• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Next Gen

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well, I tried. ^^;

I've got a back-up idea, though. How about changing weather depending on the season? Normal during spring with rare storms, frequent and strong stormy weather in summer, visible breezes during fall, and... If you can't figure out the weather in winter, umm... :p

Perhaps add a bit more customization to the main characters- purchasable clothing, for example? I dunno. I'm a mechanical arm throwing out ideas, and the PokeCenter's a minigun. ^^;;;

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Ok, I had a couple of ideas for the plot as well...

Well, in my mind, we are in the Tropical Region(but it works with whatever) of Insert Name Here. Everything is all good and well in the land of Insert Name Here. A young trainer(you) wakes up one morning and goes outside (this is your Protaganist).
Wonders around, checks out the local Pokemon Lab where he meets Professor Euca (guy or girl whatever). Euca needs our trainer to run up to the next city and deliver a message to his wife, who works there. He gives specific caution do the trainer to not go in the tall grass and to find your way through the maze of rainforest trees to avoid the grass.
So our trainer (you)heads off (preferably north), into the rainforesty maze, (btw its not a forest its just a configuration of trees that takes you around where the grass is).
As we reach the end of our little romp through the jungle, you spot something in the middle of the road. What is it?
It's three fainted Pokemon, covered in a white mysterious green powder!
SUDDENLY, from the jungle or some side path, a girl/boy comes sprinting out, collliding with you. You chat briefly, mainly her asking who you are and why there are Pokemon fainted there. You say nothing (as usual) but somehow your silence communicates your innocence in the matter.
Two men then come down from the north, dressed in green and black. They look like bad guys...
They demand that the Pokemon are theirs and tell you to hand them over.
The girl turns to you and says "We should fight back, I only have two max revives though...quick, pick a pokemon".
You pick a starter, then she does, and you double battle the bad guys, preferably you win.
Afterwards, Euca's wife comes down after the baddies have left, as she is on her way home anyway, sees you have a message, takes it, hears your story and recommends you go see her husband about it.

So the bad guys are Team Spore, a sub-branch of team rocket, however you want to tie them in (or not). And basically their tactics and mission is just the mass sporing of large amounts of Pokemon throughout the game, which we must stop.
For example there would be parts of the game where you maybe come to a city with Safari Zone, only to find all the Pokemon spored and the place overrun with Team Spore, you would then have to work your way through like it was Silph Co. and beat the last guy before they leave etc.

Their ultimate task would in the end, be to create a spore great enough to faint our versions legendary and catch it so they can rule the world or whatever, which would be cool if it only made it angry, thus you have to battle/catch...
Still dont know what we think of my plot idea?

Spire

III
BRoomer
The world of project: Pokemon Rust

BRIEF DESCRIPTION:
When it comes to the world, I'm going to borrow our idea from "Pokemon: Rust". It is an industrial, polluted world, built atop a sub-tropical region. In the wilds, there are dry wheat fields, tropical beaches, polluted beaches and landfills, and perhaps various other types of land. There's one large metropolis, built alongside a bay, polluting it, the air around it, and subsequently the rest of the land and sea with time. Furthermore, there is an oil rig out at sea which is able to be visited. One thing is for sure - this world is not based around the idea of gyms and an elite four, as this world is not connected to the Japan-based regions at all. That is a social tradition that was founded and practiced in that part of the world.

ENCOUNTERS:
Aside from the wilds, Pokemon may in fact, be encountered within the large city, in such places as alleyways, water treatment plants, rooftops, the city park, and what have you. These Pokemon, would of course, be expected to be found in a city, such as Meowth, Poochyena, Grimer, Elekid, and new Pokemon of course.

CONCEPT:
The main principle behind this world is the clash between the natural, the industrious and that which is corrupt. The first signifies Pokemon, the second, man, and the third, Pokemon who have been affected by man so much that their ways of evolution have warped.

STARTERS:
The three starter Pokemon could be designed as follows:
- Grass is natural
- Fire is industrial
- Water is corrupt

This perfectly reflects the key concepts behind the design of the world, as the wilds are natural, the fires fuel industrialization, and the waters are being polluted.

PLOT/CRIME SYNDICATE:
As for the crime syndicate, they try to protect the natural world at the expense of destroying what man creates. Like the other crime syndicates, they are terrorists, but fight for a cause that players might actually find themselves to side with. The ideals presented by this "Team" are presented in a pacifistic manner, so as to truly, morally confuse the player. By the end of the game, the world is balanced, as the team is completely obliterated, but their impact changes the way the industrial world functions. You are not some crazy Giratina-catching hero, but rather one of the key instruments in the changing of this world.

Anyways, I could go on and write more about this idea.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
SO what?

DO they end up as

Grass

FIre/ Metal

Water/ POison

?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know about Fire/Metal, but maybe Fire/Steel...

But it's not just the types that I was alluding to, more so the design.
Heh, I wasn't paying full attention...

I Still think they should call it metal instead of steel

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They definitely should call it metal, and Dragon should be mythical or something. Those types are way too specific, and can be broken down much better.

Spire

III
BRoomer
They definitely should call it metal, and Dragon should be mythical or something. Those types are way too specific, and can be broken down much better.
Thank you. Couldn't agree more.
If they haven't changed Steel to Metal by now, they won't.
You realize that Steel IS a type of Metal, so.....yeah >_>, it's basically the same thing, holla.
No, Steel is not basically the same thing as Metal. What about a Pokemon that's based on the concept of bronze, like Bronzor? He's limited to "steel", not "metal", and therefore is a fraud. You'd think that by now they'd have made a Pokemon based on gold, but they are limited now because they made the mistake of naming it Steel.

However, there's always room for improvement and correction. If 5th Gen marked the start of an entirely new era in Pokemon, they could change it, and I would have absolutely no problem with it. They could also change both Nidaran Male & Female to be one Pokemon, and to fill the gap, add a new Pokemon into the original 151. I really wouldn't mind, because the actual original 151 will always be what we know.

Better yet, 5th Gen could simply be a "best of" generation, in a new region with the absolute best balanced Pokedex drawing from all four past generations. Could we discuss this idea? If we could select 200 Pokemon exactly - fifty from each generation - to make up the absolute best Pokedex, who would it be? Don't just pick your favorites, let's actually think this through.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Bronzor only had the name, he looks like he was mostly made of iron. That's beside the point, I think they named the type steel, because when people think of a strong metal that is what they immediately think of. Steel is probably one of the few types where Nintendo did a "What do people think of when they think of ____?" type of question and then thought from there. Also, how tough does the word metal sound to you? wouldn't you think steel is tougher sounding and looking than just, metal?

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Better yet, 5th Gen could simply be a "best of" generation, in a new region with the absolute best balanced Pokedex drawing from all four past generations. Could we discuss this idea? If we could select 200 Pokemon exactly - fifty from each generation - to make up the absolute best Pokedex, who would it be? Don't just pick your favorites, let's actually think this through.
Wait, you'll have to include the new starters + new yet undecided Pokemon to = EPIC Pokedex!!

Maybe 25 from each gen, then new Pokes from 5th gen, maybe an odd amount like in 3rd gen.

Maybe have some equal variety with types to prevent 4th gen's inclusion of 5 fire types??? (10 in Plat)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I think GameFreak is all ready working on a 5th gen :ohwell: so a Greatest Hits region probably won't happen.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Bronzor only had the name, he looks like he was mostly made of iron. That's beside the point, I think they named the type steel, because when people think of a strong metal that is what they immediately think of. Steel is probably one of the few types where Nintendo did a "What do people think of when they think of ____?" type of question and then thought from there. Also, how tough does the word metal sound to you? wouldn't you think steel is tougher sounding and looking than just, metal?
Good point. However, like Firus, I would prefer "Mythic" (not Mythical) over "Dragon" any day. This would open up so many possibilities, yet would label those by the type as particularly rare.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't steel a manufactured metal?

there shouldn't be wild steel type pokemon in that case.

...Anyway, If it's steel type, why are there Iron based attacks such as Iron Tail?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Because one of them is inaccurate. Either the Iron or the Steel.

XACE-K

Smash Master
That would be pretty cool. I want to do this now. But should we include all the starters from the previous gens or choose 1 for each type.

Edit: Also, legendaries too. Which ones will belong in this place and which wouldn't.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That would be pretty cool. I want to do this now. But should we include all the starters from the previous gens or choose 1 for each type.

Edit: Also, legendaries too. Which ones will belong in this place and which wouldn't.
Like said above, perhaps we should choose 50* Pokemon from each generation + 9 for new starters, and 6 Legendaries. That's 215 Pokemon.

Remember, we need to try and perfectly balance all of the represented types. That means for the 215 total (200 from all four generations), we would need at least 3 representatives of each type from each generation (there will be complications due to dual-type Pokemon).

So, if I could start listing Pokemon to include:

- Pikachu/Raichu (2 Electric 1st Gen reps)
- Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam (3 Psychic 1st Gen reps)
- Grimer/Muk (2 Poison 1st Gen reps)
- Magmar (1 Fire 1st Gen rep)
- Electabuzz (1 Electric 1st Gen rep; completes the 3 reps)
- Scyther (1 Bug; 1 Flying 1st Gen rep)
- Magikarp/Gyarados (2 Water; 1 Flying 1st Gen reps)

etc, etc.

I know that's a mouthful, but I can further explain if any of you don't understand the system.

So let's tally this up. So far, we have:

1st Generation
Normal =
Fighting =
Flying = 2 (Scyther, Gyarados)
Poison = 2 (Grimer/Muk)
Ground =
Rock =
Bug = 1 (Scyther)
Ghost =
Steel =
Fire = 1 (Magmar)
Water = 2 (Magikarp/Gyarados)
Grass =
Electric = 3 (Pikachu/Raichu, Electabuzz)
Psychic = 3 (Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam)
Ice =
Dragon =
Dark =

That's 11 different reps for the 1st Gen so far.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Wobbufett- Instant classic and a staple of the anime.
Larvitar-T-tar-only dark/rock type to date.

Should we have a separate thread called "Best of Pokedex"?

I don't like the idea of mythic replacing dragon. Mythic and dragon makes sense, how would you justify ice being effective against Mythic?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wobbufett- Instant classic and a staple of the anime.
Larvitar-T-tar-only dark/rock type to date.

Should we have a separate thread called "Best of Pokedex"?

I don't like the idea of mythic replacing dragon. Mythic and dragon makes sense, how would you justify ice being effective against Mythic?
WHat justifies dragon weak against ice?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
A zebra pokemon? Sounds good.

Speaking of which, how about an African-based area in the next game? Maybe as a Safari?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion

Zebrevanah
Type: Grass/Dark
Abilities: Vital Spirit / Chlorophyll
HP: 50
Attack: 90
Defence: 65
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 55
Speed: 80​

So this would be the second form of that Zebra Grass starter that we talked about ages ago..
It'd be Grass/Dark by this stage though. Took a fair while to scratch but I love him, I think he is my best sprite yet, not that there is too much competition for that title.
I guess he would run like a sexier version of Shiftry.
I would love to know what you think!
Edit: The first form (Zeebrief) should be coming tonight or this weekend.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
That's a pretty cool sprite, Greenstreet.

Sorry if this has been thrown around already (I'm somewhat new to this thread), but if a Grass-Type Zebra starter were included, how about a Fire-Type Lion? I can't think of a Water-Type animal to fit the trend right now, so any ideas?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
a hoenn remake doesn't seem all that unlikely for the 5th generation...heh.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
a hoenn remake doesn't seem all that unlikely for the 5th generation...heh.
No, unless you mean it would be part of 5th gen then, yes, it's possible. Nintendo always releases a new gen for every portable system they make (not including things like the DSi or the gameboy micro).

Also, the zebra sprite looks amazing, nice job!

-:bowser:Bowser King

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Meh, fire lion are like the words that describe generic. Just about everyone wants a fire lion, so how about something different?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
His stats don't make sense to me. Why is his highest stat Sp Def? Grass is already weak to ice and fire, so that doesn't do him any good, and giving him low defense when he is weak to fighting types now, as well as poison, flying, and a 4 times weakness to bug. In order to keep him from being in the NU environment, I suggest we change his stats to make him a powerhouse grass physical sweeper, making his speed and attack his highest stat.
Also, starters only have on ability, and that ability is special to them.
Its a great concept though!

also, just incase anyone missed my idea for water and fire starter.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7649214&postcount=53

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what Eeveelutions 5th will bring, they might give Eevee a break too. Can't wait to see new type combinations that will further unbalance overpoweredness of certain pokémons <3 Also they might include new messed up ways to evolve pokémon that would rock too

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I wonder what Eeveelutions 5th will bring, they might give Eevee a break too. Can't wait to see new type combinations that will further unbalance overpoweredness of certain pokémons <3 Also they might include new messed up ways to evolve pokémon that would rock too
If they keep to tradition, then there will either be no more Eeveelutions introduced or it will be dragon type. Reason being is so far, every type they've used were governed by the special attack stat pre-4th gen.

Also, I like the ideas so far for safari starters, apart from the lion. I pray for a flaming elephant. That **** would be crazy.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
His stats don't make sense to me. Why is his highest stat Sp Def? Grass is already weak to ice and fire, so that doesn't do him any good, and giving him low defense when he is weak to fighting types now, as well as poison, flying, and a 4 times weakness to bug. In order to keep him from being in the NU environment, I suggest we change his stats to make him a powerhouse grass physical sweeper, making his speed and attack his highest stat.
Also, starters only have on ability, and that ability is special to them.
Its a great concept though!

also, just incase anyone missed my idea for water and fire starter.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7649214&postcount=53
Lol, I just threw in random numbers, it doesn't really matter, I just felt like giving him some stats.
Feel free to edit stats/abilities as you please.
I've scratched the basics for the first form of him I just need to add colours/textures/grass elements and such and mess around a bit... I can't wait tho :)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
That's alright. Like I said earlier in this thread, when I fantasize, I think of things I wish for competitively. A physical sweeper with grass and dark stab could be a potential counter to many common threats today, from Metagross, Garchomp, Gayrados, Tyranitar, and Starme just to name a few.
As for its ability, I propose something along the lines of this

Fight or Flight- Any time this pokemon's stat is lowered, its speed increases 1 stage. Any time the opponents stats increase, this pokemon's attack is increased 1 stage.

Most importantly, this means that using Close Combat will increase your speed, and any time you encounter a move like intimidate, you gain speed. Any time a pokemon uses Dragon Dance or Sword Dance, an increase in its attack will keep the power coming on. Another plausible use would be swagger, making the opponent confused, increasing their attack, while increasing your attack as well. The swagger sweeper could be the ideal counter to physical walls.

So, likely counters to this pokemon, and ways to keep him from being over powered?

Its speed should be respectable to begin with, but should not be along the lines to keep up without boost with the likes of Weavile. Its attack should be viewed the same, strong and formidable, but not quite a heracross.

A likely and very easy counter is anything that can take a hit and knows thunder wave or spore. Shutting down his offensive options gives him little room to operate, though that in itself can be a hard thing to do. Breloom and Skarmory both come to mind in likely counters, Skarmory able to resist both stats attacks, whirlwind away its stats, or drill peck its weak defenses. Weavile can also probably OHKO with Ice Punch, but if powered up, this pokemon could destroy a non choice scarf Weavile.

In fact, what sounded before to be an overpowered pokemon now proves to have very common counters while also being in itself a counter to common threats, thus a pokemon completely dependent on the metagame at the time.

EDIT- After reading this over, maybe I should go into game design o.o

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Wouldn't Scizor do well? X-scissor would hit hard and I would think scizor would be faster.

If it were built like CrashiC said, then Scizor wouldn't outspeed. It doesn't really matter though, because the thing would barely even scratch Scizor while Scizor would straight up murder it.

Top Bottom