• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You didn't prove any of what I said wrong. Also, I love how you skip over when I said "AT(Fighter)". You're ignoring that it only refers to the ones who can fight, like Saki and Isaac. They're more likely, due to having a starting moveset, and actually can move as well. They also were ones who didn't make it as possible character choices. So yes, they were more likely.

Toad's just popular, not more likely. Nothing stands out for him. In Brawl, that is. Nobody is saying he CAN'T get in. But nothing shows he WILL.

D

Deleted member

Cool story bro.
Like with your "Melee Pichu is Brawl Pikachu" theory, your arguments are baseless assumptions and meaningless observation formed into an inconcievable fact that you expect people to beleive.

D

Deleted member

Who are the Big 8 of Mario, and are Daisy and Waluigi one of them? If so, I'm not taking that list serious unless its being called the Big 6.

:phone:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Smash Cadet
I believe Chibi-Robo would be a fresh, new series character. Sure, the support is practically non-existent, and the games aren't the most popular, but I believe he could make a unique fighter. Just going to throw an idea out there.

Chibi-Robo would work around the gimmick of power/energy. The longer the match proceeds, the more power is drained. If too much power is drained, Chibi-Robo starts flashing red, and begins to become weaker. One of his specials could involve plugging himself into the ground and recharging power. It would work like the Pikmin pluck, but a tad slower.

Also, first post...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Scrap DK from that list, as he's no Mario character. Though Nintendo tried pushing him to that status :/

D

Deleted member

I believe Chibi-Robo would be a fresh, new series character. Sure, the support is practically non-existent, and the games aren't the most popular, but I believe he could make a unique fighter. Just going to throw an idea out there.

Chibi-Robo would work around the gimmick of power/energy. The longer the match proceeds, the more power is drained. If too much power is drained, Chibi-Robo starts flashing red, and begins to become weaker. One of his specials could involve plugging himself into the ground and recharging power. It would work like the Pikmin pluck, but a tad slower.

Also, first post...
Nailed it on the head. Unique, but not supported. Wonder why he doesn't have much support...

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
How about the dragonborn from Skyrim!?
He can have ice and fire and thunder and he can fight. He can use his sword to fight. Depending on which move you use you can use a different weapon. Each of your air moves are shouts such as whirlwind sprint for back air, thinderstorm caller for up air and down air can be force! Final smash can be you destroying the stage with a dragon and like only 4 come in and fly and they breath fire.

D

Deleted member

While we're at it, let's have Kratos from God of War!!

EDIT: Sarcasm.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And then lose badly to Link, Toon Link and Pit for shooting arrows at the knee.

First joke I ever made about this subject btw

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People keep using the terrible argument of Big 8. Donkey Kong is not a Mario character. There's only 5 big Mario characters, and 7 at most. Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Toad, Wario, and Yoshi. The last two are now their own series. There's 5 or 7, no more than that.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Anyways, Chibi Robo seems pretty interesting, granted most of what I know about him is from the Brawl speculation years ago. However, everything I saw in regards to his moveset just was a gimmick around his power cord. Maybe he can do something I'm not aware of, so who knows. I just think that there are a lot more deserving characters from other smaller franchises and there isn't enough room for even them.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Scrap DK from that list, as he's no Mario character. Though Nintendo tried pushing him to that status :/

I'm mainly basing that on Yoshi's Island DS in which those characters (except Toad) were the 7 star children. I think its best to leave him on that list.

Moving on, that Chibi Robo idea looks like it has some potential. I like it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yoshi's Island DS is one big cluster**** in Nintendo history. It's impossible that DK and Mario where babies at the same time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He's never on that list. Never was, never will be. If anything, Mario's closer to being a DK character. They're separate.

All of that stuff is CAMEOS from DK. He's not a Mario character. Remove him from the list permanently.

D

Deleted member

It's not our list to make, genius.

It's Nintendo that made it.

From the way I see it, Mario and DK are intertwined.

Mario is a DK character, DK is a Mario character.
Original characters from Mario aren't DK characters, original characters from DK aren't Mario characters.
Simple as that.

Especially considering that Donkey Kong GBA explained how Mario got to the Mushroom Kingdom...and is the first appearance of the Super Mushroom in series canon. (Not game wise, but timeline-wise.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He's still not a Mario character. He's a big 8 that often APPEAR in Mario games at best. But it's utterly idiotic to call him a Mario character when we all know he isn't.

The first game was named DONKEY KONG, not Super Mario Bros. Not an actual part of it. Never really was.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yoshi's Island DS is one big cluster**** in Nintendo history. It's impossible that DK and Mario where babies at the same time.

I know, they really did **** that up. I'll probably have to rethink things, but in the meantime I guess DK is still a part of the Mario series due to the kart/party/sports/olympic games. Otherwise SSB would be the only game in which they interact. Its whatever tbh but I'll state my reasons anyway. :/

So about that Chibi Robo recharging thing, would that restore some of its energy too or just keep it from moving sluggishly? By energy I mean going from 71% damage to 65% or something.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
Well anyway what do you guys think the custom characters will be like? I'm really interested in this topic. Will you be able to make your own move, or select pre-made moves? New characters or premade or ones that are already in the game?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I said what I could about the custom characters. Use a Mii/Polygon/Wire Frame/Alloy. Any work. Like Create-A-Wrestler, with limitations, possibly.

Also, yeah, getting angry over Shortie, who basically attacks people, doesn't help either. If they're insulting you, report it instead.

As for Yoshi's Island DS, it's a REMAKE, people. The original was Canon, not this one. Just like Super Mario 64 DS isn't the canon version.

D

Deleted member

He's still not a Mario character. He's a big 8 that often APPEAR in Mario games at best. But it's utterly idiotic to call him a Mario character when we all know he isn't.

The first game was named DONKEY KONG, not Super Mario Bros. Not an actual part of it. Never really was.
*Sighs*
Again, the series is intertwined.

Donkey Kong GBA came before Super Mario Bros. in the series timeline.
It introduced Mario to the Super Mushroom and the Mushroom Kingdom. (Fun fact: Mario was NOT the first to use a Super Mushroom in the timeline, it was DK Sr.)

So yes, DK, DK Jr., and Pauline are Mario characters. But ONLY them. Diddy and co. are not Mario characters.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Smash Cadet
Well anyway what do you guys think the custom characters will be like? I'm really interested in this topic. Will you be able to make your own move, or select pre-made moves? New characters or premade or ones that are already in the game?
Custom characters would cause a lot of problem balance wise, unless there was some sort of limit on moves, or a balance counter...I dunno. Pre-made moves sounds like it could work more, but again balance is an issue.

Curse that balance! always in the way of everything.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
I saw a nice system in DBZ Tenkaichi 3 for the wii or whatever else. You can use points to select which characters are on your team. Weaker characters cost lower points but each player uses the same amount of points to choose characters. Can we do this with moves to limit them?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
*Sighs*
Again, the series is intertwined.

Donkey Kong GBA came before Super Mario Bros. in the series timeline.
It introduced Mario to the Super Mushroom and the Mushroom Kingdom.

So yes, DK, DK Jr., and Pauline are Mario characters.
DK created the series, not Mario. Likewise, we're talking about the original Arcade version. You know, that's called Donkey Kong? Mario Bros. came after. They're not Mario characters. Pauline might be at best, but she's under the DK settings, not the other way around. History says otherwise. Mario spun off from Donkey Kong, not the other way around.

Likewise, DK still came first. NOT Mario. Hell, he wasn't even named Mario yet. Just Jumpman. The series is separate anyway. And I hope "DK GBA" isn't a remake, which almost none of those are ever canon. Also, all the games that DK appears in with Mario? Spin-offs. They're not intertwined like you think they are. Just cameos at best. Is Kirby a Zelda character because he CAMEOD in Link's Awakening? Hell no. Mario, Luigi, and Peach even made a small cameo in OOT. They aren't Zelda characters either.

They're separate series, sometimes going to to their own universe to work together/against eachother. It's called a crossover. Separate storyline and all.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Smash Cadet
I saw a nice system in DBZ Tenkaichi 3 for the wii or whatever else. You can use points to select which characters are on your team. Weaker characters cost lower points but each player uses the same amount of points to choose characters. Can we do this with moves to limit them?
So weaker moves costing less points then stronger moves? Sounds like it work well, but a lot of planning would have to go into it so that there are no unfair or unbeatable move combinations.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
So weaker moves costing less points then stronger moves? Sounds like it work well, but a lot of planning would have to go into it so that there is on unfair or unbeatable move combination.
I agree, I hate when people exploit the game to have an unfair advantage. I also wasn't a fan of wavedashing in melee because the game wasn't meant to be played like that, but it's fine.. Not sure how they could rate moves anyway though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So weaker moves costing less points then stronger moves? Sounds like it work well, but a lot of planning would have to go into it so that there are no unfair or unbeatable move combinations.
Why do we need this? They're never going to be allowed in competitive tournaments where it matters. Nobody is really going to care if you buff up your guy. It's just casual play with this.

Likewise, it seems silly to put more into it than just allowing moves. I mean, take Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. It had no restrictions whatsoever, and nothing bad came out of it. People had fun. There is no way to balance them even with that. As long as you can choose your own moves, it's impossible to do so. It's better off letting it be up to the player to find balance themselves.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wow this thread moves fast, I leave for 20 min, and we've already gone through 3 pages.

Also, first post...
Nice to meet ya. I love your username. Robotnik > Eggman :cool:

Chibi Robo definitly deserved more attention than it got in Brawl. It should have been an AT or have at least have gotten some music.

I've read all that I'm willing to.
Agreed. It's 1am here anyway. Later.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'm not exactly sure what the point of the whole "big 8" discussion is, but I will comment on the DK as a Mario character thing. DK is in all the Mario party games and stuff, HOWEVER, fans of Donkey Kong as a FRANCHISE are fans of DKC, which has nothing to do with Mario. If this argument is about Toad(Is it?), I think people are getting a little too worked up about him. He's already represented in Peach's neutral B. I think that accurately represents him as a servant of the Princess literally being used as a shield. What more do you want from him? To ride around in a gokart and have a bunch of fake made up moves?

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
To ride around in a gokart and have a bunch of fake made up moves?
I actually find that quite intriguing being the Mario Kart fan I am. :awesome:

Besides, it's not like the majority of the Mario characters in Smash have about 60% of their movesets made up anyways. Again, Mario characters lack detail due to their simplistic characteristics. Besides, Toad has moveset potential judging by the games he was playable in. He also has potential to bringing something new to Smash.

If Sakurai can make R.O.B look interesting with a moveset then I'm sure that he could make interesting movesets for just about anyone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I
If Sakurai can make R.O.B look interesting with a moveset then I'm sure that he could make interesting movesets for just about anyone.
To be fair, there were a few that he thought couldn't have them. Before Melee, anyway.

I do hope it changes, really. Waluigi, Paper Mario, Toad, Bowser Jr.(with or without Shadow Mario), Geno, Mallow, Fawful, all of them can have great original movesets. Same with Impa, Ganondorf(>_<), and Toon Link/Young Link. Etc.

While anyone can be a clone, nobody has to be. Although I really question how different the Metroid Hunters would be from the original. I know Dark Samus even fought differently, but other than "more weight, has more deadly versions of this attack", the only thing I could see with a Hunter would to use the other moves Samus didn't, like the Ice Beam.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
WELL thanks to a few crybabies, I now have to watch my mouth, you jerks. Notice I won't even say *****es in large font anymore?

I just want you to know, I will miss being mean. ERG. How tragic.

Anyways, since the poll reached it's first 100 votes, I'll be releasing some goodies for everyone.

Also, glad to see Hoots around. You're a good cat.

D

Deleted member

DK created the series, not Mario. Likewise, we're talking about the original Arcade version. You know, that's called Donkey Kong? Mario Bros. came after. They're not Mario characters. Pauline might be at best, but she's under the DK settings, not the other way around. History says otherwise. Mario spun off from Donkey Kong, not the other way around.

Likewise, DK still came first. NOT Mario. Hell, he wasn't even named Mario yet. Just Jumpman. The series is separate anyway. And I hope "DK GBA" isn't a remake, which almost none of those are ever canon. Also, all the games that DK appears in with Mario? Spin-offs. They're not intertwined like you think they are. Just cameos at best. Is Kirby a Zelda character because he CAMEOD in Link's Awakening? Hell no. Mario, Luigi, and Peach even made a small cameo in OOT. They aren't Zelda characters either.

They're separate series, sometimes going to to their own universe to work together/against eachother. It's called a crossover. Separate storyline and all.
I meant to say DK GB (or DK '94), which is a canon game.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(Game_Boy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoJOBUdL9u8
This is the final boss, which is DK Sr. hopped up on Super Mushrooms. After you beat him, they're in the Mushroom Kingdom, and Mario goes Super Mario for the first time in canon.

And it's one thing to say that DK's not a Mario character. Now you're saying that DK is in a whole different universe. Now THAT is utter crap. While they may have seperate series, Mario and Donkey Kong reside in the same universe. So does Wario (although Wario travels into different worlds constantly...).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And then Donkey Kong goes to his own universe after that. They have portals for a reason. DK Island isn't part of the Mario universe. Likewise, that would mean that Mario is part of the Dk Universe, not the other way around.

The first actual game started either in Brooklyn or a separate original universe where DK would've still resided in, making DK Island somewhere else. They're in completely different worlds. They're not together. Nothing specifies that whatsoever. Is it that hard to believe that they went to their own completely different worlds anyway? And that DK and friends visit time to time because of rivalries?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I would appreciate it greatly if all this hostility built up among some of you could drop 20 notches or so. It is definitely possible to have a discussion without dropping negative names on each other or calling their points stupid. I can't stress it enough, but if you have a problem with a user, which causes you to post in a negative way, it would probably be a good idea to ignore list that user.

Infractions handed out, knock it off.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
[COLLAPSE="Top 50 Roster~"]Super Mario
• Mario
• Luigi
• Peach
• Bowser
• Toad
• Yoshi

WarioWare/Land
• Wario

Donkey Kong Country
• Donkey Kong
• Diddy Kong
• King K. Rool
• Dixie Kong

Legend Of Zelda
• Link
• Zelda / Sheik
• Ganondorf
• Toon Link

Kirby Superstar
• Kirby
• King Dedede
• Meta Knight
• Bandana Dee

Pokemon
• Pikachu
• Jigglypuff
• Pokemon Trainer (Kanto)
• Lucario
• Mewtwo
• Zoroark

Metroid
• Samus / ZSS
• Ridley

StarFox
• Fox
• Falco
• Wolf
• Krystal

F-Zero
• Captain Falcon
• Samurai Goroh

Fire Emblem
• Marth
• Ike

Mother
• Ness
• Lucas

Kid Icarus
• Pit
• Medusa
• Palutena

Smaller Franchises
• Ice Climbers
• Game & Watch
• Olimar
• ROB
• Isaac
• Little Mac
• Saki

Third Party Characters
• Sonic
• Snake
• Megaman[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Newcomer Top 50 Tier list"]

A Tier Newcomers~

1. King K. Rool
2. Ridley
3. Isaac
4. Mewtwo

B Tier Newcomers~
5. Little Mac
6. Krystal
7. Medusa
8. Toad
9. Megaman

C Tier Newcomers~
10. Saki
11. Palutena
12. Samurai Goroh
13. Bandana Dee
14. Dixie Kong
15. Zoroark
16. Roy
17. Junior
18. Paper Mario
19. Ghirahim
20. Takamaru

D Tier Newcomers~
21. Victini
22. Claus / Masked Man
23. Ashley
24. Chrome
25. Shulk
26. Geno/Mallow
27. Starfy
28. Banjo and Kazooie
29. Black Shadow

E Tier Newcomers~
30. Caeda
31. Waluigi
32. Sukapon
33. Tom Nook
34. Impa
35. Mii
36. ~ No Third Party Option ~
37. Professor Layton
38. Deoxys
39. Lip
40. Captain Syrup
41. Tingle
42. Ray MK
43. Meowth
44. Balloon Fighter
45. Pichu / Bros
46. Majora / Skull Kid
47. Tetra
48. Plusle and Minun
49. Anthony Higgs
50. Lyn
[/COLLAPSE]

Here ya go~

Also, I feel as though I may have skipped over someone while figuring the votes out, if you notice someone, tell me.

D

Deleted member

And then Donkey Kong goes to his own universe after that. They have portals for a reason. DK Island isn't part of the Mario universe. Likewise, that would mean that Mario is part of the Dk Universe, not the other way around.

The first actual game started either in Brooklyn or a separate original universe where DK would've still resided in, making DK Island somewhere else. They're in completely different worlds. They're not together. Nothing specifies that whatsoever. Is it that hard to believe that they went to their own completely different worlds anyway? And that DK and friends visit time to time because of rivalries?
"The Mushroom Kingdom, Dark Land, and various other lands and kingdoms associated with the Mushroom Kingdom, such as Dinosaur Land, the Beanbean Kingdom, and Sarasaland, all exist on the Mushroom World; and while it has never been made explicit, it is highly likely that locations from closely related series (such as the Donkey Kong and WarioWare series) also exist on the Mushroom World."

Are you going to tell me that Diamond City is in another dimension too?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"The Mushroom Kingdom, Dark Land, and various other lands and kingdoms associated with the Mushroom Kingdom, such as Dinosaur Land, the Beanbean Kingdom, and Sarasaland, all exist on the Mushroom World; and while it has never been made explicit, it is highly likely that locations from closely related series (such as the Donkey Kong and WarioWare series) also exist on the Mushroom World."

Are you going to tell me that Diamond City is in another dimension too?
Diamond City looks a lot like it's in the real world, not part of the fantasy world that houses the Mushroom Kingdom.

Likewise, show me where it says that. Please. Also, if they don't say it directly, and it's only SUGGESTED that they haven't decided yet by your quote alone.

Highly likely =/= is. Neither of us are really correct, as there's no final statement on it. All it means is that DK Island COULD be a part of that some world, not that it really is.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
the mario world isn't even consistent within ITSELF. It's not even meant to make sense ir link together. It could even be argued that each separate game series has its own unique canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom