• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i think i've found a venue to hold a tournament in san jose. i will have to front money, and consequently charge a venue fee, but there hasn't been an sj tourney in a while so i'm hoping that won't deter people. that said:

-- are people willing to pay a couple bucks extra (i'm guessing san jose players will)
-- when are some good dates (starting in january obv)

Shroomed

Smash Master
as long as ur venue fee isn't more than $5 im sure ppl won't mind

if i won money and u were negative i'd give u some of it bak for venue

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
I am hella down to help you Julian, where did you find a venue?

And Im down for a venue fee, I have to pay to travel to SF so a small fee to play in SJ is fine with me.
place is a card shop downtown. ~ 10 min walk from sjsu , ~20 min from diridon caltrain, 5 min from the light rail. i still need to check the place out, but i've heard it's spacious. biggest concern is parking since it's downtown

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
yeah, i've been in contact w/the manager over the last week and he gave the ok on it. just need to make sure we can be in the store long enough to run the whole tournament-- they are open long enough to do it (11 am to 10pm) but i didn't specify duration until today. i don't think that will be a problem at this stage though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i was gonna say i wanna get ranked but then i realized i've been beating ranked players ever since the inception of the norcal PR, i just dont go to enough tournaments to be considered for each ranking period lawl. get @ the unranked-nater

i remember the days of saying

"wow u came all the way from _____ and u lost to an unranked donkey kong?"

u cant say that anymore jaime ♥

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
does lucien still have his spreadsheet thing? haha that is cool

anyway dgdtj is over so i think it would be cool to see a new one

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Regarding the DTSJ tournament, is $5 venue fee too expensive? The location is in DTSJ, so parking may incur expenses. The venue is $100 for the entire day so we need at least 20 entrants to break even. I'm also trying to figure out a good combination of how many set ups to give discounts for and how much discount to give and most importantly lower the venue fee. If we get decent attendance, the owner may see this and work out a deal with us. No one really complained about the $5 venue fee at the WSJ, but that's only because the venue was nice. I'm not yet sure if this venue is good enough to justify a $5 venue fee though. I haven't seen it yet.

pockyD

Smash Legend
something I was working on today

http://kmsun07.dyndns-remote.com

still dirty and unorganized as **** but should hopefully be useful enough when we actually 1) get all the tio files 2) decide to care about rankings again

we wouldn't need this **** if everyone claimed their results on aib!

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
the venue sounds nice, granted that is hearsay (from those who recommended it, not the owner). they routinely hold other types of tournaments there, so i can't imagine it's a dump. i never really intended to charge $5 for venue fee b/c there appears to be significant demand, i don't want to deter people from attending and i don't really mind eating a few bucks in the worst case.

that said, even if the venue isn't that nice please recognize that we're also--i would argue primarily--paying for convenience by saving time and money driving/barting/busing/etc to go to san francisco or elsewhere in the bay. of course this logic only applies to people closer to the south bay, but that is clearly the target group. of course i hope others come as well

if i decide i need to charge $5, any profit would go to hosting another tourney (the owner has said that if the event runs smoothly we may be able to arrange a monthly tournament or something to that effect), or the good player fund or something like that. again, i don't plan on doing so, but any surplus is going back to the community anyway

joeplicate

Smash Master
i will claim my results on AIB when u guys decide to do a rankings LOL

just say which tourneys you're gonna use, so i know which ones to register for

joeplicate

Smash Master
what's that supposed to mean, i don't gotta do ****
just use this ranking

1. scar
2. hmw
2.5. zoap
3. bobbysiege
4. jb
6. mooninite
5. me
7. brandon
8. phil
below 7/8: darrell
10. pewfat
11. L
12. pokey =D
13. brandondortf
12. bobbysiege
14. azusa and mooninite

dead: zel, tang, lucien, rey
4th or some ****: bob$, shroom

Scar

#HarveyDent
what's that supposed to mean, i don't gotta do ****
just use this ranking

1. scar
2. hmw
2.5. zoap
3. bobbysiege
4. jb
6. mooninite
5. me
7. brandon
8. phil
below 7/8: darrell
10. pewfat
11. L
12. pokey =D
13. brandondortf
12. bobbysiege
14. azusa and mooninite

dead: zel, tang, lucien, rey
4th or some ****: bob$, shroom
this is correct

shehehe11

Smash Apprentice
i think you should definitely charge 5 dollars for the venue fee just because you have to compensate for discounts on tvs and systems. at the west san jose tourney, we generated 70ish dollars from the $5 venue fee with crazy discounts (32 entrants) but we got a ton of setups.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the venue sounds nice, granted that is hearsay (from those who recommended it, not the owner). they routinely hold other types of tournaments there, so i can't imagine it's a dump. i never really intended to charge $5 for venue fee b/c there appears to be significant demand, i don't want to deter people from attending and i don't really mind eating a few bucks in the worst case.

that said, even if the venue isn't that nice please recognize that we're also--i would argue primarily--paying for convenience by saving time and money driving/barting/busing/etc to go to san francisco or elsewhere in the bay. of course this logic only applies to people closer to the south bay, but that is clearly the target group. of course i hope others come as well

if i decide i need to charge $5, any profit would go to hosting another tourney (the owner has said that if the event runs smoothly we may be able to arrange a monthly tournament or something to that effect), or the good player fund or something like that. again, i don't plan on doing so, but any surplus is going back to the community anyway
don't fret asking for the money and DEFINITELY don't even consider 'eating a few bucks'. There's absolutely no reason for you to pay anything out of pocket; it's a cost that should be paid by everyone, not just you

Top Bottom