• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Toon Link Matchup Thread

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
"Obviously" a time to "not" attempt to grab DK is when you are in kill range.
So anywhere from 0-60% is OK depending on the stage of course, because you know when you also miss at low %s you'll can also eat at least 35-56% damage due to his side b + down b possibly bringing you into kill range.. I'm a man of risk vs reward and I'd much rather grab them out of something that is either laggy or out of my shield. To each his own I guess, I've seen the result of trying to have aggressive grabs and it wasn't pretty.

If everyone cant do it then why does it matter at all? Your talking about it as if its a common thing.
Because its a lot more common in heavy weights, Snake being an exception.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Somebody just doesn't get it...

If you notice your opponent does "X" every time you do "Y" then you follow up "Y" with "Z"...that's all this is man

Hyro

Smash Lord
yall are nuts lol

who cares if everyone can or cant, but if their even halfway decent, they usually can

but yall seem to look at it as if, if someone ps'es your **** and you grab them, they're never gonna PS again. No. Lee PS'es everything, when he's in range of my grab he's obviously not gonna PS my projectile and just sit there mainly cuz he's not ****ing ******** lol. He's gonna PS whatever I do then jump and fair when he's in grab range, jump and airdodge, or outrange me with something else

It all depends on player skill, but we should assume the players are really good

I think DK TL is 50-50. Cyphus came outta know where again and beat me AND jnig at a tourney, then again at mechacon. The last tourney I got second place to lee, i had to play cyphus & reflex but i was randomly good that day so I won. Either way, DK can hold his own. I personally don't see how size makes a difference??? As long as my throw my **** right, a DK has to shield everything an MK would. DKs as fast as TL so he can approach pretty quickly. DK is a gimp monster with that up B. He's like invincible 80 percent of the time lol. I alwways get gimped, DK has the slowest get up from the ledge, its homo as hell. Oh and died from a dsmash and AFTER it hit I was at 99%...sure it was bad DI, but I died STRAIGHT from the top. That's kinda f'ed up.

He gimps us AND kills is quick. But we can maneuver and camp.

Yeah I think a really REALLy good DK could **** a toon link up hard, yall needa play cyph

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
yall are nuts lol

who cares if everyone can or cant, but if their even halfway decent, they usually can

but yall seem to look at it as if, if someone ps'es your **** and you grab them, they're never gonna PS again. No. Lee PS'es everything, when he's in range of my grab he's obviously not gonna PS my projectile and just sit there mainly cuz he's not ****ing ******** lol. He's gonna PS whatever I do then jump and fair when he's in grab range, jump and airdodge, or outrange me with something else
I'm glad someone agrees with me. I don't know why I said that larger characters have a better opportunity on the ground, I guess my reasoning was that smaller characters usually try to stay mobile in the air but I didn't put all the characters into consideration at the time.

Hyro

Smash Lord
i ban yoshi's everytime. invincible up b glitch too gay lol

MJG

Smash Hero
Lol. Fino was talking about how Will never loses on Yoshi's Island because of that factor.

Plus Yoshi's Island is bad for TL. I even watched some scrub TL get screwed by his boomerang on that stage.

Yoshi's Island and Brinstar bad. Got it.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
That's what I banned! Yoshi's Island. I was talking Teh_Future about the set before I played ripple and he said that was the stage I should ban. And I did. and then Ripple took me to Brinstar...and that didn't go well.

Somebody wanna make a summary of the discussion and post it in a different thread for easier access in the future?

EDIT: I see you have joined our ranks again MJG, instead of becoming DTL v 2.0

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
I'll write summaries for the MU's we got right now when I get a chance, I've had some crazy *** medical stuff goin on. But tonight's my last night of work before I go back to school, so I'll start to have more time to do stuff.

CTX

Smash Journeyman

So, we can expect an onslaught of olimar people now, as well as the current olimar players to adjust to Brood's success...care to have a re-discussion?

NH Cody

Smash Champion
What you do in this MU is pick Marth.

:marth:

LOL but seriously, this MU is difficult. I think we all can agree on the basics of it, like how we have to approach with nair and then arrow cancel to prevent getting grabbed. Am I right?

And I played Logic today, I think it's harder to gimp Olimar than people think :ohwell:

MJG

Smash Hero
What you do in this MU is pick Marth.

:marth:

LOL but seriously, this MU is difficult. I think we all can agree on the basics of it, like how we have to approach with nair and then arrow cancel to prevent getting grabbed. Am I right?

And I played Logic today, I think it's harder to gimp Olimar than people think :ohwell:
Yea never have the mind set to gimp olimar.

I play with a olimar myself so I know the MU pretty well but its still tougher than people might think.

Nair to Arrow isn't really the best idea.

Ill save my thoughts for the MU discussion....right now. Lets discuss marth since we haven't discussed him in awhile

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Yeah I think that's a good idea. I played a few Marths at Apex including a friend from another site and some guy named "minty" (I think that's what he said his name was..?) It's SO hard to do my normal stuff against Marths and I can't camp him like I usually do to other characters. And I get killed at the edge :dizzy:

Ugh... Olimar is just so dumb. As for Marth, I want to know more about how to get around his SideB. I have little experience against Marth.

Anyways, I think both characters have been discussed well enough. After the summaries, we should definitely cover Marth, as well as.......

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
No idea about Olimar. No good one around here so I just always gimp them whenever they pick Olimar O.o...

I'm fine with discussing Marth. Stupid tippers.
As for his SideB... I usually try to SDI up and behind him. I think SDIing up and towards will get you out of almost any multihit?

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
I'll have those summaries done by the end of the night, provided crashboards doesn't go crazy again like it did this afternoon.

So next is Marth and....

if you guys want a rediscussion of a high tier, Olimar would be the way to go, if you want a new one, I vote Peach or Donkey Kong. But that's just my opinion.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we just discussed donkey kong lol. I think I could give a good summary of the Peach match-up as I play Nicole on pretty frequent basis. If we do, I can just ask her to come here and give her side of the match-up as well.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
BTW, we should start a "How to deal with 'X move' thread".

A lot of other boards have that and I assume it works well for them. Anybody else agree?

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Really? Are there videos up or anything? A quick search on youtube came up with nothing D=...

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Because its snake?

All he really has to do is hit us with a couple grenades then Utilt at around 80 and we're gone.

We have to get him up to like 160+ to kill him.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I actually feel confident vs Snake

I just full hop and avoid his explosive stuff and then bombard him with a wall of projectiles, and hit him with aerials after he gets hit with bombs

MJG

Smash Hero
Because its snake?

All he really has to do is hit us with a couple grenades then Utilt at around 80 and we're gone.

We have to get him up to like 160+ to kill him.
Grenades aren't really the issue vs snake. Getting too close to snake is the issue in this MU.

I actually feel confident vs Snake

I just full hop and avoid his explosive stuff and then bombard him with a wall of projectiles, and hit him with aerials after he gets hit with bombs
Yea you can do this. Just don't become predictable or the snake player will read your jumps and counter it with one of snakes laggy, but broken, aerials.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
Grenades aren't really the issue vs snake. Getting too close to snake is the issue in this MU.

Yea you can do this. Just don't become predictable or the snake player will read your jumps and counter it with one of snakes laggy, but broken, aerials.
close? the **** are you smoking lol.

Top Bottom