• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No crying until the ending: Ninten for SSB4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessokman

Smash Lord
i have no idea if it is true, my friend said one of roy's moves in melee killed him.Death means legit nothing.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I have a vague memory of playing Smash 64 and there was a glitch where i killed Fox with Link. (For some reason i remember there being blood....lol)

Anyway, yeah death doesn't mean much. (Especially to Ganondorf who dies in every game he's in :troll:)

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I would rather see The Masked Man (Claus), personally. I think The Masked Man would have a pretty gnarly moveset.

Earthbound is sort of a retelling of Mother I. There are canonical differences but the setup is basically the exact same. Including both Ninten and Ness is over-representing Mother I & II because of their closeness. Plus, Earthbound is obscure enough on its own. I feel that Mother 3 could do for a second rep, mainly in that it contains a widely different story than Mother I and Earthbound, even though it's based in the same universe and upon the same structure.

I am also attracted to the concept of The Masked Man because he would make for a unique villain; one that isn't a heavy hardhitter. So far all of the villains have been big and lumberous (with the exception of Star Wolf, who's still not the fastest). A villain with the mobility of Lucas and the offensive flexibility of a magic (well, PSI) swordsman sounds refreshingly original.
QFT; it'll bring a new aspect to the table while pleasing both fans and people foreign to the series/characters of MOTHER

im not saying they'd be bad additions (they'd be quite neat actually), but im not holding my breath for characters that died in their own game. :/

story mode might get... AwkWaRrrRrD:awesome:
Ganondorf, Bowser, Ridley all "died" in their games as well; but that doesn't change the fact they're in. Smash bros isn't a continuation of the MOTHER series; or anything else. "Death" has no involvement in a game that's purpose is to pull everyone from different franchises together :smirk:

And I agree, Story mode has some odd and interesting potential assuming he's in

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
QFT; it'll bring a new aspect to the table while pleasing both fans and people foreign to the series/characters of MOTHER

Ganondorf, Bowser, Ridley all "died" in their games as well; but that doesn't change the fact they're in. Smash bros isn't a continuation of the MOTHER series; or anything else. "Death" has no involvement in a game that's purpose is to pull everyone from different franchises together :smirk:

And I agree, Story mode has some odd and interesting potential assuming he's in
This to infinity because Smash Bros. has their own canon and it doesn't apply to other franchises's canon.

@Grisby That could work. I had no idea how Lucas wound up with a stick.

:phone:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Earthbound is sort of a retelling of Mother I. There are canonical differences but the setup is basically the exact same. Including both Ninten and Ness is over-representing Mother I & II because of their closeness. Plus, Earthbound is obscure enough on its own. I feel that Mother 3 could do for a second rep, mainly in that it contains a widely different story than Mother I and Earthbound, even though it's based in the same universe and upon the same structure.
The only notable similarities plot-wise are the collecting eight melodies and Giygas being the main villain, which is really no big deal. From the way I see it, the canonical differences between Mother I and EarthBound outweigh the similarities. For example, the history of Ninten’s great grandparents plays a very big role in Mother I, unlike EarthBound. Magicant is in both games, but in Mother I it is made from Queen Mary's mind and the characters visit it on multiple points, while in EarthBound it's in Ness's mind and he only goes to it after collecting the last melody. Even though both Ninten and Ness had to collect eight melodies, they both served different purposes in both games. In Mother I Ninten used the Eight Melodies to defeat Giygas, while Ness used them to enter his own mind in EarthBound. The plots of both games also included different events that made both games more unique. Both games had similar elements, but that doesn’t mean they’re the exact same story.

grizby2

Smash Lord
even though i dont support masked man, i'll say this.

there IS time travel involved in the Mother series....

there, i just breathed new life into the masked man. ;)

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Why have Ninten? We already have Sonic, and he does
what NintenDON'T

Vesant

Smash Rookie
Only if Sakurai would be wise enough to incorporate a new design that takes elements from all three appearances (Shirt of the game, eyes, eyebrows, hair, freckles, etc. from the clay car accessories model, and the scarf of the commercial) as well as differenciate him from Ness (as well as differenciate Lucas a little better) would I be in favor of Ninten.

Until then, Porky has my vote for the next Mother candidate if there was to be one.
These characters need to be changed a little to make game more exciting

grizby2

Smash Lord
These characters need to be changed a little to make game more exciting
theres alot they can change about the game to make it more exciting. ness and lucas have enough to call eachother different in terms of moveset (played them time and time again). in terms of appearence.,thats just the artwork of the game series!
I think the appearences of these characters are just messing with peoples heads :| ... no one complains about luigi and mario XD
but i agree that some moves need to be changed. not in the way most people are thinking though.

I SERIOSLY believe that anyone participating in a thread about the mother series, ought to play or at least read up on the games! theres just too much that one needs to know in order to... well .. KNOW. ya know?

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I would like Ninten, but I don't think he'll appear. He just looks to much like Ness, even with the different shirt and the scarf. And to the TC, the creator has said that Ness and Ninten COULD be the same character, though that is up to the player's mind.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I would like Ninten, but I don't think he'll appear. He just looks to much like Ness, even with the different shirt and the scarf. And to the TC, the creator has said that Ness and Ninten COULD be the same character, though that is up to the player's mind.
Ninten could still be redesigned to look more unique from Ness and Lucas. I don’t expect to look exactly like the image in the OP but that’s only an example of how they change him. If it is up to the player’s mind then they don’t necessarily have to be the same character. I personally don’t see them like that. I just see too many different qualities (more by traits than appearance) between the two characters and the stories to consider them the same. Plus, I see most fans consider them as different characters.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I would love two more reps for the Mother series. This is coming out on Wii U and 3DS. Therefore, they have enough space for any character viable for the roster (DLC people). Now, in terms of balancing the roster, that's another issue. Then again, there are games like League of Legends with HUGE rosters and for the most part balanced. We're also living in the age of patching which the Wii seemingly lacked (Brawl probably wouldn't have been able since it released early in the Wii's life vs games like Wii Sports Resort and Skyward Sword that had patching).

Anyhow, love the suggestion and moveset :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ninten would be a very good addition, the first hero of Mother never got its appearance in a Smash game.
I am eager to play the first Mother.'

Oh heres another redesign I found of Ninten, I like his design here

Heres another good one, it's a Brawl texture edit, Ninten actually looks kinda different than Ness:

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
He does look quite a bit different but He should definitely have a wardrobe change. Maybe some pants haha. I think he should have the biggest differences in comparison to the others. maybe make him a tad older than them (sorry not don't know too much about Earthbound/mother so I'm not sure if the preceding ones are sequals or Prequels) and give him some more "refined" PS moves. like a PS Arrow or something liek that.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The ocarina is certainly important for the end of the game. It's really a sad story :(

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really like playing Mother though my version was corrupted so I couldn't finish it. There is some things I think Ninten should have.

I believe Ninten should be more physical than Ness or Lucas just like Ness is more physical than Lucas. Ninten uses his PSI abilities only as support and actually doesn't have any offensive moves. We don't have to go to that extreme since even in the commercials shows Ninten firing PK Beam. His strong suit should be in his physical attacks not his PSI. So it looks something like this.

Ninten: Strong Physical, Weak PSI
Ness: Med Physical, Med PSI
Lucas: Weak Physical, Strong PSI

Another move that Ninten should get is his 4th-D Slip which is a unique move that only Ninten can learn. In game it allowed him to escape any non-major battles. I'm thinking a good recovery move similar to Mewtwo's Up B.

Also being the only asthmatic in the Mother universe I think one of his taunts should be him pulling out an asthma spray and using it.

Also one could argue that Earthbound had two reps in smash if one considers Mewtwo as a semi-rep.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
NINTEN
A: Punch (3%)
AA: Punch, Punch (3%, 3%)
AAA: Punch, Punch, Kick (3%, 3%, 3%)

F-tilt: Launches yo-yo (7%)
D-tilt: Swipes at feet with baseball bat (7%)
U-tilt: Kicks in a 360 degree circle, levitating on air with PSI (8%)

N-air: Spins forwards in a circle with PSI around body (12%)
U-air: Sparkle of PSI erupts upwards from hand (12%)
F-air: Sparkle of PSI erupts out of hand (12%)
D-air: Hits downwards with baseball bat (13%) [Will spike]

Pummel: Knees to stomach (2-4% per pummel)
U-throw: Spins in PSI wheel above head, then tosses (13%)
D-throw: Tosses target on ground (14%)
F-throw: Spins 360 degrees and tosses with mild PSI push (13%)
B-throw: Tosses target above head and behind body (12-13%)

U-smash: Finger points up with a burst of PSI above head (16%)
D-smash: Kicks into ground, PSI bursts from ground around Ninten (15%)
F-smash: Puts palms together and flashes PSI forwards (17%)

Neutral-B: Bursts PSI out from body (7%-16%) [Chargeable]
Forward-B: PSI Hypnosis [Puts target to sleep for 2-6 seconds, given the target isn't being hit]
Down-B: PSI Shield [Lasts for a max of 5 seconds, recharge time is 4 seconds]
Up-B: 4th-D Slip [Moves through a dimensional hole, directable with d-pad]

U-Taunt: Looks up to the sky, then briefly smiles
D-Taunt: Plays with yo-yo
F-Taunt: Looks behind him, then in front of him; baby Giegue circles around head, out of sight

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I feel bad for Ninten now, so many people reject him to be a potential character because Ness and Ninten look alike. I think he has the potential to have a different move set than Ness and Lucas.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can see Ninten working but no.1 they'd have to redesign him slightly to emphasis the differences between him and Ness and to give him a unique moveset, rather that being Lucas 2.0 (Who was Ness 2.0)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
His appearance can be the clay model of him, his head is more round and has spiked down hair with small white pupil eyes.
Ninten's similar appearance really hurts his chances. There isn't any demand in Japan either.

More importantly though, whether Ninten is made playable or not also depends a lot on whether Lucas is luigified further. There still are people calling Lucas a clone, and I'm pretty sure people wouldn't want two semi-clones of the same character..

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The ideal would be... Ninten as an EX mode for Ness, with Porky has a newcomer character.

Honestly, with the series over, I don't think there will be any EarthBound newcomer.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In the end Ninten as an alt costume for Ness is fine in my books. It would be nice to see him fully playable but he and Ness were designed to be deliberately similar for the sake of familiarity.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Honestly, with the series over, I don't think there will be any EarthBound newcomer.
I don’t think the series ending really should affect the chances of any EarthBound character. Super Smash Bros is supposed to be about Nintendo’s history, whether the series that are featured are constant or not.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The title made me think of Godot.... ok, I'll support Ninten!

Astal Nighting

Smash Rookie
Ninten needs to be in SSB Wii U, especially if they plan on adding another Mother character. Any of other character would just be a slap in the face to original Mother, in my opinion. To avoid similarities to Ness in appearance:
  • Makes his hat one solid color like in the Mother Encyclopedia.
  • Give him the same attire as in the Mother commerical. Shirt with 3 different colors, scarf, and belt.
  • Have him constantly hold his bat similar to those who hold swords (Link, Marth, Ike, etc..)
  • His bat should be metal as seen here.
  • Hair more straight instead is of the puff Ness has.
  • Red blush marks like in the clay model.
For his move list:

Neutral B: Braincyclone- Functions like Ness and Lucas' in terms of movement and aim. On hit it makes the target feel strange; thus causing them to move slower, randomly taunt, get dizziness, or hurt them selves when attacking for a short period of time.

Up-B: Dimensional Warp- The space around Ninten becomes distorted then he disappears. reappearing in a different location with space around him still distorted. Basically a teleport.

Down-B: PK Life up- Ninten slowly heals himself. He cannot move during this.

Forward-B: PK Hypnosis- Anyone in front of Ninten falls to sleep. Short Range.

Final Smash: PK Beam Gamma- Instantly KO's anyone caught in its line of fire. Similar to Zelda's light arrow.

Taunt 1: Uses his inhaler.
Taunt 2: Balances the bat on his hand.
Taunt 3: Twist and bends a spoon using PSI.

This would be a breath of fresh air for me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There is actually a lot about the world of Earthbound Zero I prefer over the world of Earthbound.

Ninten's Magicant would make a wonderful level, I believe. Queen Mary's song is pretty good.

Not to mention that Giygas was more of Ninten's opponent than Ness.

Kind of funny, Ness finishes off Ninten's enemy, and Lucas finishes off Ness' enemy

This.

I like Mother 1´s world a lot. Not more than 2, in fact they´re basically equal in my book. (Mother 3 on the other hand...)

But yeah, Magicant is easily my favorite part of Mother 1.

If they can make him different from Ness + Lucas, I say go for it. If anything, make him a FAST character. And I'd like to see him use support spells as well, instead of the usual PK Fire, Thunder, Freeze, etc. Give him Attack Up, Defense Up, Teleport, and other unique abilities, and I'll happily take Ninten over the other two any day! :D

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I was thinking about this recently because of my playing the Mother series for the first time. Unfortunately I think I'm not going to play through the rest of the first because it is frustratingly outdated, and the inventory problems are ridiculous (not to say it is a bad game really). Having the main protagonist of each series would be fun. I don't think Ninten's appearance is his biggest issue, let alone an issue at all. My main worries were actually what he'd do. Partially because he learns very little offensive PSI, but people are seemingly open to the idea of doing what Ness and Lucas did in Smash: use moves they didn't use in the game but borrow from others. The apparent justification being they could "theoretically" learn it. The other issue would be the fact that he uses a bat, a boomerang, and a slingshot, all things we've seen already. This isn't particularly a big deal, we can have more people doing it, but there comes a point where I question what is uniquely offered here set wise. A solution could be like with Lucas, which is to make him simply do PSI attacks as his standard moves, which, if they stand apart from Lucas' to a good degree, would be pretty acceptable.

The concept of him using his fourth-dimensional slip as his recovery occured to me and sets himself apart from the other two, although in doing so gives him a move similar to Zelda and Mewtwo (who let's face it, is probably coming back). Again not an issue, but I like to keep in mind, once more, that we should be seeking character concepts that bring something distinct to the roster, Lucas himself only hardly doing so (not at all suggesting he leave, I want him to stay, whether he is altered or not). Hypnosis is also a good idea, though also plays similarly to Jigglypuff, and if Mewtwo comes back in and retains a similar move, him as well. For the third time, I realize this is a hypercritical observation.

As for bringing in someone else, Porky confuses me at first. Although, one individual brought up the idea of him using the smaller mech of the two he uses, the one from Earthbound/Mother 2. In it I believe he uses gas, and he can perhaps also toss out mecha-Porkys from Mother 3. Also in Mother 3 he uses a PSI shield, which is pretty standard, and also does inexplicable "Giygas"-esque attacks, which could perhaps somehow be implemented. A final smash could be summoning Pig Masks/mecha-porkies or a Giygas-esque attack depending on what is actually implemented in his set. Speaking of Porkey in Smash, I found this on the internet. :laugh: Also, for the record, the character himself I absolutely love, could probably go on about him for a while.

Masked Man could use his jetpack which is similar to R.O.B., he could fire a beam, he could use a thunder attack, his final smash probably going to PK Love. A somewhat unique character, but not too much. And honestly, if I were to get a third Mother character, pulling from the third again and ignoring the first is less desirable, Porkey not doing this as badly for he at least represents 2+3, despite those of course being repped already as well.

The title made me think of Godot.... ok, I'll support Ninten!
When I read the first bit I thought this was a Godot support thread, which strangely got me excited. :laugh:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I was thinking about this recently because of my playing the Mother series for the first time. Unfortunately I think I'm not going to play through the rest of the first because it is frustratingly outdated, and the inventory problems are ridiculous (not to say it is a bad game really). Having the main protagonist of each series would be fun. I don't think Ninten's appearance is his biggest issue, let alone an issue at all. My main worries were actually what he'd do. Partially because he learns very little offensive PSI, but people are seemingly open to the idea of doing what Ness and Lucas did in Smash: use moves they didn't use in the game but borrow from others. The apparent justification being they could "theoretically" learn it. The other issue would be the fact that he uses a bat, a boomerang, and a slingshot, all things we've seen already. This isn't particularly a big deal, we can have more people doing it, but there comes a point where I question what is uniquely offered here set wise. A solution could be like with Lucas, which is to make him simply do PSI attacks as his standard moves, which, if they stand apart from Lucas' to a good degree, would be pretty acceptable.

The concept of him using his fourth-dimensional slip as his recovery occured to me and sets himself apart from the other two, although in doing so gives him a move similar to Zelda and Mewtwo (who let's face it, is probably coming back). Again not an issue, but I like to keep in mind, once more, that we should be seeking character concepts that bring something distinct to the roster, Lucas himself only hardly doing so (not at all suggesting he leave, I want him to stay, whether he is altered or not). Hypnosis is also a good idea, though also plays similarly to Jigglypuff, and if Mewtwo comes back in and retains a similar move, him as well. For the third time, I realize this is a hypercritical observation.

As for bringing in someone else, Porky confuses me at first. Although, one individual brought up the idea of him using the smaller mech of the two he uses, the one from Earthbound/Mother 2. In it I believe he uses gas, and he can perhaps also toss out mecha-Porkys from Mother 3. Also in Mother 3 he uses a PSI shield, which is pretty standard, and also does inexplicable "Giygas"-esque attacks, which could perhaps somehow be implemented. A final smash could be summoning Pig Masks/mecha-porkies or a Giygas-esque attack depending on what is actually implemented in his set. Speaking of Porkey in Smash, I found this on the internet. :laugh: Also, for the record, the character himself I absolutely love, could probably go on about him for a while.

Masked Man could use his jetpack which is similar to R.O.B., he could fire a beam, he could use a thunder attack, his final smash probably going to PK Love. A somewhat unique character, but not too much. And honestly, if I were to get a third Mother character, pulling from the third again and ignoring the first is less desirable, Porkey not doing this as badly for he at least represents 2+3, despite those of course being repped already as well.

When I read the first bit I thought this was a Godot support thread, which strangely got me excited. :laugh:
Well, the first game is the most obscure, as it was released in japan only. It is also the least memorable due to the issues you mentioned. Earthbound had some horrid inventory as well, as you had so much equipment and key items, you didn't have room for many food/bombs/bottlerockets. Mother 3 is the most recent and most memorable, as it actually messed with your emotions and had a beautiful storyline. I'd rather get the masked man any day

Astal Nighting

Smash Rookie
Good observation. Bringing something unique to the roster should be a must (which is what the developers are most likely going for this time around), but a problem like this is easily solved once you consider all psi moves available and the room for imagination due to Mother's ambiguity. For example, Ninten's dimensional warp could not only teleport him, but also cause anyone near to be dragged along as well; and/or if he lands on someone, they are sent to his previous location. And instead of having Hypnosis he can use some kind of random stat boost generator for his neutral B, given stat changing was his niche in Mother. The stat changes could be a defense (Defense Up), a speed (Quick Up), to an offense boost (Offense Up). When each stat boost is active Ninten will have a feint aura around him, each one a different color and lasting a short period of time with a cool-down. There's also Braincyclone which could cause the target to damage themselves and teammates as well when attacking, dizziness, or move slower. This would be a froward B and is sent out in a cone shaped wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom