• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
Charles Martinet may have stepped down as a voice actor and become a Mario ambassador, but as you know he will always be the legend behind the voice of Mario. With The Super Mario Bros. Movie having another voice actor Chris Pratt voice Mario it's questionable if he'll continue to voice him for Charles Martinet for much longer.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Charles Martinet may have stepped down as a voice actor and become a Mario ambassador, but as you know he will always be the legend behind the voice of Mario. With The Super Mario Bros Movie having another voice actor Chris Pratt voice Mario it's questionable if he'll continue to voice Charles Martinet for much longer.
It looks like they already changed the voice actor in both Super Mario Wonder and Warioware. They may continue to use clips Martinet’s voice but I don’t think he’ll be recording any new lines. As for Chris Pratt, I highly doubt he will become the new voice of Mario in games for the same reason I don’t see Jim Carrey voicing Dr. Eggman outside of the movies. Hollywood actors don’t tend to voice video games very often from what I’ve noticed.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
This is really bummer. Martinet was those voice actors were he literally was the character like Pollock for Eggman, Nozwa for Goku, Earl Grey Vader etc

Change is inevitable so it wasn't going to last forever but man, it going to be real struggle to see Mario and the rest of the Italian the same again.

Also: Yeah it has been confirmed. Smash Ultimate will be Martinet's last Smash Appearance. Unless it's a port, Smash 6 will star the new actors.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
This might start a new era for Mario.
It's going to be weird to hear Mario with a new voice after him having the same voice for over 50+ games, but not everything lasts, i'm curious who the new VA will be.

Also, how likely do you guys think is a Astral Chain character for the next game? I heard the game is fully owned by Nintendo now (They purchased it, iirc), so it seems like Nintendo is interested in the IP in some way.
I heard some people saying that "the moveset might be too complex/complicated for smash" as a reason they might not be included, i've never played the game so i don't know about the game very well, but i know you use "Legionis" that fight along you in Astral Chain, and looking at videos it doesn't seem like it would be impossible to translate in Smash to me, but again i'm not a game devoloper so i could totally be wrong here.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This might start a new era for Mario.
It's going to be weird to hear Mario with a new voice after him having the same voice for over 50+ games, but not everything lasts, i'm curious who the new VA will be.

Also, how likely do you guys think is a Astral Chain character for the next game? I heard the game is fully owned by Nintendo now (They purchased it, iirc), so it seems like Nintendo is interested in the IP in some way.
I heard some people saying that "the moveset might be too complex/complicated for smash" as a reason they might not be included, i've never played the game so i don't know about the game very well, but i know you use "Legionis" that fight along you in Astral Chain, and looking at videos it doesn't seem like it would be impossible to translate in Smash to me, but again i'm not a game devoloper so i could totally be wrong here.
I think Astral Chain has a great shot to make it in if there are any future plans to continue the series. If it was just a one-off game, I’d say the chances are significantly less but not impossible. I would love an Astral Chain character since I really enjoyed playing through the game. My favorite character from the game was Jenna Anderson (a major antagonist) but her only real shot is if they can’t figure out how to make the legion mechanic work but still want representation or we somehow get two characters. Officer Howard is far and away the most likely but they do have a really fun combat system and the legions themselves are really cool so I’d be happy even if we just got them. Jenna could still get in as a boss or assist trophy.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Dunno what I can add that hasn't been already. Mr. Martinet, thank you for nearly 30 years of bringing so much joy to children and everyone else the world over. I figured he would step down eventually, but I nonetheless wish him the best.

On a Smash-related note; correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a rumor that Terry would come with two other SNK characters as something of a team? If that was the case and an SNK Challenger Pack came with three fighters, which three characters would you pick? You could pick team strictly from King of Fighters, or pick any three characters from across SNK.

My picks would be Terry, Iori and Nakoruru purely for their popularity as well as being part of SNK's three most well-known fighting games (Fatal Fury, the one that started it all for SNK's pixelated pugilism; King of Fighters, the culmination of the groundwork laid by Fatal Fury, as well as a celebration of SNK in general; and Samurai Shodown, the weapon-based fighting game that preceded even Soul Edge).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If anyone deserves an enjoyable ambassadorship at Nintendo, its Martinet given how consistently good he's been.

As far as potential replacements, I would be heartily amused if the next voice actor made Mario sound like a gruff guy from Brooklyn again, but they still gave him the same kind of lines.

"Hey yo, its a me Mario; wahoo and all that."

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
On a Smash-related note; correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a rumor that Terry would come with two other SNK characters as something of a team? If that was the case and an SNK Challenger Pack came with three fighters, which three characters would you pick? You could pick team strictly from King of Fighters, or pick any three characters from across SNK.

My picks would be Terry, Iori and Nakoruru purely for their popularity as well as being part of SNK's three most well-known fighting games (Fatal Fury, the one that started it all for SNK's pixelated pugilism; King of Fighters, the culmination of the groundwork laid by Fatal Fury, as well as a celebration of SNK in general; and Samurai Shodown, the weapon-based fighting game that preceded even Soul Edge).
This, but a Capcom Versus-themed team, formed by Morrigan, Strider Hiryu and Amingo.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If anyone deserves an enjoyable ambassadorship at Nintendo, its Martinet given how consistently good he's been.

As far as potential replacements, I would be heartily amused if the next voice actor made Mario sound like a gruff guy from Brooklyn again, but they still gave him the same kind of lines.

"Hey yo, its a me Mario; wahoo and all that."
I loved Lou Albano’s portrayal of Mario in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. He was actually my personal favorite actor for Mario. I think the whole cast of that show did a great job. If we got something closer to that again, I’d be fine although it is admittedly a big departure now that we’re so used to Martinet’s version.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Charles Martinet had voiced Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi, but that's no guarantee that a new and unique voice actor will be voicing all four as it could be different voice actors.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
is there a "summoner" type of character you guys want in smash? most of the time we get brawler or swordfighter or gunner but what do you think of summoner type?
Yeah, there’s a few I’d love to see actually. The one I’d be most excited for is Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft. My idea for her is she could use a meter similar to Hero’s MP that she can use to summon various Zerg units. One of which would act like a trap underground and damage opponents that walk over them (Lurker or Defiler). Another would be a wandering unit like Dedede’s Waddle Dees and Doos from Brawl (Hydralisk). The last would summon a few units that leap forward for a quick attack and disappear afterwards (Zergling on ground and Scourge in air). The way she would build up her meter is there could be a unit moving in the background like Pokémon Trainer that collected resources to use.

The others I’d love to see are Princess Garnet from FFIX, who is a hybrid between a summoner and white mage in her game but would lean more towards her summoner role for Smash. Unlike Kerrigan, Garnet’s summons would quickly appear for a single attack and then disappear, closer to something like Bayonetta’s Smash attacks. Crono could be a fun option with a moveset focused around dual techs with his partners. Officer Howard from Astral Chain would be a unique take on a summoner and would probably function more similarly to Ice Climbers or Rosalina with the ability to swap out between multiple different legions with different attributes and attacks.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.... What are your thoughts on Bravely Default getting some major representation in the next Smash game?

I'm getting some Banjo/Bayonetta vibes. It's a third party franchise that Nintendo has taken some immense interest in.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
is there a "summoner" type of character you guys want in smash? most of the time we get brawler or swordfighter or gunner but what do you think of summoner type?
I mean, I'm sort of obligated to mention an SMT rep for this, since that's the main gimmick of the (main) series. I'd assume you would summon a single demon at a time who'd work like an assist trophy, and you'd probably have a choice between a few of them. They technically could just tie demons to individual attacks, but that would be boring, especially considering that the protagonists of 3-5 can all use magic on their own.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So.... What are your thoughts on Bravely Default getting some major representation in the next Smash game?

I'm getting some Banjo/Bayonetta vibes. It's a third party franchise that Nintendo has taken some immense interest in.
I like Bravely Default so I’d be happy to see it get something in Smash. If I had to choose, I think I’d prefer something from Octopath Traveller. I’ve bought every Bravely game but something about Octopath just clicks with me more. Both games have the condition where the movesets are tied to the classes rather than the characters themselves so I wonder if a Hero type situation could work for either series pulling moves from every class so we could have the whole party share a moveset. Octopath just happens to have 8 playable characters per game which perfectly lines up with Ultimate’s 8 outfit slots. The biggest challenge is working around characters with different frames. That’s a lot easier with Bravely since the characters are all roughly the same size.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Yuna from Final Fantasy X is the first summoner character that comes to my mind, of course, i doubt she'll become playable, Since the next FF rep in line is probably Tifa, but based on her Dissidia NT moveset, she could have a cool moveset.

I think a Bravely Default rep would be cool, if the series keep getting new entries i could see it happening at some point, i'm not sure if it will happen next game, i think the next SE reps in line are Geno, Tifa, 2B maybe a Octopath rep (Tressa is my guess) since the two OT games did pretty well for a relatively new IP.
I do think an AT for BD next game is defeinitely possible, like Edea or Agnes poping out and casting spells or performing skills from BD.

I mean, I'm sort of obligated to mention an SMT rep for this, since that's the main gimmick of the (main) series. I'd assume you would summon a single demon at a time who'd work like an assist trophy, and you'd probably have a choice between a few of them. They technically could just tie demons to individual attacks, but that would be boring, especially considering that the protagonists of 3-5 can all use magic on their own.
Now that SMT has been brought up, do you think the SMT reo would be Nahobino or Demi-Fiend (I never played SMT, but those are the names i heard the most).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yuna from Final Fantasy X is the first summoner character that comes to my mind, of course, i doubt she'll become playable, Since the next FF rep in line is probably Tifa, but based on her Dissidia NT moveset, she could have a cool moveset.

I think a Bravely Default rep would be cool, if the series keep getting new entries i could see it happening at some point, i'm not sure if it will happen next game, i think the next SE reps in line are Geno, Tifa, 2B maybe a Octopath rep (Tressa is my guess) since the two OT games did pretty well for a relatively new IP.
I do think an AT for BD next game is defeinitely possible, like Edea or Agnes poping out and casting spells or performing skills from BD.

Now that SMT has been brought up, do you think the SMT reo would be Nahobino or Demi-Fiend (I never played SMT, but those are the names i heard the most).
Do you think they’d actually do a third FFVII character before representing a different game in the series? It’s definitely possible but I’d personally like to see another character if not for the expanded music alone. Pretty much anyone from VII would be more than welcome though. I think there was a rumor a while back for an FFIX remake and animated series so Zidane, Vivi, or Garnet might make sense if they wanted to promote that. Final Fantasy IX is my personal favorite followed by X, VII, VI, and VIII in that order so I’d be happy with anyone from those games. Cecil from IV could be cool as well.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Probably not that weird. Because they're probably just going to get a sound-alike. Mario impressions aren't hard to do.
Case in point:
Mild content warning.

Its one of those series where i dont expect it but if it did happen i would just nod and go "Yeah, that makes sense"

toonito

Smash Ace
Dunno what I can add that hasn't been already. Mr. Martinet, thank you for nearly 30 years of bringing so much joy to children and everyone else the world over. I figured he would step down eventually, but I nonetheless wish him the best.

I dont recall such a rumor but there was lil speculation that a team could be picked for Smash

IMO you can go a number of ways with a team for Terry

Terry/Andy/Joe (classic)
Terry/Andy/Blue Mary (brother and love interest)
Terry/Kyo/Haohmaru (or Nakoruru) (same idea as ur picks Team SNK)
Terry/Geese/Rock (hero, villain, and hybrid)
Terry/Rock/B. Jenet (team garou)
Terry/Nakoruru/Marco (Team SNK v2)
Terry/Shun'ei/Isla (1st SNK protag with current KOF protags)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It's gonna be weird not having Charles Martinet voice Mario. This really is the end of an era.
The soundalike in the new Mario game seems like they did a really good job and sounds very similar to Charles Martinet. So maybe it won't be a big deal.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I dont recall such a rumor but there was lil speculation that a team could be picked for Smash

IMO you can go a number of ways with a team for Terry

Terry/Andy/Joe (classic)
Terry/Andy/Blue Mary (brother and love interest)
Terry/Kyo/Haohmaru (or Nakoruru) (same idea as ur picks Team SNK)
Terry/Geese/Rock (hero, villain, and hybrid)
Terry/Rock/B. Jenet (team garou)
Terry/Nakoruru/Marco (Team SNK v2)
Terry/Shun'ei/Isla (1st SNK protag with current KOF protags)
The idea of Rock being on a team with both of his dads is funny.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Nintendo has announced Charles Martinet will no longer be the voice of Mario, with him now being Mario Ambassador.

I am curious if the recast voice would make its way to future Smash titles… or if they continue using Mario’s Brawl performance (also applies to Luigi, Wario, Dr. Mario, and Waluigi)
I think that they should have the new guy(s) do Mario/Luigi/Mario (and Waluigi if they add him), but his Brawl clips should stick around on Doctor Mario (if he comes back). It lets the new guy get the spotlight, while letting a tribute to him stay in the game. I think it would also be cool if they made him the announcer (and by extension Master/Crazy Hand). I can't imagine he'd do it, but it would be a fitting way to appreciate his legacy while doing something new.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it's hard to tell. The Nahobino is the most recent protagonist, and is from the best selling game in the series. But the Demi-Fiend is the fan-favourite, has his game on switch as well, and keeps showing up in other megaten games, including SMTV. I guess, assuming they choose the roster for the next game around now, unless something unexpected happens for the SMT anniversary in the month it has left, they'd probably go for the Nahobino.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Plasm Wraith! Always thought its ability to make copies of pretty much anything in Pikmin would be really fun for a moveset. Definitely wouldn't be a "pure" summoner but I'd imagine there'd be some focus on that aspect at the very least.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There was that one poster in the old thread who plugged so hard for Nahobino he could jump start a semi.
What's notable is that they were adamant that Nahobino would be the final fighter because SMT V needed that kind of promotion, to the point where they basically wrote the game off as a likely commercial failure when Sora was the last character.

Then SMT for Switch became the best selling entry of all time, showing that Smash promotion wasn't really necessary to hold up the series.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I assume you two are talking about Willbuysmash4mw?

I think in the end, all he really cared about is Nahobino being the final fighter in Smash. He didn't really care as much about SMTV sells as he was letting on. After all, he completely written off Sora as a "pipedream", so his harsh attitude when it was Sora who ended up being the final fighter was really no surprise.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I could see it happening, though it may depend on if Team Asano is still relevant come next Smash. With how inconsistant Square Enix can be, it's a little hard to tell...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

A rare case of conspiracy theorists being right. They probably decided to get ahead of the speculation for whenever we get more news on Wonder (likely in a September Direct). Still, at least they did something special for him. He deserves it.
I definitely understand the move as he's probably at a point where he needs to take a step back from the role due to age, but it's still sad to hear and hard to believe that he'll no longer be Mario (or the other cast members) after so long. I'm glad though that they're at least giving him an honorary role from here on out though as it shows that they still value him for the work he's done over the years, and I wish him the best on the new adventures he plans on taking from here on out.

Nintendo has announced Charles Martinet will no longer be the voice of Mario, with him now being Mario Ambassador.

I am curious if the recast voice would make its way to future Smash titles… or if they continue using Mario’s Brawl performance (also applies to Luigi, Wario, Dr. Mario, and Waluigi)
I think they would change VAs aside from maybe the aforementioned Dr. Mario. Smash does have a nasty habit of retaining voice clips for decades (Captain Falcon is still using his 64 clips for instance), but this is a case where I feel Nintendo and the Smash team would probably want the new VA since Mario is the mascot of the entire company and they'd want consistency with the new games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom