• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I can see these lists altering a lot within the next few months.....

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I can see these lists altering a lot within the next few months.....
and it certainly will. however some characters like MK and Falco probably will mantain their top status.

Chaco

Never Logs In
and it certainly will. however some characters like MK and Falco probably will mantain their top status.
Nope don't see it in the slightest...Flaco will go higher, Snake will drop, MK will stay God, but Diddy will be second, followed by lucario. And Yoshi will fall at low middle tier. =D Not even kidding Yoshi is in the renaissance stage currently.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Nope don't see it in the slightest...Flaco will go higher, Snake will drop, MK will stay God, but Diddy will be second, followed by lucario. And Yoshi will fall at low middle tier. =D Not even kidding Yoshi is in the renaissance stage currently.
Pffft, Yoshi will be much higher than that I reckon. Soon he will take over the World!

Just discovered a 0% Kill on Falco, Possible Infinite on Snake (Still needs testing). Man, If I keep going like this, I'm going to break the damm thing! :laugh:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Personally, I don't think Diddy will be second neither Lucario be third. the top 5 will be probably: MK, Falco, G&W, Snake and Diddy or Marth. I agree with you on Yoshi.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Mmac pwns

Also
M4F, ROB has a TON of bad match ups! Luigi, Pika, Kirby, you name it lol
ROB > Snake however

The sacred seven? I thought this was a joke, didn't know people were serious about them being better than others. o.O

My sacred 7

MK
G&W
Falco
Pika
Marth
D3
Zel/Shk

Chaco

Never Logs In
Add Yoshi to that...I think I found a double DR...somehow...it looks cool though...still needs some finding out...

Martial

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, according to this thread, Yoshi and Weegee counter half the bloody cast. I, for one, am putting no more stock in random matchup claims from the Green Brigade until their characters start placing.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, Yoshi is known to always go head to head with the top chars in every game.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Q: Is Fox better than Marth?
A: Marth is better.
You answered for yourself :D

As a matter of fact, for a long time Marth was ranked number one on the tiers. You could never win an argunment on whether Marth is better than Fox no matter which side you took. It would just be a matter of personal preference.
You meant to say Fox was #1 for years right?
Anywho, the melee list did become pretty accurate. It often came down to 1v1 things like Samus vs Jiggs and who was better because that was the only question left once everyone else was in place accordingly. Still, it has changed since the last version. :\

Boss really shows what Luigi is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt53flmF2m0

If only we had Luigi's like that in tournaments, maybe he'd place well.
That was nasty. Too good. :p

Add Yoshi to that...I think I found a double DR...somehow...it looks cool though...still needs some finding out...
I've never even tried the DR. :\
I do like dash fsmashes though. Cancel a DJ right off the ground during a dash is easy with the controls I use. And I have to use the same controls for every character cause of my Random so to Egg Toss without DJing I just have to be careful and steady. :\

Speaking of which, nice sig Bloosus, mines alright too ;P (sorry for mispelling lol)

Yoshi has skillz, but he'll never have the advantage over Zelda XP.... I hope o_O I think this goes to show how far Brawl still has to and will come.
Zelda >>>>>>>> Yoshi just like you said yeppers
And yeah, Barlw is like no where :D

Dynamism and mmac are made of pwn
I suck >_>
I don't even have the game right now cause at a tourney I hosted someone took it so I'm getting it back in like a week and haven't played in a couple weeks. When I'm at my best and at tourneys I still can't beat lil Cloudziez MK and yet his lil MK loses to Eggziez MK and other Falcoziez and Snakeziez and DKziez and Pikaziez and G&Wziez a boo I have work to do...
lol

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wow, these discoveries on Yoshi might make a big impact...I had a hunch about something...and it's holdingtrue so far, it's almost the brawl equivelant of WD with Yoshi...and only him due to Dr...still needs waaaay more testing though...and Mmac PM me.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Dynamism put my main in the sacred seven. Now i like him. (yes, that's how it works)

Mentally, i have trouble separating "MMac" and "Yoshi Metagame". I'll think stuff like "Yoshi Metagame has posted 9 times in this thread" or "If MMac advances, maybe MK won't be the best anymore". It's gotten pretty bad.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Where do you guys these 2 characters should place in tier lists.

Diddy
Toon Link
Diddy is probably better overall than TLink.

At best...
Diddy could be top of high tier.
TLink could be in mid of high tier

M4F:
Just noticed you said "below ROB does WARIO have a bad match up with"
my bad

First off, who is above ROB? He's not as good as people think. >_>
Straight forward answer though...in REVERSE ALFABEDIKAL

Only the decent ones that are actually significant, no softies.

CAPTAIN FALCON
Zelda
CAPTAIN FALCON
Sheik
CAPTAIN FALCON
Ness
CAPTAIN FALCON
Luigi
CAPTAIN FALCON
Captain Falcon
CAPTAIN FALCON
Bowser
CAPTAIN FALCON

Edit: And yeah I'm pretty much 99% pwn, 1% Random *** ****!!!
Mmac is 98% pwn, 1% Yoshi and 1% Metagame

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi has skillz, but he'll never have the advantage over Zelda XP.... I hope o_O I think this goes to show how far Brawl still has to and will come.
Don't worry, I'll find a way. The Zelda's can't hold back Yoshi forever.....

or can She O_o

and Mmac PM me.
Ok

Mentally, i have trouble separating "MMac" and "Yoshi Metagame". I'll think stuff like "Yoshi Metagame has posted 9 times in this thread" or "If MMac advances, maybe MK won't be the best anymore". It's gotten pretty bad.
:laugh:

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Dynamism?
You answered for yourself :D
Look, maybe the tier list I posted wasn't accurate. I haven't been on the boards much the past couple of months, and I haven't really been keeping up with the competitive rankings. A couple of months ago Toon Link and Wolf were considered top tier. Now they're not apparently. So sue me.

But if you're going to try to score points off of me by quoting me, at least be honest about it. Don't take what I say out of context. I didn't answer my own question. My whole point was that there was no answer to that question. And I stand by that. You can't put the characters in an exact rank. You can say that some characters are better than others, and in some games there might even be one character that's hands down the best(or worst), but there's never been any fighting game ever made where you could come up with an exact order that the characters are ranked in.

In Melee there were like 5 characters that were considered the overall best in the game. You couldn't pick one of those 5 characters and prove that they were the best. You could think that one of them was the best, but that would just be an opinion. So if I was using Peach, and I lost to a Fox it was pretty safe to assume that it was because the Fox player was the better player. But if I was using Mewtwo and lost to a Fox, I could make an argument that it was because they used a better character. I couldn't really make that argument if I was using Peach because both Peach and Fox are considered to be among the best characters.

Btw, the reason that I keep using Melee as an example is because there's already an existing tier list for Melee and I figured that it was a game that most people here would be familiar with.

Dynamism?
You meant to say Fox was #1 for years right?
Anywho, the melee list did become pretty accurate. It often came down to 1v1 things like Samus vs Jiggs and who was better because that was the only question left once everyone else was in place accordingly. Still, it has changed since the last version. :\
I don't really know what you're talking about. Fox, Sheik, and Marth have all been ranked #1 at one time or another.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
um... you answered yourself in the Marth > Fox in melee, I never meant to address anything Barlw >_>

I guess I'll catch you up. Or something...

Sheik was #1 for a couple years. After a while, Fox and Falco > her because shine combos and WDing became so prominent. Fox was #1 with Falco #2 from pretty much then to now. On the most current list they still are. Marth has never been #1 but a modern list would have him #1. The list that was in proccess had him #1 before Brawl interfered with its developement, making it the first time Marth would be first.

Sheik was then better than Marth and Peach for a loooong time before Marth passed her. On the most recent list, Peach > Sheik for the first time ever. And the top 5 are certainly in that order, Marth>Fox>Falco>Peach>Sheik as those characters have been disected to the last pixel in play.

And the entire list has changed over time but from that it has become accurate on a character to character bases as much as possible. Which is enough to depict it really. There will always be changes but it's rare and minor.

a77

Smash Cadet
um... you answered yourself in the Marth > Fox in melee, I never meant to address anything Barlw >_>

I guess I'll catch you up. Or something...

Sheik was #1 for a couple years. After a while, Fox and Falco > her because shine combos and WDing became so prominent. Fox was #1 with Falco #2 from pretty much then to now. On the most current list they still are. Marth has never been #1 but a modern list would have him #1. The list that was in proccess had him #1 before Brawl interfered with its developement, making it the first time Marth would be first.

Sheik was then better than Marth and Peach for a loooong time before Marth passed her. On the most recent list, Peach > Sheik for the first time ever. And the top 5 are certainly in that order, Marth>Fox>Falco>Peach>Sheik as those characters have been disected to the last pixel in play.

And the entire list has changed over time but from that it has become accurate on a character to character bases as much as possible. Which is enough to depict it really. There will always be changes but it's rare and minor.
Uh... on the most recent list Sheik is higher than both Marth and Peach.

If there was a new Melee tier list it'd probably look something like...

Marth, Fox, Sheik, Falco, Peach, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Doctor Mario, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, etc.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Except the attack lasts a while. He can do nothing else while it's going. If you're close you have plenty of time to jump and hit with a down air from above or back air from behind. I never said fireballs cancel it either, I said fireballs cancel "most" attacks. Game & Watch's back air is very good when it catches your opponent by surprise but it's not super broken like many of you seem to believe. It has its weaknesses just like any other attack.

A bunch of Game and Watch fanboys doesn't change facts. Luigi has a disadvantage but G&W doesn't "destroy him" like you seem to believe. Upon checking, the Luigi boards think the match up is 60%/40% in favor of G&W. I think I now I agree with that, as long as the player is actually good and doesn't just spam the turtle, thinking they're unstoppable.
Did this guy seriously just call me a G&W fanboy?

Wow. I will **** your **** so bad that you will wonder why you even play this game. After that, I will turn your mom into a Hylian fangirl.

You know nothing.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Wow. I will **** your **** so bad that you will wonder why you even play this game. After that, I will turn your mom into a Hylian fangirl.

You know nothing.
I lol'ed.

Ugh, according to this thread, Yoshi and Weegee counter half the bloody cast. I, for one, am putting no more stock in random matchup claims from the Green Brigade until their characters start placing.
QFT.

I know ya'll have some valid points when it comes to defending your respective characters (Yoshi and Luigi), but like I said pages ago (about Yoshi): Until I see people crawling out of the woodwork and start placing somewhere in the top five at major (and recognized) tournaments like FAST 1 with Yoshi (and Luigi), then I don't wanna hear about how great said character is. Tournament results are still a very important thing to consider and are a reflection of the metagame as a whole.

Smooth Criminal

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
By getting this offensive, you look like fanboys to me. If you weren't then that comment wouldn't bother you. (Insecure much?) And the whole turtle argument. I'm way past that. It's old news so I won't get into it again.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Dynamism?
um... you answered yourself in the Marth > Fox in melee
No I didn't.

Dynamism?
I could swear Marth was ranked number one at some point, but it really doesn't make any difference.

Dynamism?
And the top 5 are certainly in that order, Marth>Fox>Falco>Peach>Sheik as those characters have been disected to the last pixel in play.
Yeah, except that a year ago it was Fox>Falco>Sheik>Marth>Peach and the year before that it was Sheik>Fox>Marth>Peach>Falco. Next year it could be something completely different. There is no for certain ranking of the characters. All people know for sure is that those are the top 5, but you can't put them in any particular order. They just change it up every now and then when they get bored of looking at it.

I know how important it is for people to be able to say "My main is the 3rd best character", but it's not that simple. All you can really say is "My main is one of the best characters."

There's good characters, decent characters, bad characters, crap characters, ect... but there's no exact order from best to least.

If there really is an exact order, then why do we need different ranks? What's the point of have a "top tier" rank, a "mid tier" rank, ect... what you could just list the characters in order and number them 1, 2, 3, 4,.....?

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
If there really is an exact order, then why do we need different ranks? What's the point of have a "top tier" rank, a "mid tier" rank, ect... what you could just list the characters in order and number them 1, 2, 3, 4,.....?
A different tier means a great distance between the characters. That means the difference between MK and Snake is significantly greater than the difference between Snake and whoever's third best.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman

You know nothing.
You had soo much to criticize from that post, but you had to resort to "your mom" attacks?

Please tell me you're not actually this angry.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
By getting this offensive, you look like fanboys to me. If you weren't then that comment wouldn't bother you. (Insecure much?) And the whole turtle argument. I'm way past that. It's old news so I won't get into it again.
That whole "zomg if you don't let me falsely stereotype you, then you're just insecure and I'm right!" argument used to work, but no one really listens to that bull**** scapegoat of an argument anymore.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Sooooo..... Where you guys think Olimar will be in tiers?

Many say he has way to gimped a recovery to be good at all, but I think that in the right hands he can just DPS like crazy, and that won't really matter. Thoughts?

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
What's the consensus on ZSS at this point?

She has a great move for keeping an opponent at bay (forward b), a good projectile if used properly, which also has hit stun. Her Dsmash isn't a typical dsmash; It doesn't hit on both sides, but even still it's a GREAT move. It leads to some pretty awesome combos (dsmash>>> dsmash>>>nair, dsmash>>>dsmash>>>SHuair>>>Up B spike>>>Up tilt). Her aerials are fast and powerful, and her recovery isn't bad at all if you take into account her down B>>>DJ recovery, as well as her tether.

A big disadvantage of course is her horrible grab game (you shouldn't grab with ZSS). The only time I would grab is if I hit with my lazer or Dsmash. Then it's a viable option...although there are better ones still in that situation.

What are most people's thoughts on where Zero Suit Samus ranks on the tier list?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Boss really shows what Luigi is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt53flmF2m0

If only we had Luigi's like that in tournaments, maybe he'd place well.

Sadly (well, not that sad), he mains Mario and not Luigi, so Luigi won't see the light of winning for now :(. I wish he'd used both equally, it would be so cool for someone to be a pure Mario Bros mainer :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom