• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 14 - Ovah?!?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
To me as of right now, all of you are townies until you make yourself seem shady otherwise. 'Cept Ryker. Cuz he hasn't explained why he thinks Felipe is scum.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Kantrip explain your full motivation/thought process leading to you unvoting just then

@Serin: Do you believe RVS to be something that benefits town?

@felipe: Give me one sentence that explains why I shouldnt vote you

Kantrip

Kantplay
As I said to Ryker: "when did I say I thought Serin's post was scummy? My vote on him was to gauge a reaction." I got a reaction, although it didn't help much. After that, my vote doesn't serve any purpose staying there.

Serin answered questions, albeit saying some pretty contradictory things. However, I have a pretty null read on him still, leaning towards badly played townie. If I see anything that changes my read, I'm fully prepared to put my vote back on.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
To me as of right now, all of you are townies until you make yourself seem shady otherwise. 'Cept Ryker. Cuz he hasn't explained why he thinks Felipe is scum.
Alright. So when the others post here, be sure to communicate with them so you can develop reads on the players, which will help town scumhunt. I don't follow your null on Ryker though. I'm assuming by "'Cept Ryker." you clarified him as a null and not scum.

Serin answered questions, albeit saying some pretty contradictory things. However, I have a pretty null read on him still, leaning towards badly played townie. If I see anything that changes my read, I'm fully prepared to put my vote back on.
What did you find contradictory? Is being contradictory indicative of alignment? If so, does that justify unvoting just to put it back on in the future?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Mainly when he said he wanted me to think his post was anti-town, yet at the same time saying he had no better way to look town. I don't think being contradictory is indicative of alignment, but it certainly doesn't help town. I just see no purpose in leaving my vote on. It got the answers it was cast out for and served its purpose as a pressurevote. When another situation arises that warrants a vote for any player, I will vote accordingly.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Show me where Serin specifically stated that.

If contradictory-ness (forgive me) is not beneficial to town, is that a slip?

Why remove the vote if you're just going to sit around waiting for something else to happen. Make or break Serin, or the actions you've seen now should determine whether or not your vote will stay. Otherwise you're just doing nothing helpful to town by removing your vote / not voting.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Serin answered questions, albeit saying some pretty contradictory things. However, I have a pretty null read on him still, leaning towards badly played townie.
That's exactly what it is :laugh:

I'm learning, leave me alone >:L

Kantrip

Kantplay
Kantrip, that's exactly what I want you to think. I have nothing to gain, and furthermore, I have nothing to prove. Like someone else said (I don't feel like scrolling up), it's D1, and someone's gotta go eventually.

Hence, my willingness to go first.
What is this referring to?
"That sounds like anti-town to me.

Cuz I have no better way of proving that I'm a townie.

I figure it's not really possible to get that much info on D1.
This.

Tery, how would my vote remaining on Serin be any more beneficial to town than taking it off?

I'm not just going to sit around and wait for something else to happen. There's more to this game than placing your vote.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
This.

Tery, how would my vote remaining on Serin be any more beneficial to town than taking it off?

I'm not just going to sit around and wait for something else to happen. There's more to this game than placing your vote.
Because I'm sure you can milk more responses from Serin that just that.

Doesn't seem like you are, because after your removal of vote on Serin all you've done is talk to me and not much else.

If you kill scum by coincedence, it's still gonna count.

So it can be.
Did you read what I posted about RVS? What makes you use this response.

What do you mean by this?
You said being contradictory is not indicative of alignment but has a negative effect on town. What are your opinions on slips (messups or mistakes)? Are those indicative of alignment? Is being contradictory a slip?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Everybody makes mistakes. I'm not sure if certain slips are indicative of alignment or not, but something such as posting two conflicting statements certainly seems like a slip. I don't see what town could gain from it, as it's very similar to lying. That's not to say it's a scumtell, though. I've read a fair share of games where both factions have made mistakes, and both factions have lied.

Vote: Marathonman

I see you lurking in here, marathonman. What are your thoughts on what has happened so far?

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
Hey sorry it took so long for me to respond. Adumb, it feels good to be loved.

Are those indicative of alignment? Is being contradictory a slip?
I would not be surprised to find slips or messups happening at this point. Most of us are newbies gaining our footing, so we may not realize exactly what could be read from our actions.

Vote Kantrip

Panta

Smash Cadet
Alright, fair enough. The 2 IC's are adum and Ryker, so Serin's one of the newbies. I agree with his post being a bit strange. First he asks what the reason for the wagon is, then he asks why he should join it, and then he joins it anyways. That coupled with offering himself for D1 lynch seems off to me.
Why does it seem off? Scum wouldn't willingly submit themselves or be okay with being the lynch. Unless this is a gambit by Serin, I highly doubt him as scum. You on the other hand and your shakey reasoning for suspecting Serin, is scummy.

Good point, the 2 replacements are coming in with experience. I hadn't thought about that. Now, as to what threw me wrt Serin's post:

Questioning why people were voting Felipe.

Questioning what reason he would have to vote Felipe.

Voting Felipe anyway.

Why is it that you want so many people on the Felipe wagon?
Do you not understand the inherent joke in that post or did you miss the awesome smiley face? I agreed that the first part of voting Felipe looked scummy, but once I realized he posted that smiley face and voted Felipe it was an obvious joke. Scum don't unnecessarily attract attention to themselves like that and Serin is just being playful. You are trying to make it into something more than it is.

Kantrip, that's exactly what I want you to think. I have nothing to gain, and furthermore, I have nothing to prove. Like someone else said (I don't feel like scrolling up), it's D1, and someone's gotta go eventually.

Hence, my willingness to go first.
Ya. I definitely feel you are town. No scum wants to be a sacrificial lamb.

Why is that scummy? You've yet to explain that. You've pointed to actions and implied that they were scum motivated, but you've yet to explain why that is.

I want more votes on Felipe because Felipe is scum.

Serin, put your vote back.

Unvote Vote Felipe

Like I said in the PokeMafia thread, I no longer trust you. :awesome: You continually unvoted and voted me as your scum buddy when I was being active, and look what you are doing now. Voting the **** out of Felipe. It is weak reasoning, I know that, but just letting everyone know of Ryker's habits for late game.

FOS: Ryker and Felipe

What is this referring to?

It's not just that you have nothing to gain from your lynch, it's that town has nothing to gain from your lynch. Regardless of your alignment, why would you say that you're fine with going first?

This makes no sense if you're town. If you are, you should know there are better alternatives (possibly finding scum, lynching for connections, heck; even lynching inactives)! I'd really like to know why you're already submitting yourself.
You are reading too much into illogical newb town behavior. I agree that town gains relatively nothing from Serin's lynch, but why would you say that we gain more from inactive lynches? Lynching for the sake of information is not a good reason to lynch someone unless you are in danger of no lynching when you don't need to no lynch (aka giving scum a free night basically). You should always lynch someone based on their scumminess. All other aspects come after that fact.

"That sounds like anti-town to me.

Cuz I have no better way of proving that I'm a townie.

I figure it's not really possible to get that much info on D1.

@Tery - Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested with this. And as of right now, we haven't gotten to that point of knowing enough info to cast judgement.

Vote X1-12
I feel the same way in that Day 1 is relatively useless in terms of gathering information. Only select circumstances (lynching a Mafia power role) make Day 1 a good source for info and connections the proceeding Days.

Why are you randomly voting still? I feel that there is more than enough information present to vote non randomly.

Vote: Kantrip

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I would not be surprised to find slips or messups happening at this point. Most of us are newbies gaining our footing, so we may not realize exactly what could be read from our actions.

Vote Kantrip
I'm not saying these are unavoidable, I'm asking what his stances / opinions on those functions are.

Panta

Smash Cadet
And this is why I dislike playing Newbie games. Everyone is scummy as **** naturally. :c

Kantrip explain your full motivation/thought process leading to you unvoting just then

@Serin: Do you believe RVS to be something that benefits town?

@felipe: Give me one sentence that explains why I shouldnt vote you
Yes, let's ask the person who isn't playing why we shouldn't vote them. Also, let's ask a player who thinks that Day 1 is useless if RVS is useful. Good fluff post that adds NOTHING to the game.

You are giving me scummy vibes, X1.

As I said to Ryker: "when did I say I thought Serin's post was scummy? My vote on him was to gauge a reaction." I got a reaction, although it didn't help much. After that, my vote doesn't serve any purpose staying there.

You say that his reaction didn't really help you read on him, and that he said contradictory things, yet you felt that he was town enough to be unvoted? You are just looking for a reason to remove your fail vote on Serin because you are hyperactive scum.

Hey sorry it took so long for me to respond. Adumb, it feels good to be loved.

Vote Kantrip
True. Is that the only thing you have a comment on though? :\

Kantrip

Kantplay
Why does it seem off? Scum wouldn't willingly submit themselves or be okay with being the lynch. Unless this is a gambit by Serin, I highly doubt him as scum. You on the other hand and your shakey reasoning for suspecting Serin, is scummy.
Town shouldn't willingly submit themselves either. Can you think of any scenarios in which town would want to go willingly into their lynch, knowing they're town? Also, I never suspected Serin. I'll admit I was tunneling a bit harshly for the sake of pressuring answers and gauging reactions, but I have a town read on Serin right now.

Do you not understand the inherent joke in that post or did you miss the awesome smiley face? I agreed that the first part of voting Felipe looked scummy, but once I realized he posted that smiley face and voted Felipe it was an obvious joke. Scum don't unnecessarily attract attention to themselves like that and Serin is just being playful. You are trying to make it into something more than it is.
I suppose I missed the joke in that post. This would have been easier if Serin had pointed it out to me earlier, but if it was all a joke post, I apologize for reading so far into it. I'll reiterate the fact that my vote on Serin was not because I thought he was acting scummy. It was a pressure vote.

You are reading too much into illogical newb town behavior. I agree that town gains relatively nothing from Serin's lynch, but why would you say that we gain more from inactive lynches? Lynching for the sake of information is not a good reason to lynch someone unless you are in danger of no lynching when you don't need to no lynch (aka giving scum a free night basically). You should always lynch someone based on their scumminess. All other aspects come after that fact.
I'd say we gain more from lynching an inactive than Serin because I have Serin as town. Inactives are null, however. Lynching a null is better than lynching town because the null has a chance at being scum. Fairly basic logic, I think. Lynching for information is in the same boat: it's better than lynching one of your town reads. Obviously lynching based off of scumreads is the safest bet.

Panta

Smash Cadet
Kantrip, your most recent post makes me uncertain of my read on you. Why you make my life so hard?

Kantrip

Kantplay
You say that his reaction didn't really help you read on him, and that he said contradictory things, yet you felt that he was town enough to be unvoted? You are just looking for a reason to remove your fail vote on Serin because you are hyperactive scum.
His reaction to my vote did not help me read him. However, his posts in general still give me a newbie-town vibe. I felt that he was town enough to be unvoted, because the vote was never placed because of thinking he was scummy.

@Marathonman, I would also like to hear some more insight from you.

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
Kantrip, you said that after you got a null read on Serin, you unvoted him because it served its purpose. But doesn't keeping your vote on him and eliciting reactions from other people give you info?

Kantrip

Kantplay
What reactions would I have had hoped to get from other people? To my knowledge, people don't usually pay a ton of heed to RVS votes that don't involve them. Was unvoting Serin after he reacted to the vote a slip on my part?

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
No, but i think seeing other people react to how you reacted to him can help in gauging future reactions.

And why did you vote for me?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Our 3 prominent IC's are the biggest culprits of inactivity here. X1-12 posted one fluffy post, Ryker hasn't said much to contribute to the game, and adum hasn't done anything but claim princess twin with Ryker :glare:

What are your thoughts on Tery so far?

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
I guess I found it interesting he asked you so many questions about your reaction to Serin. I don't really have a read on him yet, but it seemed like he was trying to play you and Serin off of each other.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Hmm, that's actually an interested perspective. After doing a quick re-read of what happened so far, I did notice that Tery was guiding us both into tunneling on each other.

Particularly with these posts:

Alright. So when the others post here, be sure to communicate with them so you can develop reads on the players, which will help town scumhunt. I don't follow your null on Ryker though. I'm assuming by "'Cept Ryker." you clarified him as a null and not scum.

What did you find contradictory? Is being contradictory indicative of alignment? If so, does that justify unvoting just to put it back on in the future?
Show me where Serin specifically stated that.

If contradictory-ness (forgive me) is not beneficial to town, is that a slip?

Why remove the vote if you're just going to sit around waiting for something else to happen. Make or break Serin, or the actions you've seen now should determine whether or not your vote will stay. Otherwise you're just doing nothing helpful to town by removing your vote / not voting.
Serin, what do you think of my questions on Kantrip?
Because I'm sure you can milk more responses from Serin that just that.

Doesn't seem like you are, because after your removal of vote on Serin all you've done is talk to me and not much else.

Did you read what I posted about RVS? What makes you use this response.

You said being contradictory is not indicative of alignment but has a negative effect on town. What are your opinions on slips (messups or mistakes)? Are those indicative of alignment? Is being contradictory a slip?
I haven't seen Tery provide much information himself. He seems to be trying to stir something up, and I don't like it.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
^ I agree. I understand him trying to give insight on how the game works, but at the same time, he could use that to his advantage as a way to cover up his scumminess.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Haven't read anything else yet, only saw the above post. Dunno what it refers to, but it isn't going to change, so I don't want anyone else to comment on it until Marathonman puzzles out whether it's scummy or not. Let's get a definite stance.

Unvote Vote Felipe

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Day 1 - Votecount #1:

---

Voted: |
Voting:
| Votes:
|
felipe_5959 |
Ryker​
|
1 / 5​

o-Serin-o |
Terywj​
|
1 / 5​

MARaTHonman |
Kantrip​
|
1 / 5​

Kantrip |
MARaTHonman, Panta​
|
2 / 5​

---

Not voting: X1-12, felipe_5959, o-Serin-o, adumbrodeus;
With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch!

X1-12

Smash Champion
panta, you not being to understand why i ask my questions doesnt make them scummy. You say it was pointless asking serin whether he thought rvs was useful because he would def say no. If this is the case then what do you think about serin still choosing to post a random vote after actual content has started appearing?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Mostly because the interactions between Kantrip, Serin, and myself were the most active and obvious, I thought it'd be getting some feedback from the other players (including yourselves) for their opinion on those dialogue.

Apparently according to Ryker, I'm like a pseudo-IC, so I will also be trying to help you guys get into the game. Remember that this is regardless of my alignment just like the other three IC players.

Now if only Adumb would post.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
panta, you not being to understand why i ask my questions doesnt make them scummy. You say it was pointless asking serin whether he thought rvs was useful because he would def say no. If this is the case then what do you think about serin still choosing to post a random vote after actual content has started appearing?
I unvoted.

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
@Ryker, when did I say I thought Serin's post was scummy? My vote on him was to gauge a reaction. I also said that submitting himself to first lynch was anti-town, as it doesn't help town in any way. I never said I believed him to be scum. Quite the opposite, actually; a town player is more likely to do anti-town things by accident, especially in RVS. I found his original post strange and a bit off to me, but it seems more newbie town to me than scum.
Oh ho! Someone who has already mastered the art of having a back-up explanation. Not a bad trick. However, what say you if I turn around and say I don't believe you. You've heavily implied that you thought Serin was scum for his post and weird wagon hop, but then nobody took the bait, so you backed off.

Marathon, which explanation do you believe?

Serin, don't be dumb. I'm obviously town. I'm not explaining why Felipe is scum because that would be anti-town. You should take my word for it.

Your vote is your most powerful tool, why would you not be using it? Could it be you don't want to commit to a solid stance?

Everybody makes mistakes. I'm not sure if certain slips are indicative of alignment or not, but something such as posting two conflicting statements certainly seems like a slip. I don't see what town could gain from it, as it's very similar to lying. That's not to say it's a scumtell, though. I've read a fair share of games where both factions have made mistakes, and both factions have lied.

Vote: Marathonman

I see you lurking in here, marathonman. What are your thoughts on what has happened so far?
Do NOT play this card. It's a bad one. If players want to lurk, they'll log in as invisible. I stay logged in as invisible. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many townies who look and leave and it will lead you to waaaaaaaaaaaay too many mislynches.

Vote Kantrip
You're going to need a lot more than that to get Kantrip lynched. Your going to need a lot more information out there to keep you from being lynched.

Like I said in the PokeMafia thread, I no longer trust you. :awesome: You continually unvoted and voted me as your scum buddy when I was being active, and look what you are doing now. Voting the **** out of Felipe. It is weak reasoning, I know that, but just letting everyone know of Ryker's habits for late game.

FOS: Ryker and Felipe
Oh please, you want to insinuate that:

1.) You understand how I play.
2.) I'm bad enough that I would let you catch me on that.

I do NOT like you trying to put a snake in my boot here. This post is weak, as you admit in it and all it does is try and set me up to be possibly mislynched later based off of null tells. Why would you post that paragraph?

And this is why I dislike playing Newbie games. Everyone is scummy as **** naturally. :c

Yes, let's ask the person who isn't playing why we shouldn't vote them. Also, let's ask a player who thinks that Day 1 is useless if RVS is useful. Good fluff post that adds NOTHING to the game.

You are giving me scummy vibes, X1.
Panta, nice chainsaw defense. You've jumped me and X1 when we've said things directed at Felipe.

Our 3 prominent IC's are the biggest culprits of inactivity here. X1-12 posted one fluffy post, Ryker hasn't said much to contribute to the game, and adum hasn't done anything but claim princess twin with Ryker :glare:

What are your thoughts on Tery so far?
What? I've posted at least twice a day on a freaking weekend, there are players who you'll be lucky to get one post in 48 hours from. Chill, the game will pick up naturally.

I haven't seen Tery provide much information himself. He seems to be trying to stir something up, and I don't like it.
Analyze the posts you quoted and show me how there's nothing provided there because I'm seeing town intent.

X1-12

Smash Champion
I unvoted.

:phone:
First off this never answered my question of whether you think RVS is useful, but since you seemed to just role with the concept I'm going to assume you don't believe it is. The fact you believe that unvoting can completely absolve you of any blame associated with the original vote is also extremely weird, why do you believe this to be the case? Thirdly please actually explain your motivation for random voting when real content was flying about and there was enough things to discuss seriously, as wall as your motivation for this post - No human action is truly random, there's always a reason for everything - what is it?
Why are you warning people or making people more aware to not slip up? Surely if someone slipped up it would only help us find mafia?

@Tery: Do you find that Katrip is trying to appear more knowledgable or "in the know" than a typical newbie? If so do you believe this is indicative of his alignment in any way? Give reason for your answer.

Top Bottom