• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Sakurai makes Old Snake and Classic Sonic their OWN characters, let alone making them clones, then I'm gonna have a few choice words for Sakurai
Classic Sonic doesn't even speak in Sonic Generations. Olimar may be silent, but Classic Sonic may be overdoing it with the silent characters.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Not really, Classic is Silent in all his games.

Save for the "YEAH!" for Sonic CD's 1-up.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Slime IS the mascot of Dragon Quest, and it has made crossover appearances on some Mario spin-offs too; namely, Mario Sports Mix, Fortune Street, and the Japan only Itadaki Street DS. If Slime can compete is sports, think about what it could do in a fight.
Quote from Sakurai
1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.
2. The character must be unique.
3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
4. They must contribute to the game balance.
Slime fails #3. He doesn't fit because the character doesn't have arms or legs. He can work in a sports title, but not Smash. To make it clear, here is an interpretation from another Smashboards poster

The character obviously has to be able to fit into the framework of how smash works, obviously Pac-Man and L Block would not work. (My examples, not his.)
Sakurai mentioned Capcom characters having the possibility of getting in. I say maximum of two. Ryu and Megaman.
Actual quote
I can’t say that it’s entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros. The big problem, though, comes from the idea of trying to get characters from a completely different universe to fit with the style that has been dictated by Nintendo’s characters in a fighting game. In fact, I actually think it’s a miracle that we got Smash Bros. and all the Nintendo characters to work together in the first place. Especially when you bring Pokemon into the mix and a lot of the complications that are caused by that being an almost completely different entity on its own, it’s really something. So this is something that obviously will come up more as we get started on the new Smash Bros. development, but keeping those things in mind I think is important.
The interviewer could have asked for Samurai Pizza Cats and got the same answer. He is saying more that it is a maybe, but notes that not only is this a Nintendo fighting game but also how hard it is to try and just plop third party characters in. Yet people here are putting 5 of them on their roster.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toon Sheik is Tetra? Wouldn't it be weird for a pirate to fight like a ninja? Aren't pirates and ninjas like natural enemies? :awesome:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Someone has been using the info thread. :awesome:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I fail to see how Slime wouldn't fit into the smash universe, to each his own I suppose.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@SmashChu: At least I kept the 3rd party amount on my roster input to "4". However, none of the characters involve Capcom; I'm at a neutral state with Mega Man, so whether or not he gets in is not something that I'm concerned with.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I fail to see how Slime wouldn't fit into the smash universe, to each his own I suppose.
I guess it's beause he's a giant tear-shaped blob with no arms or legs. So says above, anyways.

I think it'd be awesome if Black Mage made it in as a newcomer. Possible? Yeah. Mario Hoops 3-on-3 proves it, in a way.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toon Sheik is Tetra? Wouldn't it be weird for a pirate to fight like a ninja? Aren't pirates and ninjas like natural enemies? :awesome:
Would've made sence if we got a Ninja Ship instead of a Pirate Ship stage.

Also, ninjas are overrated. Pirates are the real bad assess.

:phone:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I sincerely hope you don't get banned, talk about some much needed comic relief.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I pick Slime mainly because I don't want Geno, Sora, and Cloud in Smash. It helps that Slime has had several crossovers with Mario. Personally I would like Yangus from Dragon Quest VIII but he's got no chance... so Slime it is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Geno is the only one of those three that has a chance for Smash anyway.

Cloud has no major Nintendo appearances. He was a short cameo.

Sora has Disney issues.

Slime, if Toad and Animal Crosser are any indication, may not be chooseable due to lack of things he can do.(which is not true, but having no limbs is a bit of a problem)

What is the problem with Geno anyway? So he's a Third Party Mario Character. ...And? Likewise, I wouldn't mind a SE non-Mario character. I'd say Black Mage and Geno for my choices.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
>_>

<_<

Hey Star, is Dragon Quest a good series? I've never played it before.
I like it, obviously, but I am kind of biased since I am a large RPG fan. Dragon Quest as a series is one of the best. It is a different feel than Final Fantasy since a lot of the game revolves around a kind of old time pseudo-European charm. The best one that is likeliest the easiest to find would probably be Dragon Quest V for the DS. That is my favorite Dragon Quest. If you have a PS2 you can also look for Dragon Quest VIII, such a fantastic game. Really though I'd just go to Gamestop and see if you can find used copies of the Dragon Quest trilogy (IV, V, and VI) for the DS. If you manage to find them all you couold probably snag them all for about $45 total. It would be worth it. Then you will see why I think Dragon Quest would be such a good fit for a crossover with Super Smash Bros.

New Super Mario Bros. Mii would be such a cheap move, lol. But you KNOW it'd work. It's a fun game, it's Mario at launch... It can only be a good move despite how ridiculously obvious and easy a move it would be. I would be pretty excited for Pikmin 3, actually. That tablet seems like it would work really well for that game. It would also be a graphically impressive game.

WHICH IS GOOD, because the WiiU definitely needs a strong launch so people don't feel like they would need to pass it up and save their money for Microsoft and Sony's consoles. Seriously, Nintendo should just stick a little pamphlet in the WiiU's box saying "DON'T WORRY. SMASH BROS. IS ON THE WAY."
Exactly, why would they not follow through with a New Super Mario Bros. Mii? Both games in the series have been some of the best selling for their respective system, it is a game people will want a system for, and I would not see such a game taking too long to make if they choose to use the framework of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but with higher quality assets.

Speaking of Saki is Sin & Punishment a good game? I was thinking of buying it on the VC
Yes it is, but I will warn you, it can be pretty challenging.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess in a way, Slime not having any limbs can be an issue. But even so, it can hold a dodgeball, so it's capable of holding items. It's probably Slime's movement that may be a challenge.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Geno is a poor choice for a Mario rep AND a Square Enix rep. His biggest role was in only one Mario game... 16 years ago. His biggest role was in only one Square Enix game... 16 years ago. He had only one small cameo in another Mario game... 9 years ago. He simply doesn't compare with Toad in terms of overall importance and relevance to the Mario series... nor to Slime, the mascot of one of Square Enix's two flagship franchises.

Oh, and to someone who said Pac-Man can't fit in Smash due to lack of limbs. That's not true... Pac-Man does have limbs... go play one of those Pac-Man World games.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I guess in a way, Slime not having any limbs can be an issue. But even so, it can hold a dodgeball, so it's capable of holding items. It's probably Slime's movement that may be a challenge.
That is the funny thing. Since I've played Mario Sports Mix and have at least seen enough of the Dragon Quest Heroes games it actually would not be that hard. Yeah if I had not have played those games I would probably agree with everyone else that it is a stupid idea, but that is not the case. Here is what I know Slime can do, what I call the essential functions of Super Smash Bros.

Hold items? Check.
Throw items? Check.
Lift heavy items (crates, barrels, people)? Check [Rocket, from Rocket Slime, lifts heavy boulders and crates in that game.]
Hold onto ledges? Check.
Swing items? Check. [In Rocket Slime there is a Slime that can hold a sword.]
Attack enemies physically? Check.

The only thing he has never demonstrated is the ability to grab people. Even then with enough creativity that is not an issue. I have always thought that Slime could wrap around the enemy, and pressing A would have him constrict the opponent. From there he would do things like unraveling the character like a top, forming under them and lifting them atop his head to toss, stretching out and slingshotting them into the sky, and so on.

At the end of the day Slime is a lot more capable then he is credited. At the same time I think he could be an extraordinarily fun and unique character. It is a shame people cannot look at the material already out there and see that. That is what seperates him from Mr. Saturn and Goomba.

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
The only thing he has never demonstrated is the ability to grab people.
If he can grab a ball in sports mix, he can do that.
Anyways, awesome. I think slime is a great choice, and people always say he's a bad choice because he ain't got limbs. Now they see he's a very nice choice and would be unique to smash.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If he can grab a ball in he can do that.
True. Actually now that I remember Rocket Slime he is able to grab the enemy characters in that game. Rocket is able to grab the Platypunks, platypus looking mafia like enemies, and lift them atop his head. So technically he is able to grab people and characters. I guess I just like my idea of having him wrap around opponents, but still, point is he can.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ensuring all of Slime's attacks LOOK different enough might be an argument, but even then it's kind of weak. Like, can't have his jab look the same as his grab.

ALSO, even though this is too many characters, I'm fairly confident there's not a character on here that WON'T be playable. They're all good choices. If I had to, I would cut it down by six characters at the most, but which ones I pick would probably be up in the air depending on how I feel at the time.

Now wait a minute. That's not what I meant. UH, while I don't think all of these characters will be playable, I think the final roster will not have characters not already on this image. Something like that.

yani

Smash Lord
Thanks for your input on Sin & Punishment Star, I do enjoy a challenge

@My noob picture skills

I downloaded GIMP but it seems a bit complex. I messed around with paint and I can probably get it done with that, but how can I get a bunch of those small good roster pics? Sorry for being a pain

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ensuring all of Slime's attacks LOOK different enough might be an argument, but even then it's kind of weak. Like, can't have his jab look the same as his grab.

ALSO, even though this is too many characters, I'm fairly confident there's not a character on here that WON'T be playable. They're all good choices. If I had to, I would cut it down by six characters at the most, but which ones I pick would probably be up in the air depending on how I feel at the time.

They can, you'd be surprised how varied his movements are in Mario Sports Mix, which is what I am basing much of my argument on right now because I am personally playing that at the moment and can see how Slime physically attacks characters. Not to mention Slime also has the ability to summon other members of the Slime family, that is a staple in the Dragon Quest series. Between that and some of his magical abilites there is not reason Slime could not have a strong moveset besides sheer laziness. Since obviously Square Enix would be the ones implementing him I would not be too worried about that happening. They are the ones who implemented him into Mario Sports Mix I'm sure they could do it for Super Smash Bros.

Roster looks fine to me. Just do not agree with four Donkey Kong characters and three Kid Icarus characters.

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
Ok let me see ( my opinions a knowledge)

Toad- GOOD
2 DK characters is too much.
Ghirahim is good
Takamaru is good
Ridley- Good
Both medusa and palutena isn't good. We might not even get 1 kid Icarus rep, and if we will, it will only be one of them not both.
Krystal good
Goroh good
seems wierd having mewtwo AND lucario AND zoroark, but that's just me.
Roys cool.
Little Mac, saki, issac and shulk is good
Mega man is good

Overall, it's pretty good, Maybe cut 3 characters to make it 50, which is a good number. I suggest cutting 1 DK character, 1 Kid icarus character, and 1 pokemon.

:phone:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Ok ._.' Here we go...

Mario Series:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad
~
Donkey Kong Series:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
~
Kirby Series:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Adeleine
~
LoZ Series:
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Gannondorf
Young Link
~
Pokemon Series:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
1st-3rd Gen trainer, Typhlosion, Grovyle, and Raichu
Lucario
Victini
~
Yoshi Series:
Yoshi
Baby Bowser
~
Kid Icarus:
Pit
Paultalina (?)
~
Earthbound:
Ness
Lucas
~
Star Fox:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
~
Metroid series:
Samus/ZSamus
Ridley
~
Wario series:
Wario
Kat and Ana
~
Fire Emblem series:
Marth
Ike
Roy
~
One-Character Series:
Ice Climbers
G&W
Captain Falcon
Olimar
ROB
Issac
Saki
Lip
~
Third Parties:
Sonic
Black Mage
Mega Man

Don't stab me ._.'

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
They can, you'd be surprised how varied his movements are in Mario Sports Mix, which is what I am basing much of my argument on right now because I am personally playing that at the moment and can see how Slime physically attacks characters. Not to mention Slime also has the ability to summon other members of the Slime family, that is a staple in the Dragon Quest series. Between that and some of his magical abilites there is not reason Slime could not have a strong moveset besides sheer laziness. Since obviously Square Enix would be the ones implementing him I would not be too worried about that happening. They are the ones who implemented him into Mario Sports Mix I'm sure they could do it for Super Smash Bros.

Roster looks fine to me. Just do not agree with four Donkey Kong characters and three Kid Icarus characters.
It's too bad he's discounted for being "just a blob" sometimes. Really, that's what makes him so neat. He's a character without a rigidly defined shape, so his method of attacks could vary greatly. That's even without magic or summons or WHAT HAVE YOU.

And he could have a Metal Slime palette swap. Yehs.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's too bad he's discounted for being "just a blob" sometimes. Really, that's what makes him so neat. He's a character without a rigidly defined shape, so his method of attacks could vary greatly. That's even without magic or summons or WHAT HAVE YOU.

And he could have a Metal Slime palette swap. Yehs.
Yes, all of his Slime colors can be taken from the game.

Color 1: Standard blue
Color 2: Red, She-Slime
Color 3: Green, Liquid Slime
Color 4: White
Color 5: Spotted, yellow w/ black spots, Spotted Slime
Color 6: Metallic, Metal Slime

If people are hung up on having a generic Slime as a character just imagine it being Rocket from the Dragon Quest Heroes series. That is a specific Slime who is the hero (obvious by the name).

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm not sure why folks are so strung up over certain inclusions.

Even you Starphoenix, there's some thought process behind barring DK four selections.

Its such irritating business listening to everyone's roster picks and bickering over what they'd prefer in relation to another's choices.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kinda actually yes. Even I am flexible with my want for Impa.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Don't be WEAK, N. If you want to be STRONG, you stick by your CONVICTIONS. No wavering with others' wishes.

Also I totally forgot to change Isaac's icon.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Honestly I'm not sure why folks are so strung up over certain inclusions.

Even you Starphoenix, there's some thought process behind barring DK four selections.

Its such irritating business listening to everyone's roster picks and bickering over what they'd prefer in relation to another's choices.
I'm not strung up on anything I just don't see it happening is all. It is like when I see people throw in a bunch of smaller series into the mix, I don't see it happening. Is Donkey Kong deserving of it? Probably. Will it happen? I don't think so. That is not to say it won't, but in my minds eye I just can't see it happening.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That's just the thing, folks throw around words like deserving and the premise of it all is such hypocrisy.

You suggest how Slime is capable, that should be the end of the story. Nothing in your argument should refer to how Nintendo's relations to his company is going. Its meaningless.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Awh yeah, look at that. Refresh the page and my Isaac icon loses its beard. It's unfortunate really, but also magical. Only my strength alone could work such a miracle.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That's just the thing, folks throw around words like deserving and the premise of it all is such hypocrisy.

You suggest how Slime is capable, that should be the end of the story. Nothing in your argument should refer to how Nintendo's relations to his company is going. Its meaningless.
...And I didn't. I simply said "I don't think so". That is different than saying "they won't make it in" or "such and such series does not deserve another character." I make it quite clear that my opinions are my opinions and nothing more. If I am basing something off of something more solid I let it be known, I always let it be known where I'm coming from. As far as Slime that is exactly what I did, talk about his capability. I did not go into some of the points I have in the past, since that is not my intention, only saying he can perform the basic functions of Smash. Tis all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom