• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Re: Zelda characters.

Only ones I think are fair choices that have enough popularity power are Ghirahim and Tingle. Impa and Vaati are also reasonable choices.

I'd personally pick Tingle or Vaati. Vaati since he's an awesome villain, and Tingle since he's definitely a good choice as well. Plus, he rivals Wario on the greed front.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I doubt any potential Zelda newcomer has much of a chance at all. We got a one-hit wonder (Ghirahim; dare I remind you all of Midna, Wolf Link, and Zant=???), two somewhat prominent character who hasn't even appeared in a canon Zelda game since the Minish Cap (Tingle and Vatti, although there was a stupid Tingle doll in Skyward Sword), and a bunch of other crappy (practically everyone else in Twilight Princess), minimally important (see: Skull Kid), and/or worthless characters nobody cares enough to want to play as.

Edit: Sheik's game was a lot bigger and better than Skyward Sword. It also was a hugely revolutionary game. Of course, being the alter ego of the title character doesn't hurt! :laugh:
Lost Horizon rocks!
NOOA OH OH AH AH AH AAAA HA AH HAAAH!!! (no really, I hadn't heard of that band before that song!) :laugh:

I never want to see Tingle in a smash game or as a playable character. I still do not understand why this made this character out of all possible creations. Let alone why he should make multiple appearances else where.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think Tingle was a joke on famous Mario and Zelda composer Koji Kondo's appearance. Tingle kinda has his skinny yet long face. :laugh:

Also, as I said, Tingle hasn't appeared in a Zelda game since 2005, unless you count a Tingle doll (cameo) in Skyward Sword.

If you don't count that doll, Tingle's last video game appearance I think actually was Brawl! :lol:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Skull Kid played a single prominent role. And he wasn't even the real villain. It was Majora himself.

Tingle stars in 3 games of his own, and has played a prominent role in atleast Wind Waker. Is also quite popular overall. He's definitely a good choice overall. I'd play for him over the other three, really.

Ghirahim is literally the most notable new character with actual development since Midna. I can see why he's popular enough to actually be considered worthy of a spot. There's also the difference that he's far more popular than Midna anyway.

As for Vaati, he's a fully main villain, only secondary to Ganon on the scale of power.(Ganondorf doesn't count since he doesn't appear in those instances where Vaati does)

D

Deleted member

I think Tingle was a joke on famous Mario and Zelda composer Koji Kondo's appearance. Tingle kinda has his skinny yet long face. :laugh:

Also, as I said, Tingle hasn't appeared in a Zelda game since 2005, unless you count a Tingle doll (cameo) in Skyward Sword.

If you don't count that doll, Tingle's last video game appearance I think actually was Brawl! :lol:
Actually, only Rupeeland was released before Brawl.
Color Changing Love Balloon Trip and Too Much Tingle Pack came after Brawl.

Anyways, the only Zelda character I personally feel has a shot is Toon Zelda, and that's if Sakurai incorporates the Phantom Zelda aspect, being as Spirit Tracks is the first time Zelda's been playable in a CANON Zelda game (as in, no CD-i games) and is the latest in the "Toon" Trilogy, which came after Brawl. (The "Trilogy" aspect, I mean. Before Brawl it was just Wind Waker and a sequel)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Golden
So 2 games that again were Japan and/or Europe exclusive remakes of games=??? :awesome:

But I do agree that Toon Zelda (Sheik? Tetra? new transformation) is somewhat possible, but still very far from likely (just like Tingle and Ghirahim).
Tingle has played a prominent role in atleast Wind Waker.
A prominent role in the filler Triforce of Courage "fetch quest" that made the end of the Wind Waker boring and dreadful, which was blasted by critics and fans alike.
Is also quite popular overall.
He is so popular, Western gamers (specifically in the Americas) hate him so much that his last actual appearance was in the Minish Cap (which few Zelda games bought).

TailzWolf

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Tingle hasn't appeared in a mainline Zelda title since The Minish Cap is the least of my worries. The more important question is: Who really wants to play as a wimpy, groaning 35 year old who thinks he's the reincarnation of a fairy, and sells and decodes maps for a living, and rips people off with his steep price tag to decode said maps? Because that's the bulk of Tingle's importance to the Zelda franchise. And NO, I can't explain why I don't want to touch Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land with a 20 foot pole, let alone think about why I should.
There's a trope for this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle

Anyways, has anyone mentioned the possibility of The World Ends With You representation? Thinking about getting some RPG DS games, and people pretty much unanimously say TWEWY. Even heard there is possibly a 3DS sequel in the works
Since Neku, Josh, and some of the other characters made it onto the 3Ds thanks to Kingdom Hearts 3D, I guess there's the possibility of the chance for consideration for them, since they're on a Nintendo system now (Apparently, that's a requirement, from what I've read). Still though, wouldn't that also mean more support for the Kingdom Hearts characters too?

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I think they also had their own DS game too. My bad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A prominent role in the filler Triforce of Courage "fetch quest" that made the end of the Wind Waker boring and dreadful, which was blasted by critics and fans alike.
Still a prominent role.

He is so popular, Western gamers (specifically in the Americas) hate him so much that his last actual appearance was in the Minish Cap (which few Zelda games bought).
Wrong. His last appearance was in his own game. And if you think any Zelda game is unpopular, you're deadly mistaken. They're all popular. To varying degrees. Sales do not indicate popularity, especially with used gaming around.

Barely 1/5 of the world doesn't like him, at best. Sounds pretty damn popular to me.

Tingle is a popular character, that's just how it is. So is Ghirahim. And I'd still rather have either of them than Toon Zelda, because of no clones. Tingle is a strong enough character(in gaming overall) to get a spot. Even under his own symbol. No other currently known Zelda character is anywhere close to his level.

It's like Slime at this point(mind you, one's more popular than another). Both are great choices to be put in. And I see no issue with either of them getting in. No moveset issues, popularity issues, game issues, etc.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
I don't know a ton about this but why is Rayman not considered? Is he third party? Because if he were first or second I don't know how he wouldn't be a shoo-in especially considering his moveset potential and the fact that he is getting a game released with the WiiU.

Also, put Isaac in the game - don't make him terrible - and I am satisfied.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Rayman is third-party.

Also Tingle and Ghirahim are the only really GOOD choices for a Zelda newcomers. But neither are really OUTSTANDING additions. I think I would have Tingle edge out Ghirahim, but not a lot of people actually WANT HIM it seems. I don't think supposedly being popular in Japan necessarily translates to "I want to play as him in Smash."

D

Deleted member

@ Golden
So 2 games that again were Japan and/or Europe exclusive remakes of games=??? :awesome:

But I do agree that Toon Zelda (Sheik? Tetra? new transformation) is somewhat possible, but still very far from likely (just like Tingle and Ghirahim).
No, Color Changing Love Balloon Trip was an RPG type game that is loosely based off the Wizard of Oz (there's a scarecrow, robot, and lion that help Tingle out) on Tingle's quest to pick up chicks, which is a system like Harvest Moon where you have multiple choices for a partner that you have to impress first.
Too Much Tingle Pack, however, is a pack for DSi for different options or whatever.

The ONLY game that Tingle got that was a remake of anything was Tingle's Balloon Fight. But yes, they are Japan exclusive (I don't think Europe got these ones.)

Also, what Toon Zelda has over Tingle and Ghirahim, is that she was planned for Brawl and then was actually PLAYABLE in Spirit Tracks as Phantom Zelda.
So if anything, Phantom Zelda is the way to go.

EDIT: "Tingle and Ghirahim are the only good options"? "No Toon Zelda because clone"?
Did people already forget about PHANTOM ZELDA?!? You know, the FIRST playable version of Zelda that isn't from the CD-i games?!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rayman is indeed 3rd Party. He's Ubisoft, which is not even a Japanese company (not a kill-all-hope thing, but worth mentioning.). Apparently, it's French. But yeah, the 3rd Party thing is why many find him unlikely.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Still a prominent role.
But not one anyone who hates fetch quests likes... ;)
if you think any Zelda game is unpopular, you're deadly mistaken. They're all popular. To varying degrees. Sales do not indicate popularity, especially with used gaming around.
I'm just saying that compared to the rest of the series, the handheld Zelda games from the GBA on haven't sold well. Also, Four Swords Adventures is no popular at all. FACT!!!
Barely 1/5 of the world doesn't like him, at best. Sounds pretty damn popular to me.
North and South America is somewhere around like 75-90% of the customer-base of the Zelda franchise.
Keep in mind Japanese sales have gone down slowly for the series, and they weren't all that high to begin with.
So, yeah, people who live in the America's opinions should be the most important, because they are where most of the $$$ comes from.
Tingle is a popular character, that's just how it is. So is Ghirahim.
I'm not debating that Tingle isn't popular with some people. I am debating as to how popular he is.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
SUKAPON IS WAY COOLER THAN RAYMA-- ah.

I couldn't even get through a joke without my heart breaking.

Phantom Zelda sounds bad.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Rayman has been in some pretty freaking awesome and underrated games. If Rayman was say the 4th 3rd party character (after Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man), I would be pleased if he was playable. I played Rayman Origins not too long ago, and that game is a classic (just like Rayman 2 before it). My opinion is the same on Pac-Man, too. :bee:

D

Deleted member

Phantom Zelda sounds bad.
Why? She's a heavyweight with a huge sword, can teleport, light the sword on fire, and can turn into a wrecking ball.
I can easily see her as a transformation of Toon Zelda if not Phantom Zelda alone.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Jumpman vs Pac-man vs Mega Man vs Bomberman vs Rayman...

Manly.
Don't forget Captain Falcon Man!!!
(as in Smash 64 or Melee Captain Falcon Man, because Captain Falcon in Brawl is actually Chuck Norris in disguise attempting to be as awesome as the great Captain Falcon Man)
:awesome: ;) :smirk:

D

Deleted member

Actually, it's not Chuck Norris, it's Rick Wheeler from the F-Zero anime. He becomes the new Falcon at the end of the series.
Which is why Brawl Falcon sucks. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Actually, it's not Chuck Norris, it's Rick Wheeler from the F-Zero anime. He becomes the new Falcon at the end of the series.
Regardless, it's some guy trying to replace THE MAN that is CAPTAIN FALCON MAN!!!

:falcon64: :falconmelee: FOR LIFE!!! Cuz of dat Knee, dat Smash 64 up Smash, dem up air, dem Raptor Boost, dat KIIICCKK, and of course dat PAWNCH!!!! :falconmelee: :falcon64:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Anyone have a link or know what page the recent interview was posted in? Been away and trying to keep up with talk and news.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But not one anyone who hates fetch quests likes... ;)
Does not change a single thing I said. He's either prominent or he's not. He was prominent. That's 100% irrelevant.

I'm just saying that compared to the rest of the series, the handheld Zelda games from the GBA on haven't sold well. Also, Four Swords Adventures is no popular at all. FACT!!!
Well, you couldn't be more wrong. There is no unpopular Zelda game. Save the CD-i games at best. Sales =/= Popularity.

North and South America is somewhere around like 75-90% of the customer-base of the Zelda franchise.
Keep in mind Japanese sales have gone down slowly for the series, and they weren't all that high to begin with.
So, yeah, people who live in the America's opinions should be the most important, because they are where most of the $$$ comes from.
No, they should all be taken into account equally. America isn't that important. I live there, and it should be taken as a whole. That's just silly.

I'm not debating that Tingle isn't popular with some people. I am debating as to how popular he is.
Pretty goddamn popular.

@GY: I know that, but I'd rather have someone who's not Zelda in for a 5th slot.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
[COLLAPSE="This made me laugh"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Well, you couldn't be more wrong. There is no unpopular Zelda game. Save the CD-i games at best. Sales =/= Popularity.
The only reason people bought FSA was because it had the "Zelda" title. Then, once they played it, everyone forgot about it, or vaguely remembers it. Seriously, Zelda fans don't mention that game. At all. That game is simply put another throwaway, bargain bin game.
Pretty goddamn popular.
Tingle is "Pretty goddamn popular" compared to what=??? And if Tingle is "Pretty goddamn popular," than judging by his hate base size, he is also "Pretty goddamn unpopular." ;)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
[COLLAPSE="This made me laugh"]
[/COLLAPSE]
The only reason people bought FSA was because it had the "Zelda" title. Then, once they played it, everyone forgot about it, or vaguely remembers it. Seriously, Zelda fans don't mention that game. At all. That game is simply put another throwaway, bargain bin game.
Funny, because Zelda fans do. Especially ones I talk to. I have yet to see one that nobody liked at all. Or mostly didn't like. Even Zelda II is still pretty popular.

Tingle is "Pretty goddamn popular" compared to what=??? And if Tingle is "Pretty goddamn popular," than judging by his hate base size, he is also "Pretty goddamn unpopular." ;)
I'd say 3 to 4/5 of the world liking him is "Pretty damn popular". Just because you don't like the character doesn't mean most of the world doesn't. Stop pretending he's severely hated or even close. People like him. Time to get over it. Same thing with Waluigi, etc.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Tingle would be like a joke character, and I think there could be retro characters that could fit that bill better.

His popularity really means nothing to me, I don't care if we're pretending to know the percentages of the population that like or hate his character.

D

Deleted member

I'd say 3 to 4/5 of the world liking him is "Pretty damn popular". Just because you don't like the character doesn't mean most of the world doesn't. Stop pretending he's severely hated or even close. People like him. Time to get over it. Same thing with Waluigi, etc.
It's not just John. Aren't you aware of the Trope "Americans Hate Tingle"?

And just because he's liked doesn't mean he's particularly popular.
Tingle doesn't get quite the popularity towards Smash Bros. in Japan as you think he does.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HyperFalcon is pretty good at making losing arguments.

"Well he's more popular than those CD-i Zelda games."

I mean, really? Really?

I feel dirty for even acknowledging it.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I really would prefer that Tingle stay out of Smash, but that's more of a personal qualm. If it's about non-serious or troll characters I would prefer someone else.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not just John. Aren't you aware of the Trope "Americans Hate Tingle"?
I'm a troper, so yes.

And just because he's liked doesn't mean he's particularly popular.
Tingle doesn't get quite the popularity towards Smash Bros. in Japan as you think he does.
I didn't say as a Smash character, though. I said "popular". And he actually is popular at around the numbers I gave.

I'd still like to see him as playable. He went from a stage element/trophy to an Assist Trophy. So going a step up would actually make sense. But I also want Waluigi playable. I won't go crazy if either of them don't get in, though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Still on Tingle? Well here's anothe excerpt from my blog just for the heck of it:

Tingle:

I’m not really sure where to start with him, but he’s pretty much dead for becoming at least playable. First things first, he has a MAJOR hatebase. Second the Japanese don’t hate him, but they don’t like him either, so they’re neutral with no requests. Third, in addition to next to no requests (assuming he has some which I why I'm talking about him), he hasn’t been in a major Zelda game or a part of the main Zelda cast since Minish Cap. While he has had some spin-offs they pretty much got him at best an AT role in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom