• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Matchup Chart v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Opinons on Marth vs. TL

Very stage dependent MU. Due to Boomerang's anti-air abilities, it can be very, very difficult for Marth to get in on Toon Link. Marth WILL take damage trying to hunt down a Toon Link who understand how to use all his tools. Additionally, if the Toon Link can SDI Dancing Blade, he is difficult to punish. Marth's real damage comes from finally catching the Toon Link, and punishing him offstage. Platform layout has a LOT to do with this. Since Toon Link's jump and overall mobility is so ridiculous, Marth must depend on waiting, reads, and his range to capture and punish Toon Link's camping. This is a close MU, and it's very stage dependant. Even or very slight advantage to Marth, but leaning towards even at this point in time.

Opinions on MK vs. TL.

LOL, FOR ONCE, I'll say that this is where MK is like Marth, but better. MK can hunt Toon Link much easier because Mach Tornado leads to easy catches, MK has better ground speed than Marth, and MK can actually commit to chasing Toon Link in the air. Since Toon Link isn't really a grounded character, Marth's sweeping and limiting Fair hitbox isn't broken in that MU, so MK's Fair does what it needs to do. Shuttle Loop threatening easy kills, especially off Toon Link trying to pull a bomb (hence having lag and possibly bad DI) also aid MK tremendously. Otherwise, the MU plays out about the same as I just described with Marth. Being able to fly and chase Toon Link into the air, and EASILY catch his landings makes a big difference though, so this is a SOLID disadvantage for Toon Link.

Opinions of Fox vs. MK

First, I'll comment on the video above. Those players were relatively skilled. I saw a lot of American habits, so I'm quite surprised on how Japan's metagame has progressed.

First off, Fox's Triple Laser technology is really underrated. If you are distant from Fox at any time, you are taking damage, and you cannot avoid it. When I'm fighting Fox, I just pretend that the air during the match is poison gas, and Fox is wearing the gas mask. That is literally what happens to your percent.

The fastest way to approach Fox for MK is grounded. MK is slow in the air, and the air means more lasers. Even still, ALL of MK's grounded approaches are easily counter-able by Fox. Fox' SHAD is really amazing, as it leaves Fox with very little opening. Mach Tornado is easily blocked, and difficult to catch Fox with, as he spends little time off the ground. Fox is also easily able to Full Hop over Mach Tornado, and his rising speed rivals his Falling Speed. Standard grounded approaches give Fox the option to SHDair, which solidly beats tilts, grabs, or Dash attack. Dair also as good combo potential, although it can be SDIed. Fox' Bair is also safe on block, and I believe if done PERFECTLY is actually +4 on block, although this may not be possible on MK, due to MK's height (or lack of height)

If you pick any option that is not block, and Fox decides to Usmash, it is likely to trade. Since Usmash comes out really fast (I believe Frame 8) and Fox's dash speed is really dumb, this makes it extremely risky to even MOVE around Fox once you start getting in kill percent range. Just to give you an idea of how amazing this move is, against Marth, Fox is able to punish a tipper rising Fair that is fully retreated on block with shield drop -> Dash into Usmash.

Aside from this, Fox still has Dash attack, which is even faster. This means that waiting in range of Fox is tricky, unless you intend to block. Since blocking is now such a necessary option against Fox, it enables him to grab you. His grab game is quite powerful, as his Dthrow does 8 percent, and of course, this gives him distance. To laser you is completely safe, and refreshes all his moves. Considering his pummel is also good, his moveset is relatively fresh all the time, meaning that he can use Usmash freely to deliver damage. Usmash deals 18%. MK dies to Fresh Usmash at 96% (before the hit) on FD I THINK.

Addition to all of this, with platforms, Fox has excellent escape options. He can dance on top of them, and since he can just bounce around on them, he's exceptionally difficult to pressure. For sure, this is a situation MK WANTS to get Fox in, but it's still really hard to get while he's on a platform.

MK manages to punish Fox seriously when he lands a hit though. Between combos and edgeguards, MK definitely keeps himself in this game. Fox is relatively light himself, and can be comboed and edgeguarded effectively by MK. Additonally, MK can keep himself relatively safe, but the lasers do force him to approach. His UpB, Mach Tornado, and overall range and dashing shield give him decent options. Unfortunately, his Fair is unsafe as all hell, so to even attempt using it in any way except retreating Fair from a range as zoning will get him punished (unless his opponent is airborne at the time). Of course, zoning Fox is pointless, as he will laser you to death.

Due to Fox' amazing mix-ups at close range (jump escape, Dash Attack, Usmash, Grab, cross up, airdodge, amongst other standard options), ability to continuously force an approach and constantly wrack up damage, keep his moveset extremely fresh at all times, combo MK into kill percents relatively quickly, and K.O. MK with the softest of reads, even off easy trades, Fox definitely gives MK a hard run for his money in the head to head MU.

As far as stages are concerned, MK's counterpicks are more powerful than Fox', but Fox does have counterpicks. In addition to Fox having advantage on Battlefield and FD, Fox navigates Smashville exceptionally well. Yoshi's is variable, but it probably hinders MK about the same amount that it hinders Fox. Fox' recovery is dampened on Lylat, and his laser game is slightly affected, but I believe Fox' platform cancel game is underdeveloped, so I'm withholding my opinion on that stage for now.

I'm unsure what this MU looks like on PS1 at the moment, but I can't imagine Fox doing very poorly there.

Halberd is also extremely powerful for Fox. Killing MK below 90% consistently is just straight up ridiculous. It also has an excellent design to Fox to escape, and supports his laser based play.

I definitely do feel that MK's counterpicks against Fox are stronger than Fox' counterpicks against MK, but Fox DOES have strong counter-picks against MK, and I expect Fox to come out on top in the neutral, unless the ruleset has like, both Castle Seige and Delfino as neutral, in which case it's still a toss up.

Planking is also an issue, but it is realistic to expect Fox to gain AND keep the lead. Lasers automatically start Fox with the lead on most stages.

For this reason, I believe that the Fox MK MU is even, and leaning a tad bit more towards Fox, if he truly masters his defensive mix-ups.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Cuz that's how fighting games work, right?
The reason low tier characters are low tier is generally because they have a set of easily explotable traits rather than specific negative traits that require specific techniques or knowledge.

Knowing specific MUs for most low tiers is silly.

EDIT: Pierce, I love you. Most people never consider projectiles as a preventive measure vs planking.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The reason low tier characters are low tier is generally because they have a set of easily explotable traits rather than specific negative traits that require specific techniques or knowledge.

Knowing specific MUs for most low tiers is silly.
You don't see the merit in finding which characters in low tier have randomly GOOD match-ups with a character or two in high tier, despite their exploitable traits?

I'd think that were relevant to the metagame. Believe it or not, YL DID do decent against jiggz prior to Armada vs HBox.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
MK's range with moveset speed should not be ignored. Fox uses mix-ups to get most of his hits in with punishment. This is why I feel like Mk has an advantage in some respects, that and recovering. I'm not doen watch all the vids but it looks like people keep treating him like he is falco recovering and miss punishes.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You don't see the merit in finding which characters in low tier have randomly GOOD match-ups with a character or two in high tier, despite their exploitable traits?

I'd think that were relevant to the metagame. Believe it or not, YL DID do decent against jiggz prior to Armada vs HBox.
Why bother using the LT if there's an HT character that covers more bases as far as CPs go?

Regardless, low tier MUs in Brawl have a high tendency to be stage dependent and the only way we'll ever get a truly accurate chart is to do one of these charts for every stage and then average those charts. Also, each chart would have to have extensive play to actually get a number for each MU. Most of these MUs never occur on most stages.

But that would take forever so it'll never happen.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I remember hearing that Meep took a game off M2K at an MLG with his Fox

@ TeeVee, I think Tyrant and TKD know a little more about the match up than you guys do (especially since they MAIN these characters)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I guess we should have listened to some high level players when he said MK loses to Diddy and Olimar.

I don't blindly listen to people. Nor should anyone unless you agree with thier reasoning.

Fox probably has one of the better match-ups with MK, I do not think this includes even or Fox's favor.

mikeray4

Smash Ace
wow...just wow. you guys are ********. snake does not lose to olimar,pika,DDD or marth. MAYBE to MK but thats very close to even. Pika and falco dont go even with MK. both characters can come close...but they dont have what they need to beat the MK if the MK plays it right.

edit: besides MUs dont even matter when you get to the top tier charcters cause it then becomes knowing how to read and react to habits and pressure your opponent.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
A little off track but people keep talking about how the numbers do not make sense matchup wise. This is what I see the numbers as.

+4: 70:30 or better
+3: 65:35
+2: 60:40
+1: 55:45
+-0: ~55:45 to ~45:55, matchups too close to call
-1: 45:55
-2: 60:40
-3: 65:35
-4: 70:30 or worse

Back on track, all characters have matchups to learn and no matter the tier they all need their matchup knowledge. Thio I really hope you're trolling. There are people who play these lower tier characters and they, and WE; should learn them as not only it gives insight to how matches are played, you might discover something in the process that can transfer back to a higher tier character.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Back on track, all characters have matchups to learn and no matter the tier they all need their matchup knowledge. Thio I really hope you're trolling. There are people who play these lower tier characters and they, and US, should learn them as not only it gives insight to how matches are played, you might discover something in the process that can transfer back to a higher tier character.
haHA!

Oh wait, you're serious.

Let me laugh harder.

ETA: Mikeray is surprisingly dead-on. Stop focusing on little tricks before you nail the basics, people.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
wow...just wow. you guys are ********. snake does not lose to olimar,pika,DDD or marth. MAYBE to MK but thats very close to even. Pika and falco dont go even with MK. both characters can come close...but they dont have what they need to beat the MK if the MK plays it right.

edit: besides MUs dont even matter when you get to the top tier charcters cause it then becomes knowing how to read and react to habits and pressure your opponent.
Get this guy into the bbr immediately.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
low tiers are low tiers because we said they are. doesn't mean they really are or have an easily exploitable weakness like we imagine. you honestly never know with ANY character. you learn the match ups regardless

fkacyan

Smash Hero
low tiers are low tiers because we said they are. doesn't mean they really are or have an easily exploitable weakness like we imagine. you honestly never know with ANY character. you learn the match ups regardless
:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
A little off track but people keep talking about how the numbers do not make sense matchup wise. This is what I see the numbers as.

Back on track, all characters have matchups to learn and no matter the tier they all need their matchup knowledge. Thio I really hope you're trolling. There are people who play these lower tier characters and they, and WE; should learn them as not only it gives insight to how matches are played, you might discover something in the process that can transfer back to a higher tier character.
70:30 is unwinnable to you?

the number system is supposed to eliminate specifics, and to be more generalized. +1 does not mean one specific number, but can symbolize a range of ratios.

My interpretation was:

+1 - anything above 50-50 to about 60-40
+2 - about 60-40 to about 70-30
+3 - about 70-30 to about 80-20
+4 - anything worse than that.

I find people have always been too conservative/scared to drop reallygood/bad ratios is character boards. There is nothing wrong with saying a character loses 25-75 and only calling it a hard counter instead of unwinnable.

T-block

B2B TST

That's generally somewhat accurate, but the reason we decided to move away from using ratios like that is because they are not well-defined. What I perceive to be 60:40 may be different from what you perceive it to be.

Instead, you should take the descriptions for what they're worth:

-4: (close to) unwinnable
-3: large disadvantage/hard countered
-2: medium disadvantage
-1: small disadvantage
0: even
+1: small advantage
+2: medium advantage
+3: large advantage/hard counter
+4: (close to) unloseable

Rizk18

Smash Lord
I feel that a lot of the discussions currently going on is a result of LACK of MU knowledge.

The whole issue concerning "Fox beats MK," you do realize there are tons of MKs who don't bother to learn mid tier MUs? I'm sure if a high level MK knew how to fight Fox, it would be in MK's favor.
I agree with this.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I totally agree with pierce.
and LGLs exsist in this mu chart or really at every tournament. Why you would still bring up planking to time is beyond me.

fox also has decent options against you if you try coming up from the ledge.

if it wasn't for the fact mk gimps fox really well i'd be scared as **** LOL

edit: on a side note nakat told me a month ago that he thought pwii and havok both knew the fox mu fairly well. I don't know if this opinion has changed.

Trent

Smash Champion
Just to re-state, I'm not siding with either side concerning MK and Fox, for I don't play either character. I'm just seeing people post "Fox beats MK because TKD beats MKs!" Which doesn't make it true.

Chuee

Smash Hero
I guess we should have listened to some high level players when he said MK loses to Diddy and Olimar.

I don't blindly listen to people. Nor should anyone unless you agree with thier reasoning.

Fox probably has one of the better match-ups with MK, I do not think this includes even or Fox's favor.
Except nobody but M2K says MK loses to Diddy and I don't know who the **** thinks he loses to Olimar. Not to mention results don't show that Diddy and Olimar win.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
I have no clue how that list was worked out. :confused:

So what Snakes say doesn't matter, or does it mean that what Pits say matters more? Remember that there's two sides to every coin.
im not saying that their opinions are wrong or that ours is better. but seriously look at the statistics and watch some vids. pit easily goes even with snake with the match up favor switching drastically on counter picks. yet they share a common best stage (halberd) so really it is based on the less played counter picks. im just saying that this is one of those things that the second version of the chart needs to put more time into researching is all.

edit: lol under ADDITIONAL STATISTICS ganon is worse than metaknight is good! super lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
personally I can say from playing the matchup a lot, that tv is right, if the mk is devoted to camping its really hard for fox to mount an actual offensive, and unless the mk is overly agressive, or they dont know how to not air release when they get grabbed, getting the kill move off is a MASSIVE pain. Like, i feel that that part literally defines the matchup. because if you really devoted to shielding, foxs grabs are never going to kill you. so youre options become stupidly limited at that point.

I feel like if the mk is doing what hes supposed to be doing, I have an easier time killing him with falco and sonic than i do with fox.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Except nobody but M2K says MK loses to Diddy and I don't know who the **** thinks he loses to Olimar. Not to mention results don't show that Diddy and Olimar win.
Well obviously we know nothing about this and should never question a top player's opinion, we don't know better obviously so we should take their opinion as fact always.

See what I mean.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
too bad no one other than M2K agrees with you
A bunch of people do, actually, including TKD who knows how the matchup works on both sides better than anyone lol.

Until they bother to learn your MU. Its not in foxes favor or even by far
Really? Fox's walk is fast, and allows him to shield grab Dtilt, ftilt is ****ing unsafe, and Fair on wiff gets upsmashed.

Fox is the hardest, and most dangerous character to juggle due to shine, side B, fast fall speed, and his dair comboing into everything. Fox has approaches in which if he guesses right, MK takes damage, and if he guesses wrong, he takes damage. But due to Fox being tough to juggle, and MK dying earlier way earlier, Fox's punishments mean more.

Fox forces an approach easily, and MK has no really good approaches in this matchup. No better than Fox's just jumping into you option lol.

Dair camping gets *****, and Fox's recovery isn't that easy to beat.

TKD's been doing work for a long while now against MKs, and Trevonte at WGF beat Tearbear (IIRC anyways), me (I'm not good or anything so this doesn't matter really, but worth mentioning I suppose), Tyrant, and TKD's MK.

There are results, top players, and theorycraft backing it up.

It's ATLEAST even over a whole set.

personally I can say from playing the matchup a lot, that tv is right, if the mk is devoted to camping its really hard for fox to mount an actual offensive, and unless the mk is overly agressive, or they dont know how to not air release when they get grabbed, getting the kill move off is a MASSIVE pain. Like, i feel that that part literally defines the matchup. because if you really devoted to shielding, foxs grabs are never going to kill you. so youre options become stupidly limited at that point.
But if you land a grab, MK is now in the air, and you can literally just sit there and wait, and bait whatever he lands with and upsmash him. And if he just lands normally, he's lost a ton of stage control, and one more grab (if this one didn't send him off the stage already) and he has a faaaar harder time landing.

Sure, the kill isn't free, but MK can't land a kill safely AT ALL, and not until far later percents. Yeah if the MK keeps shielding it'll be tough for him to actually touch you...

And what prevents Fox from just doing a Mango (he does it a lot lol) and walking up to MKs shield and waiting out of up B range lol?

He gets CP'd fairly badly, but he probably wins on neutrals

I'm just seeing people post "Fox beats MK because TKD beats MKs!" Which doesn't make it true.
Trevonte does, too :p

D

Deleted member

Just to re-state, I'm not siding with either side concerning MK and Fox, for I don't play either character. I'm just seeing people post "Fox beats MK because TKD beats MKs!" Which doesn't make it true.
This.

And oh look, it repeats a couple posts above. Seriously, -1 ain't that bad, Foxy.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^Wait I didn't repeat that. I gave theorycraft, results, and top players in the matchup's opinions.

Isn't that like... all the evidence you can give for a matchup lol?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

LOL @ even the idea of this post qualifying for top class material. Where is the part were you back up your point without flaming? I'm gonna post the exact same thing below, but in a format of the way I'd expect a BBR member to post it.

What Mike Ray could've said said:
wow...just wow. i can't believe that so many people share that opinion. snake does not lose to olimar,pika,DDD or marth. snake has a really good tech chase game against olimar, and grenades destroy pikmin easily and create openings. snake kills pikachu easily, and can avoid deadly chaingrabs if he just camps. since pikachu has to get in close, grenades are a huge problem, as well as snake's tilts. Snake can also just camp D3, who has a difficult tie getting a rewarding grab if the Snake plays unpredictably and covers a lot of different options with explosives. And Snake's damage output on Marth is definitely in his favor and he gets WAY easier kills. MAYBE he loses to MK but thats very close to even, since MK must approach. Pika and falco dont go even with MK. both characters can come close...but they dont have what they need to beat the MK if the MK plays it right by camping in the air, and using good follow-ups when he gains the advantage.

edit: besides whie knowing your MUs is always important, we've seen that statistically, at high level play, superior basics such as reading habits, and good pressure is what wins.
I would straight up ignore the horrible structure of that post, if the content was at least of that caliber. Nevermind the fact that I happen to disagree with nearly everything you said. I think Snake DOES lose to all of those characters, but I mean, damn, at least give me some content to argue against. Olimar covers ground options better than Snake and has MORE opportunities to kill him and to remain safe. Pikachu gets in and out on Snake super easily, can out camp him well, has extremely deadly chaingrabs, and can trap him extremely well. Additionally, Pikachu's mobility DESTROYS Snake. DDD outranges Snake on the ground, has Dtilt out of Chaingrab, can remain safe, and edgeguards Snake really well. Additionally, he has his own weight to defend him. Marth can weave in and out of Snake's zoning, and wracks up massive damage off one hit, due to incredible follow-ups and juggling. Also, Marth gimps Snake incredibly well. I feel that's even atm. And IMO MK is +2 against Snake. It's gotten pretty bad. Having played Razer myself at Pound, I can say that Razer's recent success is due to superior playing, and EXCELLENT mindgames, but not necessarily due to an increase in Snake potential, just an increase in Razer's own skill.

I agree that Pikachu and Falco both SLIGHTLY lose to MK. -1 on both.

Unless the new standard is just to flame people and throw out opinions with no justification, I really don't see why that post is receiving any praise. I must be doing it wrong.

DUR HUR GUYS. FOX IS MID TIER, HOW COULD YOU MORONS EVEN THINK HE BEATS MK? OH LOOK, I'M SO SMART, BBR PLZ!!!!!!!

:urg:

D

Deleted member

hey auspher how does wolf beat ROB?
I actually play against a pretty decent R.O.B. so I don't necessarily think that Wolf beats him. I just don't see how it can go the other way, either. MU seems pretty even to me. Wolf's strong point against him is in the air(juggling), but R.O.B. can also hassle him offstage.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
But...can't you just cut out that part?
I would LOVE to. **** theorycraft.

TKD's been beating MKs for a while and Trevonte ***** MKs at WGF (idk about his results at other tournaments. IIRC that was his first out of region tourney).

People who know the matchup say it's even or in Fox's favor, such as TKD, who's been playing it for a long while, and has experience on both sides, and now refuses to play it as MK after losing to Trevonte because it's really difficult. And I can't think of any notable MKs who know the matchup who think that MK beats Fox, let alone anyone who's world class with both characters and has experience on both sides.

Laem

Smash Champion
wolf vs rob is like even as ****

btw
is it really that :083: that fox goes even with mk with TKD beating tyrant/havok, nakat beating nairo, trevonte apparently beating mks and that japenese fox beatin em as well? Open your eyes ppl, because whatever the number (-0.432 obv) may be, practicing fox will net you results.
4 is too much to call em all outlier.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i dont see how wolf ROB is even lol I agree with the MU chart. like wolf isn't a strong juggler at all..at least not the ones I've played but I've yet to play Kain so I could be waay off (though I have played seagull and choice, though only choice in like 1 friendly lol but still). wolf can't stay in the air long enough to chase ROB, and we can be safe on landing against most of the cast, we only get juggled hard by people with disjoints (ROB's mu with link is hella close for example lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom