• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Always remember, as much as you dislike a Pokemon, it can never be any worse than some of the fakemon
FB_IMG_1476853041308.jpg

I feel ya, in my case I have so many ideas, no talent for drawing whatsoever. :p I'm jealous of people with even the most basic level of drawing, where you can actual draw something such as an OC, all I can draw is stick figures.
I feel the same way, I have so many ideas I'd like to use to test my writing skills but the best I can do is write a novel or something when my ideas for character designs and such would fit better with a visual media like a comic

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Always remember, as much as you dislike a Pokemon, it can never be any worse than some of the fakemon
View attachment 119430

I feel the same way, I have so many ideas I'd like to use to test my writing skills but the best I can do is write a novel or something when my ideas for character designs and such would fit better with a visual media like a comic
That is ****ign creepy right there yo

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I can draw, poorly mind you, but like I fumble through proportions. Drawing women... now forget that. Worse cause my 2 main OCs are both female.
I suffer through proportions and anatomy as well. Which is a problem because some of my OCs have somewhat more realistic proportions. I can draw cartoony stuff pretty well.

Woman are also a bit of a hassle to draw, but I think I got the basics of it.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I suffer through proportions and anatomy as well. Which is a problem because some of my OCs have somewhat more realistic proportions. I can draw cartoony stuff pretty well.

Woman are also a bit of a hassle to draw, but I think I got the basics of it.
I imagine I coukd draw the weird non-humans in my one world.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 119430
I'm so glad we got the Mermaid instead of any the circus theme that many wanted. Especially if it were a clown, with the clown hysteria right now, it would've been memed to death.
Same, pretty much. This is probably also why I had several artists as relationship partners of mine.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Not sure you will like games I played but two are aimed at girls, one called Mystic Messenger
another is a katmari cookie clicker called Tap my Katamari
Not really sure what those are.

I'm looking for something where you have an objective to grow and develop, like Fallout Shelter. And it has to be free cause I'm broke.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Man if I could draw I'd be able to make all of my OCs and the characters from their perspective worlds!
I feel ya, in my case I have so many ideas, no talent for drawing whatsoever. :p I'm jealous of people with even the most basic level of drawing, where you can actual draw something such as an OC, all I can draw is stick figures.
I'm not that much for the idea of having an OC, but I've been wanting to try my hand at fanart for so many fictional franchises and characters that I like for years now. Problem is I can just barely draw to save my life. :p

Then again, I don't draw very often anymore, either. I drew things in crayon a lot when I was little, but I got very lazy with even thinking about trying to sit down and improve my ability to draw in my teen years.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm not that much for the idea of having an OC, but I've been wanting to try my hand at fanart for so many fictional franchises and characters that I like for years now. Problem is I can just barely draw to save my life. :p

Then again, I don't draw very often anymore, either. I drew things in crayon a lot when I was little, but I got very lazy with even thinking about trying to sit down and improve my ability to draw in my teen years.
Yeah same, and when I say OC it really is an understatement since I have like basically 2 different universes that are fairly fleshed out. I've wanted to turn them into Nintendo games for a long time.

D

Deleted member

Absolutly beautful

And to think people wanted this monstrocity
"At least it's gender neutral unlike that gay mermaid" ~Some idiot, somewhere, sometime
I'm so glad we got the Mermaid instead of any the circus theme that many wanted. Especially if it were a clown, with the clown hysteria right now, it would've been memed to death.
I completely forgot about that possibility
Good thing it dodged that memefication
Same, pretty much. This is probably also why I had several artists as relationship partners of mine.
I think I should try writing something to test my writing skills at least
I have various ideas for plots though I generally try them with the same characters since I have fleshed them out countless times in my head.
Would just have to decide what is the best plot for a written novel tho

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Welp
Looks like my hunch about Nintendo not saying anything until January might be right. Kinda sucks because they need to at least communicate the price point this year (really should have done that today TBH). I need to know how much this thing is going to cost as does general consumers because you can't afford to wait a couple of months pre-launch and then ask for $399.99

Also the library of games is going to be really important and will make or break when I make my Switch purchase.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
View attachment 119430

Worst case scenario, we could always arrest that thing for having a threatening appearance late at night with an unknown object.

I can kindaaaaaa draw, it's really poor, but I do sketches and stuff of things I like (so it's usually JoJo stuff). But it's really simple stuff, like as basic of the Sheer Heart Attack logo as possible.
Granted a few things I draw, anyone could draw. After all, Kirby is literally a bunch of circles and ovals.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So after a busy day at work let me put down some more concise thoughts regarding the newly revealed NX Switch!!

While the name isn't the best they could've chosen, it definitely goes well with the concept behind the system, pretty unique but will take some getting used to, especially since we've been calling it the NX for a few millenia...
The logo is rather simple, but will be quite recognizable along with the animation and click for marketing...It will definitely stand out...I can expect this for any reveals for upcoming games for the next several years of this system's lifespan...

Another thing I noticed in the trailer was the demographic that was used for advertising...Young Adults, most of them with plenty of things to do in their own lives whether it's work, commuting, or just hanging out a party...A console such as this will actually be beneficial to people who don't have time to sit at home for hours at a time since they can bring it with them and play during their downtime or something...It's cool how a group of friends and such can all bring their Switches to a get together or they could bring their Joy-cons which would hopefully rather seemlessly sync up to other consoles with ease...As much as I liked the gamepad it made local multiplayer at times a pain especially for games like Splatoon and Pokken...

The 'main' controller being the Joy-cons attached to the grip seems a bit bizarre at first, though it's hard to gauge how it actually feels until it's actually in my hands, hopefully it will be comfortable...
But if it isn't that's not the only way to play as the Joy-cons can attach to the tablet itself, which won't be too unlike the Gamepad or 3DS which I'm rather used to as of now...but of course they also give us a new Pro controller which looks at first glance to be a pretty decent controller, comparable to that of the PS and Xbox controller but still it's own thing...I really feel it's a big step up from the Pro controllers for the Wii and Wii U and hopefully it's functional on the majority of the titles on the system beyond just the Virtual Console...
The removal of the Plus pad on the joy cons is understandable since each side can function as it's own controller as we've seen, PS's controller make do with separate buttons for it's d-pad just fine (I'm just glad it didn't go the circle D-pad like the X-box controller) Of course the Pro controller retains the plus pad so that's good...
One concern I have is all the little pieces and honestly it seems like it may be a little weird using a singular Joy-con controller, but I guess it's comparable to using the original NES controller...

I love that you can set the tablet up at a table or bench and detach the controller and leisurely play your games at the park or on the bus or anywhere as if you were at home...Of course the main concern is battery life. The Wii U's Gamepad was pretty much limited to your household so it wasn't really that big of a deal since chances are you weren't far from a charger....But when on the road especially commuting on a plane or bus for several hours at a time you don't want to be limited to playing for only half the trip...though I feel it will have decent battery life as well as possibly a portable charger for on the go...

Game cards...Does this mean I don't have to pay $75 plus tax for a new game? Plus the fact that they're not regular cartridges like the 3DS's and that they are more like SD cards means they should hold a lot of data and memory, making the system perform more efficiently...For games like Xenoblade X this will be handy, as much as I loved that game my Wii U (pretty much brand new at the time) felt like it was about to blow with how much noise it was making by loading up all areas and objects in the game...I feel like BotW may be similar once that comes out actually...

As for third party support...FRIKKING SKYRIM!!!!! I mean I've seen the tweet regarding Bethesda saying 'Well it's not an official confirmation' The problem I have with this is if you're going to show it off that the game will be available on the Switch, you pretty much HAVE to put the game on since it's just dumb to show off that it is when it isn't...Either way Bethesda being on board is HUGE for Nintendo since they were one of the toughest companies to get on board in the past...
Other big names like Take 2 which owns Rockstar which could mean a GTA title in the future, and EA hopefully giving us Mass Effect Andromeda, as well as Square hopefully bringing FFVIIR to the system...
It would be cool if they added Overwatch as well (Activision owns Blizzard if I'm not mistaken)
A possibly large and diverse third party lineup is good as it gives more gamers more options on the system (in addition to the whole playing anywhere function)...

I'm pretty satisfied overall with the system. All we need now are games! As far as a launch purchase for me, that solely depends on which games are coming to launch (as mentioned a new Metroid is a requirement) but otherwise I may wait until the holidays or during the summer depending on what else comes out on the way...
As far as BotW for the Wii U or Switch, once again that depends on whether or not I'll get the Swtich at Launch (assuming BotW releases at launch of course) If I'm not fully satisfied with the lineup I'm just going to grab it for the Wii U since that will be more affordable for me at that time...whether I get the game for Switch later really depends on how it differs, though this may be the same situation as Twilight Princess as I've only played the Gamecube version and not the Wii version since the difference weren't big enough to warrant a second purchase of the game...

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Just grab a pencil and paper and draw. It's not hard, just gotta try. start off with shapes.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
For those who say they can't draw...

Is it really that you can't draw? Or is it really that you DON'T draw?
There's a difference...

It's really easy to pick up a pencil and paper and just draw, doesn't matter how bad it is...Just Draw!...If you want to get better at drawing you just gotta keep doing it and refine your technique...
Have trouble drawing certain things? Keep drawing it, accustom yourself to the subject you're drawing and get used to drawing...

At the same time, learn about what you're drawing and why certain things look the way they do...

D

Deleted member

"
I completely forgot about that possibility
Good thing it dodged that memefication
Yep, even that fakemon you posted got memed to death before the clown hysteria. If it were real a

Just grab a pencil and paper and draw. It's not hard, just gotta try. start off with shapes.
Nah, trust me, I've tried. I understand why it's easy for most people, but since I was a kid I've been TERRIBLE with pens and pencils. My hand is shaky and highly scribblely. Most elementary schoolers have better hand writing and art.

I'll probably stick to writing and modeling. :p Though my GF is an artist, so perhaps she could help me out.

I think I should try writing something to test my writing skills at least
I have various ideas for plots though I generally try them with the same characters since I have fleshed them out countless times in my head.
Would just have to decide what is the best plot for a written novel tho
Same here. I even have story ideas for games and such.

Mermen usually look like monsters though.
Yes, they tend to be very ugly from what I've googled.(Seriously, don't google it, it's NSFW, and not the good fabolous kind, the very ugly kind.)

Mermaids aren't exactly pretty either
they are monster that kill men, like, pfff
The most ridiculous thing about them is the term Merpeople. :p I have no idea why, but it's very strange to me. And also reminds me that you literally just that prefix in front of whatever it is underwater. :p

There's a difference...

It's really easy to pick up a pencil and paper and just draw, doesn't matter how bad it is...Just Draw!...If you want to get better at drawing you just gotta keep doing it and refine your technique...
Have trouble drawing certain things? Keep drawing it, accustom yourself to the subject you're drawing and get used to drawing...

At the same time, learn about what you're drawing and why certain things look the way they do...
I actually tried to draw on multiple occasions, I even took multiple art classes and had multiple people assist me. I just can't draw. Though I still have some pics saved of my "art". Though perhaps I just need to develop a passion for it.

Actually, I am good at painting though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bananija

Count of Trickery

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699

There's a difference...

For those who don't....I'll reiterate. Kirby is literally a bunch of circles and ovals. Meta Knight is Kirby but with lines and squares in place of some of the circles.
You start out simple. Don't expect to be masters of shading and using shadows as soon as you pet the pencil down.

Nah, trust me, I've tried. I understand why it's easy for most people, but since I was a kid I've been TERRIBLE with pens and pencils. My hand is shaky and highly scribblely. Most elementary schoolers have better hand writing and art.

I'll probably stick to writing and modeling. :p Though my GF is an artist, so perhaps she could help me out.

Same here. I even have story ideas for games and such.

I actually tried to draw on multiple occasions, I even took multiple art classes and had multiple people assist me. I just can't draw. Though I still have some pics saved of my "art".
I"m a senior in high school. My handwriting skill gets compared to that of middle schoolers.
Side question, are we allowed to take pictures of drawings, then post those pictures here?

D

Deleted member

I used to draw often when I was younger, but IIRC it's been several years since I last drew a complete sketch.

D

Deleted member

I"m a senior in high school. My handwriting skill gets compared to that of middle schoolers.
Side question, are we allowed to take pictures of drawings, then post those pictures here?
I'm also a senior in high school too, though to be fair in my cast I'm in special education. I think I just realized this recently, but I really only had problems when I was really young but I outgrew that eventually, the only reason why I struggle right now being sort of a placebo effect over the years. I always thought I was disabled because I was told so, so I've always had this state of mind for awhile that I can't really accomplish much. Why? No real reason other than thinking that I won't be able to by default, so I don't perform nearly as well as I would if I thought I was normal.

And to answer your question, yes you can, or at least I have before. I'll probably do so too, maybe. :p

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Actually, it's fairly easy to make a reasonable and logical analysis of how the Switch will perform given the information we've been shown, combined with a simply look at the current trends in the market/industry.

I honestly doubt it's gonna do well with how the PS4 is performing. For starters, if it's Tegra (which it most likely is, considering Nvidya already confirmed it's their chipset), at best it'll be 85% as powerful as the PS4 WHEN DOCKED, and it won't even come close to the Neo and the Scorpio, whom both Sony and Microsoft felt were NECESSARY upgrades, due to demand from devs (as well as the advent of VR). So on that front the Switch is already underwhelming. It showed off Skyrim (seemingly remaster), and people are hyping this up like it matters because they believe that normies wanna play Skyrim on the go.

Except there are two problems with this. 1) Skyrim is NOT a game suitable for on the go play. It is a game you sit down, and play for long sessions, getting involved in every minute detail of you environment. So the people who think this is a good idea, will at best try it once, and then realize that it's not all that, and then drop it. 2) The idiots WANTING to buy a remaster of a game that already runs better on PC with EMD mods, are gonna get it on the most powerful machine that will make it look the prettiest, ergo, the Neo. With which, the Switch certainly cannot compete.

Secondly, the market right now is almost entirely owned by the PS4. Everyone has one of those, and even Microsoft is struggling to compete with Sony. How on EARTH is Nintendo gonna draw attention from that crowd? The biggest games out right now are Overwatch, Street Fighter V, and to a smaller degree FFXV (which we'll see on FF, as it might flop critically). If the Switch doesn't get any of those, it's not gonna do well. Especially it comes out in 5 months, and Overwatch will certainly still be relevant then. However, there's a catch here. Most gamers are already playing OW on PC, and wouldn't ever bother to play it on console. Meanwhile, most casuals and normies are playing it where most of their friends are playing it, as OW, to them, is a social experience. In other words, they're playing it on the PS4. So even IF OW came to Switch, I doubt it would help much, as most people will already have it on PS4, and if they upgrade to Neo, they can play the same version of the game there, and they won't really bother to shell out $300/$400 one a Nintendo console, with not many other games to play, and no friends to play it with. So here comes our loop. The PS4 ALREADY has a strong install base, and casual gamers will get the games their friends are playing on the consoles their friends have, in order to play with them.

So, Nintendo won't be able to compete with most core gamers again, at least no directly.

So, casual nongamers. The crowd the Wii drew in. Well, LOOK at the Switch, look at how clunky and bulky that thing is. Unless it comes with enough special features to compete with most smartphones on the market, it won't do well. In addition, designwise, it's nowhere near as sleek as most smarphones today. Setting up a tablet on a table, and pulling out two mini controllers is "too much" for your average person. Not to mention, most high end smarthphones ALREADY out already outperform it, and we have much more coming out soon. South Korea is already developing 11k resolution... for MOBILES.

Furthermore, we have the battery life, and this will be the biggest drawback here, as well as what determines the overall cost of this thing. If it's a powerful Tegra X2, or a variant of it, don't expect much in terms of battery life, UNLESS it comes with expensive batteries, which I doubt, as it would drive the price up well over the $700 price range. Meaning, with your average battery, you're looking at 2-3h of gaming time, AT BEST. Since that's what most mobiles can handle with much smaller and less intense games. No doubt, the design of the device, as well as the battery, will be the deciding factor for most casuals. Most would just rather play Candy Crush on their $700 phones, they don't care for ACTUAL gaming. And most gamers are Savvy enough to know that your average Android capable phone is able to emulate everything from the PS2, back. So they sure as hell wouldn't bother on a new Nintendo device that has a questionable future in terms of library (unless it got hacked, but that's a different story).

Which brings me to my next point. The games:

So, in the trailer, the 1st party titles we saw were:
Another Mario platformer
ANOTHER Mario Kart
What's presumably a port of Splatoon, or at best an exclusive sequel
A port of a WiiU Zelda title

And that's really it. People are hyped for Pokemon on console, and Monster Hunter on console. But for one, the latter already exists on WiiU, and it didn't make a difference for it. And second this is a very similar situation to the WiiU. This is NOT how you launch a console mid generation. No one is gonna pay any mind to the Switch if it's got NO exclusive killer apps right off the bat. And I don't mean just one or two, but EVERYTHING. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, DK, FZero, Kirby, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, new IP. IT ALL needs to come out within the first year to have any relevance among gamers. Without that, no one is gonna buy it, which means most 3rd party devs will bail on it after they keep their one game promise, and it'll fade into obscurity. And Nintendo can't continue to churn out casualized forms of their mature IP. On the contrary, it needs to let gamers know that it has games for them too, as well as get its slice of all the multiplat games that everyone loves, and after that.... You have a Gamecube situation at best. With Nintendo running 3rd leg and getting the worst version of the games everyone else is playing on the Playstation. But hey, it's better than a total flop I guess.

So at the end of it all, when you look at the market, and the industry, you really have to ask yourself, now that the Switch has been revealed. WHO? exactly is this machine meant to appeal to? It refuses to compete directly with Sony, it dropped mid gen and doesn't have a very strong launch considering the leaks, and it's too clumsy for the nongamers who already have smartphones. It also won't do VR.

I'll personally be very surprised to see this console be a sweeping success. My pessimism isn't pessimism, it's me saying what I said when Iwata namedropped this thing two years ago. Killing the WiiU early and releasing a console mid-gen when the PS4 ALREADY has a very large established userbase is a very stupid move. Not to mention Sony already one upped Nintendo by releasing the Neo, just before Christmas too.

I honestly DO think Nintendo should just become a 3rd party software developer at this point, rather than continuing to build underpowered consoles. Because they only thing that matters about them at this point is their games, and even those are suffering in their attempts to appeal to a broader audience.
The market will tell what will happen, but you've got a sensible prediction and solid reasoning. Switch'll be another bust-up for Nintendo. I thought so as soon as I saw the thing.

---

pasta from disco:
Ayo so I just jacked asked politely for and received a Windows XP Professional disk from my Uncle's house. Why?
Emperor: Battle for Dune is an old-ass Westwood RTS from 2001, 3d before even Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge came out. It comes with four disks, one install, and three for the glorious campaigns of each house: Ordos (Frank Herbert never made these icy, calculating ********), Atreides (environmentally friendly patriots who love natives), and Harkonnen (backstabbing sons-of-backstabbers who killed their planet through evil fossil fuels and hates natives) fighting for control of Arrakis, and THE SPICE MELANGE, after THE EMPRAH Corrino of the galaxy got assassinated. Its cutscenes are live-goddamn-action in classic Westwood style, and dangerously cheesy.
The game literally can't even on any operating systems besides XP, 98, 95, with the proper drivers and DD. And it was part of muh childhood so I want muh nostalgias. You know.
So I'm gonna partition my SSD with Ubuntu and give XP like 10 gigs just so I can install and run this one game... Why tho? I DESIRE IT

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Speaking of mermen...I did a painting a while back of a mermaid with a few 'males' swimming around her...I made them very sexually dimorphic where they don't even look like the same species...

I always felt mermen should be very unhuman-like in comparison to the female mermaids...

I always having fun painting sexually dimoprhic creatures for some reason...perhaps it's because of how I try to make them very different from the other gender but still retain some characteristics that make them the same species...

It's cool how some Pokemon showcase Sexual Dimorhpism as well...
Best examples
:032::033::034:
:029::030::031:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom