• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 3 | Jungle Republic | Ovah. Who won?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
13th votecount

----------

frozenflame751 (2) - Cello_Marl, Sold2
Cello_Marl (1) - frozenflame751
soaring-raptor-blast (5) - -Hilt-, Mister Eric, Xiivi, §teel, Tandora
Not voting: (2) - soaring-raptor-blast, Ronike

----------

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to lynch!

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
Frozen should die. There's not been enough discussion about other potential player lynches thanks to our back and forth. It would just be a scramble to whomever for a lynch.

As of this post, we have about 71 hours.

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
Oh, there was something else. Xiivi, who else that is currently playing in this game also played in Grammys mafia?

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
-Hilt- & Steel. I hosted.

Why do you think it would be a "scramble" to lynch someone besides you or FF when SRB is at L-1? In fact, it would be a scramble to lynch either of you at this point with there only being 1 vote on the two of you that isn't from the other.

I don't believe either of you should be lynched today because it only shows me this:
A) Cello lynched and flips town: Frozen was tunnel-visioned as hell on Cello.
B) Cello lynched and flips scum: Frozen was tunnel-visioned as hell on Cello.
C) Frozen lynched and flips town: Cello was tunnel-visioned as hell on Frozen.
D) Frozen lynched and flips town: Cello was tunnel-visioned as hell on Frozen.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Frozen should die. There's not been enough discussion about other potential player lynches thanks to our back and forth. It would just be a scramble to whomever for a lynch.

As of this post, we have about 71 hours.
it would be sweet if you would stop tunneling freiza and comment on current happenings

thanks

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
it's starting to aggrevate me that i keep promising to read/post, but i keep trying to organize my priorities better and this keeps getting pushed down the list. If I don't post by the end of this week: A.) I'll let you know if I will or not, and B.) my last day is friday, maybe a tourney on sat., but after that....I'll be pumping my fist and spending quality time on here.

6 finals and 2 papers is a *****...for me at least.

soaring-raptor-blast

Smash Rookie
Iono, SRB, you seem to be flip flopping here. May seemed innocent, but her predecessor doesn't? How does that work? Also, you keep saying it's D1, but it's not. It's D2. You remember Delvro being lynched, right?
AH! I guess it is D2! whoops!!! O_O

sorry. I have the mental faculties of a pinecone

was there a Nkill? i cant remember.... well hell I will look myself.
sorry it seems like Im flip flopping. the whole replacement thing and having to look at two different people's actions and think of them as the same role gets me confused.

Raptor, that's not the only thing we're saying you're suspicious for. The Delvro thing was not the only reason. Your reaction to our claims, your seemingly empty suspicions, and your reaction to our posts, are the reasons that I have been suspicious of you. I'll be looking forward to your post, elaborating on the suspicions you posted, though.

oh... my reactions to your posts? like when I said "hi" to steel? lol thats the only one I remember being specifically questioned.

I'm sorry for not being that helpful. I HAVE been a tid busy but im not gonna use that. I've decided since I'm more likely then not, going to be lynched, Im only gonna shed lighton the people i feel really strongly for.

S2: he has wolf written all over him. like everywhere. its been said before. his posts are so different. Im not gonna do that hardcore metagaming stuff but it seems almost "smack you upside the face" obvious. just MO though.

Cello: I have been thinking along the same lines as tandora with him. I seriously doubt an anti-town role would go through all that trouble and that is why I have been pretty sure of his innocence.

uh ...*brainfarts*.... this is an off day

well I promise Im town and all, but I admit to not being very helpful so you can lynch me if you want. I AM town though but I'm not a seer or anything so you guys can make it without me. just be prepared for me to flip town and try to learn something from it at least.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
just because someone makes large posts doesn't mean they are town -_- that's awful reasoning. scum wants to win this game too and equal effort should be expected on all sides.

i cant decide if srb is purposely being stupid or if his bad play is legit, the "was there a nkill?" is either trying way too hard to seem town or blah blah more wifom i dont know.

we still have a few days. more later.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
btw i never posted my thoughts on s2 but im down for his lynch whenever. when he jumped on freizas bandwagon his reasoning was horrible and contradicting and sent major red flags up my brain stem. since then he hasnt done anything.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm okay with an S2 lynch as well, he's now at the bottom of the barrel of contributors. He and raptor i would be for lynching.

Cello you've no responded to my question, but instead heightened my suspicion in this subject.

