• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Agreed, it's one of the most memorable trailers in gaming history. Soild Snake in Smash Bros. WFT?! :cool:

I think they should keep a similar format just replace,

Meta Knight - Little Mac
Pit - Ridley
Z.S. Samus - Issac
Wario - Mii
Snake - Mega Man?
Also, for anyone unfamiliar. This was Melee's reveal trailer at E3 2001:

E3 2001 Super Smash Bros. Melee reveal

We had:

Mario
Link
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Samus
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Captain Falcon
Fox
Kirby
Ness
Sheik
Jigglypuff

And characters you would have expected from the trailers:

Samurai Goroh
Ridley
Wolf
Zelda (who was playable)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, apparently the 3DS disks are capable of holding more memory than a gamecube disc, so it can probably have a limited version of the important aspects of smash

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: Wow, that is incredibly similar to the intro in the game. The only major difference is that the announcer doesn't shout the name and that it shows Sheik is one of the parts instead of Zelda.

Either way, I'm hoping they don't do a trailer like that again. I guarantee you that if the Internet was as big as it was back in Brawl, there would be more fans disappointed with how Melee turned out then Brawl. We can all agree that Brawl's roster was better then Melee's, right?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh I disagree, I hope they do. Although I made a few observations:

They showed Sheik and not Zelda, Sheik seemed to have a very positive reception.
The audience seemed to believe the intro was indicating Ridley would be playable, which was met with applause.
People love Kirby...

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: Not sure why you want to be teased a few characters only to be disappointed that they don't make the cut.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Either way, I'm hoping they don't do a trailer like that again. I guarantee you that if the Internet was as big as it was back in Brawl, there would be more fans disappointed with how Melee turned out then Brawl. We can all agree that Brawl's roster was better then Melee's, right?
Character wise, I very much disagree. If we don't look at it in how characters play (Clones and whatnot) I disagree. Melee's roster was basically perfect for the time it was released. So were it's stages. Brawl's roster could have been a lot better IMO.

I also love that trailer. You notice how everyone thought Ridley was playable? Yeah. How sad.

Brawl's trailer was cool, but Melee's was much better.

D

Deleted member

Character wise, I very much disagree. If we don't look at it in how characters play (Clones and whatnot) I disagree. Melee's roster was basically perfect for the time it was released. So were it's stages. Brawl's roster could have been a lot better IMO.

I also love that trailer. You notice how everyone thought Ridley was playable? Yeah. How sad.

Brawl's trailer was cool, but Melee's was much better.
I'd argue that Melee had the worst roster. Pichu and Dr. Mario were terrible choices for characters, the clone problem was much worse as they took up a larger percentage, were more obvious, and the clones we had could have been taken up by more worthy characters like Diddy Kong and Wario. Not saying there weren't good choices like Bowser and Mewtwo, just that I think SSB64's and Brawl's roster were better.

Also, the fact that it deceived people into think Ridley was playable is why I don't want a trailer like this for SSB4. That said, it was a very good intro.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Starphoenix: Not sure why you want to be teased a few characters only to be disappointed that they don't make the cut.
Oh don't be such a negative nancy. What I enjoyed was the cinematic value of the original Melee opening, sure it ended up being the intro. Still it was one of the best animations for the Gamecube.

It conveyed the idea that these Nintendo series were about to crossover.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
- I'd argue that Melee had the worst roster. Pichu and Dr. Mario were terrible choices for characters, the clone problem was much worse as they took up a larger percentage, were more obvious, and the clones we had could have been taken up by more worthy characters like King K. Rool and Wario. Not saying there weren't good choices like Bowser and Mewtwo, just that I think SSB64's and Brawl's roster were better.
Again, I said not looking at the clone thing. Clones were added last minute to beef the roster, and it was a good decision in Melee. Now, semi-clones were a bad decision in Brawl.

Pichu represented the Second generation, so he was an awesome choice. And Doc represtented the "puzzle" genre. Another good pick. Brawl was expected to pick up some more "slots" for a lot of Games, yet they didn't. They sort of did good in some places, and did okay in other places.

Also, the fact that it deceived people into think Ridley was playable is why I don't want a trailer like this for SSB4. That said, it was a very good intro.
Listen to what Star said.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@Oasis: I see your point but still even if the 3DS can hold it's own I still feel against the idea.

Also a black knight cinematic would be nice lol..

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Oasis: I see your point but still even if the 3DS can hold it's own I still feel against the idea.
Why? I don't see the fuss. I just think you all are being babies and whining for no reason.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Alright, well let's take a look at that

Comparison of Newcomers, Brawl- Melee
Green- Deserving
Blue- Neutral
Red- Filler/Undeserving

Melee
Bowser
Peach
Zelda

Shiek
Ganondorf
Young Link
Dr. Mario
Marth
Roy
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Pichu
Mewtwo
Falco

Brawl
Wario
Zero Suit Samus
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Diddy Kong
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf
Sonic
Snake

R.O.B.
Pit
Lucario
Captain Olimar
Ike

Toon Link
Lucas

That's how I'd rank it up.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Also a black knight cinematic would be nice lol..

If anything the wii-u version should have all the characters from the 3DS version and more.

But there is no point to that if the 3DS version can hold all the characters

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Toon Link and Pichu are definitely deserving. The only character I would argue wasn't deserving was Doctor Mario, but still, he represented a whole genre of games. I think it's crazy for you to think that Sheik is more deserving than Toon Link.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If anything the wii-u version should have all the characters from the 3DS version and more.
It kind of HAS TO since the whole idea with the 3DS version is that you can transfer over your "progress" with on character over onto the WiiU version. But, y'know, like you said they should just both have the same roster since the 3DS wouldn't have a problem handling it.

...If the idea of transferable exclusives played out, then the 3DS version would only act as a key to unlock them on the WiiU version. Ridiculous.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh absolutely. He has a lot of significance to Nintendo, way more than Ice Climbers, Pit, or even Mr. G&W.
R.O.B saved Nintendo over here in America. I'm glad someone else recognizes this!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Using the 3DS to unlock characters on the Wii-U doesn't = them not being on the wii-u. It's just a method for unlocking them.

I don't see how it's "Transferring them"

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Using the 3DS to unlock characters on the Wii-U doesn't = them not being on the wii-u. It's just a method for unlocking them.

I don't see how it's "Transferring them"
Exactly. I don't think people understand how that works. All the data for a character would have to exist on the WiiU version if you wanted to "transfer" it over from the 3DS.

It's an illusion.

LIKE POKEMON TRADING.

B3Brawler

Smash Apprentice
If nintendo introduced a USB compatible GC style controller and released it as a bundle with smash 4 I would love them forever

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
Again, I said not looking at the clone thing. Clones were added last minute to beef the roster, and it was a good decision in Melee. Now, semi-clones were a bad decision in Brawl.

Pichu represented the Second generation, so he was an awesome choice. And Doc represtented the "puzzle" genre. Another good pick. Brawl was expected to pick up some more "slots" for a lot of Games, yet they didn't. They sort of did good in some places, and did okay in other places.
Personally, I think it would have been best if they didn't add characters for the sake of bumping up the roster counts. This would have made Brawl's roster look bigger then it really does since it would be a larger jump then from the Melee not to mention prevent the clone problem from happening in the first place. Ganondorf would have received an original move set in Brawl for one and Mewtwo probably would have stayed.

Pichu was popular, I'll give you that, but he played horribly, so we should have gotten a 2nd gen Pokemon that can actually fight. Dr. Mario was a full-on clone of Mario and as such deserved the axe in Brawl. Had it not been for him planned in Brawl, we would have gotten a fifth slot for an unique character already and Lip might have gotten in Brawl, who would have likely gotten an original move set and represent the puzzle genre better.

The only bad decisions I can recall in Brawl in regards to characters is no fifth Mario slot (Dr. Mario should have never been planned), Mewtwo's removal, and too many newcomers available by default, the latter of which isn't really that bad at all (More like the neutral side of bad).

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I never really understood why they weren't a little more creative with the shameless roster boosting... Like... Wario Land Wario as a mario clone instead. Or Skull Kid with Deku Stick instead of Young Link.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
All I know is that if there is a single character that can only be played on the 3DS or if the WiiU version has a small roster so it doesn't make the 3DS one look bad, I am going to kick Sakurai's cat off a cliff. Talk about absolutely atrocious decisions. Let's hope he is smarter than that, eh?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
All I know is that if there is a single character that can only be played on the 3DS or if the WiiU version has a small roster so it doesn't make the 3DS one look bad, I am going to kick Sakurai's cat off a cliff. Talk about absolutely atrocious decisions. Let's hope he is smarter than that, eh?
Ugh I hope they don't do that if Sakurai did something like that I don't know what I would do. So about Assist Trophies, anyone else see Nintencat appearing as an AT since well you know Sakurai likes cats.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Personally, I think it would have been best if they didn't add characters for the sake of bumping up the roster counts.
But the reality of the situation is, it happens in a lot of games. So, that's that. Without the clones, Melee's roster probably wouldn't be as well represented as it is.

Pichu was popular, I'll give you that, but he played horribly, so we should have gotten a 2nd gen Pokemon that can actually fight
Again. Not talking about how characters play. Pichu was one of the best choices from the second generation. The only other super popular characters I can recall were the starters and legendaries.

Dr. Mario was a full-on clone of Mario and as such deserved the axe in Brawl. Had it not been for him planned in Brawl, we would have gotten a fifth slot for an unique character already and Lip might have gotten in Brawl, who would have likely gotten an original move set and represent the puzzle genre better.
That's probably the biggest assumption ever made. Clones exist. we get it. But again, I'm not talking about how the characters play. I'm talking about why they were chosen and what they represent. Dr. Mario didn't deserve to go onto Brawl, you're right. But you can't say he was apoor choice for a clone, when he encompassed a whole genre.

The only bad decisions I can recall in Brawl in regards to characters is no fifth Mario slot (Dr. Mario should have never been planned), Mewtwo's removal, and too many newcomers available by default, the latter of which isn't really that bad at all (More like the neutral side of bad).
These reasons alone are why the Brawl roster wasn't as good as Melee's.

Or Skull Kid with Deku Stick instead of Young Link.
But what about all of link's moves like his bombs, boomarangs, and arrows?

Barbasol

Smash Ace
But what about all of link's moves like his bombs, boomarangs, and arrows?
Deku Nut, Seed Shooter, Deku Leaf. :p Then when Brawl rolls around, gets luigified with magic.
Dunno, to me I'd rather have a unique character than a copy. Toon Link is nice, but I don't like the idea.

@nLIM

Wow, u put a lot of effort into those Yaoi pairings.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Dangit, mixing Nayru's Song and Ballad of the Windfish ios harder than I originally thought.

nLIM8d: What the heck is that supposed to be? Kudos for Slime, but non-kudos for Travis.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yo Hoots, Omega, did you guys get a chance to see this?

[COLLAPSE="Originally Posted By (See Saturos in Sig)"]Mario x Sonic
Link x Takamaru
Pikachu x Slime
Kirby x Starfy
Samus x Megaman
Fox x Saki
DK x Little Mac
Marth x Isaac
Yoshi x Muddy Mole
Ness x Mike Jones
C.Falcon x Ray
G&W x Sukapon
Ice Climbers x Duckhunt Dog
Wario x Jiro
Olimar x Tom Nook
Pit x Quote

(Just for fun)
Layton x Touchdown
Bomberman x Pulseman

I suppose you could add Snake x Ryu Hyabusa if its really necessary.[/COLLAPSE]
Those are some messed up shippings you have there

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Deku Nut, Seed Shooter, Deku Leaf. :p Then when Brawl rolls around, gets luigified with magic.
Dunno, to me I'd rather have a unique character than a copy. Toon Link is nice, but I don't like the idea.
That's a clever idea. I would have never thought of that. But, that aside, Toon Link and Young Link were better choices. Young Link represents MM and OoT which is one of the most popular and well recieved games of all time. Toon Link was a good idea just because he represents the whole "Cell Shaded" arc in LoZ. I mean, I like Majora, and I like Vaati, but they aren't the smartest picks of the bunch.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
R.O.B. Was a cool WTF character, anybody see Duck Hunt Dog as one?

Duck hunt Dog seems like the mostly like WTF retro character, I kind of want Takamaru as the new retro rep though the Sheriff would be cool too I doubt anyone would expect that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom