• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Look what picture Sakurai posted on his twitter:

Bandanna Dee for Smash 4 confirmed. :troll:

Seriously, I think this might mean that Sakurai could be aware that Bandanna Dee has been promoted to a major character in the series.
[GLOW]Well, it could simply be a reference to the fact they're releasing the 20th Anniversary Kirby game for the Wii.[/GLOW]

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Metal: Mine too. Lip as well...

And lately I've becomed so obsessed with Garret from Golden Sun, this guy must get into Smash sometime too if Isaac makes.

Heck, put in all four, Isaac, Garet, Jenna and Felix. Ness also deserves to have his friends accompanying him...

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

Why do I feel people oftentimes forget her? Granted, she wasn't the most memorable female character, but seeing as Nintendo remembered her enough to bring her into Wario Land Shake It, wouldn't that count for something?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It would still suprise the **** out of me, just, it makes sense. If the Dee from K64 is Bandana dee... he's been around a while.
Oh so NOW you want to arrive to the party. Well, better late than never. lol

Look Waddle Dee/Bandanna Dee would still be a good choice for a character that would both bring something new and unique; while also being able to be both surprising and somewhat popular. Let me just break it down a little further:

1) Bandanna Dee is one character who really can bring something different to the roster from a gameplay perspective. His spear can be his primary weapon, with a mixture of normal melee moves and maybe a couple uses of a parasol. It is not much of a stretch to come up with a moveset for him. Not that this is much of an issue towards a characters ability to be playable, but it would be foolish of me not to recognize that Sakurai does evaluate whether a character can do something no one else can.

2) The concept of a "good" Waddle Dee has been around for several games now. You bring up Kirby 64, regardless of whether both Waddle Dee's are the exact same or not they both still support a type of character, if that makes sense? In my opinion this puts Bandanna Dee above other seldom requested characters such as Gooey or Prince Fluff.

3) Waddle Dee is a character that does not have a lot of drawbacks that show up during other character discussions:

• Has an element of surprise.​
  • Not a character who is really going to alienate anybody.​
  • Comes from a successful series.​
  • Hails from one of the most successful and recent games in that series.​
  • Moveset writes itself.​

It is not as though I believe every point really matters, but as far as the objections people come with against characters he does not suffer in the same areas. The only objections that seem prevalent against him is that the Kirby series is "complete" and does not deserve four characters. Really, this argument is baloney amongst a myriad of other similar arguments. I could go into depth on that point, but that is going to go into an ENTIRELY different topic that would be long enough on it's own right.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
So a move set for him would be like Spear Twirl as a recovery, spear toss (hold to split in three like in Return to Dreamland), and maybe parasol shield for Down B or something? I am having trouble coming up with something, though I'm sure Sakurai could probably do it. Considering his chances.

superderob

Smash Rookie
Smash Bros 3DS too? hmm... i guess we can get some hype tourneys for that LOL but uhhh... how would you stream that? i know the king of Mew's wants to be the BEST at BOTH games

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So a move set for him would be like Spear Twirl as a recovery, spear toss (hold to split in three like in Return to Dreamland), and maybe parasol shield for Down B or something? I am having trouble coming up with something, though I'm sure Sakurai could probably do it. Considering his chances.
Well, if you think about most of the characters in the game there is always an element of originality present throughout their moveset. With a spear there is quite a bit you can do with them, not even counting body slams or kicks.

One other thing I forgot to mention about Bandanna Dee is a lot of people seem to believe that because King DDD's side special is a Waddle Dee throw that somehow that prohibits Bandanna Dee from being playable. Again, this is silly. Look at the Subspace Emissary, we had playable R.O.B, and then we had the mini R.O.B army. It really is not that much of an issue.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's not that I arrived late to the party, there was just no reason to throw it before. Almost everything you said about Dee could be said for a lot of other characters as well. The only reason I'm even looking at him more closely is because SAKURAI has at least openly acknowledged him in some form as a sort of "Main" Kirby character.

I've always thought he could be interesting, and a good choice, just never had a reason to think he would actually be considered until now. You can throw your fancy words at the little spring chickens on this thread Star, but I'm a sassy *** momma hen. I've been around the block a few times~

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, if you think about most of the characters in the game there is always an element of originality present throughout their moveset. With a spear there is quite a bit you can do with them, not even counting body slams or kicks.
Yeah I'm not entirely against the idea of having something slightly original, with him I can see how it works, whereas with Toad it'd be stranger, so honestly I prefer the little furball over him. I just hope anything original he has isn't like Dedede's hammer engine thing or whatever. I absolutely am disappointed with that move. But it does show that having a character that is popular and cool enough that is maybe missing like one Special move is manageable in Sakurai's eyes. Parasol and spear stuff can probably handle everything except maybe a Down/Standard Special.

Not sure who is more likely, Toad or Waddle Dee. My only problem with Dee is bumping the Kirby series up to four, but I guess it really isn't much of a stretch. Might add him in my betting roster.. hmm..

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
That girl Psycho posted reminds me of some Saturday morning cartoon (you know, like the stuff they used to show like the Fox Box and all that)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Down B would probably be Megaton Punch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lxNNlQYttU

@ Psycho: isn't that like the baddie from Shantae?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just realized that Tron Bonne's hair is kind of like a pirate hat.

Why do I feel people oftentimes forget her? Granted, she wasn't the most memorable female character, but seeing as Nintendo remembered her enough to bring her into Wario Land Shake It, wouldn't that count for something?
She needs more love. I think she could make for an interesting character in Smash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Look what picture Sakurai posted on his twitter:

Bandanna Dee for Smash 4 confirmed. :troll:

Seriously, I think this might mean that Sakurai could be aware that Bandanna Dee has been promoted to a major character in the series.
It's nice to see BD being promoted, but like you said about Lucario and Zoroark in the new BW2 artwork it probably doesn't mean much. RtDL is the most recent game so using the most recent characters makes sense.

There was also this picture on his twitter:

The picture is talking about a special AR card promotion for Uprising, but it shows Palutena fighting.
How long have I been saying this for? :troll:

Her being in a few AR cards is dwarfed by her being a boss in Uprising. I do have that same card BTW. :3

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, Palutena's Boss battle makes her super easy to be put in SSB4, the moves would transfer easily.

Also, thanks for the Megaton Punch link, I suppose that is succeptable although it really isn't "his" move, but worse things have been done in existing characters. So I approve. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It goes worse than relevancy:
1. Like Roy, you need Marth to unlock her.
2. Like Roy, she's part of the Spirit Talisman tale.
3. Like Roy, she was a highly requested character (and still is for Japan; they didn't go in the "female cycle' that Chrono mentioned. To this day, Micaiah is still the most requested female there).

Expect a larger Micaiah movement than anything else...and not even Lyn can stop it.
Micaiah ain't making it before Krom or Roy though. And I doubt she'd make it togheter with either of them. Even though I'd like the variation. Weird that she's a dark mage though. She was always a light magic user. :/ And that redesign is a bit too much. Doubt Soren would like it. Not very queen like either lol

I wonder though if they'll let you pay for every DLC lord character every playthrough? That'd suck me dry within weeks if I'd play it! As I wouldn't want to complete the game without my army with Ike, Roy, Marth and Hector. :smirk:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's not that I arrived late to the party, there was just no reason to throw it before. Almost everything you said about Dee could be said for a lot of other characters as well. The only reason I'm even looking at him more closely is because SAKURAI has at least openly acknowledged him in some form as a sort of "Main" Kirby character.

I've always thought he could be interesting, and a good choice, just never had a reason to think he would actually be considered until now. You can throw your fancy words at the little spring chickens on this thread Star, but I'm a sassy *** momma hen. I've been around the block a few times~
I'm not giving up on this guy. I see dark horse material in him. I've been around the block my share of times too pal. lol

Yeah I'm not entirely against the idea of having something slightly original, with him I can see how it works, whereas with Toad it'd be stranger, so honestly I prefer the little furball over him. I just hope anything original he has isn't like Dedede's hammer engine thing or whatever. I absolutely am disappointed with that move. But it does show that having a character that is popular and cool enough that is maybe missing like one Special move is manageable in Sakurai's eyes. Parasol and spear stuff can probably handle everything except maybe a Down/Standard Special.

Not sure who is more likely, Toad or Waddle Dee. My only problem with Dee is bumping the Kirby series up to four, but I guess it really isn't much of a stretch. Might add him in my betting roster.. hmm..
I've seen other people propose one of Bandanna Dee's specials being a mine cart, in reference to Kirby 64; but I'm not too sure about that idea. Spear/parasol/body slams make more sense to me.

Micaiah ain't making it before Krom or Roy though. And I doubt she'd make it togheter with either of them. Even though I'd like the variation. Weird that she's a dark mage though. She was always a light magic user. :/ And that redesign is a bit too much. Doubt Soren would like it. Not very queen like either lol
Hey, I agree with Diddy.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not giving up on this guy. I see dark horse material in him. I've been around the block my share of times too pal. lol

I've seen other people propose one of Bandanna Dee's specials being a mine cart, in reference to Kirby 64; but I'm not too sure about that idea. Spear/parasol/body slams make more sense to me.

Hey, I agree with Diddy.
How about turning into a waddle Do and using a beam attack?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
what if the 3ds had a different roster than the wii U? i hope thats not the "central axis" of the game..
Been bringing this up a lot, but never has this been discussed deeply. Or at least, not with me around.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
what if the 3ds had a different roster than the wii U? i hope thats not the "central axis" of the game..
While that would certainly add business incentive, it would leave people who don't own one system or the other with a severe disadvantage. Considering Sakurai is all about equality among players I highly doubt he is going to go that route, doing something that would give certain players with extraordinary advantages. The only way I see version exclusive characters working is if they are guest characters that have the ability to go between games. On the 3DS you have Solid Snake and Professor Layton, while on the Wii U you have Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman.

grizby2

Smash Lord
hmm.. maybe you could SWAP characters between the two versions? so if you dont have the 3ds version, maybe one of your freinds that does could "trade" charac-

you know what? just no

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
NOW THAT would be bad for business (regarding the 3rd party characters). I think minor character differences as say, Toon Link / Young Link, Impa / Sheik, Lucario / Zoroark, Pokemon Trainer Red / Pokemon Trainer Black & White or Johto or Hoenn Krom / Roy ect. ect. ect. would be a far better idea. You'd basically have the same deal of a character, but with lots of difference in the movesets still.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
hmm.. maybe you could SWAP characters between the two versions? so if you dont have the 3ds version, maybe one of your freinds that does could "trade" charac-

you know what? just no
Exactly, it is too much work for a game that really does hinge on it's roster. People complain about not having the option to have every character from the start, could you imagine the outcry when the roster is splintered between two games? It would not be conducive for Sakurai or the company, and it goes against both's beliefs. Every other content piece apart from characters are fair game, but characters, or more specifically Nintendo characters, should not be messed with.

NOW THAT would be bad for business (regarding the 3rd party characters). I think minor character differences as say, Toon Link / Young Link, Impa / Sheik, Lucario / Zoroark, Pokemon Trainer Red / Pokemon Trainer Black & White or Johto or Hoenn Krom / Roy ect. ect. ect. would be a far better idea. You'd basically have the same deal of a character, but with lots of difference in the movesets still.
No, third party characters are a much safer business incentive if you are going to go with exclusives.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Bandana Dee could be a WTF charcter, or he could use his spear and random moves from other Kirby enemies.
Oh, and on the trading thing, I believe it's put this way:
Balls No.
I think you should just take what you get. Just my personal opinion. Sakurai might set it up like like Skylanders, only there's a code at the bottom of the doll action figure.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Try to calcul the power difference between wii u and 3DS

there WILL be a different roster

and 3DS is an handled,who really care for one or two disaventage
The 3DS and Wii U can handle the exact same roster, the only difference will be in how the game is optimized. The 3DS could handle Super Street Fighter IV with the same roster, why is it so hard to believe both Super Smash Bros. titles cannot do the same?

I think you should just take what you get. Just my personal opinion. Sakurai might set it up like like Skylanders, only there's a code at the bottom of the doll action figure.
Talk about a business ideology that appeals to the very grossest of capitalism...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly, it is too much work for a game that really does hinge on it's roster. People complain about not having the option to have every character from the start, could you imagine the outcry when the roster is splintered between two games? It would not be conducive for Sakurai or the company, and it goes against both's beliefs. Every other content piece apart from characters are fair game, but characters, or more specifically Nintendo characters, should not be messed with.

No, third party characters are a much safer business incentive if you are going to go with exclusives.
Why? The 3rd party character create the most hype by far. People care far less about who makes it into the game between the characters I previously mentoined cause even though they're all different, they fullfil the same kind of role, or would play similar enough to each other.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Hey, I agree with Diddy.
Get out of here. *points to the door* XD

Not going to happen, that is not at all how Sakurai and Iwata described how they would work together. There is going to be something more technical with customizing with the 3DS that may have RPG elements that can be unfolded on the Wii U and show off what you have. That is a general paraphrase as to what they were planning.

Besides, having two games on two different systems with two different rosters doesn't really "sync" well.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why? The 3rd party character create the most hype by far. People care far less about who makes it into the game between the characters I previously mentioned cause even though they're all different, they fulfill the same kind of role, or would play similar enough to each other.
Cross over characters in and of themselves are different entities from the main cast. They do not have the same "privilege" as main company characters. It is just a standard promotional practice amongst video game companies. Usually it is used as an enticement by hardware developers to get consumers to purchase their respective version. It would not be hard to believe for something similar to be done with two versions of the same game. This is what Street Fighter X Tekken for the PS3 and Vita has done, only a little differently. Unlike Capcom I only think it will be one to two characters exclusive to each game, in this hypothetical argument, not six.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am really curious whether we will get a formal unveil trailer at E3 2012.

Also, I am curious how Sakurai is going to classify Mewtwo and Roy if they come back. Will they be counteed as newcomers, veterans, or some entirely new category?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Slight differences wouldn't hurt really. As long as you can play with all characters on both systems anyway when you link them up at least. And that when linked the game automatically unlocks the character on the other system.

Does that make any sence how I worded it? Am pretty gone tbh.

Ate too many green bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom