• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Okay so

Capcom, Sega, Konami and Microsoft.

You can UP their playable fighters to 6 reps. Who do you choose? Keep in mind existing reps count so unless you cut say Bayo you'd have 3 picks for Sega...
For Microsoft, I pick Rash/Pimple/Zitz (as one character with alts for each toad), Fulgore, Illidan Stormrage, and Sarah Kerrigan

For Capcom, I pick Zero, Guile, and Vega

For Sega, I pick Knuckles, Eggman, and an SMT character

For Konami, I pick Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (one character with alts for each), Alucard, and Bomberman

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Capcom: Ryu, Ken, Mega Man, Zero, Phoenix Wright, and Nemesis.
Sega: Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Joker, Bayonetta, NiGHTS, and Red.
Konami: Simon, Alucard, Snake, Frogger, Bomberman, and Bill Rizer.
Microsoft: Master Chief, Banjo, Steve, Conker, Doom Slayer, and Dragonborn. (Swap out Conker for Crash in case of ActiBlizz buyout.)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Capcom: Ryu, Ken, Mega Man, Proto Man, Phoenix Wright, and Nemesis.
Sega: Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Joker, Bayonetta, NiGHTS, and Red.
Konami: Simon, Alucard, Snake, Frogger, Bomberman, and Bill Rizer.
Microsoft: Master Chief, Banjo, Steve, Conker, Doom Slayer, and Dragonborn. (Swap out Conker for Crash in case of ActiBlizz buyout.)
Hey fellow Nemesis fan. He’s my most wanted Resident Evil character but he just missed my top three because the three I picked are among my favorite characters overall. Amaterasu and Masamune Date are other honorable mentions.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay so

You can UP their playable fighters to 6 reps. Who do you choose? Keep in mind existing reps count so unless you cut say Bayo you'd have 3 picks for Sega...
  • Capcom
    • Mega Man
    • Zero
    • Ryu
    • Ken
    • Chun-Li
    • Leon S. Kennedy
  • SEGA
    • Sonic
    • Dr. Eggman
    • Bayonetta
    • Sakura Shinguji
    • Arle
    • Joker
  • Konami
    • Snake
    • Simon
    • Richter
    • Alucard
    • Frogger
    • Bomberman

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Given the limited nature of third party reps, I generally don't like getting 2 reps from the same third party franchise. I know traditionally that was just another silly "fan rule" but I would still stick to preferring diversity within the third party part of the roster.
That said, I would still prefer a second Sonic rep probably over most other third parties we could get.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I kinda assume that Sonic only having one playbable character in smash is a Sega thing not a Nintendo thing.

In the late 2000's Sega got cold feet and never gave Sonic multiple playable characters again and theyve stuck to that with the one exception being Shadow in Sonic forces for 3 stages.

My understanding is that Shadow is the second most popular character in the franchise. So I figure it would be him.
He would definitely be a second Sonic rep if they picked one because he'd be easy to make with the assets they already have on hand. Build him off of Sonic and if they wanted to make him more than an echo they could give him Mewtwo's teleport or Bayonetta's witch time to reflect his Chaos control abilities.

Okay so

Okay so i can only really comment on Sega and Capcom since i know little to nothing about the other two.

Capcom: Megaman, Ryu, Ken, Phoenix Wright, Dante, Megaman.EXE

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Shadow, Kiryu, Sakura.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Okay so

• Microsoft: Rash, Master Chief, Sea of Thieves Captain
  • Capcom: Chun Li, Morrigan, Nemesis
  • Konami: Bomberman, Zone of the Enders' Vic Viper, Raiden
  • Sega: AiAi, Kiryu, Reiji/Xiaomu (Yes, I'm cheating because they are from Bandai Namco. I don't care if that is not an option)
If the PxZ duo doesn't count, then, Arle from Puyo Puyo.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
I kinda assume that Sonic only having one playbable character in smash is a Sega thing not a Nintendo thing.

In the late 2000's Sega got cold feet and never gave Sonic multiple playable characters again and theyve stuck to that with the one exception being Shadow in Sonic forces for 3 stages.
If it’s any help, Frontiers update 3 is the one where Tails, Knuckles and Amy are playable.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I know almost nothing about Culdcept. I know it's in Smash. Could you enlighten me on the franchise?
My time has come! :over9000:
Culdcept is a series of card-based video games that is somewhat a mix between Magic the Gathering, Monopoly and Fortune Street. It's basically a video game board game that acts similarly to a card game, with each player having their own deck of cards while moving your characters on a board. That said, there is no IRL Culdcept Board or card game, only the video games. But basically, since no real life cards are used and it's all video games, you can get all of the cards in the game without paying real world money. So think of it as a card game without the hassle of real life money being involved.

That said, the main lore revolves around Creations of Worlds and stuff. Basically, Culdra is the main universal Goddess that created the Universe and the Culcept, a Book of Cards that consist of her power. Unsurprisingly, at some point, one of her Gods rebels against her to use the Culdcept for himself, which causes the cards of the Culdcept to scatter into the world Culdra created. The god is sealed, yet the damage has been done. The denizens find the cards and it is learned some of them can actually use them. They are Cepters, people who can unleash the power of the Culdcept. So of course you have good Cepters and bad Cepters.
Anyway, it was eventually learned that if one can prove themselves, they can become a God in their own right and create a new world. And no, there's no destruction of the old one, it just creates a new world in general. So basically, you have this continuous loop of Gods and New world being made that goes on much like Stars in the Sky and whatnot and it practically becomes a tradition. Even Culdra is cool with it.

Anyway,
-The first Game on PS/Saturn and DS revolves around the Rebel God trying to free themselves and a Cepter tries to help the Staff Goligan who needs your help to stop an incoming threat. The character is your character and uses a premade Avatar that you can select, which can consist of magicians, warriors, elves, barbarians, priests, etc.
-The 2nd Game on Dreamcast and 3DS in Japan and PS2 in the West once again revolves around you, with a new character from a different world, trying to help Goligan, who now follows Culdra, stop the God Gemenigh, who's arrival signifies the end of the entire universe and the destruction of all worlds.
-Saga on Xbox 360 revolves around your character helping the princess Faustina on trying to figure out the significance of the cards, as because the main god of that world did not want to make a God of Order and God of Chaos, the denizens of that world could not learn the significance of the cards and their power, meaning no one knows their importance or what their origin is.
-Lastly, Revolt revolves around the character, who can be named anything but their default name is Allen, who is suffering from amnesia and learns from the Leader of a Rebel group, Alicia, that the city is shut-in by the Count who is forcing everybody to stay in the city and is hunting Cepters and it's your job to find out why he is doing so and who you are.
-Most of the games are in Japan only. The only ones that came over to the West are the PS2 version, Saga and Revolt. Revolt is the latest one due to being on 3DS.

Okay, the stories and lore are done. Now for the game.
-It's a mix of a card game and board game. The board gameplay is similar to Monopoly and Forture Street, but each player uses their own deck of cards that is a mix of Monster cards, Spell cards and Item cards. You go around the board, placing monsters on empty spaces that become your Territories. You can also use them to invade other monsters. You use Spells to damage other monsters, draw cards or whatnot. And you use items to either defend your monsters if they are attacked or use them when invading other monsters.
-That said, you can actually choose not to have monsters, spells or items in your deck. You still need 1 of them for a deck, but there are actually achievements for winning a game without your deck having one of the following categories of monsters, spells or items. Even then, there are some viable decks that don't utilise spells or items.
-On the board, there are areas that you need to get to. Mainly, the Forts and Main Castle. You start on the Castle and you head to the Forts around the map, earning gold from them. Once you reached all of them, you head back to the Castle and get a big bonus of Gold, than start the cycle again.
In Revolt, these were changed to all become Gates. You still have to go around to all of them to collect the bonus. However, you now get the bonus when you just land on all of them, no order required.
-You main objective is to reach the Target Number of Gold Value. Value is determined by your territories, symbols and by the gold you have on hand. Gold you hold is used to summon monsters, use spells and items and to level up territories or change the element of territories.
-Monsters have two stats. HP and ST. It's pretty simple. ST is the component that deals damage and HP is the component that determines whether or not a monster survives an attack. Items mainly increase either HP or ST, besides some having other effects.
-There are 5 Elements of Creatures. Neutral, Fire, Water, Air and Earth. And on the board, empty lands have an element. Except for Neutral Lands, placing a monster on a territory that is the same element as it gives it a Land effect, which is +10 additional HP per level of the territory the monster is on which makes the monster harder to defeat if it's invaded.
That said, Land Effect counts as a separate HP gauge only in battle, so some items and monsters can ignore Land effect HP and Land effect does not prevent damage spells from hitting their regular HP. There's also some spells that can prevent Land effects from happening in battle.
-Besides Neutral Lands, there are two other Lands that affect all Elements, aside from Neutral. Quintessence, a rainbow land that gives Land effect to any Creature on it that isn't Neutral, but they, alongside Neutral Lands, do not give what is called a "Chain", which is an effect where you get more gold value the more Territories of the same element you have. The third unique Land(which I can't remember the name of) changes to the element of the monster that is placed on that land. So placing a Fire monster will make that land Fire and whatnot. Placing a Neutral Monster will make that land a Neutral land.
-Items come in 4 sets. Weapons, Armor, Accessories and Scrolls. It is to be noted that some monsters cannot equip certain items, like some cannot equip weapons, some can't use armor, etc.
That said, besides these items, some monsters have a special ability called "Support" that allows you to use monster cards instead of item cards. It basically takes the monsters' ST and HP and combines it with the support monster and there are a few monsters where they actually give additional effects if used as a Support. This is one of the ways you can play a deck of monsters and spells only and it's actually a viable deck playstyle.
-Spells also come in sets. They consist of Direct effects and Curses. Direct effects are like Direct damage spells, healing spells, spells that draw cards, etc. They do the one effect and that's it. Curses put effects on monsters, Cepters and even the map that either last for a certain number of turns or sometimes indefinitely depending on the Curse card. For Curses that stay indefinitely, there are a few ways of getting rid of it.
  1. Switch out the monster and replace it with one from your hand.
  2. Use a Spell card that removes Curses or applies a different Curse onto them, as only one Curse can be applied.
  3. You can move the monster off the space to remove the Curse, but if your Territory is a high level, not only will you lose value by moving the monster off, but you risk it getting taken by another player.
  4. For Curse cards against Cepters and the Map, there are no permanent Curse Spell cards. All Curses on the Cepters and Map only last for a limited number of turns, but once again, you can use your own Curse cards to replace a curse on a player or the map. So you can take away a beneficial curse off another player and give them a negative one or you can take away a negative curse on you and replace it with a beneficial one.
-When it comes to getting Gold that you can use, your goal is to around the map to the forts and castles/Gates or to try to get it from your opponents. To do that, you either use Spell cards that steal it from them or get them to land on your territories. When they land on your territories, they either have to defeat your monster or pay a toll to you. This becomes a big problem with lands that are higher level, which can make your opponent pay more than 1000 or even 3000 G. There are spells and items can make the toll either halved or prevent toll from being taken.

And yeah, you have Avatars. In Saga, they are customizable due to the 3D graphics, but in the 2D ones, they use Template Avatars, like Magicians, Warriors, Angels, Elves, etc. And Kenji Ito, music maker for Final Fantasy Adventure music, the GB and SNES Saga games and the one who did the F-Zero Mute City Smash 4 remix, does music across the whole series. I believe he even did the entire PS2 soundtrack. And yes, the series has pretty good music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEEPNJqWxgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe9dQz9LoC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2A-pdKfl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKOs5-9Iek&list=PLFjraMRoehsh3bTyCJmxVPOOg8OFn4TQ3&index=11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRI9qG8XDk0&index=12&list=PLFjraMRoehsh3bTyCJmxVPOOg8OFn4TQ3

Typing this, it doesn't seem to be too impressive, but watching gameplay or playing definitely makes a better opinion. But it is really hard to find gameplay as Culdcept, despite being around since PS1, is a niche popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdkHmjDimMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DbBDDRsoUU
The Youtuber on the bottom vid has done a number of Online matches and whatnot if you want to see Revolt in action and there are videos for Saga and the PS2 version if you try to look them up.
If you want to learn more about the games and see the cool Card artwork and Avatars that the games have, go here:
http://www.culdceptcentral.com/

For Revolt, Avatars and characters can be found here.
http://www.culdceptcentral.com/culdcept-revolt/culdcept-revolt-guides/ranks-avatars-covers-dice
And Card artwork and effects can be found here:
http://www.culdceptcentral.com/culd...card-lists/culdcept-revolt-complete-card-list
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei

Well, looks I've been beaten to it... Still, Ivander Ivander DEFINITELY did Culdcept more justice here than even I would have been able to. So, thanks!

honestly I'd be lying if I said I didn't have misgivings with how much this community obsesses over getting as much Sonic content as possible. I get that it's a huge series with a beloved cast, and I get that it's been somewhat poorly served by its Smash representation, and I do have personal biases that majorly factor into how much this upsets me, but I always get this feeling of like.....I guess entitlement? from the calls for Sonic to get like 4 more characters or whatever. I have a hard time putting my finger on it but I just don't like it
This is basically my thoughts regarding 3rd parties in general. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate 3rd parties in Smash, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't bug me a bit how Nintendo themselves seem to be left in the dust on this front. Maybe it's just me, I don't know...

Stratos

Smash Ace
I wonder if Edward Carnby the protagonist of the Alone in the Dark series would really be interesting to come as a newcomer to a future game in the series for me or not, but generally any video game character that comes in is fine with me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei

Well, looks I've been beaten to it... Still, Ivander Ivander DEFINITELY did Culdcept more justice here than even I would have been able to. So, thanks!

This is basically my thoughts regarding 3rd parties in general. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate 3rd parties in Smash, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't bug me a bit how Nintendo themselves seem to be left in the dust on this front. Maybe it's just me, I don't know...
Nintendo is my favorite gaming developer. My main issue is that most of the first party characters I want with a realistic chance are already in. I enjoy tons of series from Nintendo in Smash but I’m not particularly interested in the presumed shoo in slot of most recent Fire Emblem lord or Pokémon starter despite liking both games. I’m typically more interested in FE side characters and less popular Pokémon as a rule. There’s still a good amount of first parties I’d like to see like a unique Dixie, Impa (HW), Medusa, Jenna Anderson, the Black Knight, Raven Beak (or EMMI), and more but I feel like most of them are either talked about enough already by everyone else or are not particularly likely. That’s why I tend to default to talking about third parties here.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For SEGA, I am cutting every character and replacing them with Pengo, Rikiya Busujima, Battle Golfer Yui, Neji from Roommania, Jogurt from Shining Force and Zodick the Hellhog
Did somebody say Illbleed?

Wait, did we ever establish if Sega owned Illbleed? I thought there was still debate about that.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Okay so

my picks would be
KonamiSegaCapcomMicrosoft
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie:
:ultsimon::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultsteve:
:ultrichter:Jack Frost:ultken:Crash Bandicoot
Bomberman:ultjoker:DanteDoom Slayer
Master HigginsRed (Angry Birds)Phoenix WrightMaster Chief
Pyramid HeadAlex KiddHsein-KoSmiley (Minesweeper)

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't know exactly how they mod characters but if they were to mod Kunio and Riki in Smash Ultimate, I hope they don't make them look too much like the sprites. I kind of want them to look more like their Mighty Fight Federation models.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If Bandai Namco was there, then would remove Pac-Man and Kazuya, and replace them with absolutely nothing. Because **** Bandai Namco I mean, it's clear that they won't return for the next game.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
At this point i think the only rule is that it has to be a videogame character, after characters like Piranha Plant, Sephiroth, Steve and Sora...i have no idea how there's still people who gatekeep characters.
Some characters have a higher chance to be playable like Ring Fit Trainee, others have a lower chance to be playable like Amaterasu, but it doesn't matter, people should be able to want whatever character they want.
I also dislike when some people think wanting characters like Zero, Chun-li or Dr. Eggman is a "bandwagon" because of Sephiroth, like Sephiroth made some people more hopeful or vocal on additional reps from existing franchises because well, it already happened with Final Fantasy, so it could happen a second time.

(This wasn't directed to anyone, btw)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't know exactly how they mod characters but if they were to mod Kunio and Riki in Smash Ultimate, I hope they don't make them look too much like the sprites. I kind of want them to look more like their Mighty Fight Federation models.
Almost all mods today take an existing model from another game and rig it over the skeleton of a character in Smash with similar proportions and moveset. There are a few modders like Pik who create their own models from scratch and have another person rig the skeleton. Back in the Brawl days, the most common method was to edit the model of a character in Smash and retexture it to make it look like a different character. This was called vertex editing. That’s what almost all the mods I made were. Towards the end of my Brawl modding days, model imports were just starting to become a thing. My brother and I made a few custom models and had someone else help with importing them.

As for Kunio and Riki, the most likely option is that someone would take a model that exists (if they ever had 3D models) and port it over a fitting character. Finally, it’s actually possible to make a spritebased character that uses all the same hit boxes for a character with completely unique animations. The only example of this so far is Scott Pilgrim over Ryu but it is very impressive.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay so

Capcom - Chun-Li, Phoenix Wright, Mike Haggar

Sega - Kiryu, Sakura Shinguji, Opa-Opa

Konami - Frogger, Alucard, Bomberman (shout out to Oolong and Sparkster who I considered)

Microsoft - Doom Slayer, Master Chief, King Graham, Joanna Dark

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
If it’s any help, Frontiers update 3 is the one where Tails, Knuckles and Amy are playable.
Actually, speak of the devil…

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At this point i think the only rule is that it has to be a videogame character, after characters like Piranha Plant, Sephiroth, Steve and Sora...i have no idea how there's still people who gatekeep characters.
Some characters have a higher chance to be playable like Ring Fit Trainee, others have a lower chance to be playable like Amaterasu, but it doesn't matter, people should be able to want whatever character they want.
I also dislike when some people think wanting characters like Zero, Chun-li or Dr. Eggman is a "bandwagon" because of Sephiroth, like Sephiroth made some people more hopeful or vocal on additional reps from existing franchises because well, it already happened with Final Fantasy, so it could happen a second time.

(This wasn't directed to anyone, btw)
The only apprehension i think the Smash devs would have is if the character is from a series that is locked to one country.

Though with all consoles nowadays being region free and tons of developers having import friendly games i suppose this isnt that big a deal nowadays.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Almost all mods today take an existing model from another game and rig it over the skeleton of a character in Smash with similar proportions and moveset. There are a few modders like Pik who create their own models from scratch and have another person rig the skeleton. Back in the Brawl days, the most common method was to edit the model of a character in Smash and retexture it to make it look like a different character. This was called vertex editing. That’s what almost all the mods I made were. Towards the end of my Brawl modding days, model imports were just starting to become a thing. My brother and I made a few custom models and had someone else help with importing them.

As for Kunio and Riki, the most likely option is that someone would take a model that exists (if they ever had 3D models) and port it over a fitting character. Finally, it’s actually possible to make a spritebased character that uses all the same hit boxes for a character with completely unique animations. The only example of this so far is Scott Pilgrim over Ryu but it is very impressive.
Kunio and Riki do have 3D models in Mighty Fight Federation so they could use them. Not sure which characters in Smash Ultimate would be fitting for them, though. Maybe the Mii Brawler?

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Okay so

Capcom - Mega Man, Zero, Ryu, Ken, Dante, Leon
Sega - Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Arle, AiAi, Kiryu, Bayonetta
Konami - Snake, Raiden, Simon, Richter, Tako, Bomberman
Microsoft - Banjo & Kazooie, Fulgore, Steve, Doomguy, Master Chief, Crash

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Capcom - Mega Man, Zero, Ryu, Ken, Dante, Leon
Sega - Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Arle, AiAi, Kiryu, Bayonetta
Konami - Snake, Raiden, Simon, Richter, Tako, Bomberman
Microsoft - Banjo & Kazooie, Fulgore, Steve, Doomguy, Master Chief, Crash
Did you cut Joker on purpose or did you forget he was in?

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
The only apprehension i think the Smash devs would have is if the character is from a series that is locked to one country.

Though with all consoles nowadays being region free and tons of developers having import friendly games i suppose this isnt that big a deal nowadays.
I think characters locked to one country could be fine for base game additions, very unlikely of course, but they could be candidates if the devs ever want a spot for a "unexpected character no one's heard off/expects or "a character with a really unique moveset" for the base game, Lucas is Japan-only, and he was well liked as a newcomer addition.
However, as DLC, that's a different matter, i don't think it would be a good idea to add one of them as DLC, unless they believe the character's moveset and design is soo good that it doesn't matter if barely anyone recognizes them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Kunio and Riki do have 3D models in Mighty Fight Federation so they could use them. Not sure which characters in Smash Ultimate would be fitting for them, though. Maybe the Mii Brawler?
Yeah, I feel like Mii Brawler might be the best bet. They’re a little more complicated to mod but still possible. Little Mac or Terry could also potentially work. If he went over Terry, he’d probably have to be shrunken down or else he’d be massive due to his large head. Luckily, characters can be resized while keeping the same hit boxes so that’s not a deal breaker. The biggest issue with that is it might look a bit weird when a character uses a projectile because it still comes from the character’s original location. For example, someone made a mod for X over Mega Man and his blaster fires below his arm due to the mod having a taller frame.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Nintendo is my favorite gaming developer. My main issue is that most of the first party characters I want with a realistic chance are already in. I enjoy tons of series from Nintendo in Smash but I’m not particularly interested in the presumed shoo in slot of most recent Fire Emblem lord or Pokémon starter despite liking both games. I’m typically more interested in FE side characters and less popular Pokémon as a rule. There’s still a good amount of first parties I’d like to see like a unique Dixie, Impa (HW), Medusa, Jenna Anderson, the Black Knight, Raven Beak (or EMMI), and more but I feel like most of them are either talked about enough already by everyone else or are not particularly likely. That’s why I tend to default to talking about third parties here.
Same here. You've probably noticed, but I've always been quite partial to the more retro/obscure/niche side of Nintendo's catalog of characters partially for this very reason. Sure, the majority of them would be lucky to even get a trophy/spirit, but I can't help but support them all the same.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Okay so

Capcom:
  1. Mega Man
  2. Ryu
  3. Ken
  4. Chun-Li
  5. Monster Hunter
  6. Dante
Konami:
  1. Snake
  2. Simon Belmont
  3. Richter Belmont
  4. Bomberman
  5. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean
  6. Alucard
Sega:
  1. Sonic the Hedgehog
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Joker
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Alis Landale
  6. Arle Nadja
Microsoft:
  1. Banjo & Kazooie
  2. Steve
  3. Master Chief
  4. Crash Bandicoot
  5. Dragonborn
  6. Doom Slayer, cause otherwise, I really don't know any other possible picks.
While the first 3 were easy to do, because I was focusing more on prediction rather than favorites, which meant trying to find which series had decent followings in Japan. I had such a hard time deciding that last one for Microsoft that isn't Doom Slayer or a Call of Duty character. It was easy to do Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot and Dragonborn because aside from doing one per studio, all 3 of their series have a good following in Japan.
I didn't want to immediately default to Doom and Doom Slayer for the 6th rep because not only do you have Master Chief, another FPS rep, appearing, but also Dragonborn, another Bethesda rep. And while Call of Duty does have a notable fanbase over in Japan and is often one of the higher sellers of Western titles in Japan, I don't know how easy it would be to put Call of Duty in Smash because of it's themes. Sure you have Metal Gear Solid in Smash, but that one is notably less heavy on the realism compared to Call of Duty(well, before Zombies and Warzone).

So I wanted to try and find another series that could have a reasonable chance besides the other 3, Doom and Call of Duty, but man, I don't know if it's because of little information on Japanese reception to game series on the Western side of the internet or they really don't care much about most of the series that Microsoft has.
  • The only other game series I found has a decent following in Japan aside from the aforementioned ones is Fallout surprisingly. But I really don't know any notable characters from that aside from the Fallout Boy, who I felt may not have been a good pick as a character compared to a protagonist or notable character in Fallout.
  • I know Candy Crush did once get a big advertisement campaign in Japan, but I found nothing that seems to follow what happened to that afterwards.
  • Aside from Starcraft, which by what I found has a cult following in Japan, I haven't found any info of receptions to other Blizzard games aside from Overwatch 1 that I don't know if it's changed since Overwatch 2. Thought I found something on Diablo with Diablo 3, but all I found was that someone claimed it was popular in Japan, but someone else pointed that it used to be in the Top 20 sales chart for two weeks before disappearing, so possibly it was just a claim.
  • One time, I remembered Skylanders being popular on the Wii and thought I could get something regarding Japan, only to find that it never released in Japan until 2 years after it's release in the West. And despite releasing for Wii, Wii U, PS3 and 3DS, it supposedly did really badly. Which surprised me...until I saw that it kept the tag of "Spyro's Adventure" and as some of us know, the Spyro series were not particularly received well in Japan after the butchered Japanese port of the first game.
    Well, I don't know if it was because of Spyro being attached that hurt it or if it was the collectable figures gimmick that hurt it, since I couldn't find any notable JP reception to Disney Infinity and etc. But still, kinda felt sad about it cause Stealth Elf and Gill Grunt felt like characters that could fit nicely in Smash Bros.
  • Can't really find anything on some other titles from companies like Double Fine, Ninja theory, etc.
  • Aside from Banjo Kazooie, couldn't find anything regarding most of Rare's other titles, except for one in particular, which to my surprise was Killer Instinct. And no, it's not about the rumors of Bandai Namco doing a Killer Instinct game. While it didn't talk about the series' reception in Japan in detail, but around 2021, there was a particular rise of increased interest in Killer Instinct from Japanese players. Considering the Bandai Namco rumors happened a year after the increased interest, maybe the increased interest played a role to the Bandai Namco rumors.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Okay so

So, obviously biased, but trying to be somewhat realistic:

Capcom:
  • Mega Man
  • Ryu
  • Ken
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dante
Konami:
  • Simon Belmont
  • Solid Snake
  • Alucard
  • Bomberman
  • Richer
  • Red Pyramid Thing (or any SH character, purely for the music)
(Also Soma Cruz as an echo for Alucard, but I'm not putting 4 castlevania characters on the list).

Microsoft:
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Steve
  • Master Chief
  • Doom Slayer
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Cuphead (I think that's technically microsoft?)
Sega:
  • Sonic
  • Bayonetta
  • Joker
  • Demi-Fiend
  • Kiryu
  • Alex Kidd
Also, if he finally gets a new game, Raidou Kuzunoha would be really cool... and I kinda have to mention Tatsuya Suou, who has a 0% chance of being in, but like...

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Now that Granblue Fantasy Re:Link has a release date (February 1, 2024), do you think we could get a Granblue Fantasy rep as DLC for the next game if Re: Link ends up having a similar success to Persona 5?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
the urban champion
I had this idea for Urban Champion where he is mixed with the other NES characters. The character is called “NES Remix” and he has three main alts: Urban Champion (2 alts), Balloon Fighter (3 alts), and Excitebiker (3 alts) He is also accompanied by Bubbles from Clu Clu Land (think Rosalina and Luma). He would have moves from these four NES games and other black box NES games.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I revealed on Twitter that I got to go to Ubisoft Milan to try the Mario Rabbids Rayman DLC early. Bringing it up here cause I wanna share this Smash related sketch one of the lead concept artists made for me:
-chhnee.jpg

I'll have more to share on somewhat related to his future smash chances (not tremendously though) once they allow me to talk about gameplay and such, for now just wanted to share that sketch.

Top Bottom