• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, obviously biased, but trying to be somewhat realistic:

Capcom:
  • Mega Man
  • Ryu
  • Ken
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dante
Konami:
  • Simon Belmont
  • Solid Snake
  • Alucard
  • Bomberman
  • Richer
  • Red Pyramid Thing (or any SH character, purely for the music)
(Also Soma Cruz as an echo for Alucard, but I'm not putting 4 castlevania characters on the list).

Microsoft:
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Steve
  • Master Chief
  • Doom Slayer
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Cuphead (I think that's technically microsoft?)
Sega:
  • Sonic
  • Bayonetta
  • Joker
  • Demi-Fiend
  • Kiryu
  • Alex Kidd
Also, if he finally gets a new game, Raidou Kuzunoha would be really cool... and I kinda have to mention Tatsuya Suou, who has a 0% chance of being in, but like...

For the record, while Microsoft helped to publish the game, the Cuphead IP is still owned by Studio MDHR.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I revealed on Twitter that I got to go to Ubisoft Milan to try the Mario Rabbids Rayman DLC early. Bringing it up here cause I wanna share this Smash related sketch one of the lead concept artists made for me:
View attachment 376566

I'll have more to share on somewhat related to his future smash chances (not tremendously though) once they allow me to talk about gameplay and such, for now just wanted to share that sketch.
I think most developers/artists want their characters in smash at this point.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
And given the whole "celebration of gaming" thing, why wouldn't they? For some, getting a playable spot in Smash is the highest possible honor in gaming.
Ya idk if I'm being misinterpreted as "yo this drawing helps or means he's gonna be in smash!" I'm merely just saying "Yo look at this sick art by an official artist from the team"

SPEN18

Smash Champion
And given the whole "celebration of gaming" thing, why wouldn't they? For some, getting a playable spot in Smash is the highest possible honor in gaming.
I don't mean to pick on you specifically or anything, but please let's not go back to this faulty mentality of "Smash celebrates gaming ==> no companies should have any issues putting their characters in Smash."
(I know that isn't exactly what you said, but still)

For the other companies, putting their characters in Smash (or not) is first and foremost a business-oriented move. There is much more potential complication than "it would be a great honor so let's do it."

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I had this idea for Urban Champion where he is mixed with the other NES characters. The character is called “NES Remix” and he has three main alts: Urban Champion (2 alts), Balloon Fighter (3 alts), and Excitebiker (3 alts) He is also accompanied by Bubbles from Clu Clu Land (think Rosalina and Luma). He would have moves from these four NES games and other black box NES games.
I won't lie, it WOULD be interesting to have a sort of 'all-encompassing' retro Nintendo character. Well, I guess Mr. Game & Watch kind of already does that, on some level.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Okay so

Capcom, Sega, Konami and Microsoft.

You can UP their playable fighters to 6 reps. Who do you choose? Keep in mind existing reps count so unless you cut say Bayo you'd have 3 picks for Sega...
I would not remove existing reps so:
Sega: Eggman, Ichiban Kasuga and Amigo
Capcom: Dante, Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu
Konami: Bomberman, Pyramid head and Raiden
Microsoft: Ori, Chai (from Hifi rush), Doom slayer and Dovahkiin (if you count Activision stuff, replace Dovahkiin with Crash)

And why not Square?: 2B, Tidus and Bub from Bubble Bobble

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Bandai Namco:
1. Pac-Man
2. Kazuya
3. Yuri Lowell
4. Artorias of the Abyss
5. Mametchi
6. iDOLM@STER rep (placeholder)

Disney (Video Game Division):
1. Sora
2. Manny Calavera
3. Spikanor (Spectrobes)

SNK
1. Terry
2. Fio Germi
3. Cyber Woo

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to ask, how are you guys feeling about the chances of a BOTW or TOTK rep? I was thinking of Sidon, since he's pretty popular.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Characters not from video games but related to Nintendo:

1. Daitoyou (Nintendo hanafuda cards) although I leave this one aside because it depicts Napoleon who was a real person.

2. Tengu (Nintendo hanafuda cards)

3. Mini Kangaroo (Mini games series)

4. Nester (Nintendo Magazine)

5. Kevin Keene (Captain N: The Game Master)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Okay so

You can UP their playable fighters to 6 reps. Who do you choose? Keep in mind existing reps count so unless you cut say Bayo you'd have 3 picks for Sega...
Characters in bold are already in the Smash games:
(Not counting Echo Fighters)
  • Capcom
    • Mega Man
    • Ryu
    • Phoenix Wright
    • Amaterasu (Okami)
    • Dante
    • Frank West (Dead Rising)
  • Sega
    • Sonic
    • Bayonetta
    • Joker
    • Kiryu Kazuma
    • Hornet (Daytona USA)
    • Dr. Caine (The Ooze)
  • Konami
    • Snake
    • Simon
    • Bomberman
    • Pyramid Head
    • Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
    • Bonk (Bonk's Adventure)
  • Microsoft
    • Banjo/Kazooie
    • Steve
    • Conker
    • Crash
    • Ori (Blind Forest/Wisps)
    • Battletoads

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Okay so

Capcom:

1. Mega Man (literally no reason to cut him)
2. Ryu (see Mega Man)
3. Ken (he's the original echo fighter)
4. Dante from the Devil May Cry series (I've effectively written five or six movesets for the guy, so I'm pretty passionate about the character)
5. Jill Valentine (tough call between her or Leon, but I figure a Resident Evil character should be in here)
6. Amaterasu (Okami's amazing - a stage in that art style alone would get me excited)

Sega:

1. Sonic (you'd have to be insane to cut him)
2. Dr. Eggman (tough call between Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow - I could see Tails getting in as a semi-clone, or even a full fighter, but I think Eggman would have a more creative moveset)
3. Bayonetta (tempted to put Jeanne in here as an echo fighter, but then space would be limited.
4. Joker (since Joker was released, I've played through six different Persona games, if we're counting Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden separately - the series is a lot of fun)
5. Blaze Fielding (from Streets of Rage; how do we not have a side-scrolling beat-em-up character in here?)
6. Kiryu (including the Majima Everywhere system! Open an item container? It's Majima! Use a Pokeball or assist trophy? It's Majima! Reach the boss at the end of arcade mode? It's Master Hand! ...Wait! BY GOD, IT'S MAJIMA WITH A STEEL CHAIR!)

Konami:

1. Snake (Snake? SNAAAAAAAAKE!)
2. Simon Belmont
3. Richter Belmont
4. Bomberman (it's a bit of a shame that he's just an assist trophy/Mii costume)
5. Goemon (don't know much about him, but he seems like he'd be fun)
6. Yugo (the main character of Bloody Roar, who can turn into a wolfman)

Microsoft:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Steve
3. Master Chief (it almost feels like you've got to have him)
4. Doomguy (if Microsoft only included one green-armoured space marine, he'd be my choice)
5. Fulgore (I'm not sure who the main character of Killer Instinct would be, but Fulgore seems like the most prominent)
6. Joanna Dark (I probably could have included someone else instead, but I played through Perfect Dark for the first time not too long ago, and she seems like she could be a lot of fun)

I'm not sure if Microsoft's buy-out of Activision has gone through; if it has, then I might replace Joanna with Crash Bandicoot, but I'm not sure.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fulgore's the mascot, but the main hero of the story is Jago. The main villain varies(Eyedol or Gargos. The latter is treated as a worse person in-universe). B. Orchid is a secondary hero to Jago, so comparable to Ken and Chun Li combined, you could say. If only cause Ken sometimes is given less prominence than Ryu and Chun Li(the stories tend to revolve more around them).

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to ask, how are you guys feeling about the chances of a BOTW or TOTK rep? I was thinking of Sidon, since he's pretty popular.
I don't know about the chance of them being added, I feel like they'd be far more likely to include a character from a game on the next system, so ultimate was really the only chance for a botw rep since it was between both games.

I'd personally love one though, totk is a very strong contender for my favourite game of all time, and botw was until totk released.

Sidon would be cool, especially since we don't have a zora yet, but I feel like Mineru would be pretty cool since she could use loads of zonai devices in her moveset, and would be a very unique character since smash doesnt have any mech pilots. (TOTK SPOILERS)

toonito

Smash Ace
Okay so

Capcom: Leon Kennedy (or Jill Valentine), Chun-Li, Dante, cut Ken for Zero
Sega: Arle Nadja, Tails, Kazuma Kiryu
Konami: Bomberman, Raiden, Bill Rizer
Microsoft: Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, Sarah Kerrigan

Stratos

Smash Ace
Here are some characters I chose:

1. Saki Amamiya
2. Captain Rainbow
3. Chibi-Robo
4. Waluigi
5. Alexandra Roivas
6. John Raimi
7. Meowth
8. Laboman
9. Takamaru
10. Black Shadow
11. Zael
12. Aeron
13. Isaac

1. Bub and Bob
2. Caim
3. 2Β
4. Musashi
5. Chrono

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Spyro
3. Joanna Dark
4. Diablo
5. Doom Slayer
6. Master Chief

1. Chris Redfield
2. Akuma
3. Protoman
4. Dante
5. Phoenix Wright

1. Jin Kazama
2. Solaire of Astora
3. Klonoa
4. Agumon
5. Kite

1. Bomberman
2. Pyramid Head
3. Yūgo Ōgami
4. Master Higgins
5. Black Panther (no the Marvel's superhero) the cybernetic black panther from Konami's arcade game Black Panther

1. Professor Hershel Layton

1. Kyo Kusanagi
2. Haohmaru
3. Marco Rossi

1. Gex
2. Lara Croft
3. Kain
4. Raziel

1. Cuphead

1. Scorpion

1. Edward Carnby

1. Earthworm Jim

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Kunio-Kun with alts like Riki and Double Dragons Billy and Jimmy would be incredible.
Hmm...I don't know.

While it makes sense for Billy and Jimmy to be alts, Kunio and Riki are kind of too unique for that. Riki could be Kunio's echo, though.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So.... What are your thoughts on Bravely Default getting some major representation in the next Smash game?
Neat, but unlikely?

SE has bigger franchises. But I could see them getting Spirits.

I like Bravely Default so I’d be happy to see it get something in Smash. If I had to choose, I think I’d prefer something from Octopath Traveller. I’ve bought every Bravely game but something about Octopath just clicks with me more.
There are things about OT mechanically, that I outright loathe. I adore BD's job system mechanics though.

The Sonic franchise has been stuck with just one fighter for way too long.
Have a Like.
We need at least Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, and Shadow as an echo before I'll be satisfied.
Like rescinded.

While another Sonic character is something I can get behind, I think all that is way too much for one 3rd party franchise. For SSBU at least, I would’ve done either Shadow as an Echo or Eggman as a DLC fighter, if not both.
Shadow as an Echo. Eggman in the Death Egg Robot as a Boss.

I don't know exactly how they mod characters but if they were to mod Kunio and Riki in Smash Ultimate, I hope they don't make them look too much like the sprites. I kind of want them to look more like their Mighty Fight Federation models.
They should look like their character art.

1692771890487.png
1692771928546.png

Tecmo's Sumo game deserves representation for Smash.
Tecmo Bowl! Because REASONS!

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Capcom:
1. Mega Man [Mega Man]
2. Ryu [Street Fighter]
3. Ken [Street Fighter]
4. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
5. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
6. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]

Sega:
1. Sonic [Sonic the Hedgehog]
2. Bayonetta [Bayonetta]
3. Joker [Persona]
4. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
5. Vyse [Skies of Arcadia]
6. Shadow [Sonic the Hedgehog]

Konami:
1. Snake [Metal Gear]
2. Simon [Castlevania]
3. Richter [Castlevania]
4. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
5. Bomberman [Bomberman]
6. Goemon [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]

Microsoft:
1. Banjo [Banjo-Kazooie]
2. Steve [Minecraft]
3. Master Chief [Halo]
4. Kerrigan [Starcraft]
5. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
6. Corvo [Dishonored]

And why not Square?
1. Cloud [Final Fantasy]
2. Hero [Dragon Quest]
3. Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
4. Sora [Kingdom Hearts]
5. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
6. Crono [Chrono Trigger]

Oh right. I forgot it got those.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
this game was harder than I thought particularly when I looked up konamai and realised the only franchise of theirs I have any experience with is yugioh. And bomberman being the only one I’m familiar with enough to not object to his inclusion. But I made it for the other 3 companies with characters for me and some for others

Sega: Sonic, Tails, Joker, Billy Hatcher, Alex Kidd and go on then Nights

Capcom: Megman, Ryu, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Leon S Kennedy and Roll

Microsoft: Banjo and Kazooie, Grunty, the horse from Via Piñata, Steve I guess, oh alright Crash and Spyro

now if I may I’m gonna do two others that are easier for me

SE: Cloud, Sephiroth, Neku, Tiz, Cube and go on then Gex

NB: Chibi-Robo(only joking) Pac-Man, Agumon, Kilik, Don Chan, Kloana and The Prince of all the Cosmos

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well lets throw in 6 for the other two then.

Bandai Namco:

Pac-man
Kazuya
Agumon (Digimon)
Cybuster (Super Robot Wars Original Generation)
Kos-Mos (Xenosaga)
Klonoa (Klonoa)

Square Enix:

Cloud
Sephiroth
Hero
Sora
Neku (The world ends with you)
Agnes (Bravely Default)
Sounds fun, here’s mine right now:

Square-Enix:

Cloud
Sephiroth
Hero
Magus (Chrono Trigger)
H’aanit (Octopath Traveller)
Princess Garnet (Final Fantasy)

Bandai-Namco:

Pac-Man
Kazuya
Alphen and Shionne (Tales)
Velvet Crowe (Tales)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Ogremon (Digimon)

This is more based on my personal preference and less of a prediction if it wasn’t obvious enough.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sora is owned by Disney. He is not a SE character. They don't own any of the unique KH content. We already know the music rights is from specific people, not SE itself. If they were involved directly, it's be more about Sora's gameplay feeling right, as they directly make the games. They just have no access to the rights.

Nomura's notable thing is Disney respects him enough to usually ask him when it comes to KH stuff. Also, yeah, he's also in charge of the story, so understandably he could be involved.

Either way, Sora's a bonafide Disney character. It's very inaccurate to put him as part of the SE set of characters in any way. "Related" has nothing to do with actually being from the company rights-wise. I mean, he's an honorary SE character at best, which means nothing when determining who you want from another company(he's about as owned by SE as Nintendo currently owns B&K. That is, not at all).

Stratos

Smash Ace
Tetsuya Nomura would put Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in Kingdom Hearts 3, but Disney said it's too difficult without clarification from the same. I would like to see how Sora would work with him or what Oswald's role would be in general. I don't understand why Disney thought it was difficult, I think he would fit in really well, this should normally be explained to us because it was "difficult" to use him in Kingdom Hearts 3, but I hope Disney reconsiders and adds him to the series Kingdom Hearts.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tetsuya Nomura would put Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in Kingdom Hearts 3, but Disney said it's too difficult without clarification from the same. I would like to see how Sora would work with him or what Oswald's role would be in general. I don't understand why Disney thought it was difficult, I think he would fit in really well, this should normally be explained to us because it was "difficult" to use him in Kingdom Hearts 3, but I hope Disney reconsiders and adds him to the series Kingdom Hearts.
That would be sweet, honestly. Maybe they could also add that tabletop world from Epic Mickey that he lived in, along with the other forgotten Disney characters. It would be cool to see them all in a Kingdom Hearts game.

Top Bottom