• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacket

The Innovator
1) Not a good reason. Mario, Luigi, DK, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Peach, Wario, Yoshi, and Toad represent the spin-offs as well, and some of them have been in more SO titles than Wallie.
2) All Wallie does is say his name and follow Wario. All Mario does is say his name, save princesses, save kingdoms, get admired by many NPC's and PC's alike, and represent the entire franchise. Big no here.
3) I'll give you this one, if you explain it further.
4) Could you give some examples of his popularity (polls and such)?

:phone:

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
I can't picture Waluigi playable in SSB4 when we have Toad & Bowser Jr who are still realistic candidates

D

Deleted member

don't know why you consider Ryu Hayabusa is a better choice
Because Ryu Hayabusa has a somewhat decent history with Nintendo with half of his games appearing on Nintendo platforms (upcoming and released) whereas there's no telling how Travis Touchdown will fare over time. He could stay on Nintendo (No More Heroes 3 may feature him again, not guarantee) or move to Nintendo's competitors platform. Plus there's that millions of gamers know who Ryu Hayabusa is whereas Travis Touchdown is obscure.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
No More Heroes 3 will not feature Travis Touchdown... i can give you the Gus Guarantee™ on that statement. Travis' story ended in Desperate Struggle. NMH3 will be a Wii U title, Suda did see new game mechanics in the new tech for a possible next title, but travis won't be a part of it.
however, he may be in the upcoming No More Heroes Mobile game (japan only)

back into indefinite hiatus for me. laterz!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't want to see Waluigi playable in Smash before I see him having a role in a real game. Even Rosalina is a better choice.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Last time I checked, Diddy, Mario Kart and Mario Tennis are all real games

Spin-off games, sure, but a poor choice of wording regardless

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah whatever. Waluigi is still not a good choice. Would you base his moves on Mario Kart or Mario Tennis? If he'd be important in any way he'd be co-starring Wario games since he appeared in Mario Tennis. And only then I'd consider him legit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, Nintendo is responsible for making this game apperantly.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I know what he meant too, Tacket, I just like to nitpick and have a little fun with my replies

Don't blame a brotha for trying to help break the stagnant pace of this thread

Anyway, I don't give a **** if we get Toad, Jr, Waluigi, or if the ****ing Koopalings are chosen to be playable, as long as they're fun to play as, then Sakurai made a good decision in my eyes

Only us forum dwellers really care about this sort of stuff, anyway

"Waluigi wasn't in Super Mario Galaxy or even Mario Kart 7 therefore I decree that he does not deserve to be in Smash"

Chill out, goddamn, Smash isn't that corporate

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1) Not a good reason. Mario, Luigi, DK, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Peach, Wario, Yoshi, and Toad represent the spin-offs as well, and some of them have been in more SO titles than Wallie.
No they don't. They all are key characters in the regular games. They're not spin-off only.

2) All Wallie does is say his name and follow Wario. All Mario does is say his name, save princesses, save kingdoms, get admired by many NPC's and PC's alike, and represent the entire franchise. Big no here.
Yeah, cause Waluigi isn't a major villain in a game starring him. He totally isn't badass on his own. Try again. He's not a damn hero, which is the key difference. He's a villain. Why the hell would he do all that?

3) I'll give you this one, if you explain it further.
Crotch chop for taunt, Tennis Racket, Golf Club, Soccer Balls, Powerful Kicks as shown from his Assist Trophy, using items via Mario Kart for specials. It doesn't take much.

4) Could you give some examples of his popularity (polls and such)?
How many polls have had him on them? Almost none. It's impossible to give you one if the poll doesn't exist. It doesn't change that he has a fanbase.

Also, multiquote me next time.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Because Ryu Hayabusa has a somewhat decent history with Nintendo with half of his games appearing on Nintendo platforms (upcoming and released) whereas there's no telling how Travis Touchdown will fare over time. He could stay on Nintendo (No More Heroes 3 may feature him again, not guarantee) or move to Nintendo's competitors platform. Plus there's that millions of gamers know who Ryu Hayabusa is whereas Travis Touchdown is obscure.
same could be said about travis. ALL of his games have been on the wii.

ninja gaiden hasn't had a game on a nintendo console in a while.

in plus it would be easier to actually put(i.e 3rd party licensing issues) him in smash bros since suda 51 WAN'T HIM IN.

in this interview he actually says he wants to put nmh3 on wii u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJyTIyFdeA

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I'm not that crazy about Waluigi, either, just saiyan that I feel people focus too much on stuff like "character chances" and making up random-*** criteria to decide who's "worthy" of getting a slot

And not enough on the "fun" aspect of speculation/early hype, nah mean?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
As prev. mentioned, that all this thread revolves around until Kuma and Beserk come around.

Only if the 3 of us were on at once :-/

Tacket

The Innovator
1. Wait, so you have to be only available in SO games to represent them? I don't think so.

2. I wasn't listing heroic things. I was listing reasons to why Mario has more of a personality than Wallie. It just so happened that they were heroic. He can still have epic personality traits, just based on being a villain (Bowser). Also, explain why he is 'badass'.

3. Most of that sounds stupid and gimmicky, IMO.

4. If he's not even listed in the polls, that truly shows that his fanbase is small.

Also, I think that some people only want Wallie in because Wario got in.
Anyone agree/disagree?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most moves of the characters in Smash are generic anyway... Sometimes it's kind of like they don't really put much effort into the fighting. But maybe I just play the game high too much...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1. Wait, so you have to be only available in SO games to represent them? I don't think so.
They cannot represent the Spin-Offs as they are all repped in the other games and rep those better. Not a good point at all. Daisy is the only one that has been in a supposedly canon game and could do the job better.

2. I wasn't listing heroic things. I was listing reasons to why Mario has more of a personality than Wallie. It just so happened that they were heroic. He can still have epic personality traits, just based on being a villain (Bowser). Also, explain why he is 'badass'.
None of those are personality traits. Being a hero is a job, not a trait. None of that makes him super interesting at all. Okay, so here's a hero. Anybody can be a damn hero. It's so common it's not special. He's notable because he's the first hero, not because he's a hero. Waluigi is badass because unlike Mario, is willing to do anything to win. The crotch chop helps. As do the Piranha Plants. He's just a rougher-edged version of the characters, and was always meant to do darker things. Likewise, this point does not help you at all. Whether or not you consider him badass doesn't change that he attempts to do actual stuff besides being a basic hero. He attempts to cheat, he attempts to play dirty, he attempts to do naughty things. Mario... doesn't do any of that. He's actually kinda plain.

3. Most of that sounds stupid and gimmicky, IMO.
I'm sorry, could you actually quote me so I don't have to review what you should've quoted? Also, all moves are a gimmick. Dur.

4. If he's not even listed in the polls, that truly shows that his fanbase is small.
That means that he hasn't had a poll. Nothing more. Try a valid point. Funny part is, every time I've seen him on a poll, he gets quite a lot of votes.

Also, I think that some people only want Wallie in because Wario got in.
Anyone agree/disagree?
I want him in because he's an interesting character and perfectly represents the spin-offs, and atleast has a real personality, something Daisy lacks, being the only other spin-off choice.

Wizard Of Seraphym

Smash Cadet
If it means anything, you could make a Waluigi poll on different smash sites (Smashboards, allisbrawl, brawlinthefamily)

But saying he has polls and not being able to show anything for it wont prove anything.

These samples comes from Wikipedia, so take it as you will:

Since his appearance in Mario Tennis, Waluigi has received mostly negative reception. In the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition book, the writer suggests that Waluigi was created only for the purpose of giving Wario a doubles' partner in Mario Tennis.[8] GameDaily ranked him the worst Mario character ever, stating that "for every likeable character there's one that continues to annoy us even years after we're done with the game they came from".[9] Kotaku editor Mike Fahey commented that Waluigi was his personal most annoying video game character.[10] GamesRadar described Waluigi as a "lame-o villain" in an otherwise great game, referencing Mario Tennis.[11] In a humour article, they list him as one of the eight characters people would never trust with their kids, describing him as a "leering, lanky, undoubtedly stinking old cretin" and a "poor man's Wario".[12] IGN editor Lucas M. Thomas discussed him as a possible, yet unlikely, candidate for a "second banana" character to be playable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, commenting that Waluigi, amongst other sidekick characters, are not well-liked.[13] IGN staff, while praising Bowser as one of the most memorable video game villains, criticized both Waluigi and Wario as being "evil twin knockoffs".[14]
Despite their negative comments for Waluigi, GameDaily ranked him in the 10th slot on GameDaily's top 10 Nintendo characters that deserve their own games list; the site explained that "he gets the shaft worse than Luigi, and should at least get his own puzzle game".[9] They also listed him as one of the top 25 video game anti-heroes, stating that it was too bad that he has never had the spotlight.[24] On top of that, they listed him as the 17th best Mario enemy.[25] Hiroyuki Takahashi, a developer for Mario Power Tennis listed him, along with his companion Wario, as his favourite character in Power Tennis, describing them both as detestable heels, adding that he likes characters with more personality.[26] GamePro listed him as the fifth skinniest video game character, describing him as one of their favourite unappreciated Nintendo characters.[27]

EDIT:

While I was looking for stuff, btw, I found an actual poll: http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/2CVBMXn/Who-is-your-favourite-Super-Mario-Character

And another poll from Gamefaqs forums for who they want to see in SSB4:

Roster:
Nintendo:
1. Mario (100%)
2. Wario (100%)
3. Zelda (100%)
4. Peach (100%)
5. Pikachu (100%)
6. Bowser (100%)
7. Kirby (100%)
8. Donkey Kong (100%)
9. Yoshi (100%)
10. Fox (100%)
11. Ganondorf (100%)
12. Luigi (97.73%)
13. Link (96.55%)
14. Isaac (95.55%)
15. Captain Falcon (94.59%)
16. Olimar (92.11%)
17. Ice Climbers (91.43%)
18. Diddy Kong (88.24%)
19. Marth (88.10%)
20. Little Mac (88.09%)
21. PIt (87.50%)
21T. Ridley (87.50%)
23. Ike (85.71%)
24. Pokemon Trainer (84.38%)
25. Falco (83.78%)
26. King K. Rool (83.33%)
27. Ness (82.50%)
28. Jigglypuff (80.49%)
29. Mewtwo (68.88%)
30. Toon Link (64.10%)
31. R.O.B. (62.86%)
31T. Lucario (62.86%)
31T. Captain Syrup (62.86%)
31T. Victini (62.86%)
35. Lip (59.46%)
36. Ray (59.38%)
37. Palutena (57.50%)
38. Medusa (55.26%)
39. Starfy (54.55%)
40. Paper Mario (53.33%)
41. Bowser Jr. (48.57%)
42. Tingle (47.37%)
43. Andy (45.95%)
44. Tom Nook (45.24%)
45. Jill Dozer (40.54%)
46. Roy (39.53%)

Alternation:
1. Ashley (37.14%)
2. Liz (36.67%)
3. Toad (32.56%)
4. Alexandra Rovias (32.26%)
5. Waluigi (28.57%)
6. Mona (27.59%)
7. Animal Crosser (25%)
8. Pichu (24.39%)
9. Mii (24.39%)
10. Kalas (19.44%)
11. Masked Man (19.05%)
12. Baby Luigi (2.17%)

Third-Party:
1. Mega Man (75.61%)
2. Sonic (71.74%)
3. Snake (67.57%)
4. Slime (41.03%)

Alternation:
1. Geno (27.91%)
2. Goemon (26.47%)
That poll is ongoing though.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Waluigi, he may not be important to the storyline, he may not be too popular, and he may not be anything but a spin off placeholder, but he definitely has a die hard fanbase. This, is true.

He isn't even a real choice to most people. Basically, Toad, Junior, and Doc are the only choices I can even see happening for the Mario franchise. If we're picking an unlikely character, let's pick someone GOOD, like Geno.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How about we just stop talking about Waluigi and move on to something else

That could work.

@Wizard: Nearly 30% isn't that bad, though. The point is that he has more than enough fans, and people would play as him. I agree he's not on the top of popularity, although that poll shouldn't have characters already playable though. Also, ever since Baby Daisy appeared, he's gotten a bit more popularity due to being the lesser of two evils.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Why in the sweet hell would anyone want Ghirahim in SSB4? Give us Demise, way more bad***, more backstory, plus
Ghirahim is actually Demise's blade

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Mario characters on my poll:

Toad (359)
Junior (295)
Paper Mario (195)
Geno/Mallow (168)
Waluigi (152)
Doc (100)

For a series that may not even get a newcomer, I would say in the only area where he has an okay holding, he falls fifth. He's being beaten by two nobodies, and a second Mario.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Wow. I'm surprised. Nobody said anything at all about my method for customizable characters.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Waluigi SUCKS in general and Sakurai isn't dumb enough to put Waluigi before Paper Mario or Toad or Bowser Jr.
WHat do you think Ryu Hayabusa's and Mewtwo's chances are like? Personally, Mewtwo at 65% and Ryu at 40%. The reason why Ryu is so high? because he has 2 new games one for 3DS and other for WiiU. He also has had a little more than half his games on Nintendo consoles

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As prev. mentioned, that all this thread revolves around until Kuma and Beserk come around.

Only if the 3 of us were on at once :-/
Don't forget Diddy Kong. We all need to be one at one point because I don't know if I can handle another Waluigi or Pokemon or representation debate.

Most moves of the characters in Smash are generic anyway... Sometimes it's kind of like they don't really put much effort into the fighting. But maybe I just play the game high too much...
What do you mean by that. Fox's moves aren't exactly easy to do in real life. I, myself, am practicing his UTilt. He's just so awesome that he makes it look effortless.

Why in the sweet hell would anyone want Ghirahim in SSB4? Give us Demise, way more bad***, more backstory, plus
Ghirahim is actually Demise's blade
Because Akuma's already in through Ganondorf. Seriously, all you would need to do is give Ganondorf a Demise alt. Debbie is easily the best Zelda villain ever and he's just too awesome to just pass up.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Waluigi SUCKS in general and Sakurai isn't dumb enough to put Waluigi before Paper Mario or Toad or Bowser Jr.
WHat do you think Ryu Hayabusa's and Mewtwo's chances are like? Personally, Mewtwo at 65% and Ryu at 40%. The reason why Ryu is so high? because he has 2 new games one for 3DS and other for WiiU. He also has had a little more than half his games on Nintendo consoles
Looks like Jill Valentine has been comfirmed. She's had like six games on Nintendo systems, and she's had two recent ones. (2011, and 2012) for the 3DS. WOO, I'm so excited to play as my favorite RE character. Owait.

Speaking of Capcom, if I had to pick one character to put in Smash, I'd pick Chun-Li.
I would actually choose Jill, if I had the choice.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Speaking of Capcom, if I had to pick one character to put in Smash, I'd pick Chun-Li.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Ghirahim Is cool in general so I want him in instead of tingle.

I made a roster fro Wii U

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Toad

Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganon
Ghirahim

Pikachu
Deoxys