• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After 350 votes, the "My fifty roster" has taken a gross turn for the worst. The "popularity" roster really proved it's name after this inclusion. Popularity is very much, overrated.

Super Mario: Yoshi and Wario have their own series', so they're not included on the Super Mario category. Toad's chances are rather minimal, since he hardly makes any appearances on the mainstream titles; it's often hard to know if THE Toad is around, since many Toads use his color scheme. Bowser Jr. is an obvious pick, especially with his common mainstream appearances. Paper Mario, put him in his own series.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario
Bowser Jr.
Toad
Paper Mario

DK: Okay, despite Dixie's exclusion.
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K Rool

Legend of Zelda: Perfect.
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf/Ganon (Non Clone)
Toon Link

Kirby Series: Perfect.
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight

Pokemon: You're going too overboard with the Pokemon. Pichu is obviously one Pokemon that doesn't need to come back. Lucario will likely be removed; Zoroark becomes its replacement. Plusle & Minun would destroy the Ice Climbers' uniqueness. Mewtwo had its fame, but I don't exactly see someone who was scrapped from Brawl returning. Apart from those dilemmas, it's good.
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Mewtwo
Pichu
Plusle & Minun
Zoroark

Star Fox: Okay, though I did have Leon over Krystal.
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

F-Zero: Perfect.
Falcon
Sumurai Goroh
Black Shadow

Metroid: Perfect.
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Earthbound: Can't think of anything else for that series, so it's perfect as it is now.
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem: Roy was only in Melee for advertisement purposes. I don't see him coming back. Not too sure about Lyn.
Marth
Ike
Roy
Lyn

Smaller Franchises: I am uncertain with Little Mac. Also, Saki, Takamaru, and Starfy are missing.
Olimar
Pit
Little mac
Isaac
R.O.B
IC's
Game and Watch

3rd Parties: Personally, I'd get Solid Snake out of there. I did have my sights on the Square Enix company, especially with characters such as Slime and Black Mage. I'm neutral with Mega Man.
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Look in the quote for my replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Don't worry, I liked it alot, also here it is AGAIN!!

So, after doing a couple of third party stage concepts we will now be returning to our normal routine. Back to Nintendo series'. Many of you might be expecting this already as I've mentioned before that this would be my next concept. Hopefully there is still a sense of surprise for some? There was a really good suggestion (which I may come back too later), but ultimately I went with my own idea. Sorry Pie. Been itching to see a stage of this type in the Smash series for a long time, and luckily the past week has presented me with many ideas to achieve just that!

Ruined City, not the most creative name in the world but that is what Stage 1 of Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is titled so that's that... A post apocalyptic city festering with G5 soldiers, mechs and Keepers (alien creatures). It's dark, grungy, dilapidated, and brooding. With a background illuminated by constant lasers and bombings. The stage itself is going to share alot with Mute City/Port Town while capitalizing on it's own tricks. Which means you will be bound to a platform that gives you a "tour". What a heck of a tour at that! Don't worry though, there will be plenty of room to fight on unlike those F-Zero stages. You will be doing a lot of flying around this city. Buzzing around buildings, going through tunnels, landing on helipads, the whole tour. When you go into a tunnel you will watch as the platform dodges lasers, closing doors and spider like mechanoids.

Prepare to be disorientated because this platform will spin and turn! One minute the buildings are right side up and and the next you'll watch the platform turn those buildings and skies upside down. The characters will always be right side up, so don't think this is Spear Pillar on crack. It is only the background. In Sin and Punishment 2 there were many sudden and drastic changes in angle and direction, so will this stage. You will also have aircraft firing missiles at the stage at certain points, before they crash the character has the chance to attack them and propel them back at the craft, destroying it. This stage is fast and intense, just like the game!

Stage Example:
The best example I can give is to watch this video for yourself to imagine how the background would play out. Obviously minus the blasting. Go to 6:32 to see my upside down idea in motion.
Example
Upside-down Example

Stage Name: Ruinous City
Icon: "Sin" Katakana symbol

Sin and Punishment - Agave
Sin and Punishment - Ally Riskers
Sin and Punishment - Spiral Up Fortune
Sin and Punishment - Blood Infactor
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Menu Theme
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Fukouka
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Anarchy
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Setouchi
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Saki
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Man Eating Forest
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Nebulox
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - Proud Soldier
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - We Will Prevail

Ended up putting the Days of Ruin tracks on this stage since they share a similar atmosphere. But what do you think? Does everyone agree with me that we need a post-apocalyptic stage? I can't think of a better way to do it then from a game title Sin and Punishment. Playing this series has given me a better idea of how this stage would work and all I can hope is it is at least close to reality. It will be fun, down the road, seeing how many of these concepts were close to the actual stages in SSB4. Until then, lets enjoy the speculation.
:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Isn't this thread filled with what ifs though?
TOUCHE.

I suppose I mean more like... Technical stuff? There's a ton of things they could do, but what they will do is just impossible to know, so it's kind of pointless to talk about it.

Actually I guess that applies to everything.

CARRY ON.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thanks a lot Echi for killing the attention to my stage concept. I loved this one. >: (

I jest man.
And I'm sorry for being to busy with that challenge I didn't notice it. I'm a sucker for S&P and you did the game justice with the stages you picked. :D (Besides, nobody's talking about the moveset anymore) :p

S&P2 Has some pretty neat stages, but what about the water tunnel?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
TOUCHE.

I suppose I mean more like... Technical stuff? There's a ton of things they could do, but what they will do is just impossible to know, so it's kind of pointless to talk about it.

Actually I guess that applies to everything.

CARRY ON.
Hey, stages are not not important to me. They are my favorite aspect of the series.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That's all I had to say. LOL I'm going back to watching FF IV.

I'll rejoin discussion tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have this stomachache anymore too.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And I'm sorry for being to busy with that challenge I didn't notice it. I'm a sucker for S&P and you did the game justice with the stages you picked. :D (Besides, nobody's talking about the moveset anymore) :p

S&P2 Has some pretty neat stages, but what about the water tunnel?
I was kidding man. :p

The reason I chose the Ruinous City is because both games start out in cities like that, and honestly the most iconic area in Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is either the city or the prison. It just felt to me like it would be what would "click" the best.

If none of you have not listened to the music you better do it NOW! Especially you Omega, I got you hooked on Custom Robo, now get hooked on S&P. I'm your dealer, now take it in the veins!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12975133&postcount=11185

iFaZe

Smash Rookie
I was kidding man. :p

The reason I chose the Ruinous City is because both games start out in cities like that, and honestly the most iconic area in Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is either the city or the prison. It just felt to me like it would be what would "click" the best.
To me, stages are the last thing on my mind(besides a story, considering Brawl's Subspace Emissary was alright; only did it for the characters). Right now, all I'm concerned with is the tier list. It doesn't matter to me about the GameCube ports. The way I see it, if we can transition from Nintendo 64 controllers to Gamecube, we can transition from Gamecube to Wii U. Even though we've been using the Gamecube controllers for 10 years, and there was a shorter wait between Smash Bros. and Melee than Melee to Brawl we can still do it. Also, be realistic. I don't think Nintendo would go through the trouble of giving us Gamecube ports for one game even though Smash Bros. is one of it's highest grossing games. If anything, we're gonna have to pay for them to be attachable.

In my opinion, the Wii U and the New Smash Bros. were announced too early. Nintendo should have waited another year to announce it, when things weren't so chaotic with it's one Wii U controller only working problem. It might have changed since this thread was opened. We shouldn't be left out in the open about things like this. This could have a major effect on the Smash community, a long with sales on the game. Me, I'm personally buying it no matter what.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm gonna have to get back to you on that Nook moveset. I have the specials from earlier, but it's everything else that's tough to come up with.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
After 350 votes, the "My fifty roster" has taken a gross turn for the worst. The "popularity" roster really proved it's name after this inclusion. Popularity is very much, overrated.

Super Mario:Drop one of the newcomers. I only see Mario getting five characters at most, so maybe drop two of them.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario
Bowser Jr.
Toad
Paper Mario

DK:Perfect
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K Rool

Legend of Zelda:Perfect
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf/Ganon (Non Clone)
Toon Link

Kirby Series:Perfect
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight

Pokemon:Drop Lucario or Mewtwo, and Pichu and Plusle & Minun
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Mewtwo
Pichu
Plusle & Minun
Zoroark

Star Fox:Drop Krystal. Star Fox SHOULD NOT have the same number of characters as Zelda. She has not been in a game since 2006. If there is a non Big 3 series that deserves four characters its Donkey Kong.
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

F-Zero:Drop Samurai Goroh.
Falcon
Sumurai Goroh
Black Shadow

Metroid:Perfect.
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Earthbound:Perfect
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem:Roy is currently the most likely third rep since there has not been a new lord introduced. He was also planned for Braw. Lyn is HATED in Japan. Drop her.
Marth
Ike
Roy
Lyn

Smaller Franchises:Perfect
Olimar
Pit
Little mac
Isaac
R.O.B
IC's
Game and Watch

3rd Parties:Perfect
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Comments in red.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: I agree with some of your suggestions and disagree with others, although to be fair, according to a poll in Shortiecanbrawl's post, those are the 50th most popular characters, vets and newcomer included.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12975133&postcount=11185
Great stage concept and very good music as well. I especially loved Agave. Sin & Punishment deserves a rep, whenever that is Saki or Isa.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
They should put in Cloud Strife.

Don't punch me through the Internet. He'll prolly just be an Ike clone anyway.

D

Deleted member

Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
I am uncertain with Little Mac.
Why is Little Mac uncertain to you? He's among the most likely Nintendo newcomers.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Then who would be the most likely FE rep if there was one?

I'd argue there isn't a most-likely rep. That's the very interesting thing about Fire Emblem.

Lyn was an AT, and a Lord in her game.
Black Knight is the most likely villain addition.
Caeda is a likely secondary ally character.
Michaiah is moderately likely as she was recent.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Classic Sonic is my favorite era.

Not to sound like a gramps, but modern Sonic and its tendencies just feel so alien to the original source material.

I guess I've outgrown Sonic... Kinda. I still play the classics to death till this very day, and I main him in Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think I'm gonna skip out on the Nook moveset. I'll just put out the specials and his playstyle.

B: Leaf Drop
Nook drops a leaf a distance away from him. Once the leaf lands, it turns into Tanooki Statue that can the be thrown or smashed forward like crates. If the leaf is in the air, this attack acts very differently. Nook drops the leaf, but he must press the B button as the leaf falls for it to turn into a piece of Tanooki Statue. Use this to keep the opponent from getting away by treating it as a makeshift corner of a stage.

Side B: Net
Nook spins horizontally with the net if it whiffs. Otherwise, he'll get the opponent in the net and there is a brief period of stun where you can start a combo. Nook can aim in anti-air, edgeguarding, and straight directions for this making this a versatile grab. Use this in mixups when the opponent is expecting to air dodge or sidestep. Think of this as a mix of Ibuki of SF's Raida and Makoto of the same game's Karakusa

Down B: Shovel
The animation for this is him putting in a pitfall, but the length of time compared to the item counterpart when the opponent falls is smaller. You can have up to two of these at a time and each one disappears after a set period of time. When used at point blank, this is used as a launcher. This is good attack to follow up with the Net.

Up B: Fishing Rod
Casts the fishing rod upward at a 45 degree angle. Can be used as an anti-air to bring the opponent in or as a tether.

Playstyle: Tom Nook uses zoning in an interesting way. Instead of keeping the opponent at bay, Tom Nook uses his sleazy tactics to keep the opponent within a certain range. This is because Nook has poor running speed, but does have good horizontal jumping mobility and an excellent wavedash. Nook is also an example of a pint-sized power house. He's not necessarily a glass canon because he's not super light. He'll need some weight to get in. Your main goal is to keep the opponent close to you with pitfall traps and leaf columns to deal your damage. Your net is important as this attack gives you a safe setup for some of Nook's most powerful combos. You'll have to mixup how you approach and when you use your net though. Keep your opponent scared and punish him for escaping.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Lyn is hated in Japan? That's news to me.
Like it even matters. Give up on the hate thing, because if Waluigi, proved anything, it's "hated" characters can get in, even if they are more hated than liked. Which Lyn isn't. I hate the hate arguement.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Tingle being hated in the U.S. is the reason why he was left out of Twilight Princess, so yeah it does matter at least somewhat.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Tingle being hated in the U.S. is the reason why he was left out of Twilight Princess, so yeah it does matter at least somewhat.
Obviously not to Sakurai, Krystal Waluigi, Lyn AND Tingle were all in Brawl.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
As far as I know, Krystal and Waluigi aren't unpopular overall, just in the smash community because they had obnoxious fans.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Obviously not to Sakurai, Krystal Waluigi, Lyn AND Tingle were all in Brawl.
As assist trophis (Krystal wasn't even an AT)

The way I see it, AT are used for characters that are somewhat popular but likely won't become playable cause they can't bring much to the table, or they need that extra popularity boost to get there.

I'm sure that IF SF is gonna get an extra rep it'll be Krystal

You can't really compare a character getting AT status to one getting playable status, saying Waluigi is in brawl is redundant, he's is but not in the way Wario is, AKA the way that matters.

also my picks for FE characters are Black Knight and/or Micaiah, if FE gets one rep it'll probably be BK, since he's Ike's enemy, and the only villain character in FE to reappear in another game and playable to boot (from what I've heard)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think the only support Waluigi gets is mostly from people who just don't know much of other Nintendo franchises, so Waluigi is the only new character they can come up with. Then they get a lot of flack for it, and then get all defensive about their choice. Thus, a Waluigi supporter is born. Of course there are legitimate fans of him, but for the most part his popularity comes from people who only play Mario spin-off games I'm sure.

How snobby of me. :V

Barbasol

Smash Ace
also my picks for FE characters are Black Knight and/or Micaiah, if FE gets one rep it'll probably be BK, since he's Ike's enemy, and the only villain character in FE to reappear in another game and playable to boot (from what I've heard)
Yup, he's mortal enemies with Ike, but helped out Michaiah in several missions. He's also recruitable fully once you beat the game.

He's uber overpowered though once you get him. XD

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
As assist trophis (Krystal wasn't even an AT)

The way I see it, AT are used for characters that are somewhat popular but likely won't become playable cause they can't bring much to the table, or they need that extra popularity boost to get there.
Agreed, I was just giving an example that sakurai cleary doesn't see the hate that we do. Therefore everyone has a clean slate when it comes to that. I can't stand Waluigi.

Also, some people hate Krystal because of her furry fans, and they blame her for StarFox adventures. Which makes no sense. As for Waluigi, like I said, I hate him. And a lot of people around here do. I think Oasis said it best about him.

As for FE, I would prefer Micaiah or Caeda. I lean towards Caeda because she brings something completely new to the table, a lance.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
NOT TO MENTION THE MOST COMMON REASON YOU SEE FOR WALUIGI GETTING IN IS "Well, we got Mario, Luigi, and Wario, so why not Waluigi? lol."

Okay I'm done.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
NOT TO MENTION THE MOST COMMON REASON YOU SEE FOR WALUIGI GETTING IN IS "Well, we got Mario, Luigi, and Wario, so why not Waluigi? lol."

Okay I'm done.
I feel your pain. Like I say, I like almost every character, Waluigi and DHD are two that I do not. At all.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Yeah, like I said Waluigi and Krystal being unpopular has more to do with run-ins with obnoxious fans (ever heard of waluigis-girl on dA? ugh) rather than the characters themselves. So outside of the online gamer communities, they shouldn't be unpopular.

Still don't see Waluigi getting in at any rate though, Krystal has a chance but I think 3 characters was already a stretch for SF.

And I disagree with Stryks - I think most ATs are more of characters that are popular and relevant enough to be in Smash, but not quite deserving a playable slot.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
Can someone show me a Megaman moveset consisting of stuff HE HIMSELF can do, and not made up of individual robot master powerups?
You already got a reply but if we get X then there are atleast 50 possible special moves.

As for MvC3. It really is wierd Zero AND Tron Bonne got in so Megaman would be been great 3rd. Maybe Capcom just plans to make money from Megaman DLC (a character many would pay $5 for)

Also why do people say Sonic and Megaman are the only worthwhile 3rd party characters. I agree if look at Nintendo consoles' histories (Sonic being the main and only rival), well Bomberman was really important during Nintendo's early years and still is so I'd make him another candidate. Not as important as Sonic but not as unimportant as Snake.

But Snake is already in and I doubt he's going anywhere. He's popular but really isn't any different than Hayabusa (appeared on NES and have been around since 2000 both appearing on Nintendo consoles again) and popularitywise he is at same levels with Duke Nukem, Ryu, Rayman, Crash and Spyro, Lara Croft, Final Fantasy 7-12 main characters, Resident Evil main characters and possibly in near future Masterchief, Kratos, Sam Fisher etc. are just as iconic.

Sure Kojima wanted Snake to be in but if Sakurai didn't want him then we wouldn't have gotten him so I think he's still looking out for possible 3rd party newcomers. Who knows maybe Sakurai takes more active role searching now that he knows atleast 1 developer wanted his character in the game, and so do the game developers knowing Sakurai might accept.

Besides if we look far in future, SSB4 adding 10ish new Nintendo characters and then the probable SSB5 adding another 10 how many worthwhile Nintendo characters we still have left? Call me crazy but I rather have some AAA-popularity character like Yoshimitsu than someone really, really low Nintendo character like random bosses from random Marios playable

I am curious.

Who is the next third-party character that everyone is going to support after Mega Man gets in? It seems the Mega Man requests took off once Sonic got in. I am curious if there is someone who is "next in line" after Mega Man gets confirmed.

Personally, I don't see any other popularly requested third-party characters after Mega Man. All the other "popular" third-party characters have aspects to them that will not make them have the same mass appeal that Sonic and Mega Man had.
Ryu Hayabusa would be the second most likely.
Classic Sonic is my favorite era.

Not to sound like a gramps, but modern Sonic and its tendencies just feel so alien to the original source material.

I guess I've outgrown Sonic... Kinda. I still play the classics to death till this very day, and I main him in Brawl.
You're not alone.

I like Classic Sonic.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
They should put in Cloud Strife.

Don't punch me through the Internet. He'll prolly just be an Ike clone anyway.
How so? Cloud isn't even a heavy character, Ike on the other hand is.

It would be really stupid to waste and make a 3rd a clone on a character such as him, but I don't it matters, it's not like he stands a chance.:/

I don't support Cloud (Actually, I hate him) but he has a good potential of having his own moveset.

Really didn't care about Toad's rating chance according to most opinions but YAY! He has the 3rd highest nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom