add at least 1 more KI:U character to the roster cause he's working on the game afterall, there's a lot of options which I like, cause you really don't know which to expect.

You got Palutena, Medusa, Magnus and that villain guy that appeared in the beginning of the 2nd trailer.

While I rather have Medusa (since we need more villain and female characters), I'd be happy with Palutena but I got a hunch it'll be Magnus that'll join the game,hopefully I'm wrong

OmegaXXII

...And I can see Zelda with 5 reps as long as Mario gets 5 reps too, and I'm sure Bowser Jr is a shoe-in
Well I won't disagree entirely, seeing the Zelda Franchise being the 2nd biggest next to Mario it might just happen.

Also what do you think about Bowser Jr.'s chances against Paper Mario's?

roy_owns

Smash Lord
Paper Mario would make for a much more interesting character then Bowser Jr. I say they're both likely, especially with the Paper Mario remake coming to the 3DS.

Stryks

Smash Hero
roy_owns said:
Mario already has 7 reps, Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters.
Err no, they aren't, each have their own symbol and victory theme, so they're considered (at least in smash anyway) separate characters from the mario franchise.

and IDK, I can understand why Sakurai would add 2 Links since they're different entities from the same universe, but idk if he would add Paper Mario, who isn't the same Mario from the normal platformer games but an all around different Mario from a different Universe

And I don't think he would want to take away what makes G&W unique, I think that's the main reason why he would pick another character that isn't in smash over a different and unique (at least in the mario series, not in smash) character.

OmegaXXII

.You got Palutena, Medusa, Magnus and that villain guy that appeared in the beginning of the 2nd trailer.

While I rather have Medusa (since we need more villain and female characters), I'd be happy with Palutena but I got a hunch it'll be Magnus that'll join the game,hopefully I'm wrong
You mean this guy:

He looks like a Final Fantasy rip off character, I will admit he does look cool, but is he significant enough to deserve a spot on the roster? Unless Medusa gets in I highly doubt he'll be a playable character, maybe an AT at most.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Mario already has 7 reps, Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters.
Donkey Kong also first appeared in a Mario game. Yoshi and Wario have now spawned their own series, Wario with 14 of his own games, and Yoshi with 7.

Stryks

Smash Hero
You mean this guy:

He looks like a Final Fantasy rip off character, I will admit he does look cool, but is he significant enough to deserve a spot on the roster? Unless Medusa gets in I highly doubt he'll be a playable character, maybe an AT at most.

Yeah that's Magnus, and idk I recall Sakurai saying something about him being important and made him into a stereotypical RPG character for fun.

And I know Medusa will have a bigger role than him, but you never know who will Sakurai add, for all we know he could have a big role too

tho now that I think about it, he feels more like AT material than an actual character

roy_owns

Smash Lord
I think either Magnus or Medusa will be in SSB4, not both. We'll just have to wait until Uprising is out and see whose role is more major.

OmegaXXII

It's obvious that that we might not get 3 Kid Icarus reps, but knowing Sakurai he might just prove everybody wrong, I hope he does.

OmegaXXII

Paper Mario would make for a much more interesting character then Bowser Jr. I say they're both likely, especially with the Paper Mario remake coming to the 3DS.
Hmm... Well considering that Bowser Jr. has also been in numerous Mario games as of late, plus him playing a significant role gives him a high possibility,not to mention he would probably have a good transformation as a moveset.

As for Paper Mario, sure he's a 2D character and with the recent titles he's had plus the upcoming one for 3DS, he too is likely, he wouldn't exactly be representing the Mario series, just his own.

D

Deleted member

Hoots said:
So am I the only one who cares about Professor Layton?
In all honesty, he would be interesting, but I'd much rather see Mega Man, Ryu Hayabusa, Slime, and Travis Touchdown get in before Professor Layton.
Oasis_S said:
Also Kickle Cubicle. I bet no one else has heard of him~
I've heard of him. I used to play a game for the NES that he starred in. It's too bad he'll never get another game, I liked that concept a lot.
Starphoenix said:
The third party series in my mind are the only legitimate contenders are Megaman, Street Fighter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and Professor Layton.
What about No More Heroes and Ninja Gaiden? Improbable (But so are others aside from Mega Man and Street Fighter), but I would put the chances of a rep from those franchises above the latter three, especially Castlevania.
Starphoenix said:
Rats... Still have no clue.
Food for thoughts, you're going to get nothing from Nintendo of America on anything by e-mailing them. I've tired that a few times a couple of years ago and all attempts went unfound.

OmegaXXII

I can understand Megaman, he is the most highly demanded character, but I still don't get why people suggest Travis Touchdown??

@Barbasol:....:glare:

Stryks

Smash Hero
Because Suda 51 said in an interview that he wanted Travis in the next smash bros.

Kojima begged Sakurai to add Snake in smash even when Kojima himself considered Snake more of a Sony/Playstation character, but was added anyway.

Suda 51 is friends with Kojima, Kojima is friends with Sakurai
it'll happen

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Also, unlike Snake. Travis has fan support, and the back up that third parties can get in.

Many say he is too "mature" for Smash, but his behavior can be toned down.

OmegaXXII

Link or it didn't happen!!

Nah, just kidding, but if we potentially get Megaman, Sonic, and other 3rd rep, wouldn't Kojima want to see Snake rather than Travis Touchdown? Yea, I know both are good buddies and all but I don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom