• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurikan

Smash Apprentice
sigh....F*** double characters for now.....

topic change...

what do you guys feel about tag team mode?

the kind thats like this.

either

A. lets say there are two players vs two others, it starts with one on one. after one ko's his/her team mate takes place. it can even be more than 4 players online since there is only 2 fighting on screen.

B. lets say there is two on two tag team match. it starts with one on one of course and through time or mabe even a fill meter you can switch with your partner at anytime.

C. heres the smash bros way of doing it..

UNLEASH MODE

the objective is to go to the opponents side of the stage where you find your partner in a cage.

you must then damage the cage enough to unleash your partner and together defeat the opponent or opponents

of course to prevent both players from just going straight to the other side and unleash their partners, the cages will sometimes move around the boards and/or will move away from the board completly at random.

it could act very similar to smash balls accept it takes alot more damage to unleash.

D

Deleted member

Tag team modes work for other games, but would not work for Smash, to be honest.

Although, TMNT Smash-Up had a tag-team mode, and it is similar to Smash...

D

Deleted member

which is why i suggested unleash mode....so it can have a smash bros feeling .....did you even read my whole post.:glare:
I did. :glare:

I didn't like it.

@Metal: I fail to see why, other than the damn Rabbids.
Sure, it isn't as fluid as Smash, but it's nowhere near a **** game. That's for games like Superman 64. It's a good game in it's own right.

Shurikan

Smash Apprentice
I did. :glare:

I didn't like it.
:glare:

oh well:bee:

but your right it is more of a street fighter type of game mode...i just wanted something that a whole team of like 10 people can get in on.

and i wanted more veriety for game modes. and chooseing game modes is an option. like special brawl...i hate it...but doesnt mean i have to play it. its just there for those who do choose to play it.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Eh, I haven't played it in a while so maybe it isn't all that bad. I had high hopes for it 'cause I love TMNT so maybe I'm just still bitter

D

Deleted member

Eh, I haven't played it in a while so maybe it isn't all that bad. I had high hopes for it 'cause I love TMNT so maybe I'm just still bitter
That's usually the case with TMNT fans.
Although, it could be the fact that I'm not a huge TMNT nut (I'm a fan, but I don't nerd about it like I do Sonic and now recently, Samurai 7.) that makes me more accepting of it.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Smash Cadet
I can actually see a tag team mode working very well. Just something like Mortal Kombat. 2v2, with partners switching out.

Actually, me and my cousins made stages in Brawl for tag team. One person would stay in an underground tunnel until the other calls to switch out. It was awesome, and insanely fun.

D

Deleted member

@GoldenYuiitusin: I like your idea for a Chrome/Liz tag-team. It would be an unique addition that I would support and prevents an Ike 2.0 addition.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Food for thought:
Actually, what really brought about the Snake character was from a conversation I was having back when I was developing the Smash Bros. game for GameCube when Hideo Kojima phoned me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game, saying please, put him in there, I want him in there!

But at that time we were already deep in development and I was thinking I wasn't able to get him in there and that we'd probably be making another Smash Bros. game afterward, so I kind of gave up on the idea and said it's too bad you hadn't brought this up earlier. And that was kind of the end of the story. But when this project came up, because Mr Kojima had contacted me, we reinitiated talks and managed to put Snake in this time.

It's not so much a corporate level discussion but really more on a personal level between myself and Mr Kojima, but obviously a lot of people have been interested in the introduction of other characters in the Smash Bros. games, and Sonic has been brought up many, many times. Part of it is you have to have someone you can trust to take care of your character and do your character good, so we're looking at various possibilities. There are probably possibilities for other third-party characters as well, and it may be that even now there are corporate discussions going on at a high level about what characters to include, but maybe we'll talk to you about that a little bit later.

Right now Snake is the only third-party character that has been confirmed for Super Smash Bros., but I think because we've announced Snake is in Super Smash Bros. that might open up opportunities for other third-party characters to also be included.

But more than anything it's not just about having a character, but about having a character that's going to be fun to have in there.
Oh, and Shigeru Miyamoto gets WHATEEEEVER he wants.

Nintendo: Who would be the character you'd most like to see in Super Smash Bros. in the future?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well if there was such a character I would just put them in this version. It's difficult finding the right balance. Everyone has their own opinions about what characters they'd like to see, so that's why I'll be trying to gather as much information as I can from people in terms of what direction to go in.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Before it comes up, and I'm pretty Sure it will

[COLLAPSE="Revised"]

This was created in due response to this notion that a Diddy + Dixie combo character would take after the Ice Climbers. Usually discussed in the vein that they would inherit the IC's flaws if they were implemented. I'd like to reassure you that it doesn't have to function the same way. There's a way to make this duo distinct, retain Diddy's Brawl moveset properties, and not infringe on a Dixie's potential to be unique (aka not a clone).

Please consider my points with sincerity, I am more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

Combo Characters We know and Love

With this formula, yes Dixie would follow Diddy much like nana follows popo , but notice how the partner has never been an active part in the classic DKC games. The partner is shadowed out, meaning that the character doesn't perform unless called upon. This unlike, the IC's who both attack in the same stroke, Nana can act on her own by design.

Choosing your Active Member

For sake of avoiding overcomplexity Diddybe the leader by default, but he could be switched out in game through Down B.

A switch like this one is something smash hasn't implemented as of yet (maybe due to technical difficulties or something else): it would actually be an attack. Ideally there would be a counter to limit how frequent you can switch to the other character(perhaps 5-7 seconds). Becuse this is actually an attack technique, the hitbox of the current character and the one being switched in, is LIVE. You can hit, but you can also be hit, use it wisely.

Who's Move was it anyway?

Using the combo, Diddy and Dixie Kong would have access to their special piggyback motion using neutral B. In this form you are slightly heavier and don't revert to the diddy/dixie moveset until you either dismantel or toss the character. For vanilla Diddy this move would be in lieu of his peanut popper, likewise Dixie's neutral special would be replaced.

The move would work much like Donkey Kong's F-Throw, the combo would be able to toss one another in any direction by holding B and angling the analog stick. To suffice for their inability to acces their respective recovery specials, the technique would function like it does in their game. Toss your parter towards any higher platforms and the player will pulled (by some strange invisible thread) toward the partner.

The best thing I can relate this to off the top of my head is Lucario's recovery: you can swerve the character in circular motions.

This would be the only technique that would heavily resemble the IC's, but in Diddy/Dixie's defense, the technique originated from their games.

I think I like vanilla best

In the other manner, such that the player would rather have Diddy's peanut popper and banana's, a player simply would select Diddy (or Dixie) from the character selection menu. This is similar to Zelda/Shiek and the Pokemon Trainer.

If you forget, a nifty little failsafe would be readily available. A De-sync may occur in the unfortunate event that the player 'accidentally' throws their partner off the edge. Certainly the loss of the partner would leave the player without two special moves (nuetral and down), so to compensate, the game would return the standalone moveset to the player.

Maybe so, maybe no?

To regain the partner play, the player need only press and hold a move like 'B' in the time frame between the partner falling to their 'death' and about half the time it takes to recover a lost stock (post mort).

I Imagine that a fancy little DK barrel will pop up during the post mort time period. (like it happens during the difficult KRool Boss battles). The player could ignore it and it will blink away, or they can bust out their partner by tapping B.

Reserved for DIXIE!

The only tedious portion to this style is the event that a player simply wants to startout with Dixie heading the combo, this could be easily compensated if the player holds a combination of buttons at the start of the match (much in the way that Zero Suit Samus can be accessed from the get go).

Fin

There you have it! In the end, we get a new character, Diddy get's a few moveset tweaks, perhaps some organic remodeling here and there, and the Combo has its own authentic flare. As I mentioned, this is based on standalone play which means that you have access to the character (Diddy or Dixie) in their pure form. It wouldn't be modeled with the emphasis on their duality. Anything that involves "the combo" is simply realted to the actuall moves that come with the combo.

I find this setup to be a very proper throwback to the DKC's partner system, which is of the most distinct of the old school combo characters.[/COLLAPSE]
Might be late, kinda got into the revisions.

D

Deleted member

@GoldenYuiitusin: I like your idea for a Chrome/Liz tag-team. It would be an unique addition that I would support and prevents an Ike 2.0 addition.
Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Liz a magic user and a healer? Or has nothing been shown of her yet?
EDIT: Because if she is, it could make a character than can heal themselves. (Which may not be "tournament friendly")

Shurikan

Smash Apprentice

[COLLAPSE="Revised"]

This was created in due response to this notion that a Diddy + Dixie combo character would take after the Ice Climbers. Usually discussed in the vein that they would inherit the IC's flaws if they were implemented. I'd like to reassure you that it doesn't have to function the same way. There's a way to make this duo distinct, retain Diddy's Brawl moveset properties, and not infringe on a Dixie's potential to be unique (aka not a clone).

Please consider my points with sincerity, I am more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

With this formula, yes Dixie would follow Diddy much like nana follows popo , but notice how the partner has never been an active part in the classic DKC games. The partner is shadowed out, meaning that the character doesn't perform unless called upon. This unlike, the IC's who both attack in the same stroke, Nana can act on her own by design.

Without changing anything from the Selection screen, Diddy would remain the leader unless switched through a Down B.

The switch is something smash hasn't implemented as of yet (mayve due to technical difficulties or something else): it would actually be an attack. Ideally there would be a counter to limit how frequent you can switch to the other character(perhaps 5-7 seconds). Becuse this is actually an attack technique, the hitbox of the current character and the one switch in, is LIVE. You can hit, but you can also be hit, use it wisely.

Using the combo, Diddy and Dixie Kong would have access to their special piggyback motion using neutral B. In this form you are slightly heavier and don't revert to the diddy/dixie moveset until you either dismantel or toss the character. For vanilla Diddy this move would be in lieu of his peanut popper, likewise Dixie's neutral special would be replaced.

The move would work much like Donkey Kong's F-Throw, the combo would be able to toss one another in any direction by holding B and angling the analog stick. To suffice for their inability to acces their respective recovery specials, the technique would function like it does in their game. Toss your parter towards any higher platforms and the player will pulled (by some strange invisible thread) toward the partner.

The best thing I can relate this to off the top of my head is Lucario's recovery: you can swerve the character in circular motions.

This would be the only technique that would heavily resemble the IC's, but in Diddy/Dixie's defense, the technique originated from their games.

In the other manner, such that the player would rather have Diddy's peanut popper and banana's, a player simply would select Diddy (or Dixie) from the character selection menu. This is similar to Zelda/Shiek and the Pokemon Trainer.

If you forget, there would be a nifty little failsafe would exist too. A De-sync may occur in the unfortunate event that the player 'accidentally' throws their partner off the edge. Certainly the loss of the partner would leave the player without two special moves (nuetral and down), so to compensate, the game would return the standalone moveset to the player.

Maybe so, maybe no?

To regain the partner play, the player need only press and hold a move like 'B' in the time frame between the partner falling to their 'death' and about half the time it takes to recover a lost stock (post mort).

I Imagine that a fancy little DK barrel will pop up during the post mort time period. (like it happens during the difficult KRool Boss battles). The player could ignore it and it will blink away, or they can bust out their partner by tapping B.

Reserved for DIXIE!

The only tedious portion to this style is the event that a player simply wants to startout with Dixie heading the combo, this could be easily compensated if the player holds a combination of buttons at the start of the match (much in the way that Zero Suit Samus can be accessed from the get go).

Fin

There you have it! In the end, we get a new character, Diddy get's a few moveset tweaks, perhaps some organic remodeling here and there, and the Combo has its own authentic flare. As I mentioned, this is based on standalone play which means that you have access to the character (Diddy or Dixie) in their pure form. It wouldn't be modeled with the emphasis on their duality. Anything that involves "the combo" is simply realted to the actuall moves that come with the combo.

I find this setup to be a very proper throwback to the DKC's partner system, which is of the most distinct of the old school combo characters.[/COLLAPSE]

i was wondering where you went..lol nice wall by the way.:bee: just to let you know i went from that catagory to tag teaming in brawl

look at the page before this one. i think thats where it started. :/

ps how do i "hide" messages?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think there should be a rule, that monthly, everyone must read this article. I've been reading some Pre-Brawl release stuff, and honestly, the ideas he has in mind then aren't just things he is THINKING about, it's things that actually made their way into Brawl. So this interview is taken for granted in this thread. By the end of this year, I expect another interview with him, and that one, WILL have solid concepts you should all expect to see in Smash 4.

For example, after the unvielng of the Brawl trailer, Sakurai talked about what Snakes moveset would look like, and at the end of his anti-gun/knife soapbox, he said something like "He could end up using mostly explosives" and Snake most definitely did. Other instances had similar effects when you would read them. The stuff he is going to be telling us in the next year IS SERIOUS MATERIAL, don't take any of it for granted. In hindesight, Sonic's addition should have been predicted. Sakurai mentions him THE VERY DAY OF THE BRAWL TRAILER REVEAL.

I wonder if Miyamoto's new IP will get into Sm4sh..
Look downVVV And thank you Star~ : D

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Food for thought:

Actually, what really brought about the Snake character was from a conversation I was having back when I was developing the Smash Bros. game for GameCube when Hideo Kojima phoned me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game, saying please, put him in there, I want him in there!

But at that time we were already deep in development and I was thinking I wasn't able to get him in there and that we'd probably be making another Smash Bros. game afterward, so I kind of gave up on the idea and said it's too bad you hadn't brought this up earlier. And that was kind of the end of the story. But when this project came up, because Mr Kojima had contacted me, we reinitiated talks and managed to put Snake in this time.

It's not so much a corporate level discussion but really more on a personal level between myself and Mr Kojima, but obviously a lot of people have been interested in the introduction of other characters in the Smash Bros. games, and Sonic has been brought up many, many times. Part of it is you have to have someone you can trust to take care of your character and do your character good, so we're looking at various possibilities. There are probably possibilities for other third-party characters as well, and it may be that even now there are corporate discussions going on at a high level about what characters to include, but maybe we'll talk to you about that a little bit later.

Right now Snake is the only third-party character that has been confirmed for Super Smash Bros., but I think because we've announced Snake is in Super Smash Bros. that might open up opportunities for other third-party characters to also be included.

But more than anything it's not just about having a character, but about having a character that's going to be fun to have in there.
Oh, and Shigeru Miyamoto gets WHATEEEEVER he wants.

Nintendo: Who would be the character you'd most like to see in Super Smash Bros. in the future?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well if there was such a character I would just put them in this version. It's difficult finding the right balance. Everyone has their own opinions about what characters they'd like to see, so that's why I'll be trying to gather as much information as I can from people in terms of what direction to go in.
Probably the most insightful two posts of the day. I expect no less from Shortie.

D

Deleted member

@Shortie: What I'm confused about is if Sakurai knew that Sonic was heavily wanted, why didn't he make negotiations with Sega before 2007?

I would think that Sonic would have been negotiated about at least as soon as he said that about him.

yani

Smash Lord
For example, after the unvielng of the Brawl trailer, Sakurai talked about what Snakes moveset would look like, and at the end of his anti-gun/knife soapbox, he said something like "He could end up using mostly explosives" and Snake most definitely did. Other instances had similar effects when you would read them. The stuff he is going to be telling us in the next year IS SERIOUS MATERIAL, don't take any of it for granted. In hindesight, Sonic's addition should have been predicted. Sakurai mentions him THE VERY DAY OF THE BRAWL TRAILER REVEAL.
I didn't know he mentioned Sonic on the day of the launch trailer, BUT the second he said they may add 1 or 2 more characters I pretty much knew it was Sonic :sonic:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Shuri, thanks for updating me, I understand that folks had about as much as they can regarding combination characters.

Thank you also, for being the only person that didn't have to be told to try out collapse tags. Really, its amazing!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's probably a really long and hard process.

Unf.
Not only that, but I THINK Sonic was being added in 2006...? I'll look it up, but if I'm right, he WAS at least being PLANNED before 2007.

Edit: NOPE,

"The decision to include Sonic was not made until 2007," Sakurai noted.
SO, clearly Sakurai had Sonic on the brain for a reason.

I think when Sega sent Sakurai that Sonic Generations package they slipped in the contract for his return in SSB4
It's funny, because I'm thinking if Sonic and Snake are being added back in, Sakurai probably either already KNOWS this, or will know it in the next five months.

yani

Smash Lord
I think when Sega sent Sakurai that Sonic Generations package they slipped in the contract for his return in SSB4 :awesome::sonic:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's funny, because I'm thinking if Sonic and Snake are being added back in, Sakurai probably either already KNOWS this, or will know it in the next five months.
He better if it's so hard that he'd have to "build the game from the ground up" with them (and Mega Man :awesome:) in mind.

I think I quoted that right???

Sir_Slash

Smash Rookie
I don't see why anyone would go through the trouble to bring in guest mascots just to cut them for the next big game. I at least hope snake comes back. :( But sonic is cool too. Sorta.

D

Deleted member

I'm STILL confused on what he means by "customizing your character" and "bring these characters from the 3DS to the Wii U".

Is there going to be a Custom Character, or what?

yani

Smash Lord
Exactly. If Sakurai is intending for them to return, I think it's possible the legal stuff might be in the process right now as we speculate

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm STILL confused on what he means by "customizing your character" and "bring these characters from the 3DS to the Wii U".

Is there going to be a Custom Character, or what?
Well he doesn't OBVIOUSLY say, but if I had to guess, I would say it's probably something like Stickers or and RPG type leveling up system.

And in my opinion, Sonic, Snake and Megaman are too difficult to bother adding. I would rather have three more Nintendo characters. Sakurai didn't go crazy with them for a reason you know.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
the objective is to go to the opponents side of the stage where you find your partner in a cage.

you must then damage the cage enough to unleash your partner and together defeat the opponent or opponents
I can actually see this happening somewhere in the campaign mode. There seemed to be some emphasis on saving your fellow smasher throughout Brawl's story.

of course to prevent both players from just going straight to the other side and unleash their partners, the cages will sometimes move around the boards and/or will move away from the board completly at random.
This, this sounds like a fun mode. "Let me at em!"
If its a team mode, I can see your partner working against the game's movements.

You should cpllaborate with Kuma on this idea. I figure that you have interests in game modes which is neat, If you need a techie to rate your ideas, Kuma's your man.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

[COLLAPSE="Revised"]

For sake of avoiding overcomplexity Diddybe the leader by default, but he could be switched out in game through Down B.

A switch like this one is something smash hasn't implemented as of yet (maybe due to technical difficulties or something else): it would actually be an attack. Ideally there would be a counter to limit how frequent you can switch to the other character(perhaps 5-7 seconds). Becuse this is actually an attack technique, the hitbox of the current character and the one being switched in, is LIVE. You can hit, but you can also be hit, use it wisely.

If you forget, a nifty little failsafe would be readily available. A De-sync may occur in the unfortunate event that the player 'accidentally' throws their partner off the edge. Certainly the loss of the partner would leave the player without two special moves (nuetral and down), so to compensate, the game would return the standalone moveset to the player.

Maybe so, maybe no?

Reserved for DIXIE!

Fin

Haven't read through it all yet, but this is great! Exactly how I pictured it, but explained in a better sumarized way.

An idea to add into it, I've read that switching should be a safe option for the Kongs, so why not retrain Diddy's main aspect in Brawl, the bananas with it?

Upon switch out, the leader Kong drops a banana peel for the other to use. Which would be good for the people playing Diddy in Brawl and loving banana combos- as well as ward of direct attackers with the banana itself in which they would prefer to take distance.

Would force you to switch out more if you want to keep the bananas into your playstyle, thus learn both character's combos better.

Gonna read more though, but that part is where I left. Am totally wanting this now all of a sudden again!

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, the original Smash Bros comment really confuses me. I'm going to read the rest of the article before I comment on it, but it may change the way we view SSB3DS.

D

Deleted member

Well he doesn't OBVIOUSLY say, but if I had to guess, I would say it's probably something like Stickers or and RPG type leveling up system.

And in my opinion, Sonic, Snake and Megaman are too difficult to bother adding. I would rather have three more Nintendo characters. Sakurai didn't go crazy with them for a reason you know.
Well, we know that Sakurai wasn't in charge of Sonic's moves in Brawl, as for Snake, I feel he went "crazy" with him, considering the Codecs and that he directly decided Snake was to be a suicide bomber explosive user.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, the original Smash Bros comment really confuses me. I'm going to read the rest of the article before I comment on it, but it may change the way we view SSB3DS.
My best guess would be a remake of 64. :ohwell:

Sounds like Sakurai's taking bribes.

I'm not going to make to much of it for now, I am jealous though at the Sonic albums. I only got the Sonic CD ost, and I got it from iTunes. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom