• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Disassemble!: Overswarm's instruction manual for ROB

Status
Not open for further replies.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
plan to read this all tonight and tomorrow...but I checked to see if you mentioned it and I don't think anyone else ever has...if someone has the ability to test this, PLEASE do. I did this once in tournament [in teams, kinda chaotic so I'm not sure if his DI had or COULD have had anything to do with it...don't see how, though]

A Falco was hanging on the ledge and I did a dash attack at the ledge...and he got stage spiked.

Fluke?

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Was this Castle Siege and tilted? Or Lylat Cruise? If not.... I have absolutely no clue, but I can almost guarantee it's not going to be reproducible. At least not reliably.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It kinda makes sense I guess. I haven't experimented much with ROB's dash attack (it's one of my 3 least-used moves, next to side-B and dair) but maybe it works like G&W's dash attack in Melee, which could do just what you're describing. Its hitbox was large and extended under the stage and it always knocked up and slightly back, so if someone was hanging on the ledge they would bounce off the stage and get stage-spiked.

Then again maybe he just happened to jump at the exact moment you hit him and he DIed into the wall.

toasty

Smash Hero
Then again maybe he just happened to jump at the exact moment you hit him and he DIed into the wall.
that's the part I'm not sure about. He was edgehogging my teammate who was Marth. Falco was invulnerable during Marth's upB and Marth was starting to float right at the edge [he didn't upB any higher than the edge] and the dash attack hit both of them [but the Marth was DIing up, he said]... I would think that the instant the ledge was free [if Falco was letting go to jump or whatever] Marth would have grabbed it, since that's been my experience when Marth is just floating there for eons after his upB

Sharky

Smash Master
I'd just like to contribute to the Yoshi match-up, as he and R.O.B. are my mains and I don't feel this does the dinodragon justice. Just a bit of info from the Yoshi side of things.

Recovery: a proper Yoshi will almost NEVER use fair to edgeguard. Most often it will come in the form of a dair or a rising nair. If he uses his double jump properly he should be able to jump out all the way to the edge of the screen to edgeguard you if he wants, because Yoshi has the fastest max horizontal air speed out of the whole cast and that double jump of his can get him back from almost anywhere. Eggs may seem relatively harmless, but he can stack a few of them on top of each other, so try not to take too many hits. Your coverage of the uair was nice, I'll leave that alone.

Approaching: OS hit the nail on the head with his shield, it's the worst in the game easily. A good Yoshi will hardly ever use it. He's certainly not without defensive options, though. His pivot grab is amazing, for example (try it for yourself!) He can also slide back while throwing an egg by canceling a jump with it, making for a decent counter to the bair approach. Fairs are a nice option, though he might be able to slide an upsmash underneath it since he lowers his head to do it, so make sure your fair is nice and low. Best bait him with lasers and gyros first to knock him off balance.

Defending: Yoshi's bair is nice. If you shield it, there's a chance the last hit will poke through and hit you if you don't angle it right. Watch out for another bair following up the first one, as well, as it can be auto-canceled easy and it doesn't have much landing lag when it isn't, either. Expect to see a lot of jabs, as well, they're fast and the second kick has decent range to it. Watch out for those sliding egg tosses I mentioned earlier, as well. If you don't powershield it, chances are he'll be able to follow up with a dash grab if he's close. Dash attacks aren't exactly common, but they do give him a good lunge forward. Easily punishable with a shield grab, bair, whatever.

Edgeguarding: As far as I know, fair does not knock Yoshi out of his heavy armor until high percentages. There is a period during his jump when he doesn't have heavy armor, maybe that's what you're thinking of? Anyhow, air-dodged double jumps are common among good Yoshi's, and if you go out for the fair, that's probably what will happen. They'll often save their double jump in favor of throwing eggs at you first if you stay on the stage. D-tilts are nice at the ledge, just watch out incase he double jumps through one and hits you with a uair. The timing is rough, but it's possible. A nair might come out, as well. If he's on the ledge and you're not near it he might drop off and throw an egg at you, and repeat. He can do it five times before having to use a double jump to continue.

On one last note, I recommend people check out the "Dragonic Reverse" thread pinned in the Yoshi forums. Closest thing to a wavedash Brawl's gonna see.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
On one last note, I recommend people check out the "Dragonic Reverse" thread pinned in the Yoshi forums. Closest thing to a wavedash Brawl's gonna see.
i think captain falcon can do it too, using its upB, really hard tho

toasty said:
plan to read this all tonight and tomorrow...but I checked to see if you mentioned it and I don't think anyone else ever has...if someone has the ability to test this, PLEASE do. I did this once in tournament [in teams, kinda chaotic so I'm not sure if his DI had or COULD have had anything to do with it...don't see how, though]

A Falco was hanging on the ledge and I did a dash attack at the ledge...and he got stage spiked.

Fluke?
i think marth also has the ability to do this too, but with his upsmash. however, it only kills spacies. theres a vid of it somewhere floating on the internet

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Nice.

I think it would be better for the board in general if you focused on the matchups ROB has more difficulties with first (I understand snake being there, yoshi not so much) such as MK, G&W,DDD, and Fox (I don't know if this is just me or not though)

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Nice.

I think it would be better for the board in general if you focused on the matchups ROB has more difficulties with first (I understand snake being there, yoshi not so much) such as MK, G&W,DDD, and Fox (I don't know if this is just me or not though)
I agree -

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I have to dissagree with some of your Snake statements.

Rolling is always the best option (if there is no nade) it depends on the Player, as they divers so much. if you get up attack, the nair will hit you. Anything will, but if you roll, you go right under it AND you've got frames of nivincibility. this completely voids this option. then he wil realise the nades wont work, then he will go for the U smash wich you can cancel with a fair, and use a double fair to hit him.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nice.

I'll do them as I please; this will generally be about matchups I feel I know well. Hard matchups like Metaknight... I am constantly learning. Until I get a solid, unwavering understanding of a matchup, it will not go up. I don't plan on editing these frequently.

Sudai

Stuff here
I have to dissagree with some of your Snake statements.

Rolling is always the best option (if there is no nade) it depends on the Player, as they divers so much. if you get up attack, the nair will hit you. Anything will, but if you roll, you go right under it AND you've got frames of nivincibility. this completely voids this option. then he wil realise the nades wont work, then he will go for the U smash wich you can cancel with a fair, and use a double fair to hit him.
You're expecting the Snake to act before you act. Any Snake that tries to act before seeing what you plan to do is pretty stupid.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I'll do them as I please; this will generally be about matchups I feel I know well. Hard matchups like Metaknight... I am constantly learning. Until I get a solid, unwavering understanding of a matchup, it will not go up. I don't plan on editing these frequently.
One thing I learned about MK is Fairs are your friends... so are Uairs. also, don't use your Nair when your above him. wait for jsut the opposite, because that's when it has the best range. (also great for dittos)

If he approaches with SH F>B, NEVER use your lasers. he will get there before you. just roll behind him and punish. Any other time your Laser is good.

Glide tossing is useless, as the top will go right over his head.

Jungle japes are great here, because if MK's on the platforms, you can throw the gyro and it won't go over him, yes his horizontal recovery is good, but often they over shoot and go into the gap, or have to fall because of the lower platfor, adn you may punish.

Hope that helps :)

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Snake on the edge is too ****ing good >.> . The patient ones who don't spam Usmash just wait there block all your **** and then punish with tilts or jab combo .

Someone find a way around the gay please =D .

10kanackers

toasty

Smash Hero
Snake on the edge is too ****ing good >.> . The patient ones who don't spam Usmash just wait there block all your **** and then punish with tilts or jab combo .

Someone find a way around the gay please =D .

10kanackers
Haha Nax remember me saying the exact same thing after Critical Hit? They must not know about Candy XD [though it sounds exactly like him, if it's not, who are you talking about? Because Candy is a ****ing MONSTER at doing exactly what you detailed.]

@Nintendevil: I need a second job...can I just MM everyone you play against?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
One thing I learned about MK is Fairs are your friends... so are Uairs. also, don't use your Nair when your above him. wait for jsut the opposite, because that's when it has the best range. (also great for dittos)

If he approaches with SH F>B, NEVER use your lasers. he will get there before you. just roll behind him and punish. Any other time your Laser is good.

Glide tossing is useless, as the top will go right over his head.

Jungle japes are great here, because if MK's on the platforms, you can throw the gyro and it won't go over him, yes his horizontal recovery is good, but often they over shoot and go into the gap, or have to fall because of the lower platfor, adn you may punish.

Hope that helps :)
I hope no one is listening to this guy. I don't feel like refuting it point for point, but it's essentially completely wrong.

lulz @ glide tossing being useless in this matchup. You don't always have to throw it forward.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah, I've had nintendevil on my ignore list for a while. Everyone knows I'm never wrong, right? XD

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Haha Nax remember me saying the exact same thing after Critical Hit? They must not know about Candy XD [though it sounds exactly like him, if it's not, who are you talking about? Because Candy is a ****ing MONSTER at doing exactly what you detailed.]

@Nintendevil: I need a second job...can I just MM everyone you play against?
Lol yea candy does that **** to but this time it was chillin he mind gamed me and i rushed to shoot projectiles instead of waiting for an opening so all my **** was blocked or side stepped .

10kanackers

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I wish there were more Falcos around here to practice against. I still have more trouble with this matchup than I should. Though I feel like I've gotten better at it just by reading that, can't wait to try out some stuff.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The real trick in that matchup is to figure out how to hit with bairs when edgeguarding. Once you can do that, he alomst never gets back.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Falco seems like more of a average matchup than easy to me. good update though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I had some difficulty myself in deciding whether to put "easy" or "average" for the matchup, but I ended up deciding on easy because I'm assuming this is at high level play. Falco's game against ROB maxes out pretty quick, while ROB has several options at all times, most of them deadly.

The clincher was the fact that ROB can kill Falco at any %, while Falco does not have that option.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
I had some difficulty myself in deciding whether to put "easy" or "average" for the matchup, but I ended up deciding on easy because I'm assuming this is at high level play. Falco's game against ROB maxes out pretty quick, while ROB has several options at all times, most of them deadly.

The clincher was the fact that ROB can kill Falco at any %, while Falco does not have that option.
True .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom