• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule Set 3.1

TreK

Is "that guy"
The crowd is encouraged to leave the match without telling the stalling player, and ask a ref to come and see whether the planking player deserves a warning or not (or more than a warning)

If a player feels that his opponent is planking, rather than securing a way to go back onstage, he is encouraged (not forced) to walk away from the ledge and let that opponent go back onstage. If the opponent doesn't go back onstage or goes back to the ledge as soon as the player re-approaches, that means that opponent was indeed purposely planking and a ref should be asked to come and watch the set.

If a player is running away for more than two minutes in a row, or four minutes total, he is stalling the match. You must tell your opponent when you start counting the time he's been running away.
These are three potentially viable rules that could prevent stalling effectively.

They don't even need to be wrote down actually ; I already apply the first two myself. The third one was used, even if unofficially, in my pool at BBI : it's the staff member that was 'staffing' the pool that gave the idea actually.

Because if there is something I have to agree with, it is that the LGL (in its actual form ?) isn't as effective as it should. And it only applies to ledge camping, which isn't the only way to stall a match. But removing it without adding something else to replace it... Is really dumb. Unless you guys from the BBR want MK banned by next month.

And those rules I propose are probably still dumb. You guys are a lot smarter than me. And you guys are 100. You should be able to find another way to remove planking/stalling from tournament play, and it shouldn't be hard.

I like that stage list better though. Stage tiers was a great idea to represent the different mindsets. GJ.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I approve of this 3.1 version. :)

Though, I do agree on applying a LGL only to Metaknight and no one else as an official rule. Just my honest opinion.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
And those rules I propose are probably still dumb. You guys are a lot smarter than me. And you guys are 100. You should be able to find another way to remove planking/stalling from tournament play, and it shouldn't be hard.
Easier said than done, man. You're making cinderblocks look like spongecakes. There's a reason why we haven't found a concrete rule that can't be avoided or bent, and it's not because we're lazy. :ohwell:

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
just because their smarter doesn't mean its possible. You can't tell a genius to prove 2 + 2 = 5. Due to BBR rules they can't just ban planking uair or impose a LGL

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Much, much improvement here.

This is MUCH better and just about anyone would agree with this. THIS is a good ruleset.

bigman40

Smash Master
looooooooooooooool. Apparently people need everything should be completely sugarcoated for people to agree with things anymore.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Easier said than done, man. You're making cinderblocks look like spongecakes. There's a reason why we haven't found a concrete rule that can't be avoided or bent, and it's not because we're lazy. :ohwell:
I said that to motivate you haha
There must be a way... A way that is not 'ban MK' nor 'let's makes 20 rules just for MK and not ban him'.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Ports should be picked by Game and Watch Hammer numbers, not RockPaperScissors.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ports should be picked by Game and Watch Hammer numbers, not RockPaperScissors.
Did you really come from the apex stream to say that?
lol :p

looooooooooooooool. Apparently people need everything should be completely sugarcoated for people to agree with things anymore.
Sugar coated is an interpretation of the changes, not entirely correct one in my opinion though. 3.0 was understood as having little to no leeway and players were caught aghast at not having a real counter and counter/banned category any more. I worked to remove that lack of issue. You can't expect everyone to understand "here are 20 stages, go nuts".

Also as I said before, ignorance is strength; to troll/rage. We've provided (and will be providing) a lot more information on our choices. Because if you're informed, you either agree, or are able to argue effectively.
Revision 2 may or may not "fix" what problems you have.

Revision 1 aimed to remove the big issues people had with how we classified counter picks.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
clarify something for me, if MK gets a stock lead on my olimar. And constantly planks to try to time me out is that banned?

Not under the BBR ruleset. He can grab on to the ledge as many times as he wants, and there's no telling if he's actually planking to stall, or planking to get a better position.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Yes, that idea is from Apex. And it's a great idea. Try it out.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ok, I can live with this.
Oh my god...
OH MY GOD.

Did you really come from the apex stream to say that?
lol :p
Yes, that idea is from Apex. And it's a great idea. Try it out.
Lies.
Texas has been using G&W Judgment to determine ports for quite some time now.

=====

I love this rule set. Major, MAJOR props to Shaya, Marc, and everyone else that made this set possible.

Due to BBR rules they can't just ban planking uair or impose a LGL
I like this guy.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Well, I watched Apex, saw it, thought it was a good idea. I didn't say the original usage of it was from Apex. Either way, use it. Better than Rock Paper Scissors. Sometimes people pull gay **** like "gun" and "avalanche" and "random russian nuclear explosion." That ****'s stupid.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I think Paper should be banned. There is no reason why Paper beats Rock. Rock is still fine after interaction with Paper.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I think Paper should be banned. There is no reason why Paper beats Rock. Rock is still fine after interaction with Paper.
Not New Pork City. Once Paper gets the lead there, he can stall under the stage with his very slow fall speed. Absolutely broken.

In other news, I don't really feel like posting my SD rule logic here because .joel has already addressed our concerns (kind of....as much as he could anyway). Maybe I'll do it later.

:034:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
That's what I'm saying.

Rock smashes scissors, you can't use them. Scissors cut paper, you can sort of use paper but it probably feels bad for itself. Paper covers rock, rock is still fine and can still do his rock stuff. Paper just gets favoritism for being organic.

EDIT: On a serious note, I'm going to start testing some of the banned stages just to see the results. I encourage others to do the same. I really want to see Big Blue as a counterpick (...wait MK is probably good on it >_>) xD.

But, yeah, I plan on doing some testing. Figured it'd be better than discussing the principles of RPS.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Counterpick Group 3
Vote: (0-20-25)

We feel Distant Planet is another stage that was banned without proper justification.

The Bulborb was brought up as a ban reason because it instantly kills players regardless of percent. However, it was generally agreed that the lethal zone is too far removed from the main area to affect play to any significant degree. The creature is more likely to influence the match by providing a platform to recover than by taking a stock from a player.

Another concern was the presence of the walkoff. Although it is a sloped walkoff, some characters such as King Dedede and Pikachu can still use it to score early kills, but we deem it reasonable to expect the player to avoid such situations when playing against these characters, since taking your opponent to the blast zone generally has to be initiated facing the near blast zone while on the slope; this is a very specific situation that can reasonably be avoided.

It was also argued that the stage promotes camping strategies too heavily, with a very strong defensive position at the bottom of the slope and two ledges between which most characters can travel easily. In response, it was noted that the stage itself helps to combat abuse of such features. The rain flushes players out from the bottom of the slope, and the pellets provide even characters without projectiles with a means to combat camping. All in all, when considering that this stage was never given much of a chance to show that camping tactics are indeed overpowered, it was decided that Distant Planet should not be banned.

the bulborb was brought up?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Distant planet is terrible because the only ground to actually fight is a bouncy leaf that's 3 feet long.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I like how the ruleset barely changed, but people are accepting it now just because it was sugarcoated. Norfair for great justice.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
I like how the ruleset barely changed, but people are accepting it now just because it was sugarcoated. Norfair for great justice.
when 3.0 came out it was like WTF 20+ stages
the counterpick splitting really helps

Latias

Smash Journeyman
I love how the vote count went up 30 in 3 days,

which means no testing whatsoever.

troll harder bbr

Top Bottom