I'll rephrase:

Also, why have you said nothing about SRB at all? I'm not pushing for his lynch, but you've said nothing about your opinion on him? Instead, you brought up how you thought it would be smart to discuss him at some time in the future, then disappeared unless FF was brought up? I'm really interested in your opinion on him, actually, and seeing if it's only FF you're after or if you have other suspicions.
Did you not read my post?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Raptor, you never elaborated on your suspicions. I'd love to hear them, what with there being three days remaining.

Tandora

Smash Rookie
I'm a little confused on the sudden change of focus. For a long time it looked like Cello vs FF. Then we had a strong case against SRB. Now, S2? Xiivi, do you feel SRB has proven his innocence?

In the meantime, I'm willing to put some pressure on S2.

UNVOTE SRB, VOTE S2

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
So wait, are you guys thinking S2 because of his whimsical latching on to Cello?

If that's the case, do you guys put him in mafia camp or wolf? I'm curious.

I'm not necessarily opposed to an S2 lynch but I'd much prefer Cello, then SRB.

Cello doesn't look like it's going to happen, but if we get to a deadline situation I'm switching to SRB. Just giving you all a heads up.

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
Day 2 has been long and boring and drawn out with a heavy focus on two players. Eventually we got Mister Eric to respond to pressure and got his opinions on players. I went ahead and followed his vote on SRB to get a better feel for his opinions on players. Now I've gone ahead and followed SRB's vote on S2 so we can get something out of him.

SRB sat at L-1 for a while. There was quite a bit of time for people to unvote him and there was quite a bit of time for people not voting him to hammer him, but instead seemingly ignored the chance. (Especially after he made a poor defense.)

That wagon will be very helpful tomorrow after we have some flips today/tonight.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Could you all clarify what's happening? I see 4 votes for me, and 1 potential vote, but I don't know why, other than "k I'll vote s2."

Also, I don't like how FrozenFlame, and apparently everyone else overlooked
One more thing, though. Why have you been skimming posts/missing parts of them? Ronike asked it way back on page 20 or so, and then in Cello's most recent post, he mentioned what Ronike said, and you missed it again.
This is now around the fourth time it's been asked?

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
@Hilt Sorry about not responding earlier. When I got home, I glanced over the posts made, noticed Ronike asked again for a play, and responded to it. I knew the answer to his question, but I wanted to go over everything before I formed an opinion on SRB. I ended up playing Civ 4 until 8:30 am instead.

Mister Eric had responded after my post saying he was inactive. That made my point about activity obsolete, so we could have chosen either to interrogate at that point.

But on your other point, I didn't say that answering a question was scummy. I'm getting really tired of people taking what I'm saying, 'rephrasing' it in a completely different manner, then attacking it like it discredits what I actually said. If you want to comment on something, then please talk about it and not some indefensible position.

To begin, she didn't ask a question. She tried to use a post analysis to jump-start some discussion. FF told her that it was a good idea, but too early. That was before he had any reason to suspect that it would be unsuccessful, and as I said, left an impression, and was not a scumtell by itself.

SRB seems like a player that we don't want at endgame one way or another. So far, he's shown that he'd rather just be lynched than provide a defense for himself. Also, look at the ease in which Xiivi was able to coax a vote from him, via what amounts to minor intimidation. It would be in our interest to lynch SRB before a LyLo or MyLo situation, though I would prefer to wait until there is no night kill hanging over us.

S2 is under fire for not being vocal about his suspicions, among other reasons. S2 voices his opinions in the form of questions. He asked SRB why Mayling was suspicious to him, yet no one seems to acknowledge that. Even Raptor just ignored it. He's asked several questions of FF, and has so far been blown off with semantics about 'what exactly metagaming means', even when he gave the mafiascum article of what he was referencing, or just outright ignored. He's given opinions, so don't pretend that he hasn't.

The major reason I bring this up at all has nothing to do with S2, but Xiivi.

Xiivi has been vote hopping to get opinions from players, finding out where their heads are. S2 was bolded in his lynch list, whereas Mister Eric was deemed unlynchable for toDay. What's really so different between the two, especially to warrant such a vast gap?

Also, Xiivi said:

I don't believe either of you should be lynched today because it only shows me this:
A) Cello lynched and flips town: Frozen was tunnel-visioned as hell on Cello.
B) Cello lynched and flips scum: Frozen was tunnel-visioned as hell on Cello.
C) Frozen lynched and flips town: Cello was tunnel-visioned as hell on Frozen.
D) Frozen lynched and flips town: Cello was tunnel-visioned as hell on Frozen.
C and D are identical. Is that an opinion, a typo, or a scumslip?

Finally, being sick of an argument is no reason to ignore it.
S2 and Ronike still haven't received an answer to that question,
probably because FF thinks he can just fade away.
I still think that FF is the right play regardless of what's been said.
If I can convince you of that, I will, so don't expect me to drop it entirely.

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
D) Frozen lynched and flips scum*: Cello was tunnel-visioned as hell on Frozen.

The point remains the same.

S2 has managed to have fewer posts than Mister Eric. I'd feel much better at a later Day with a player who attempts to establish a presence than a player who has simply blended in. His flip will give a stronger feel for other players than Mister Eric's would.

Cello, I asked SRB to place a vote on his top suspect. He was already at L-1 as a prime suspect with me as one of the votes, I doubt it was intimidation from me that made him vote.

I don't expect the Cello vs. FF debate to simply be washed away, but I do want it to not result in a D2 that will create little information from my viewpoint, and think it's something to keep in mind heading into tomorrow.

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
Xiivi said:
If SRB votes S2 I'm down for an S2 lynch. If SRB doesn't I'm fine with the SRB lynch.
SRB, why did you vote for S2? What was the actual reason behind it?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
14th votecount

----------

frozenflame751 (2) - Cello_Marl, Sold2
Cello_Marl (1) - frozenflame751
soaring-raptor-blast (2) - -Hilt-, Mister Eric
Sold2 (4) - soaring-raptor-blast, Xiivi, §teel, Tandora
Not voting: (1) - Ronike

----------

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to lynch!

Ronike

Smash Ace
FF wins the arguement for general awesomeness* and not being completely tunneled like Cello.

I'm down for a S2 (lurking hardcore), SRB (for having "the mental faculties of a pinecone"), or Cello (for tunneling and everything else FF has brought up) lynch. Plus they all tell of allignments pretty nice in my opinion.

*General awesomeness: having a better arguments for reasons I would go over if I had the time to do so.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
If you want an explanation for my lurking, it's because I lost interest in the game, and I've been busier than I'd like. Winter break is almost here, so naturally my teachers are trying to put as much work as they can on me, and along with things like the AIMafias(which I enjoy a lot, and do not want to stop) me and Hilt have been running, I don't always have the time I'd like to make a decent post. I take a good amount of time(around 20 minutes) making any given post.

As for my interest in this game, I felt like I was being ignored by everyone, nobody seemed to be responding to anything I said. Even now, when I'm about to get lynched with only 2 days to try and convince you otherwise, I feel a good amount of you are ignoring me. If you're going to lynch me, at least do it in good fashion and ask me questions and such.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Ok, if you really are that busy, how come as soon as you had a wagon built up to L-2 you all of the sudden showed up for the first time in a while?

On a less rhetorical note: who's the play?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
My first post on Day 2 was Monday, November 30th, if that's what you're referring to. On Saturdays and Sundays I'm busy playing Brawl/Getting ready for school/playing in or modding large AIMafia games that last much longer than they should/etc. Weekends are surprisingly busy for me.

As for who I feel is a better lynch target than myself, I feel Cello more than anybody else.

When Frozen had clarified on the metagaming, and how what he did was not metagaming, I was willing to consider him leaning town after he answered that last question about skimming. I just wanted to see that one get answered with something reasonable/not entirely scummy, but he never did it.

I don't like the SRB lynch very much. I know you told us to forget we knew them and all... and I hate to say something like this... but SRB is the scummiest player ever. It doesn't matter if he's town or not, he's always so dang scummy, Unless you all had the idea of lynching him to teach him a lesson/hope he's scum.

I wasn't sure what to think of Cello until around his 3rd offense. I felt it was kinda silly for him to attack FrozenFlame for absolutely eveerything. Like, anything Frozen posted in any given defense, I think Cello had tried to make into something scummy. I mean, he gave a pretty good opinion with some of the observations, but far too many of them were just unnecessary, aimed at perfectly fine defenses.

Unvote FrozenFlame
Vote CelloMarl

FrozenFlame, I still want a response to that question.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
What question? Why am I allegedly skimming?

Obviously I disagree that I've been skimming at all. The only major misunderstanding I've had over the course of the debate was concerning the mathing out of the game that delvro tried to do. I misunderstood what kind of composition the game was predicted to have as he was mathing it out.

Other than that though, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I went back and look for this "question" you're talking about and honestly couldn't find it. If you could link me specifically to the question you want answered I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Point is though, if you're going to keep badgering me by saying "why did you skim?" over and over again I'm simply going to ignore it, because it's an inaccurate baseless accusation and my recent posts have shown that I've done nothing of the sort.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8988782&postcount=296
Cello explains one instance here(which I pointed out in a later post too), to add to that one math example(that's silly.) I was also under the assumption that you ironically skimmed over Ronike's original question addressed to you, about skimming, and then skimmed over Cello's repeat of it.

Also,
2) He's skimming articles and posts instead of reading them, and I can prove it.
I don't want to start Cello vs FrozenFlame round 5 or anything like that, but you may want to add to this, Cello.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8988782&postcount=296
Cello explains one instance here(which I pointed out in a later post too), to add to that one math example(that's silly.) I was also under the assumption that you ironically skimmed over Ronike's original question addressed to you, about skimming, and then skimmed over Cello's repeat of it.
I really have no idea what Cello's point was there.

Cello said:
Frozen has been skimming again. He paraphrased,

S2 said:
I personally don't like Cello's use of the metagaming argument, but I'll agree that although it isn't exactly reliable, it doesn't mean that Cello is wrong.
and entirely missed, two sentences down,

S2 said:
More importantly, though, he {Cello} clearly did use metagaming before, and just put it aside.
You said you didn't like Cello's use of metagaming. I commented on that and agreed. But then Cello says that me agreeing with you constituted skimming, and used that 2nd quote as evidence, but I fail to see how that second quote of you proves I skimmed at all. What does your second sentence even mean? You said Cello's metagaming approach was unreliable, but that doesn't necessitate him being wrong. I acknowledged that and argued that though it doesn't necessitate it, it certainly supports the idea that a case built entirely on metagaming is a poor case to act on. I could roll a dice and pick a random person in this game and say "X is scum because my dice told me." It would be a god awful reason to vote for someone, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong. See how that kind of logic fails?

You then go on to say "He {Cello} clearly did use metagaming before, and just put it aside." I'm not entirely sure what you were trying to say here. Are you trying to say something like "Cello metagamed here but no one cared, but now that he's targeting FF it matters?" Or did you mistype and meant to say that I was metagaming and that it was ironic that I was criticizing Cello (though I'd hope I've made the difference between my actions and his clear)?

But yeah, what I'm trying to say here is I've been accused of skimming here and skimming there, but then no one explains why or how they've concluded I'm skimming. The post you linked is a perfect example. Cello says I skimmed, posts two quotes, and doesn't explain it any further, despite the fact that there is no obvious relationship between the posts that makes anything I said seem inadequate because of missed information due to skimming.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I'm sorry, I pulled that out of context and didn't think that it'd cause a misunderstanding. This was the original paragraph of mine
My main deal with FrozenFlame right now was how he contradicted himself. I personally don't like Cello's use of the metagaming argument, but I'll agree that although it isn't exactly reliable, it doesn't mean that Cello is wrong. I feel that it was more of a general trend, than a precise playstyle, but yes it seems to fit how Frozen plays as "scum." More importantly, though, he clearly did use metagaming before, and just put it aside. On top of this, Cello made some other good arguments.
and then your response

And since I got ninja'd by Sold2, lol @ your vote reason.

"Just because he's metagaming, doesn't mean he's wrong."

Really? Really?!

I almost WANT you guys to lynch me now just so you all can learn your lesson about how bad metagaming is.

I went to great lengths to show you the universality of the many aspects of my game play that Cello has tried to specifically tailor to his uses as "scum tells", yet you continue to eat out of the palm of his hand.
You thought my vote reason was about the metagaming thing.

And so you know the reason I actually care about you skimming (I didn't get the quote from this one, but I ripped it out of the post Cello had, and I'm going to trust that Cello wouldn't edit a quote.)

"Very suspicious of KevinM atm. He clearly didn't take any time to consider what Cacti meant by his roleclaim. Furthermore, he says his only two candidates are Cacti and Riddle, both of which FF sees no reason for targeting. Very telling of skimming. Ergo, scummy."

This is said by FrozenFlame himself, in the Simpsons mafia(I think you were town at this point, but I don't know.)

Hopefully no more misunderstandings?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Oh, quickie that I missed,

"More importantly, though, he {Cello} clearly did use metagaming before, and just put it aside."

is actually

"More importantly, though, he {FrozenFlame} clearly did use metagaming before, and just put it aside."
I clarified this a couple posts after Cello's, and included the instances that I had thought you were metagaming in.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
You thought my vote reason was about the metagaming thing.

And so you know the reason I actually care about you skimming (I didn't get the quote from this one, but I ripped it out of the post Cello had, and I'm going to trust that Cello wouldn't edit a quote.)

"Very suspicious of KevinM atm. He clearly didn't take any time to consider what Cacti meant by his roleclaim. Furthermore, he says his only two candidates are Cacti and Riddle, both of which FF sees no reason for targeting. Very telling of skimming. Ergo, scummy."

This is said by FrozenFlame himself, in the Simpsons mafia(I think you were town at this point, but I don't know.)

Hopefully no more misunderstandings?
Well at that time your reason was part the metagaming aspect and part the fact that you thought I was contradicting myself.

I've already discussed the accusations of contradiction. If you accept my clarification of true metagaming, then you should understand that I've not contradicted myself.

If you're trying to ask me if I still think skimming is scummy then yes, I do. Deliberately trying to brush off aspects of a topic and pretending to miss them in order to avoid discussing them is traditionally scummy. I haven't done that though. I've answered the questions you guys have directed at me.

If you're wondering if I said that as town or mafia, check what point in the game it was said. If I said it day 1, I was town, if it was any later I was mafia. I'm fairly sure I said that day 1 though.

Oh, quickie that I missed,

"More importantly, though, he {Cello} clearly did use metagaming before, and just put it aside."

is actually

"More importantly, though, he {FrozenFlame} clearly did use metagaming before, and just put it aside."
I clarified this a couple posts after Cello's, and included the instances that I had thought you were metagaming in.
So this is calling me out on allegedly contradicting myself then? If that's the case, this should be put to rest considering I've already explained the key differences between what I did and what Cello is doing.

Cello_Marl

Smash Rookie
What question? Why am I allegedly skimming?

Obviously I disagree that I've been skimming at all. The only major misunderstanding I've had over the course of the debate was concerning the mathing out of the game that delvro tried to do. I misunderstood what kind of composition the game was predicted to have as he was mathing it out.
This is a completely open game. There is 1 Seer, 6 Townies, 3 Mafia, and 2 Wolves. The only way Frozen could possibly have "misunderstood the game's composition" was if he hadn't read the rules, something I just cannot believe, or if it's a lie to cover up a mistake.
If by game composition FF meant what the town to scum ratio would be at the end, then that's just an admission that he didn't read my post (i.e. skimming), since that was the major point of that post. Further, his absurd suggestions, such as an investigation being useful against mafia and the 'voting block', speak for themselves.

I'll link the post I made pointing this out (this is the second time I've done this).

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8974658&postcount=279

How could FF have come to the conclusions about my conclusions that he did, if he had actually read my post? He could not have. Ergo, skimming.

I made this point to Hilt before. That it's still even questioned, and as a 'silly math argument', is very disturbing.

@Steel Are you still fine with an S2 lynch?

@S2 You said that the post I'm linking to (my "math example") was silly. Explain that for me, please. Also, FF isn't going to actually answer why he skimmed, and is just going to keep dodging it. It's mostly rhetorical anyway, and just shows everyone else just how scummy he's been.

@Ronike You once stated that skimming=scummy to you normally. What's changed your mind here? If you have to time to type out FF's 'awesomeness', I'd like to hear it. Also, if you think that I'm tunnel-visioned for only listing FF as my lynch candidate, then ask yourself this; just how are you going to be able to convince this crowd to do anything without an actual scum confession? Actually, it looks like Xiivi has the answer to that one.

@Everyone I work mornings for the next two days, but I'll be checking the boards those nights. Probably twice tomorrow, and I'll monitor from 6 pm till time on Saturday.

If you have a view or point to make, now's the time.

I'm going to take my own advice on my last statement.
I dropped most of the issues FF brought up because I thought we could use that time to scumhunt a little before next day. That's not been happening as far as I see.

FrozenFlame said:
If it's not Pro-town play, then what is it? Neutral play? Bland play? Worthless play? If it's not pro town, there isn't exactly a long continuum of types of play in can be. Just for the sake of argument, I'd be willing to provisionally accept that some play might be considered "neutral play" but I have a hard time understanding how explicitly non-pro-town play is not poor town play. They're idealistically one in the same, despite that fact that simply not playing in a pro town manner and explicitly playing in an anti-town manner are mechanically different.

As for the whole quality thing, while your simplified example does show an instance where simply addressing the quality of a player's argument isn't exactly pro-town, that's about the extent of it. You gave an example of a situation very unlike what is occurring in this game. I agree that I am not townie by virtue of simply addressing point quality, however my point goes beyond that. My townieness is shown by the fact that I'm addressing the quality of your arguments with well developed points and explanations. I've gone far beyond a simple "addressing" and gone far into actual explanation for my opinions on the quality of your arguments.
Good play is pro-town play? That argument is ****ing ridiculous. You've stated yourself that your play is consistent. You've asserted that your own play is good. How can this be? If your play is good, it's always pro-town, even if you are scum. No. It doesn't work that way. ALL play is neutral or bad play. IDEALISTICALLY, scum will be playing like town. Period. The only "play" that can be explicitly town is an indisputable town role claim, such as a uncountered seer in this game after the wolves are dead.

How is the example I gave different than what's happened here? You've certainly valued my opinions as much as you would have KK's. Moreover, a point brought up by Steel shows the invalidity of your latter argument. How does going into an "actual explanation of your opinions on the quality of my arguments" do anything but show long-windedness?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't skim the math argument, nor did I skim you post. I just didn't feel like debating it as a side debate because it was clear from your posts that you don't understand how to math a game out, at least in a scenario where information concerning roles is out in the open.

There are a lot of assumptions you have to make concerning Delvros plan (which is why it wasn't a good plan, and why I ultimately voted for him), but if things played out as he had intended his plan DOES increase the chance of a mafia or town victory.

The scenarios he presented were entirely accurate. In a scenario where we are in LyLo and must lynch a mafia, he's the play. Town has a 100% chance at saving itself then. Ideally, Delvro hoped this composition would not occur, but it was a risk he was willing to take. Whether or not that situation was likely to occur is moot, seeing as how he had obviously decided putting himself in the open was a necessary risk.

Lets look now at a scenario where town must lynch a wolf to have a chance at winning. With Delvro left alive, thats one confirmed person who we know is NOT a wolf, and thus, town's chance of survival goes up. If we have a seer still alive who can claim, AND has cleared results, then that's even better. The chances of town making the correct play go up DRAMATICALLY when we know who is NOT the play given the situation.

As far as nightkill chances go, you've made an elementary mistake in assuming NKs a random, especially when there are revealed roles available. Once Delvro revealed, if he was left alive, it puts the wolves in an interesting position. Do they kill him at night to prevent the town from using knowledge of his alignment in endgame? Or do they shoot for another townie, but risk not hitting a townie and another, non revealed mafiat instead? When there is open information available to influence night choices, the game stops being about numbers and more about weighing options and choosing a path to go down. Trying to reduce his plan to a moronic level of simplicity such as "80% of the time, the final scenario would have been 4 townies versus 1 mafia." The wolves don't use a random number generator to make their kill, and neither should you when trying to predict endgame scenarios.

Leaving a confirmed mafia alive in this game doesn't increase or decrease the chances of a town getting hit by wolves in ANY predictable manner. If the wolves are trying to kill townies, Delvro revealing INCREASES the chance that a townie dies at night. If the wolves are trying to kill of mafia in a given scenario and know that delvro is a mafia, that doesn't increase the chances that he'll be targeted, it virtually guarantees it!

It is this fundamental error in elementary understanding of how you math out mafia games that made me not want to debate it. There were more pertinent issues to discuss and I opted to discuss them.

I didn't skim, I didn't lie, and I'm not covering anything up.

Concerning "good" play, congratulations on employing fallacy of equivocation! Not sure whether you did this intentionally or not, but the point remains that you've equivocated what "good" means in a given context.

"Good play" is pro-town play in the sense that they are interchangeable terms that mean the same thing. More simply, "pro-town play" is "good" play, from the "town" player's perspective. Doing things that are pro-town is generally a good way to play universally, since if you're playing in a pro-town way, then you're not going to fall under suspicion usually and thus, you increase your survival which is good for you regardless of faction, during the day at least. Sometimes though, being a "pro-town" player is "bad play" in the sense that being too helpful or too ambitious can bring you under the spotlight. This can be a disadvantageous position to be in if you are a town PR, as it can get you killed at night. Furthermore, this could be bad play for someone who is of anti-town alignment, as helping the town make too many good decisions can make it more likely that the town will catch you and your anti-town allies.

When I refer to my own play as good, it is always meant situationally. Of course a contention that someones play is always good is ridiculous, but of course, you would jump at the opportunity to claim common sense as your own stroke of genius. I've contended that my play is consistent. I've contended my play is good at times. I NEVER contended that my play is consistently good. I even provided an example of when I had poor pro-town play (i.e., not dismissing metagaming in FFVII mafia)! That was good play in the sense that it helped the mafia win when I was mafia, but it was POOR town play.

NO ONE has universally good play. Everyone makes mistakes. If someone had universally "good" play, they'd fufill their roles perfectly regardless of faction. They'd be the scum that never gets lynched and the town PR that dodges lynch and nightkill. What is "good" play from a player's perspective and "good" play from the towns perspective can be COMPLETELY different things.

The fact that you're contending that no play outside of an indisputable town role claim is pro-town is ludicrous. You're contending that just because the possibility exists that a person who is playing in a very pro-town manner MIGHT not be town aligned, we can not with certainty say that that play is pro-town. You're saying that just because a non-town player's pro-town play might be helping him win OVER the town (which means that from his perspective is play is both pro-town AND anti-town, in a sense that it's helping him survive), that we can't consider it pro-town. By that logic, anything and everything a confirmed town role does is pro-town, since you're asserting that play is only pro or anti town by virtue of whether or not we have knowledge of their alignment.

Sorry, but I need to tell YOU that mafia doesn't work that way. You're making in game judgements that rely on information that you don't get until AFTER the game (or atleast after people die). You can't use hindsight like that.

Ultimately, pro town play is play that encourages or encompasses behaviors and modes of the discussion and deduction that traditionally help the town find scum and win. That encompasses a LOT of behaviors, far too many for me to list here. But in principle, that's how it works. Just because a person who is anti-town by ALIGNMENT is doing something that is explicitly pro-town in CONCEPT, doesn't take away form the pro-townness of that action. Logically speaking it is to be expected that said player is probably acting in that manner to further his own anti-town agenda, but actions that are pro-town in concept that coincidentally fit the favor of an anti-town faction do not render those actions as no longer pro-town.

And lastly, the question of "how does explaining opinions show anything but long windedness?" Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here aren't you?

The more a play talks about, reasons out, and explains, the better an understanding you can get about that player's though process. More details means more information. More thorough explanations gives the town more to talk about, more to discuss, and more to debate. The more thorough a response is, the better chance that a poster's true intentions will show in it or that scum will slip or make a grave error in reasoning, contradict themselves, etc. The more thoroughly the details of things are hashed out, the more apparent inconsistencies will become. Having thorough debates are wars of attrition that scum lose more often than not. You'd be hard pressed to find any competent mafia player that believes not explaining your arguments in thorough detail is a good town play.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
@S2 You said that the post I'm linking to (my "math example") was silly. Explain that for me, please. Also, FF isn't going to actually answer why he skimmed, and is just going to keep dodging it. It's mostly rhetorical anyway, and just shows everyone else just how scummy he's been.
I believe I wasn't referring to your math example, but rather, just a group of arguments you made, that I felt were silly. By silly, I'm meaning, I felt that you had no reason to make the argument, that the argument wasn't good, and that what was originally said in it was fine.

I've already discussed the accusations of contradiction. If you accept my clarification of true metagaming, then you should understand that I've not contradicted myself.

If you're trying to ask me if I still think skimming is scummy then yes, I do. Deliberately trying to brush off aspects of a topic and pretending to miss them in order to avoid discussing them is traditionally scummy. I haven't done that though. I've answered the questions you guys have directed at me.

So this is calling me out on allegedly contradicting myself then? If that's the case, this should be put to rest considering I've already explained the key differences between what I did and what Cello is doing.
Yes, I know you discussed that. It was part of my unvote reason, and it was what I said before i asked you originally the skimming question. The skimming question was just getting on my nerves, and I wanted to see if anything of value would come out of it before I moved on. I do accept your clarifications and so-on.

Top Bottom