• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
God apex 2012 was the worst tournament I've ever been to

Reason number 87 why I haven't registered
^^^^^

also a 128 man bracket is ridiculous. it would take longer than pools, WB players would be waiting forever, worse players would play less matches, and it would provide inaccurate results heavily influenced by seeding. i thought alex strife had a team working with him. is this really being considered?

EDIT: just read about bracket pools. wat

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
1) Melee is at 160 registrants with 18 days left. That's fantastic. History shows that attendance doubles in the last week of registration. I don't think we'll get that here since there were multiple price increases, but nevertheless I expect historic numbers. There will be ~4 new registrants a day for the next two weeks, totalling to ~216 by the final 4 days. Then numbers will boom and we'll see 300+ easy. Maybe even 350+.

It's going to be one of the biggest Melee tournaments of all time. There is no doubt about that.

2) Let's assume round robin pools of 8. If there are 360 people, there'd be 45 pools. For a pool of 8 to run efficiently, it needs 4 setups. So 180 setups in total. With 2 waves, you'd need 92 setups. And with 4 waves, you'd need 48. Now, there will be more than 48 setups (I'd expect ~70?), but what about the three-quarters of the room who's pool isn't currently going on? They'll want friendly setups. And if you use 48 for tournament, ~270 people will be fighting over whatever setups are left.

Compare that with bracket pools, which reduces to a couple setups per pool very quickly.

It's a logistics issue, and though you may not agree, there are reasons behind it. I'm not even sure if I like it, but I understand it at least.

Lvdr

Smash Rookie
I state that goal with less than complete seriousness, and luck will be my primary asset.

I do want to improve as a player though.

Mahone

Smash Champion
128 man bracket just sounds like a nightmare to me in every way

im probably gonna go as a spectator again cuz that was fun

Mahone

Smash Champion
who's going to the fest tomorrow?

i was planning on returning to nova on like wednesday but if a lot of people are gonna be there tomorrow ill head up tomorrow morning

Bones0

Smash Legend
You're a cool dude, Ether. Hope to see you again sometime. I am pretty salty about getting Ken comboed like 5 times in such few games. lol

hot$

Smash Ace
A. Tiger woods is half Asian (or to some degree Asian) B. his face seriously resembles tigers. C. That's not racist at all. I'm simply saying he looks like another person. Another example. Vist kinda looks like a Channing tatum/mark walberg mix. Strikingly similar

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
This is why I hate blacks and Asians. They make hot$ out to be the bad guy when he's being racist even if he's not discriminating. The oppression us white males have to deal with these days is ridiculous. YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND OUR STRUGGLE.

hot$

Smash Ace
I love you bones. /favorite

But seriously...he's right. I didn't mean any harm by my comment. Perhaps wenbo was trolling. /shrug

:phone:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I thought I was clearly not being serious
I guess you don't know how I've mistaken every black actor for Samuel L Jackson

Top Bottom