• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oak's Laboratory - The Mechanics and Advanced Techniques of Pokémon Trainer

WestCoastNinja

Smash Cadet
I think I may have discovered a new ivysuar tech. I did a nair to jab vs a GnW and it seemed to lock him into his backward falling animation. Im not sure because I havent tested but im hoping it works like lazor lock and lets you get in a whole lot more damage. If it works I shall name it vine lock. xD

Now to go test....

EDIT:Nope. I tried it and although good for racking up 25-35 damage it dosent keep them juggled any longer then a regular jab.

SonicBlind

Smash Rookie
Awesome thread, isn't Charizard's Rock Smash Similar 2 a counter or a shield?

Fearmy

Smash Ace
no, because they use a reflecting move on it, or just break the Rock. let's take Fox For Example, he can use his blaster to Destroy the Rock, and he can also Reflect the Little Fragments that Come at Zard

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Pointless thing:

Vine Whip Cancel. If you use an aerial vine whip and land on a platform that you didn't just come from, Vine Whip will suffer no ending lag.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if that's useful or not, but at least your opponent doesn't have a free shot at punishing you.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
for all the great advanced techniques, where are some actual match videos where I can see things like "combat walk" and "jab lock" (all done by Squirtle) in action. I have been looking at lots of later month videos of 1 on 1 and some 3 player free for alls. Those don't show those moves at all.

The training demonstrations are nice, but I want to see some actual matches where this is being pulled off. I want to develop my PT "to be the very best, the best there evar was", but I need visual learning...PRETTY PLEASE!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
The sliding Fsmash is my fav sofar...that smash is devastating when charged.,,,,so if u manage to mindgame the attack very well, it becomes very handy ,specially for edgerollers.

Now.... what iwould like someone to explain to me..... is how i do the sliding Fsmash.... but in the direction im sliding!!................. samurai panda seems to do it in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZg0f8RTMOg at 6:47 , but he dont knows how he did it....so help with this matter will be higly appreciated.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
for all the great advanced techniques, where are some actual match videos where I can see things like "combat walk" and "jab lock" (all done by Squirtle) in action. I have been looking at lots of later month videos of 1 on 1 and some 3 player free for alls. Those don't show those moves at all.

The training demonstrations are nice, but I want to see some actual matches where this is being pulled off. I want to develop my PT "to be the very best, the best there evar was", but I need visual learning...PRETTY PLEASE!
Jab Locking is actually Very Hard to pull off, it's way harder then Lazer Locking, but what i've seen is when i do a F-throw Quick, They tend to be in the lying down state, that's when you can do it to them usually, You can do a U - tilt to footstool to Light Nair, but that's actually harder then it seems :dizzy:

Kakashi421

Smash Cadet
I found the Advanced Techniques for Squirtle were the most helpful, since I don't get how someone could find that on their own without looking at videos or guides.
I've gotten better with PT with this guide, it's VERY helpful.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Jab Locking is actually Very Hard to pull off, it's way harder then Lazer Locking, but what i've seen is when i do a F-throw Quick, They tend to be in the lying down state, that's when you can do it to them usually, You can do a U - tilt to footstool to Light Nair, but that's actually harder then it seems :dizzy:
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
I found the Advanced Techniques for Squirtle were the most helpful, since I don't get how someone could find that on their own without looking at videos or guides.
I've gotten better with PT with this guide, it's VERY helpful.
sorry about that >< not that many contributors to the PT community

Kakashi421

Smash Cadet
I think so, it might not be. I haven't seen Squirtle being able to slide with his d-smash.
I just tried it too...I couldn't slide as far as you did.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
down smash ;)

i know, normally you don't slide that far but as I said i think i cancelled the slide from the side smash slide (the one from the video from panda) into a down smash by first tapping c-> then c down + z right after each other in the shellshift animation...I think it's done like that but I haven't been able te dublicate it that many times, 9 out of 10 times I'm doing a sliding f smash.

Kakashi421

Smash Cadet
Thats odd. I think you somehow did a mix of the dash+c-down+z-up thing. I can't remember what its called. I want to learn how to do that, it looks like it's helpful.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
a dacus only with a down smash?!

then it might be possible without shellshift but I doubt it.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I have done tahtcracker.. but i thing is not new.
I sometimes manage to pull it but is pretty hard..the hardest ofthe smashes so far because the timing is weird and is more precise.

i do it by using the c stick diagonally down (to the opposite side of the slide) and holding z bu i RARELY slide that far. Is pretty tough.

maube im wrong also :p

Fearmy

Smash Ace
yeah same timing as Hydroplane, Move the C-stick to a 45 degree of the opposite way you are facing. I don't even know what to call it @_@;

Kakashi421

Smash Cadet
Sorry for double post.

I checked about the Super Armor Down Taunt awhile ago, and you flinch when you get hit. So no Super Armor Taunt!

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Sorry for double post.

I checked about the Super Armor Down Taunt awhile ago, and you flinch when you get hit. So no Super Armor Taunt!
D:

awww that would've been awesome if would happen D:

oh and if you turn around when you shell shift, you can actually slide while standing 0.0

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
is the down smash glide explained on the first page btw? I thought it had something to do with holding the stick diagonally but I also thought that you would have to switch it to down or something..., but maybe this move can sometimes be better than up smash or f smash because when you do this perfectly but don't charge it you slide with a nice hitbox...I maybe a quarter of final destination, where f smash stops your momentum and up smash only has one place where it hits (or 2 > _<) down smash glides while doing the move while constantly having its hitbox I THINK but I don't know for sure.

squirtle is so awesome, gliding feels so nice.

yeah, checked it, his hitbox is even HALF FINAL DESTINATION when you do it perfectly because he slides all the way still using down smash, pretty easy now I know it only has to be in an angle, also at high percent it sends the enemy horizontally..also pretty handy. at low percentage though it has really low knockback so you can always combo in a up tilt or something.. I also always thought you had to have tap jump on for hydroplaning but I finally figured out you can also do it with y/x and a :p

is the gliding grab already explained btw...it is REALLY awesome when it happens in a match and you glide all the way to the edge and you get a free shot to try and edge guard, it happens to me when I do c and z at the same time or something but I dont know.

also the f smash glide THE SAME SIDE your facing has something to do with switching the control stick quickly to the other side, againn not sure though.

another (useless) thing I found was a MASSIvE retreating grab, the lenght of a hydroplane and like the other weird grab i just talked about but its backwards, you shellshift en quikly move the stick in the other direction you where going so lets say the enemy is in the right part of final destination, you run to him, shellshift back, and to the control stick thingy and now you should be facing the right side again. if you press z somewhere between those tings (I don't know the timing) you will grab while retreating with a massive amout of distance. when you don't do it correctly you'll dash to the opponent and grab him or you'll just slide a little bit back. as I said totally useless unless you want to retreat very fast while facing the opponents way without lag or something. I think it's something like a pivot grab but because of the shellshift you'll glide...

zeta

Smash Journeyman
So i was practicing shell shifted smashes today and i actually did the forward aimed forward smash don't know how i did it, but thats not what i came here to talk about. I did a shell shifted jab combo. I've only be able to duplicate it once. I was trying to do a shell shifted dsmash but the jab combo came out instead. I'm gonna try and duplicate both. If i ever figure them out i'll be sure to post about them. Just thought i'd put it out there, see if anyone had done it and or knows how to do it.

EDIT FOR A BIG BREAK THROUGH!!!!

The Forward aimed shell shifted Forward smash!

Inputs: (ex. initial position facing right) dash left shell shift right while squirtle is in his shell press left and just before he pops out press right A.

The reason this works: pressing left while squirtle is in the shell will turn him around in the buffering system then press right A causes him to do his forward smash. The extra sliding we recieve from a shell shift is caused by pressing away from the direction squirtle is facing. Turning squirtle around while he is in the shellshift allows us to aim this forward because squirtle is now facing backwards.:laugh::laugh::laugh: confusing maybe but it works!

as a side note this requires really fast fingers. I've only been able to replicate this at 1/2 speed but with practice i'm sure i can train my fingers to be fast enough to do it at normal speed.

second side note i've also gotton the shellshifted jab combo out a few times while working on this. I assume that it is done in a similar fashion except the lack of teh forward smash.

second edit: so i can do it in real time now, after playing around with it shifted downsmash is easier and more practical imo. you never know though forward smash has buff frames(super armor). However i do see the shell shifted jab combo doing some good. i can only do it facing backwards. I guess i just have to figure out how to turn that around.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
what do you actually mean with the jab combo, jab combo while sliding? btw, I have a ( some sort of worthless) video of the weird backwards grab slide but my cable stuff is being...weird and I can't upload it yet =_=

I'm going to try the forward smash now ;)

e: ha, I see, when i was trying the forward smash I did that backwards jab thing....but my guess it won't be very usefull.

another edit: there's an easy way to do the forward f smash, you hust turn around in the shellshift like you said but after that you just hold the c stick to the right + z and it will work to, really easy.

I keep editing :) I just was just checking some things and I found out that my weird grab (retreating with a grab while covering a large distance) has all to do with flicking the stick to the opposit direction you're facing from the shellshift and right after pressing z, BUT as you may noticed when you only flick the controller at the right time you will glide without the grab and this is the part where you can input almost anything you want while sliding, I think that's where zeta was talking about with the jab combo, you can slide while doing multiple jabs. also the f smash works just the smae way, by inputting a f smash while just normally gliding,
you can do all your smahes retreating, so let's say inputting a up smash while you're gliding backwards results in a backward gliding up smash, maybe not all that helpful becuase it's way more easy to just to the normal up smash or something but it just looks really awesome, not very usefull, but awesome.

also I think zeta found the solution of the forward shellshift grab with his forward f smash but I'm going to test that now. you will have to switch the control stick twice and then pressing z....thats going to be difficult but it could be possible

Fearmy

Smash Ace
So i was practicing shell shifted smashes today and i actually did the forward aimed forward smash don't know how i did it, but thats not what i came here to talk about. I did a shell shifted jab combo. I've only be able to duplicate it once. I was trying to do a shell shifted dsmash but the jab combo came out instead. I'm gonna try and duplicate both. If i ever figure them out i'll be sure to post about them. Just thought i'd put it out there, see if anyone had done it and or knows how to do it.

EDIT FOR A BIG BREAK THROUGH!!!!

The Forward aimed shell shifted Forward smash!

Inputs: (ex. initial position facing right) dash left shell shift right while squirtle is in his shell press left and just before he pops out press right A.

The reason this works: pressing left while squirtle is in the shell will turn him around in the buffering system then press right A causes him to do his forward smash. The extra sliding we recieve from a shell shift is caused by pressing away from the direction squirtle is facing. Turning squirtle around while he is in the shellshift allows us to aim this forward because squirtle is now facing backwards.:laugh::laugh::laugh: confusing maybe but it works!

as a side note this requires really fast fingers. I've only been able to replicate this at 1/2 speed but with practice i'm sure i can train my fingers to be fast enough to do it at normal speed.

second side note i've also gotton the shellshifted jab combo out a few times while working on this. I assume that it is done in a similar fashion except the lack of teh forward smash.

second edit: so i can do it in real time now, after playing around with it shifted downsmash is easier and more practical imo. you never know though forward smash has buff frames(super armor). However i do see the shell shifted jab combo doing some good. i can only do it facing backwards. I guess i just have to figure out how to turn that around.
The Jab combo isn't really new, but the Fsmash in the same direction, Well you are going to be wasting the time you get from the system. But if this is the only way you've done it congrats, but i'm sure there is another way, I've done it before by trying to attempt a Hydroplane D-smash.

Oh and you can Turn around again for the Jab Combo to go forward.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
quote from myself:

"there's an easy way to do the forward f smash, you hust turn around in the shellshift like you said but after that you just hold the c stick to the right + z and it will work to, really easy."

okey, it's not really easy but it is more east than the other way.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
The Jab combo isn't really new, but the Fsmash in the same direction, Well you are going to be wasting the time you get from the system. But if this is the only way you've done it congrats, but i'm sure there is another way, I've done it before by trying to attempt a Hydroplane D-smash.

Oh and you can Turn around again for the Jab Combo to go forward.
what do you mean "wasting the time u get from the system" and how do you turn the jab combo aroung?

Fearmy

Smash Ace
what do you mean "wasting the time u get from the system" and how do you turn the jab combo aroung?
from what i'm getting at, unless you and i are thinking something else. Just turn around again, and the waste is because of the Turning around animation + the F-smash is basically not worth it.

Top Bottom