• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No sympathy: Ike Video thread

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
how do you guys fight projectile spammy characters? Im a sheik trying to switch to ike but I feel like he is camped way easier than a lot of characters.
Samus and mario in particular.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
how do you guys fight projectile spammy characters? Im a sheik trying to switch to ike but I feel like he is camped way easier than a lot of characters.
Samus and mario in particular.
I don't have a lot of experience against Samus, but against Mario if he uses fireballs to approach counter them but don't get too predictable with the counters or else you'll just get grabbed, and if he's camping look for openings in his pattern to get in. Be careful about using Quick Draw to approach because the fireballs will shut it down, but it's still great for continuing combos.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Counter's not a good idea. Mario can put out fireballs quick enough that countering one leaves you wide open for another. Mundane shield would be better so you can nair or WD out of it, PS'ing would be ideal so he has to worry about the projectile coming back at him.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Counter's not a good idea. Mario can put out fireballs quick enough that countering one leaves you wide open for another. Mundane shield would be better so you can nair or WD out of it, PS'ing would be ideal so he has to worry about the projectile coming back at him.
It depends on where he is. If he's mid to close range, and he tries to approach with a fireball counter will work fine as a mixup, but like I said you'll get grabbed if you do it too often.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
True. Projectile characters are at their most annoying when playing keep-away, though, and counter hardly ever helps there. It is slightly better when they're using a projectile to cover their approach, but I'd still be wary of using it.

BlinkIV

Avenger
For now, here's a few videos of me vs Oracle. He's been playing Olimar lately, and that feels pretty weird to play against. It was taken from the stream last night

http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator/b/504860451

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Olimar) @ 00:58

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Toon Link) @ 22:10

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Ike) @ 26:29

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Olimar) @ 39:23

Don't mind the crappy quality, we ended up switching to xsplit and got a better outcome. This is just the majority of matches I played with Ike.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys, I've been incredibly inactive because of work-related obligations, but I should be able to play more often. I got a LOT of matches recorded at a Smashfest featuring Hylian, Ripple, Tmacc, and Darkatma. Note, however, that these were all friendlies and I was playing mostly for fun, so I die really stupidly at times (like going deep against Ripple's D3 and getting edgeguarded in return lol).

Stream Archive Part 1
1:01:39 - metroid (Ike) vs Riio (Falco)
1:04:49 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
1:08:09 - Ripple (Yoshi) vs metroid (Ike)
1:11:38 - Ripple (Yoshi) vs metroid (Ike)
1:14:40 - Ripple (Ike) vs metroid (Ike)
1:17:50 - Ripple (Ike) vs metroid (Ike) <-- reverse BAir is too good
1:20:04 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
1:23:09 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
1:26:46 - metroid (Ike) vs Darkatma (Pit)
1:31:12 - Ripple (Marth) vs metroid (Ike)
1:35:17 - metroid (Ike) vs Darkatma (Pit)

Stream Archive Part 3 (nothing in Part 2)
0:03:33 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
0:12:22 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
0:16:30 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
0:26:38 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
0:31:03 - Tmacc (Bowser) vs metroid (Ike)
0:34:34 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
1:19:33 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Ike)
1:23:18 - Tmacc (Link) vs metroid (Ike)
1:25:03 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link) <-- this combo was the highlight of my day

metroid1117

Smash Master
EDIT:
For now, here's a few videos of me vs Oracle. He's been playing Olimar lately, and that feels pretty weird to play against. It was taken from the stream last night

http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator/b/504860451

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Olimar) @ 00:58

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Toon Link) @ 22:10

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Ike) @ 26:29

Blink (Ike) Vs Oracle (Olimar) @ 39:23

Don't mind the crappy quality, we ended up switching to xsplit and got a better outcome. This is just the majority of matches I played with Ike.
I watched your first 3 matches and I was pretty impressed! I really liked the crispness of your wavelands, I gotta work on those. One thing you might want to work on is your punish game; after UThrow, you usually opted for UAir, which generally works well except that it's sometimes too slow to connect. BAir has a hitbox in front of Ike's face that comes out on frame 8 or 9, making it pretty good for comboing out of UThrow and, in general, any time the opponent DI's outward and in front of you at mid %s; even though it has relatively high KB, it's fairly reliable as a combo extender at low/mid %s because Ike's air speed out of a short-hop is pretty good. You also might want to mess around with pivot grabs out of QD; they're really handy because if you charge QD, the opponent can spot-dodge at the charge time where a standard JC grab would work, but you can usually wait out the spot-dodge and pivot grab them instead. It also gives you some flexibility with your combo game for those instances where the opponent is knocked away too far to run up with a short-hop FAir and too close to QD JC grab.

EDIT 2: My bad, didn't mean to double-post =/.

Last edited:

Suyon

Smash Lord
Don't think I've ever posted in the Project M area but hello.
Had a tournament last week in Dayton Ohio. Here are my matches.
The quality sucks due to equipment problems from Columbus Smash.

vs. Ralph Cecil (Ivysaur/Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OttM_2FWpP4

Don't think Ralph plays PM that much. I was playing really dumb here too.

vs. SoulPech (JigglyPuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Rd9W6ypW0

vs. Juushichi (Sheik/Game and Watch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1G4s1Ui5pY

Against Game and Watch I let him live too much. I edgeguarded him but just let him back on the stage when he can't do anything at all. When I also try to punish character recovering on stage when I'm on the ledge I can't bair or space or time it right. I should either get of the ledge sooner and bair or just get on stage grab or whatever punishing move. I'm assuming fair would work too.
Things I noticed are F-tilt that is shielded can be easily punishable. QD against GnW is dumb since I just get d-tilt or f-tilted. Same goes with jabbing a GnW too. I need more nairs against GnW.
Coming from Brawl to P:M I do think I need to work on my edge guarding. It felt way too much like brawl when they just recover. Most of my game plans are based off of reads.
I do think I should have beaten his GnW. I let him get away with too may things.

Last edited:

BlinkIV

Avenger
Hey, thanks Metroid. That's great advice to utilize. I'll be using that more often, and improving my Ike game. I normally like to do SH Uairs after U-Throw, but I forgot his Bair hits in front like Fox and Falco's mainly. It's good to know about that, and I really should pivot grab a lot more. Most of the time I was trying to adapt to fighting his Olimar too.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Uthrow Chain --> bair is particularly schmexy on spacies. It hits right in front of Ike's shoulder if you need to land the forward hit. Another thing is that Uthrow to nair is a pretty good combo starter; the angle nair sends out of Uthrow is a bit wonky, but Nair comes out the fastest and you can probably string two in the air, then land and toss out a Uair if they land/tech on a platform and cover all the options. Ike has a pretty good juggle game.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Uthrow Chain --> bair is particularly schmexy on spacies. It hits right in front of Ike's shoulder if you need to land the forward hit. Another thing is that Uthrow to nair is a pretty good combo starter; the angle nair sends out of Uthrow is a bit wonky, but Nair comes out the fastest and you can probably string two in the air, then land and toss out a Uair if they land/tech on a platform and cover all the options. Ike has a pretty good juggle game.
Nairs 2nd fastest after bair
AttacksHitbox ActiveFAFBase Dmg.Landing Lag/L-CancelAutocancelNotes
Nair
7, 8-184012/12/14/12/10, 10/10/11/10/89/181-3, 36-39
Fair17-204713/13/16/13/1013/261-4, 38-46
Bair7-93615/15/17/15/129/191-4, 30-35
Uair9-14, 15-244113/13/15/13/11, 15/15/17/15/1212/2435-40
Dair16-17, 18-304414/14/17/14/12, 9/9/10/9/712/241-4, 38-43
oh goodness
@Aerodrome how do you copy tables?

Last edited:

BlinkIV

Avenger
Lord, I knew about that. Especially what he can do to spacies. At the last tournament I entered, I haven't dropped a single game to any space animal. I'm pretty comfortable fighting them. Of course I can't enter tournaments lately because of work restrictions. But yeah.

Rayzorium

Smash Apprentice
Houston player here and I can't think of PM-focused players that main species. Lots of Melee spacie mains that enter PM though (Mojo and Jake come to mind).

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys, I have a LOT of new footage from two Smashfests I attended this past weekend. Here's footage from my Smashfests last Saturday:

Part 1/2
0:13 - metroid (Ike) vs Bryan (Lucas)
4:54 - metroid (Ike) vs Bryan (Lucas)
6:39 - metroid (Ike) vs Bryan (Lucas)

Part 2/2
0:08:04 - metroid (Ike) vs Mario (Falcon)
0:10:08 - metroid (Ike) vs Mario (Falcon)
0:13:02 - metroid (Ike) vs Mario (Falcon)
0:16:21 - metroid (Ike) vs Mario (Falcon)
0:18:40 - metroid (Ike) vs Mario (Falcon)
0:21:07 - metroid (Ike) vs Mario (Falcon)
0:25:37 - metroid (Ike) vs ??? (Link)
0:28:36 - metroid (Ike) vs ??? (Link)
1:19:26 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness) <- 1:21:16
1:21:46 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:25:26 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:27:32 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:29:20 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:31:46 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness) <- First stock has so many BAirs...
1:34:14 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:37:59 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:40:37 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:43:48 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness) <- Poor Ness :(
1:47:20 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:49:46 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)
1:52:45 - metroid (Ike) vs Adam (Ness)

I'll probably dig through footage from Sunday's Smashfest later, but for now, you can find it on Hylian's channel.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I got EXPOSED by M2K and Zero lol, I've never felt more outclassed than when playing them.
I honestly don't think you did bad against M2K, until maybe that very last match on the 2nd video. It looked like there were a lot of times where using empty QD to get back on stage from the ledge would've been more beneficial for you than F-Air.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Solid, solid work. Your jab pressure is excellent and you don't fool around with your punish game either. I think your movement needs more precision when it comes to covering techs more, but for the most part your consistency for execution and punishes is very high.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
http://www.twitch.tv/m/520844 (My Ike is on the 2nd round, 1st round is Bowser).

Well this is my first time bringing my Ike into the forefront. I think it went pretty well! Missed a ton of opportunities for follow-ups, but I held my own for what it was worth. I want to take my ike to the next level, where should I start?

Commander

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/m/520844 (My Ike is on the 2nd round, 1st round is Bowser).

Well this is my first time bringing my Ike into the forefront. I think it went pretty well! Missed a ton of opportunities for follow-ups, but I held my own for what it was worth. I want to take my ike to the next level, where should I start?
When did you pick up Ike? Now I may actually have competior for best SoCal Ike :'(.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
When did you pick up Ike? Now I may actually have competior for best SoCal Ike :'(.
I never really "picked him up" persay, but I use him time to time in friendlies. I don't want to take anybody's spot, but I'd love to learn more so I can possibly pocket him or side him for MU's

Commander

Smash Ace
I never really "picked him up" persay, but I use him time to time in friendlies. I don't want to take anybody's spot, but I'd love to learn more so I can possibly pocket him or side him for MU's
After seeing the match it didn't seem like you were using Ike's range to your advantage. This let Nashun get in on you repeatedly. You also seemed not know what to do when you got a grab so you should work on your grab game. There was a point where you charged quick draw, saw Nashun go into shield, and you still attacked him. When you see an opponent go into shield like that you get a free grab(people who are unused to fighting Ike go into shield under this situation a lot) and I don't understand why you didn't go for it. I didn't like those fsmash edgeguards. SHFFL'd fairs are better because the hitbox is out longer and covers more area and still has a great pay off.

What match ups would make you consider playing Ike? I'd imagine a diferent character could handle those match ups better. Marth would probably handle those matches almost exactly the same but have the advantage of a developed metagame.

Also it isn't like I actually have the spot, especially since I haven't had time for tourneys recently. It is just that there aren't any other skilled Ike players that regularly attend tourneys. I hope my Ike can actually get recognized as threat over this summer.

Last edited:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Watched some of your set vs Infinity. MK is a fast faller so I use uthrow to setup juggles instead of trying to tech chase with fthrow.

Needs a little more jab 1 -> 2 -> regrab. You have all the fundamentals. Just need more experience IMO.

Top Bottom